Viljandi Travel Guide

• Viljandi
  • Things to Do

Viljandi Things to Do

• Ruins of the castle

The construction of the castle started in 1224. After some reforms it got its final shape in the 16th century.

• Old Water Tower

The water deposit was built in 1911, over a tower 30 m high. The deposit capacity was 300 m^3.You can visit the tower from 11.00 to 18.00 h, the entrance fee is only 1 €. You will climb a spiral staircase and on top you will enjoy a fantastic view of Viljandi, 360º. There are two levels, the main sights are pointed and there are many pictures of...

• Tourist office

When we arrived at Viljandi, the first we saw was the tourist office. I was very surprised to find a very kind and friendly young man who gave me a leaflet in Spanish and a map of the town. The leaflet was very useful as we could visit the sights following an order and it contained a brief explanation of each one. In the tourist office you can also...

• Suspension bridge

The bridge was a gift to the city by Karl von Mensenkampf, lord of the Tarvastu Manor, in 1931. Suspended over the moat, it is 50 m long.The bridge has been reconstructed in several ocasions, being the last in 1995.

• St. John

The church was built in 1464. It was part of a Franciscan convent.During the soviet period it was used as a warehouse

• Viljandi suspention bridge

Viljandi suspention bridge was a gift from Karl von Mensenkampff in 1928 and in 1931 it was installed across the castle park valley. The bridge was reconstructed in 1995 and its length is over 50 meters.

Viljandi Hotels

Viljandi Restaurants

• Aitana's Profile Photo

by Aitana Written Oct 11, 2013

I don't know the name of the restaurant, but it was at Pikk Street, in front of the car parking at Vabaduse plats. The restaurant has a terrace with a nice view of St. John church.
    The plates were generous as you can see in the picture and we tried a local brand of beer, Karksi.
    We finished with an ice cream. We paid for all 20 €.

Viljandi Transportation

• by piraaja Written Jul 21, 2004

If you are going to the Viljandi Folk Festival, you might want to take the Folk train, which leaves in the morning of the first festival day and leaves late at the last day, so you don't have to miss a lot of concerts. The ticket this year (2004) is 60 eek. You can buy tickets online and even book a seat.

• Festivals
    • Music

Viljandi Shopping

• WanderingFinn's Profile Photo

by WanderingFinn Written Sep 19, 2008

This shop is actually a subsidiary of the Finnish department store chain Anttila. I didn't know they have one in Estonia until I saw it in Viljandi.

Now I know it may sound ridiculous to many of you; but I am no follower of the latest fashion and I don't need to prove anything by wearing extremely expensive logo clothing. And - Anttila has nice clothes, nothing wrong with them. I know very many "decent" people in "good positions" who actually buy their clothes from this chain. I would say it is sensible use of money :) Many have asked me if I "again have some nice new fancy clothe/dress/shirt/skirt" and I just smile to myself...

Go and see - you'll be surprised of the prices. (At least still in 2007).

What to buy: Anything! Especially clothes.

It was a shopping paradise for us who came from one of world's most expensive countries: clothes cost some 1/3 of the prices of Tallinn (which already is cheaper than Helsinki).

I came out with a winter leather jacket, boots, leather handbag, my husband with several shirts, pullovers and many more. I was very satisfied - I don't even want to know how much should I have paid for those in Finland. Actually - I couldn't have afford at all!

What to pay: Very little to what you are used to! That is all what I can tell. Everything depends on what and how much you buy.

Viljandi Local Customs

• by piraaja Written Jul 21, 2004

... when during the Folk Festival the town changes into a half-hipi camp ground. (at least looks like that). There are accomodations, quite cheap kind, in schools, which means no actual beds or rooms, but matrases.. or whatever you wish to sleep on. There are washing facilities in a few local health centers (spas) which have been arranged for men and women on separate times or days. You find people sitting on the streets, drumming or playing whatever they play.

• Festivals
    • School Holidays
    • Study Abroad

Viljandi Off The Beaten Path

• Viljandi - a cosy little town in...

Usually when people travel to Estonia, they go to the capital Tallinn. It is a nice city indeed, but I suggest everyone to see other lovely places too. First of all, as soon as you are 10 kms away from Tallinn, the prices go down steeply. In Estonia it is easy to tour with a car around the cities; it is not that big country. Also public...

• Countryside near Viljandi

Estonia is not a country of big cities and its beauty lies in the stunning and untouched nature. Don't miss the opportunity to experience some of it!

• Viljandi Hotels

2 Hotels in Viljandi

13 Reviews and Opinions

Viljandi Favorites

• VILJANDI CASTLE RUINS

The view from the Viljandi Castle ruins is beautiful. The surrounding area is peaceful.Being located in part of history makes onesense or think about the hardships that the defenders of this Castle encountered in trying to protect their homeland.

• BEAUTIFUL SCENE FROM VILJANDI

THE BEAUTIFUL SCENERY SURROUNDING VILJANDI IS A MUST. FROM THE OLD CASTLE RUINS TO THE RIVER VALLEY. IT IS A SITE TO HOLD YOU BREATHLESS FROM THE PAST THE HAD OCCURED HERE. MY FONDEST MEMORY OF ESTONIA IS THE BEAUTIFUL LAND THAT IS NOT CROWDED WITH THE EASE OF NOT BEING LOCATED IN A TOURIST TRAP.

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Viljandi? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Instant Answers: Viljandi

Comments

Explore Deeper into Viljandi
Lake Viljandi