The excavations of this early Christian Basilica started in 1927. It is located on the grounds of the Church of St Nikola.
The basilica has a three naval shape, with narthex and a baptistery with a square basis. It dates from the 4th or 5th century.
According to some guides, there should be mosaics of deer, horses, kanthroses (drinking cups), flowers, trees and geometric ornamentation on the baptistery. The narthex should show a mosaic of a building with four pillars with a scene of a kantharos, flanked by two birds drinking water. Between the pillars hangs an icon lamp, and in front of the facade, there is a kantharos from which two lambs drink.
However, according to the woman living in the house opposite to the church, the mosaics have been removed for protection and possible future display in a museum.
UPDATE 2012: We unexpectedly found the mosaics that we did not see in 2009 when we visited Oktisi, on display at the Memorial House of the Miladinov Brothers in Struga.
This is the mosque in the center of Oktisi.
Turn right in front of the mosque to go to the Church of St Nikola and the ruins of the Early Christian Basilica.
When we tried to do the hike from Oktisi to Vevcani, described in the Bradt Travel Guide Macedonia by Thammy Evans (second edition), we lost the right trail and ended up at Jankov Kamen (Janko's Stone), a picnic place located between the two villages.
The picnic place is abundant in water and located on the slopes of the Jablanica Mountain, at an altitude of 1250 m asl. Besides picnic tables, there is a mountain house and fireplaces for the preparation of food.
Jankov Kamen is also part of the Via Egnatia Trail.