Struga Restaurants

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Restaurant V-Plazza: A drink by the beach at Lake Ohrid

by SWFC_Fan Updated May 13, 2012

Restaurant V-Plazza, Struga, Macedonia

My girlfriend and I stopped for a drink at Restaurant V-Plazza during a day trip to Struga in March 2012.

This beachside restaurant, with outdoor tables on the edge of Lake Ohrid, is located a few minutes walk east of River Drim at the end of the town centre beach.

It was a sunny day, so we sat at one of the outdoor tables while we studied the menu. We only ever intended to stop for drinks, but we noted that the menu included a good selection of salads, fish dishes and grilled meat dishes.

I ordered a bottle of Skopsko beer (70 MKD / £0.95 for a 330ml bottle) and Emma ordered a cup of green tea with honey and lemon (40 MKD / £0.55).

Despite its impressive beachside/lakeside location, the prices at V-Plazza were very reasonable and no more expensive than the prices in the centre of Struga.

A nice setting for a drink on the banks of Lake Ohrid!

• Pijlmans's Profile Photo

Restaurant Geneva: Just have a beer here

by Pijlmans Written Mar 21, 2008

Restaurant Geneva

We had lunch in restaurant Geneva, located on the west shore of the Crni Drim river.

This is a great place to sit alongside the river with a beer, watch the fish, the view, and the kids playing in the water in the summer.

The meat dish I had there was terrible. The fish even refused it!

The toilet door could not be locked, which was not appreciated by my female company!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Restoran T'ga Za Jug: Good value meat dishes in the centre of Struga

by SWFC_Fan Updated May 13, 2012

Restoran T'ga Za Jug, Struga

We ate lunch at Restoran T'ga Za Jug during a day trip to Struga in March 2012.

Our Bradt guidebook described the restaurant as a place for "traditional food and setting in the centre of town" and that sounded good to me! I was also attracted to this place by its name; T'ga Za Jug being the name of the red wine that I'd been enjoying during my stay in Macedonia.

We found T'ga Za Jug located on the corner of Dzum Karoski and 15th Corpus, just a few metres from the pedestrianised Marshal Tito in the heart of the town centre.

The restaurant's signage and its pavement menu board were written exclusively in Cyrillic script – this attracted me even more to T'ga Za Jug.

We sat at a table next to a window through which the sun was streaming in. The decor was basic to non-existent; we were sitting in a room with wooden beams and a bare floor. At least the tables had tablecloths on them. None of this really mattered to me; I'm only interested in the quality of the food and I've never found there to be any correlation between the standard of decor and my enjoyment of a meal.

While all the external signs were in Cyrillic, the menu had been translated into English. The "House Specialities" section contained 30 dishes, each of which was heavily meat-based. There were beefsteaks, pork ribs, chicken wings, beef medallions, meatloaf, sausages, mixed grill, kebabs, meat balls and veal.

We decided to share a starter and a couple of mains:

Grilled Cheese - Price: 70 MKD / £0.95

A large piece of salty white cheese that had been grilled enough to give it a crispy exterior. It was similar to Saganaki that I've enjoyed on previous visits to Greece and it was very tasty. It was served with tomatoes, cucumber and a lone black olive.

Macedonian Meatloaf - Price: 120 MKD / £1.60

A grilled mincemeat burger filled in one half with ham and in the other half with melted white cheese. It was a lot nicer than it sounded and was served with rice, potatoes, diced onions and mixed vegetables (tinned peas, carrots and sweetcorn).

5 x Kebabs - Price: 12 MKD / £0.16 per piece

The kebabs could be ordered in a minimum quantity of 5 pieces. We ordered 5 of the small, sausage shaped kebabs (similar to Cevapcici that I'd enjoyed on a previous visit to Bosnia) and they were served with the same accompaniments (potatoes, rice, onions and mixed veg) as the meatloaf. The kebabs were particularly enjoyable when wrapped in the accompanying bread.

There was a little confusion when we came to order the drinks. I had wanted to order the red T'ga Za Jug wine, but then the waiter asked if we wanted red or white. I thought there must be a white version of T'ga Za Jug, so I decided to try it. I was mistaken; the white wine that arrived was a Tikves Traminec dry white wine (120 MKD / £1.60 per 187ml bottle). We each had a bottle of the wine and a bottle of Sprite (50 MKD / £0.65 for a 250ml bottle).

We enjoyed our meal and found it to be very good value for money.

A great selection of Macedonian meat dishes in the centre of Struga. Recommended for a good value lunch!

• Pijlmans's Profile Photo

Angela: Next to the river

by Pijlmans Updated Sep 29, 2012

Angela

In 2012 we had a lunch is this pizza restaurant next to the river Crni Drim (Black Drim).

I ordered a pastrmajlija with egg and bacon. Pastrmajlija is a Macedonian style pizza, normally oval shaped and with a slightly different and thicker bottom than a pizza.

The egg/bacon pastrmajlija of restaurant Angela came with an ordinary round pizza bottom, so I don't think it was an official pastrmajlija, but it was tasty nevertheless.

My girlfriend had a vegetarian pizza that was not bad either.

Especially the riverside location makes this restaurant an interesting location for a break.

Instant Answers: Struga

Comments

Struga Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Struga restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Struga sightseeing.