Places to eat in Skopje

• Restaurants
    Kaj Zlashe

Most Viewed Restaurants in Skopje

• jonathanbarker's Profile Photo

Pelister: A hotel, restuarant and coffee bar in the centre

by jonathanbarker Written Sep 29, 2014

In May 2014 I had arranged to meet Marija and Irena in central Skopje, and we met for a coffee in a small restaurant in the central square. However as I wanted something to eat, which was more than a snack I went to the Pelister hotel. The restaurant was recommended to me by Irena, who helped me to order an interesting meal of cold meats, cheese and salad. The serving was very large and I found it hard to eat everything. The ambience of the restaurant was sumptuous and the waiting staff were smartly dressed and attentative to their customers.

Favorite Dish: I had a cold meat, cheese and salad platter. The serving was very generous. I think it should have served several people as a side dish.

Having dinner in Pelister

Gostilnica Turist: Good value Macedonian and Turkish cuisine

by SWFC_Fan Updated May 19, 2012

We ate at Gostilnica Turist on our final evening in Skopje in March 2012.

This atmospheric restaurant, serving Macedonian and Turkish cuisine, is located on a bustling courtyard outside the historic Kapan An travellers' inn in the city's Carsija region. The courtyard is shared by several restaurants, each with their own section of tables set up, and is surrounded by shops in the busy centre of Skopje's bazaar.

It was late in the evening and we were looking for somewhere to eat. A few places had already turned off the lights for the night, but as we walked past Gostilnica Turist a waiter informed us that they were still open and serving food. We sat at an outdoor table as it was a mild evening.

We decided to share a couple of appetizers:

Ajvar - Price: 100 MKD / £1.40

A portion of the popular Macedonian red pepper paste served with a basket of crusty bread.

Feta Cheese - Price: 120 MKD / £1.60

A large piece of salty white cheese simply served in a piece of tinfoil.

We both ordered the same main meal:

Tavche Gravche with 5 kebabs - Price: 150 MKD / £2.00

I had come to enjoy the Macedonian national dish of Tavche Gravche (baked beans in a ceramic skillet) during our stay in the country. I'd often eaten it on its own, or with bread to dip into it, but on this occasion I went for the meaty version: the version that is topped with 5 small sausage shaped pieces of grilled meat (similar to cevapcici that I'd enjoyed during a trip to Bosnia a few years earlier). The juices of the kebabs added to what was already a very enjoyable dish.

During the course of the meal, I had a 500ml glass of Skopsko beer (100 MKD / £1.40)...or maybe 2...and finished with a nightcap of the potent local Rakija grape brandy (70 MKD / £0.95 a shot).

Tasty Macedonian and Turkish cuisine on a busy courtyard in the heart of Carsija.

Gostilnica Turist, Skopje Feta Cheese at Gostilnica Turist, Skopje Ajvar at Gostilnica Turist, Skopje A Skopsko beer at Gostilnica Turist, Skopje Tavche Gravche and Kebapi at Gostilnica Turist

Stara Gradska Kuka: Traditional food in Macedonia's oldest house

by SWFC_Fan Written May 13, 2012

We ate at Stara Gradska Kuka (Old City House) one evening during our visit to Skopje in March 2012.

We were looking for local food in a traditional setting, and this place ticked both of those boxes; it is located in a traditional Macedonian house dating back to 1836 and it offers a wide choice of Macedonian cuisine.

It was also conveniently located just a short walk from our hotel; just north of the river, close to Stiv Naumov after crossing the first bridge to the east of Old Stone Bridge.

We passed through an atmospheric courtyard beside the traditional wood and stone house, complete with a number of wooden tables. It was too cold for al fresco dining on this March evening, but would be a great setting in the warmer summer months. Instead, we sat at a table in the upstairs dining room, overlooking the empty courtyard. While the house dates back nearly 180 years, it has been significantly renovated, so the dining room retained elements of its past while also displaying modern touches (such as new window frames and double glazed windows).

As we studied the menu, we could see that a four piece band with instruments was serenading diners on other tables. I secretly hoped that they wouldn't make their way over to our table; I just wanted to enjoy a quiet meal. Thankfully, they put their instruments away and sat themselves down at a nearby table shortly afterwards.

I recognised a number of dishes on the menu from my pre-trip research. For example, the salad section included Ajvar and Pindjur pepper sauces and the "House Specialities" section included Tavche Gravche (bean stew) and Pastrmajlija (Macedonian pizza). Other main courses included roast lamb, pork knuckle, pork ribs, veal and a vegetarian casserole.

We'd eaten throughout the day, so neither of us were particularly hungry. We decided to share a selection of dishes:

Old House Salad - Price: 200 MKD / £2.70

A large plate with diced tomato and cucumber, white cheese (similar to feta), hard yellow cheese, a handful of juicy black olives, two sliced boiled eggs and hot green and yellow peppers.

Stuffed Champignons - Price: 250 MKD / £3.40

A plateful of giant mushrooms, filled with melted cheese, diced peppers and veal prosciutto.

Tavche Gravche - Price: 150 MKD / £2.00

The national dish of Macedonia – baked beans in a ceramic skillet.

2 x Garlic Bread Ciabattas - Price: 80 MKD / £1.10 each

Warm ciabattas with plenty of garlic butter.

The food portions were generous in size and our selection of dishes satisfied our appetites without overwhelming us.

I had a Skopsko beer (90 MKD / £1.20 for a 330ml bottle) and Emma had a Sprite (70 MKD / £0.95 for a 250ml glass). I ended my meal with a shot of the local Mastika spirit (similar to Greek Ouzo and served in a glass with ice cubes) - 60 MKD / £0.80 – and Emma ended her meal with a cup of green tea with honey and lemon (80 MKD / £1.10).

A good selection of local cuisine served in the oldest traditional house in Macedonia. Large portions and tasty food. Recommended!

Stara Gradska Kuka restaurant, Skopje Stara Gradska Kuka (Old City House), Skopje Food at Stara Gradska Kuka, Skopje Stuffed Champignons at Stara Gradska Kuka, Skopje Tavche Gravche at Stara Gradska Kuka, Skopje

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Tea Room Laci: Turkish tea in Carsija!

by SWFC_Fan Written Apr 25, 2012

Whilst exploring the Turkish-influenced Carsija district of Skopje in March 2012, my girlfriend and I decided to stop off for refreshments on our way from the Bit Pazar market to the Kale Fortress.

Given our surroundings, a glass of Turkish tea and some sticky baklava seemed to be the appropriate choice.

We stumbled across "Mado Prom" cafe on the corner of Podragje and Jorgandziska, as we began our ascent to the fortress.

We sat at an outdoor table in the afternoon sunshine and ordered glasses of Turkish tea (10 MKD (£0.15)) and pieces of baklava (20 MKD (£0.30)).

It seems that Mado Prom doesn't serve Turkish tea, since the server crossed the street to Tea Room Laci (a basic tea room with two elderly gentlemen sitting outside playing dominoes and card games) and returned with our glasses of tea. It was piping hot and served with sugar and a slice of lemon.

The baklava was as sweet and sticky as we hoped it would be, drenched in syrup and topped with ground pistachios.

Sweet baklava and Turkish tea in the heart of Carsija!

Tea Room Laci, Carsija, Skopje Turkish tea at Tea Room Laci, Carsija, Skopje

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Mado Prom cafe: Sticky baklava in Carsija!

by SWFC_Fan Written Apr 25, 2012

We stumbled across Mado Prom cafe on the corner of Podragje and Jorgandziska, as we began our ascent to the fortress.

It seems that Mado Prom doesn't serve Turkish tea, since the server crossed the street to "Tea Room Laci" (a basic tea room with two elderly gentlemen sitting outside playing dominoes and card games) and returned with our glasses of tea. It was piping hot and served with sugar and a slice of lemon.

Sweet baklava and Turkish tea in the heart of Carsija!

Mado Prom cafe, Carsija, Skopje Sticky baklava at Mado Prom cafe, Skopje

Sendvicara Carsija: Kebapi and tavche gravche in Carsija

by SWFC_Fan Written Apr 25, 2012

We ate lunch at Sendvicara Carsija on our first full day in Skopje during our visit to the city in March 2012.

This simple little restaurant is located just outside the entrance to the Bit Pazar market when entering from Bit Pazarska. We had just finished exploring the bustling market when we decided to stop off here for a quick lunch.

It offered exactly what we were looking for; warm bread, grilled meat and the national dish of tavche gravche (beans in a skillet) in simple surroundings. The grill was in view in the front window so we could see the meat and beans being cooked.

We sat at one of the outdoor tables (ideal for watching the hive of activity around the entrance to the market) and went inside to place our order. The menu was limited to a handful of items, and was entirely in Cyrillic script, but even my fairly basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet was enough for me to be able to translate most of the items on there. The menu was dominated by grilled meats; kebapi (kebabs), pljeskavica (similar to burgers), sharska (similar to pljeskavica as far as I can tell) and steak, as well as salad and tavche gravche.

We ordered:

Tavche gravche - Cost: 50 MKD (£0.65)

A delicious bowl of beans in a tomato, onion and meat sauce. This was my first taste of tavche gravche and I ate it a few more times during my stay in Macedonia. With the benefit of hindsight, I would say that this was the best tavche gravche that I had; the sauce was thicker and meatier than any of the others I tried (in fact, some didn't have meat in at all). It was ideal for dipping the fresh warm bread into.

Kebapi x 5 pieces - Cost: 50 MKD (£0.65)

Each piece of grilled meat cost just 10 MKD, so we ordered 5 pieces. It was well cooked and served on a plate with salt, ground dried chilli and a couple of hot green chilli peppers. It was reminiscent of the cevapcici that I ate so much of during a trip to Bosnia & Herzegovina in 2007.

We shared a basket of warm Turkish flat bread and each had a Fanta orange to drink. Our total bill was 250 MKD (£3.30).

Excellent value grilled meats and tasty bowls of tavche gravche near the Bit Pazar market in Carsija. Recommended!

Sendvicara Carsija, Skopje Kebapi at Sendvicara Carsija, Skopje Tavche gravche at Sendvicara Carsija, Skopje Warm Turkish bread at Sendvicara Carsija, Skopje Menu board at Sendvicara Carsija, Skopje

Spinoff Restaurant: Good value Macedonian cuisine

by SWFC_Fan Written Apr 25, 2012

My girlfriend and I ate at Spinoff Restaurant on our first evening in Skopje during a visit to the city in March 2012.

We had arrived late in the evening and, despite reading many restaurant reviews prior to our trip, hadn't decided where to eat on that first evening. I was keen to try some local Macedonian cuisine (I was looking for a bowl of tavche gravche and a few glasses of T'ga za Jug wine!) and we decided that the Carsija district was probably the best place to find this. We crossed the Old Stone Bridge, walked into Carsija and found Spinoff Restaurant located on Stiv Naumov, just a few minutes walk from the busy Boulevard Goce Delcev.

We sat at a table in a small annexe room with tableside heaters and a small stage where a male/female duo were performing live music. The restaurant wasn't very busy, but a couple of small children kept running past the table, causing the loose floorboards (and our table) to shake. I realise that complaining about other people's children would make me sound like a grumpy old man, so I won't mention that it spoiled the atmosphere a little!

We studied the menu and, whilst it featured lots of local dishes, I was disappointed that tavche gravche (the national dish of beans in an earthenware pot) was a notable omission.

I was also a little saddened that the T'ga za Jug was 650 MKD (almost £9) for a 750ml bottle, since I had seen it on the menu at our hotel for just 500 MKD a bottle. Still, it was the first night of our holiday and I was keen to sample this much heralded semi-dry red wine, so we ordered a bottle between us.

We shared a couple of starters:

Spinoff Antipasta - Cost: 250 MKD (£3.30)

A large plate with a variety of local treats; goat's cheese, mushrooms, breaded zucchini, a dip of creme fraiche with green peppers, ajvar (a Macedonian relish made from red peppers, eggplant, garlic and chilli peppers) and cheese and spinach pie (similar to Greek tiropita). I was particularly pleased to sample the ajvar, which I had read was a staple part of the Macedonian diet, and it didn't disappoint. The ajvar at Spinoff was cool with only a hint of chilli.

Breaded eggplant / aubergine - Cost: 180 MKD (£2.40)

Despite the menu stating that the dish was 6 pieces, we actually received a plate with 10 slices of fried aubergine in breadcrumbs. It was nice and tasty.

We were really impressed with the portion sizes of the starters...and also a little worried that we wouldn't have room left for our mains!

We both ordered from the "Pizza / Pastrmajlia" section of the menu. I opted for:

"Spinoff" pastrmajlia - Cost: 280 MKD (£3.75)

It looked like a pizza to me, albeit one without a crust. It was topped with cheese, tomato sauce, smoked ham, salami and a fried egg. It should also have been topped with rocket according to the menu description, but wasn't. I enjoyed it, and managed to finish it all despite our filling starters.

Emma opted for:

Capriciosa pastrmajlia - Cost: 180 MKD (£2.40)

Similar to mine, but topped with cheese, tomato sauce, ham and mushrooms.

The food and the wine were both very good. We enjoyed our meals, were impressed with the portion sizes and felt that we had received good value for money. We'd be happy to eat at Spinoff again.

Nice food, big portions, good value for money!

Spinoff Restaurant, Carsija, Skopje Breaded eggplant/aubergine at Spinoff, Skopje T'ga za Jug red wine at Spinoff Restaurant, Skopje

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Babilon: A Taste Of The Bazaar

by johngayton Updated Jun 20, 2011

When I first encountered this busy little restaurant, situated in the heart of the old Bazaar, I thought its name was "Gostilnitsa Tourist". The "Tourist" bit had me temporarily flummoxed as it seemed to be very much a local's restaurant and it was only once I'd sat down and gotten the menu that I realized that it was actually called Babilon and the "Gostilnitsa Tourist" bit was simply the signage showing it was a member of the city's tourist association.

This turned out to be an excellent choice for my only proper meal here in Skopje - friendly proprietor, laid back atmosphere and extremely good value. Situated in the old bazaar the menu is appropriately predominantly Turkish, with a few Macedonian specialities featured.

Favorite Dish: The charcoal grill out at the front of the restaurant, with its sizzles and aromas permeating the terrace, decided my main course option before I'd even glanced at the menu. A slow glance as I transliterated letter by the letter the Macedonian cyrillic invited me to accompany my chosen main course with the "Ajvar Salata" and the "Salty Bread".

Perfect combination. My mixed grill lived up to expectations - a succculent skewer of perfectly tender marinated lamb, flavoursome kababche and a sort of pork burger type thing (no idea what that was called but tasty nevertheless). The "Ajvar Salata" (a roasted pepper and aubergine puree) was piquant and moist whilst the "Salty Bread" was crusty and chewey. Skopsko being the pivo accompaniement made for a hugely enjoyable repast and the 590 denar bill made it churlish not to top it up to 700.

Nice place, atmospheric and not touristy at all.

Confusing Signage Mehana Skara, Ajdvar, Salty Bread and PIVO! Location In Daylight
    • Beer Tasting

• Manara's Profile Photo

Complex Pantelejmon: Food with a view

by Manara Updated Apr 4, 2011

The walls of this restaurant, at least on one side, are all glass, in order to offer the customer a magnificent view of the valley and of the city. The main picture I have posted in my Skopje Overview page was taken from there.
    In fact this restaurant is not exactly in town, but on the slopes of the Mount Vodno. However, it is just 8 km from the city. A taxi drive require about 20 minutes, because the road is rather steep.
    The restaurant belongs to a complex that includes also a small hotel, close to the famous old church of St Panteleimon.

Favorite Dish: I remember having very good meat, but I am afraid my attention was too focused on the view to remember many details ofthe meal.

The view from the restaurant The restaurant

• SOFRA: SOFRA Restaurant in Old Bazaar, Skopje

by mlliu2006 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I am in Skopje for 5 months and after one month here I have finally found a restaurant that I truly enjoyed. It is the SOFRA Restaurant in the court yard that houses the T'ga za jug Restaurant, in the Old Bazaar. The restaurant is on the 2nd floor and apparently is not very well known. But as you can see from my photos, this is a fine restaurant with top-notch service. On this early spring day it was especially pleasant to sit outside, away from the usual assault of cigarette smoke and throbbing techno music. For 220 MKD (less than $5 U.S.), I got this fine meal served in style: vegetable soup, hamburger patty with potato, tasty crisp bread, mineral water, hot tea with lemon. For once, here is a chef (a Macedonia who honed his cooking in Germany) has a good sense of presentation and freshness of food. Thumbs way, way up!

Favorite Dish: Hamburger with potato, vegetable soup.

The food is served in style The entrance to the SOFRA Restaurant A closer look at the presentation
    • Women's Travel

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

KTK **NOW CLOSED**: Game, set, match ... pivo:)

by shrimp56 Updated Apr 4, 2011

KTK is both a cafe and a tennis facility. You can either rent a court by the hour or order a cool drink and watch from the sidelines. Guess which we did????
    There is a small indoor cafe and they cover some of the courts in the winter.
    *CLOSED* -- and the site of some new condo construction!

Favorite Dish: They had my favorite Serbian mineral water, Knas Milosh.

Big Fish: BEST FISH in Skopje

by Malecka Updated Feb 21, 2011

After spending several years in Catalunya, I must say I never eat seafood in Skopje ... because it doesn't feel natural. We do, however, have some sweet-water fish that is really good. The Ohrid trout is the most famous one, but there's more.

The best fish I've ever eaten in Skopje is prepared by mr. Keno at his place called Big Fish. The place (simple but ok) is located on Jane Sandanski Blvd, or the boulevard that takes you to the area called Aerodrom, in the location we all refer to as Tri Biseri. Tri Biseri (or Three Pearls) is actually the name of a famous restaurant (I've never been there) but since there are some other shops in the area, it has become known as Tri Biseri. Big Fish is located there and... if you want to eat fish in Skopje, this is the place.
    I've added a few photos which, I hope, capture the appraisal. :-)

Favorite Dish: Tsipura fish.
    Unbelievable fried potatoes. I never eat fries, but the man simply does magic with the potatoes.
    Peppers on grill.

fish at Keno's place

• Malecka's Profile Photo

Well, gonna list more so...: If you simply DON'T like the local food

by Malecka Updated Feb 21, 2011

Italian restaurants, most famous is "Da Gino"... what can I say, maybe it is not like in Italy, but in case you prefer pasta, there are nice places. Although a better one is "Little Toscany", located on Ivo Lola Ribar St., on the way to the largest VERO Supermarket. The food is absolutely amazing, Vlatko is the name of the chef and he prepares incredible dishes. But, it's expensive.

There is also a Mexican restaurant, AMIGOS, on Macedonia St., and I have to say the food is quite good. I mean, it is adjusted to the local taste-buds, but still, it is good.
    There is now a SUSHI BAR, called NOBU, in Debar Maalo, just opposite the bar "Bastion". Haven't tried the food.
    There are a few chinese restaurants... again, I haven't tried the food so cannot say whether it is good or not.
    A very good restaurant for vegetarians (and people who eat macrobiotic food) is: HARMONY (Or Harmonija, in Macedonian).

Mexican restaurant Amigos at Amigos, the mexican rest.

• Malecka's Profile Photo

Other places you can go to...

by Malecka Updated Feb 21, 2011

BRAVO'S. Location: near the Universal Hall (ask for more details). Reservations are needed Wednesdays through Saturdays cause quite a lot of people go to Bravos in the evenings. GREAT FOOD! Any macie meal you can think of, LOOOAAADS of combinations with veggies, great chicken fingers... About average.

And... also in the center:
    Then you have more than 5 local food places (BBQ, salads, meze) in the area called "Debar Maalo" - it is a nice area, very close to the center of Skopje, one of the oldest neighbourhoods here. Good choice! Besides DM and BIOS, which would be my number one choice, other good place are "IDADIJA", "NADzAK", "Gourmet" (it is a mediterranean restaurant, a bit more fancy, but in any case, very nice), etc.
    "Uranija" - close to the city park. Good but expensive
    "Ljuc" (everybody knows this place - nothing stylish, typical kafana, but the food is very good. It is located on the Zheleznichka street, behind the shopping mall Ramstore)
    "Chelik" - this is a place for "meze". Meze is something like the spanish "tapas" - no, not the same, but to have an idea it is an OK-comparison. Something that is not the main dish, but a salad or something else you take with a drink or two. Chelik is one of the best places for that, together with another one called "Krigla"...
    .... and lots more really... The list is very long. I always say if I have a guest here for more than one month, I can take him/her every day to a different restaurant and we still wouldn't be able to try everything.

Mom, Dad & Vesna at BRAVO'S

• Malecka's Profile Photo

KIBO, DM, Bios and Kaj Marshalot: Some of my favs...

by Malecka Updated Feb 21, 2011

After many years, KIBO remains to be one of the best places I've eaten at in Skopje. It doesn't have only local food, though you can find incredible local dishes (like "Selsko meso" for example), lots of salads (The Salad bar in the mornings is wonderful), BBQ for those who like meat... or falafel and mushrooms for the veggies-fans.
    It is located in the very center of Skopje (inside the so called Business Center Paloma Bianca)... clean, nice, ALWAYS tasty food and decent prices... what can I say: number 1 choice!

DM, one of the well-known kafanas in Debar Maalo (or the Debar neighbourhood). Easily within the top three places to eat when in Skopje. Local food, lots of meze (eggplant on the grill with cheese, zucchini, peppers stuffed with urda, there are many), great salads, barbecue... I love the relaxed atmosphere.

Bios is also located in Debar maalo. Typical kafana, nothing fancy, but the food is great.

Kaj Marshalot, restaurant located on St. Kliment Ohridski Boulevard. It's ... reminiscing the old Yugoslavia times, and I actually like that. The food is great. Famous for its "mixed barbecue".

Favorite Dish: THE MUSHROOMS in Kibo and DM. Amazing!!! "Bukovka" (prepared with garlic, but don't say no to it)
    White cheese (goat or sheep), on the grill, in Kibo and in DM.
    The falafel in Kibo
    The "nafora" in DM
    The mixed meze plate (daska) "Kaj Marshalot" at Kaj Marshalot.
    The spinach-burgers at Kaj Marshalot.

... and many more

at Kaj Marshalot at Kibo at Kibo eating at Kibo

Skopje Hotels

• Hotel Super 8

My girlfriend and I stayed at Hotel Super 8 in Skopje for 1 night at the end of our visit to...

• Tim's Apartments

We stayed at Tim's for 5 weeks while house-hunting. The staff is english-speaking, very friendly and...

• Hotel Duvet

Great service and location. I was very surprised to find out that they also offer short term...

Latest Skopje Hotel Reviews

Pleasant (2.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Aleksandar Palace
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews

Instant Answers: Skopje

Comments

Skopje Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Skopje locals.
Map of Skopje