Places to eat in Skopje

Kaj Zlashe
    Old Town

Most Viewed Restaurants in Skopje

• Jetgirly's Profile Photo

Gezme Restaurant: Do You Want a Plate of Mushrooms?

by Jetgirly Written Sep 15, 2012

If I can have a delicious vegetarian meal at a kebab joint deep in the old bazaar district of Skopje, surely I can find something to eat at an upscale restaurant located in a posh residential district, right?

Wrong.

My dinner at Gezme restaurant was a mess from start to finish. I met some other travelers who had eaten there the previous night and loved it so much they wanted to go back. They invited me, and a few other people from our hostel, to join them. Sounds like a plan! They even phoned the restaurant to make a reservation, and we arrived right on time. I loved the look of the little garden terrace where we sat, and while it wasn't very busy there was a large group celebrating a special event at a nearby table.

Unfortunately the large group took priority over our little table of five, and we spent the entire night sitting and waiting. Sitting and waiting for menus, sitting and waiting to order, sitting and waiting for our food, and sitting and waiting to pay. There were a number of interesting dishes on the menu that might have been vegetarian, and I was hoping that LIKE EVER OTHER RESTAURANT WHERE I'VE EVER ENQUIRED, the kitchen at Gozme could put together a little vegetarian plate for me. The server's response, "Do you want a plate of mushrooms?" I clarified that NO, I DID NOT WANT A PLATE OF MUSHROOMS. Could the kitchen do something with a few different ingredients? He promised me they'd make me something.

When the food finally arrived everyone was served, except for me. I didn't say anything at first, but after about ten minutes I asked the server if I was going to get food. He promised my food would come. At this time my dining companions also asked if they could have some bread. We asked for the bread they'd had yesterday, and the server said they were sold out. We asked for a different one that I recognized, and he said they also did not have that bread. He recommended garlic bread, and we agreed. About ten minutes later some pre-sliced, toasted "Wonderbread", with no discernible trace of garlic, came out. We're now twenty minutes into eating, and there is no sign of my food. I ask again, and he promises me it is coming. Finally, after more than thirty minutes, he brings out my dinner. Can you guess what it is? A PLATE OF MUSHROOMS.

So if you're looking for a restaurant where your table will be ignored, your food will come thirty minutes later than everyone else, and you'll get the exact dish you said you didn't want... dine at Gozme.

Trend Cafe: Cool Down On Trend

by Jetgirly Written Sep 15, 2012

Trend Cafe introduced me to something that in my travels I had never seen before- the wet fan. Walking past the restaurant in forty-degree heat, I couldn't resist stopping for a cocktail when I saw this trendy restaurant's biggest draw: huge fans that blew a fine mist of cool water over the guests. It was the perfect escape from the sweltering heat, and I was pleased to find that in addition to a huge cocktail list they also offered a number of internationally-inspired dishes, including a "health" salad that challenges popular conception of exactly what is healthy. ;) I don't think this restaurant gets too many single Canadian women downing cocktails at 4:00 pm, but the servers were friendly when I was able to track them down. I didn't mind if things took a while (and were a little pricier than average) because I was just enjoying the cool breeze!

Unknown - See Photo: Kebabs- and Salads- With a Smile

by Jetgirly Written Sep 15, 2012

In the heart of Macedonia's bazaar district I found myself eating lunch at a restaurant whose name I couldn't identify, although it did have a big sign reading, "гостилниЦа турист ви нуди" (which I think indicates they offer rooms too). Look for the sign below in the window of a large restaurant (including a huge terrace with communal wooden tables and benches for dining) to find this restaurant. I was initially hesitant about eating anywhere in the bazaar, because I'm a vegetarian and most places only seemed to serve cevapi (a kind of kebab). But with a rumbling stomach I sat down at this restaurant and shamefully asked for a salad with some bread. The waiter laughed- but with me, not at me, and a few minutes later I was served a huge bowl of fresh vegetables topped with tangy cheese, and bread drizzled with fresh olive oil and sprinkled with seasoning. The other guests even smiled and laughed at my crazy vegetarian meal... and took the opportunity to chat with me to find out what a female Canadian vegetarian was doing alone at a kebab shop in the Skopje bazaar. In the end it turned out to be a fun and friendly meal, and I'm really glad I stopped here!

Timeless Cafe: Stop for Coffee

by Jetgirly Written Sep 15, 2012

Along busy pedestrian Macedonia Street, in the heart of Skopje, are a number of "see and be seen" coffee shops, with patios that sprawl onto the sidewalk and tables designed for lounging more than eating and drinking. The cafe that first caught my eye, with a name I don't recall, was almost entirely empty but with "reserved" signs on every table. Okay, whatever. Across the street I found Timeless Cafe, with a typically Eastern European menu of all variety of Nescafe beverages and dressed-to-the-nines Macedonians texting one another and looking self-important. When it's too hot to walk any further, stop here for a chilly glare from another patron accompanied by your chilly iced coffee.

Mecho's Pizza: Trendy Pizzeria

by Jetgirly Written Sep 9, 2012

Clearly having renovated since most of its photos hit the internet, Mecho's Pizza is a trendy pizzeria located close to Macedonia Square. With a spacious, bright patio, comfortable seats, mood lighting and a great menu it was the perfect place for me to grab dinner on my first night in Macedonia. Like usual I had a vegetarian pizza, which you can see in the photo below. I found the staff especially helpful, going so far as to answer my questions about the music they were playing! Eastern Europe does pizzas almost as well as Italy, and Mecho's is a great pizzeria in Skopje.

Gostilnica Turist: Good value Macedonian and Turkish cuisine

by SWFC_Fan Updated May 19, 2012

We ate at Gostilnica Turist on our final evening in Skopje in March 2012.

This atmospheric restaurant, serving Macedonian and Turkish cuisine, is located on a bustling courtyard outside the historic Kapan An travellers' inn in the city's Carsija region. The courtyard is shared by several restaurants, each with their own section of tables set up, and is surrounded by shops in the busy centre of Skopje's bazaar.

It was late in the evening and we were looking for somewhere to eat. A few places had already turned off the lights for the night, but as we walked past Gostilnica Turist a waiter informed us that they were still open and serving food. We sat at an outdoor table as it was a mild evening.

We decided to share a couple of appetizers:

Ajvar - Price: 100 MKD / £1.40

A portion of the popular Macedonian red pepper paste served with a basket of crusty bread.

Feta Cheese - Price: 120 MKD / £1.60

A large piece of salty white cheese simply served in a piece of tinfoil.

We both ordered the same main meal:

Tavche Gravche with 5 kebabs - Price: 150 MKD / £2.00

I had come to enjoy the Macedonian national dish of Tavche Gravche (baked beans in a ceramic skillet) during our stay in the country. I'd often eaten it on its own, or with bread to dip into it, but on this occasion I went for the meaty version: the version that is topped with 5 small sausage shaped pieces of grilled meat (similar to cevapcici that I'd enjoyed during a trip to Bosnia a few years earlier). The juices of the kebabs added to what was already a very enjoyable dish.

During the course of the meal, I had a 500ml glass of Skopsko beer (100 MKD / £1.40)...or maybe 2...and finished with a nightcap of the potent local Rakija grape brandy (70 MKD / £0.95 a shot).

Tasty Macedonian and Turkish cuisine on a busy courtyard in the heart of Carsija.

Stara Gradska Kuka: Traditional food in Macedonia's oldest house

by SWFC_Fan Written May 13, 2012

We ate at Stara Gradska Kuka (Old City House) one evening during our visit to Skopje in March 2012.

We were looking for local food in a traditional setting, and this place ticked both of those boxes; it is located in a traditional Macedonian house dating back to 1836 and it offers a wide choice of Macedonian cuisine.

It was also conveniently located just a short walk from our hotel; just north of the river, close to Stiv Naumov after crossing the first bridge to the east of Old Stone Bridge.

We passed through an atmospheric courtyard beside the traditional wood and stone house, complete with a number of wooden tables. It was too cold for al fresco dining on this March evening, but would be a great setting in the warmer summer months. Instead, we sat at a table in the upstairs dining room, overlooking the empty courtyard. While the house dates back nearly 180 years, it has been significantly renovated, so the dining room retained elements of its past while also displaying modern touches (such as new window frames and double glazed windows).

As we studied the menu, we could see that a four piece band with instruments was serenading diners on other tables. I secretly hoped that they wouldn't make their way over to our table; I just wanted to enjoy a quiet meal. Thankfully, they put their instruments away and sat themselves down at a nearby table shortly afterwards.

I recognised a number of dishes on the menu from my pre-trip research. For example, the salad section included Ajvar and Pindjur pepper sauces and the "House Specialities" section included Tavche Gravche (bean stew) and Pastrmajlija (Macedonian pizza). Other main courses included roast lamb, pork knuckle, pork ribs, veal and a vegetarian casserole.

We'd eaten throughout the day, so neither of us were particularly hungry. We decided to share a selection of dishes:

Old House Salad - Price: 200 MKD / £2.70

A large plate with diced tomato and cucumber, white cheese (similar to feta), hard yellow cheese, a handful of juicy black olives, two sliced boiled eggs and hot green and yellow peppers.

Stuffed Champignons - Price: 250 MKD / £3.40

A plateful of giant mushrooms, filled with melted cheese, diced peppers and veal prosciutto.

Tavche Gravche - Price: 150 MKD / £2.00

The national dish of Macedonia – baked beans in a ceramic skillet.

2 x Garlic Bread Ciabattas - Price: 80 MKD / £1.10 each

Warm ciabattas with plenty of garlic butter.

The food portions were generous in size and our selection of dishes satisfied our appetites without overwhelming us.

I had a Skopsko beer (90 MKD / £1.20 for a 330ml bottle) and Emma had a Sprite (70 MKD / £0.95 for a 250ml glass). I ended my meal with a shot of the local Mastika spirit (similar to Greek Ouzo and served in a glass with ice cubes) - 60 MKD / £0.80 – and Emma ended her meal with a cup of green tea with honey and lemon (80 MKD / £1.10).

A good selection of local cuisine served in the oldest traditional house in Macedonia. Large portions and tasty food. Recommended!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Tea Room Laci: Turkish tea in Carsija!

by SWFC_Fan Written Apr 25, 2012

Whilst exploring the Turkish-influenced Carsija district of Skopje in March 2012, my girlfriend and I decided to stop off for refreshments on our way from the Bit Pazar market to the Kale Fortress.

Given our surroundings, a glass of Turkish tea and some sticky baklava seemed to be the appropriate choice.

We stumbled across "Mado Prom" cafe on the corner of Podragje and Jorgandziska, as we began our ascent to the fortress.

We sat at an outdoor table in the afternoon sunshine and ordered glasses of Turkish tea (10 MKD (£0.15)) and pieces of baklava (20 MKD (£0.30)).

It seems that Mado Prom doesn't serve Turkish tea, since the server crossed the street to Tea Room Laci (a basic tea room with two elderly gentlemen sitting outside playing dominoes and card games) and returned with our glasses of tea. It was piping hot and served with sugar and a slice of lemon.

The baklava was as sweet and sticky as we hoped it would be, drenched in syrup and topped with ground pistachios.

Sweet baklava and Turkish tea in the heart of Carsija!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Mado Prom cafe: Sticky baklava in Carsija!

by SWFC_Fan Written Apr 25, 2012

We stumbled across Mado Prom cafe on the corner of Podragje and Jorgandziska, as we began our ascent to the fortress.

It seems that Mado Prom doesn't serve Turkish tea, since the server crossed the street to "Tea Room Laci" (a basic tea room with two elderly gentlemen sitting outside playing dominoes and card games) and returned with our glasses of tea. It was piping hot and served with sugar and a slice of lemon.

Sweet baklava and Turkish tea in the heart of Carsija!

Sendvicara Carsija: Kebapi and tavche gravche in Carsija

by SWFC_Fan Written Apr 25, 2012

We ate lunch at Sendvicara Carsija on our first full day in Skopje during our visit to the city in March 2012.

This simple little restaurant is located just outside the entrance to the Bit Pazar market when entering from Bit Pazarska. We had just finished exploring the bustling market when we decided to stop off here for a quick lunch.

It offered exactly what we were looking for; warm bread, grilled meat and the national dish of tavche gravche (beans in a skillet) in simple surroundings. The grill was in view in the front window so we could see the meat and beans being cooked.

We sat at one of the outdoor tables (ideal for watching the hive of activity around the entrance to the market) and went inside to place our order. The menu was limited to a handful of items, and was entirely in Cyrillic script, but even my fairly basic grasp of the Cyrillic alphabet was enough for me to be able to translate most of the items on there. The menu was dominated by grilled meats; kebapi (kebabs), pljeskavica (similar to burgers), sharska (similar to pljeskavica as far as I can tell) and steak, as well as salad and tavche gravche.

We ordered:

Tavche gravche - Cost: 50 MKD (£0.65)

A delicious bowl of beans in a tomato, onion and meat sauce. This was my first taste of tavche gravche and I ate it a few more times during my stay in Macedonia. With the benefit of hindsight, I would say that this was the best tavche gravche that I had; the sauce was thicker and meatier than any of the others I tried (in fact, some didn't have meat in at all). It was ideal for dipping the fresh warm bread into.

Kebapi x 5 pieces - Cost: 50 MKD (£0.65)

Each piece of grilled meat cost just 10 MKD, so we ordered 5 pieces. It was well cooked and served on a plate with salt, ground dried chilli and a couple of hot green chilli peppers. It was reminiscent of the cevapcici that I ate so much of during a trip to Bosnia & Herzegovina in 2007.

We shared a basket of warm Turkish flat bread and each had a Fanta orange to drink. Our total bill was 250 MKD (£3.30).

Excellent value grilled meats and tasty bowls of tavche gravche near the Bit Pazar market in Carsija. Recommended!

Spinoff Restaurant: Good value Macedonian cuisine

by SWFC_Fan Written Apr 25, 2012

My girlfriend and I ate at Spinoff Restaurant on our first evening in Skopje during a visit to the city in March 2012.

We had arrived late in the evening and, despite reading many restaurant reviews prior to our trip, hadn't decided where to eat on that first evening. I was keen to try some local Macedonian cuisine (I was looking for a bowl of tavche gravche and a few glasses of T'ga za Jug wine!) and we decided that the Carsija district was probably the best place to find this. We crossed the Old Stone Bridge, walked into Carsija and found Spinoff Restaurant located on Stiv Naumov, just a few minutes walk from the busy Boulevard Goce Delcev.

We sat at a table in a small annexe room with tableside heaters and a small stage where a male/female duo were performing live music. The restaurant wasn't very busy, but a couple of small children kept running past the table, causing the loose floorboards (and our table) to shake. I realise that complaining about other people's children would make me sound like a grumpy old man, so I won't mention that it spoiled the atmosphere a little!

We studied the menu and, whilst it featured lots of local dishes, I was disappointed that tavche gravche (the national dish of beans in an earthenware pot) was a notable omission.

I was also a little saddened that the T'ga za Jug was 650 MKD (almost £9) for a 750ml bottle, since I had seen it on the menu at our hotel for just 500 MKD a bottle. Still, it was the first night of our holiday and I was keen to sample this much heralded semi-dry red wine, so we ordered a bottle between us.

We shared a couple of starters:

Spinoff Antipasta - Cost: 250 MKD (£3.30)

A large plate with a variety of local treats; goat's cheese, mushrooms, breaded zucchini, a dip of creme fraiche with green peppers, ajvar (a Macedonian relish made from red peppers, eggplant, garlic and chilli peppers) and cheese and spinach pie (similar to Greek tiropita). I was particularly pleased to sample the ajvar, which I had read was a staple part of the Macedonian diet, and it didn't disappoint. The ajvar at Spinoff was cool with only a hint of chilli.

Breaded eggplant / aubergine - Cost: 180 MKD (£2.40)

Despite the menu stating that the dish was 6 pieces, we actually received a plate with 10 slices of fried aubergine in breadcrumbs. It was nice and tasty.

We were really impressed with the portion sizes of the starters...and also a little worried that we wouldn't have room left for our mains!

We both ordered from the "Pizza / Pastrmajlia" section of the menu. I opted for:

"Spinoff" pastrmajlia - Cost: 280 MKD (£3.75)

It looked like a pizza to me, albeit one without a crust. It was topped with cheese, tomato sauce, smoked ham, salami and a fried egg. It should also have been topped with rocket according to the menu description, but wasn't. I enjoyed it, and managed to finish it all despite our filling starters.

Emma opted for:

Capriciosa pastrmajlia - Cost: 180 MKD (£2.40)

Similar to mine, but topped with cheese, tomato sauce, ham and mushrooms.

The food and the wine were both very good. We enjoyed our meals, were impressed with the portion sizes and felt that we had received good value for money. We'd be happy to eat at Spinoff again.

Nice food, big portions, good value for money!

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Babilon: A Taste Of The Bazaar

by johngayton Updated Jun 20, 2011

When I first encountered this busy little restaurant, situated in the heart of the old Bazaar, I thought its name was "Gostilnitsa Tourist". The "Tourist" bit had me temporarily flummoxed as it seemed to be very much a local's restaurant and it was only once I'd sat down and gotten the menu that I realized that it was actually called Babilon and the "Gostilnitsa Tourist" bit was simply the signage showing it was a member of the city's tourist association.

This turned out to be an excellent choice for my only proper meal here in Skopje - friendly proprietor, laid back atmosphere and extremely good value. Situated in the old bazaar the menu is appropriately predominantly Turkish, with a few Macedonian specialities featured.

Favorite Dish: The charcoal grill out at the front of the restaurant, with its sizzles and aromas permeating the terrace, decided my main course option before I'd even glanced at the menu. A slow glance as I transliterated letter by the letter the Macedonian cyrillic invited me to accompany my chosen main course with the "Ajvar Salata" and the "Salty Bread".

Perfect combination. My mixed grill lived up to expectations - a succculent skewer of perfectly tender marinated lamb, flavoursome kababche and a sort of pork burger type thing (no idea what that was called but tasty nevertheless). The "Ajvar Salata" (a roasted pepper and aubergine puree) was piquant and moist whilst the "Salty Bread" was crusty and chewey. Skopsko being the pivo accompaniement made for a hugely enjoyable repast and the 590 denar bill made it churlish not to top it up to 700.

Nice place, atmospheric and not touristy at all.

• Beer Tasting

• Manara's Profile Photo

Complex Pantelejmon: Food with a view

by Manara Updated Apr 4, 2011

The walls of this restaurant, at least on one side, are all glass, in order to offer the customer a magnificent view of the valley and of the city. The main picture I have posted in my Skopje Overview page was taken from there.
    In fact this restaurant is not exactly in town, but on the slopes of the Mount Vodno. However, it is just 8 km from the city. A taxi drive require about 20 minutes, because the road is rather steep.
    The restaurant belongs to a complex that includes also a small hotel, close to the famous old church of St Panteleimon.

Favorite Dish: I remember having very good meat, but I am afraid my attention was too focused on the view to remember many details ofthe meal.

• 2 more images

SOFRA: SOFRA Restaurant in Old Bazaar, Skopje

by mlliu2006 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I am in Skopje for 5 months and after one month here I have finally found a restaurant that I truly enjoyed. It is the SOFRA Restaurant in the court yard that houses the T'ga za jug Restaurant, in the Old Bazaar. The restaurant is on the 2nd floor and apparently is not very well known. But as you can see from my photos, this is a fine restaurant with top-notch service. On this early spring day it was especially pleasant to sit outside, away from the usual assault of cigarette smoke and throbbing techno music. For 220 MKD (less than $5 U.S.), I got this fine meal served in style: vegetable soup, hamburger patty with potato, tasty crisp bread, mineral water, hot tea with lemon. For once, here is a chef (a Macedonia who honed his cooking in Germany) has a good sense of presentation and freshness of food. Thumbs way, way up!

Favorite Dish: Hamburger with potato, vegetable soup.

• Women's Travel

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

KTK **NOW CLOSED**: Game, set, match ... pivo:)

by shrimp56 Updated Apr 4, 2011

KTK is both a cafe and a tennis facility. You can either rent a court by the hour or order a cool drink and watch from the sidelines. Guess which we did????
    There is a small indoor cafe and they cover some of the courts in the winter.
    *CLOSED* -- and the site of some new condo construction!

Favorite Dish: They had my favorite Serbian mineral water, Knas Milosh.

Skopje Hotels

Hotel Ani
Latest: Jan 16, 2014
Aleksandar Palace

Instant Answers: Skopje

Comments

Skopje Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Skopje locals.
Map of Skopje