Pivnica An, Skopje

1472 Kapan An

Beerhouse An
  • Pivnica An: Not the best in town

by samanthacggns Written Aug 24, 2011

Heavy, oily food served by disinterested staff. The location in an old Turkish inn is wonderful, but the restaurant does not match the local. The food does not seem fresh and takes forever to appear. A better option is one of the many open air grill restaurants in the area, and far less expensive too.

• Beer Tasting

• Pivnica An: Marginal

by fhtenetis Updated Aug 24, 2011

I gave this two tries, largely because of online reviews. I took visiting friends and was frankly disappointed. Service was slow as if the wait staff simply did not care. Many of the items on the menu were unavailable. What we did get seemed as though it had been cooking for a very long time, and was swimming in oil. When we asked for bread it came out toasted, and when we asked for fresh were told they did not have any. I suppose I should have seen that coming. There are numerous bakeries around the restaurant, I was tempted to go get my own bread. Unless you are a fan of heavy meat dishes, which are virtually interchangeable here, hit one of the many grill places in the old town and give An a miss.

• Pijlmans's Profile Photo

Pivnica An or Beerhouse An: Highly recommended

by Pijlmans Updated May 26, 2011

Pivnica An

The restaurant Pivnica An (or Beerhouse An) is located in the Kapan An, and old trading inn in Carsija, the old Turkish part of Skopje.

First of all, the location in this monumental building is excellent.

Second, so is the traditional Macedonian food that is served in Pivnica An! Up to now, it is the best restaurant I've been to in Macedonia.

Inside, it is quite small, and has a cozy and natural atmosphere. In fact, the restaurant is located in the old stables of the inn. You can also eat outside, in the yard of the Kapan An.

I celebrated my birthday here with a group of people, and the restaurant combined several dishes on large plates, so everybody could sample a bit of everything. The appetizers ("ordever" in Macedonian, as in hors d'oeuvre) also were delicious and almost a complete meal by themselves.

There is a price you have to pay for all this excellence, the restaurant is not cheap. But you have to have been here!

• Pivnica An: My Favorite Place for Macedonian Food

by kathy_and_ej Updated Feb 24, 2004

Pivnica An is in the old part of town, in a small courtyard (also known as Kapan An). I'm told that it used to be an Inn during the Ottoman Empire. I think the restaurant is located in what was the stables, but don't let that influence you !! The brick walls, low lighting and macedonian pottery on the walls give it a nice ambiance. In the summer you can sit in the courtyard terrace. You have to try it !!

Favorite Dish: I love the Ordever - which is meant to be a starter, but often I eat so much that I have no room for my main meal. It is a large plate with various salads, meats, cheeses, ajvar and stuffed peppers, accompanied by grilled bread. In my opinion, it is the best Ordever in town. I also like their Moussaka, Vegetarian Turly Tava and the Vegetarian Risotto ....and I am not a vegetarian !!

• Pivnica An: grape leaf rolls

by mbittner123 Updated Oct 24, 2010

grape leaf rolls

excellent food in the old part of Skopje. local dishes and wine.

Favorite Dish: grape leaf rolls with minced meat.
    served with pita bread (sprinkled and baked with garlic and pesto).

• Business Travel