Klaksvík Travel Guide

by TomFoolery

Klaksvík Things to Do

F��roya Bj��r Brewery

by TomFoolery Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Faroe Islands very own Brewery is situated in Klaksvík. It's exported all over the islands from here.

Faroese Beer is similar to most continental lagers, they have weak beer for sale in supermarkets (they're not allowed to sell anything strong - you have to visit State alcohol stores or pubs/clubs for the proper stuff), light beers and darker beers. It's pretty good stuff, the darker stuff was my favourite.

• Beer Tasting

• Lunaina's Profile Photo

by Lunaina Written Jul 26, 2007

Vist the church.... the main things to do option on the Faroe Islands. All churches are interesting, so is the Christiankirkjan in Klaksvik. This is a really big church, it is most of the times open, so you probably won't stand in front of a closed door.

• TomFoolery's Profile Photo
    Klaksv��k from half way up the road to the pass

by TomFoolery Written Aug 9, 2005

Perhaps the easiest hike from Klaksvík is the hike up to Hálsur, a mountain pass some 250m high on the Western side of the town.

Head for the heliport and turn right along an unmade road to the pass. From here you can climb the 2 surrounding peaks, though the day I was there was pretty cloudy so there didn't seem much point.

The views I got when the cloud occasionally broke where stunning, well worth the effort.

Klaksvík Nightlife

Roykstovan Pub

by TomFoolery Updated Aug 14, 2005

A smoky pub, as you'd expect busiest on Friday and Saturday nights.

If you want to meet locals you can do no better than spend an evening here, everyone is very friendly and after a few drinks eager to chat about what you think of Klaksvík and the Faores.

Dress Code: None.

The Barok dancefloor

by TomFoolery Written Aug 9, 2005

i was warned by my guidebook not to expect "big city sophistication". Now, I don't know where the author is from, but I'm from London - which I consider to be a fairly big city. I can safely say I've never been to a nightclub in London, or indeed Britain, that I would call "sophisticated", so I wasn't particularly daunted.

The club was as you'd expect for a small town nightclub really, dance floor surrounded by seats downstairs, "chill out" room upstairs. Music was quite varied, from Britpop to Faroese cheese. There was a worrying period where they played loads of R n' B, but it didn't spoil my night.

Dress Code: None, that I can remember. I was certainly dressed pretty casually.

• Music

• Klaksvík Hotels

0 Hotels in Klaksvík

Klaksvík Transportation

• TomFoolery's Profile Photo
    Kalsoy (left), Kunoy (centre), Bor��oy (Right)

by TomFoolery Written Aug 9, 2005

The short ferry journey from Leirvik to Klaksvík was nothing short of stunning. The cloud seemed like it was only about 10 metres above me, and gave the views of Kalsoy and Kunoy a really magical effect.

A tunnel is currently being built from Leirvik to Klaksvík which will sadly put a stop to this ferry journey, it's due to open mid 2006.

If you're here before then it's worth taking a trip to Klaksvík just for this journey.

Klaksvík Local Customs

Eating Spik in a Shed

by TomFoolery Written Aug 21, 2005

I was lucky enough to be invited to a Faroese house to partake in the ritual of eating dried fish and whale meat.

They asked me if I was "a greenpeace", to which I replied no - I figure I buy chicken and beef in the supermarket so I have no problem with eating whale meat. The whales they catch are pilot whales which are not an endangered species.

A lot of Faroese houses have sheds on the side where they hang up meat to dry out - and then just leave it here for several months until it's ready to eat. The climate is cool enough that it doesn't go off.

I ate "Speak" (which consulting my guidebook must have been Spik O Grind - Whale blubber) and something which they called "Coot", which was dried fish, tasted like mackerel.

Both were surprisingly very nice, the whale meat in particular had a very salty taste.

Instant Answers: Klaksvík

Comments

Klaksvík Travel Guide
Map of Klaksvík