Espoo Local Customs

Most Recent Local Customs in Espoo

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo

Please do not disturb!

by diocletianvs Written Nov 22, 2003

Not only the trees were preserved during the building of Tapiola, but also a lot of the animal world is still co-habiting in this man-created environment.
    Be careful while walking on Tapiola's walking paths and try not to disturb squirrels too much (like I did while trying to photograph this one, that was scared to death thinking my camera is some very harmful weapon).

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo

Halo ?

by diocletianvs Updated Sep 28, 2003

I haven't seen a lot of Finland, but from what I've seen this is not only a characteristic of Espoo.

With central Nokia headquarters being located in the town, the use of mobile phones is enormous. You'll have a feeling that noone talks to other person face-to-face any more. But everyone constantly speaks to one phone while sending text messages or organizing their calender on another they hold in hand. People start to address you in Finninsh, and then you realize that they are in fact talking to someone else using a handsfree set. And the constant ringing noise cannot be described.....

I had a problem with the roaming system on my mobile so I had to find the public phone somewhere. You should have seen the expression of the faces of the people that I asked for help - same as if I has asked where can I get a mail-delivery pigeon.
    (At the end I found one public phone in the Cultural centre. I think it was preserved on display as a part of cultural heritage. Luckily, it was still operating, although the numbers showed the amount in Finnish Marks three years after it was abandoned as a currency).

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Sand Scalpture

by Gili_S Written Oct 12, 2003

I am not sure if this is local custom, but in the summer we had a Sand Scalpture competition and this one was my favourite.

Instant Answers: Espoo

Comments

Espoo Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Espoo local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Espoo sightseeing.