Helsinki Favorites

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Internet Cafe Facilities

by gordonilla Updated Mar 15, 2014

M Bar

Favorite thing: There are many locations where the visitor can check his or her email. These range from clothes/fashion shops, book stores, museums and the main post office. Generally these are free of charge facilities, with a time limit of between 15-20 minutes.

However my preference is to pay for a computer at MBAR.

check out: http://mbar.fi/

(phone) +358 9 61245420

(email) info@mbar.fi

Fondest memory: The bar has good food and drink, DJs and live cabaret. IT also features regularly on MTV3, subTV and other Finnish television channels as a venue for live acts.

• annase's Profile Photo

Around the Market Square

by annase Updated May 28, 2013

Havis Amanda

Fondest memory: One of my fondest and earliest memories of the city is that I'm sat down on the steps next the Helsinki Cathedral on a beautiful summer day, snacking on sweet sugar snaps and strawberries that my parent had just bought at the outdoor market next to the sea. I must have been under 5. Every time I visit Helsinki in summer, I still go and buy these two things at the Market Square and sit down somewhere (usually the stairs at the Senate Square, Suomenlinna island, Katajanokka or Tahtitorninmaki hill) to eat them.

I also remember the distinctively green colour of the sea as well as the smell of it. It does not smell the same anymore though..

One of the landmarks in the vicinity of the market square is the naked 'Havis Amanda' statue. Every year on 1st May, she will be given a back and white hat to wear for a day by the students. It's a silly tradition really, but at the same time rather hilarious as well.

• Women's Travel

• DAO's Profile Photo

AN UP AND DOWN DAY - BUT AT LEAST I GOT A BEER!

by DAO Updated May 28, 2013

Favorite thing:

I knew I was going to end up here, I just didn’t realise the rest of the story!

I was looking for a flight from England to Tallinn, Estonia. I was new to the internet, but a ridiculously low price came up with a telephone number to ring of a travel agent. Not only was it really that price, but on Finnair as well! I could not believe my luck. I gave my credit card details and a paper ticket arrived a few days later. It did not show a change of plane in Helsinki or any arrival time. It was a very vague ticket.

On the appointed day I arrived at Manchester Airport handed over my ticket and passport and received a single boarding pass. There was some vague discussion of re-checking in at Helsinki. Fair enough.

So I went for a beer in the bar before boarding the plane. Then as soon as the small, narrow plane took off – I was offered another beer. In fact, at that time, Finnair’s policy was “ask and you shall receive another cold one”. No hesitation, even got smiles.

So I am happily on my second (or third) beer when I felt the plane starting to descend! I hadn’t had anything close enough to override the fear factor. We were not even half-way to Helsinki!

I called the attendant/bar tender over and she said “we are landing in Norway” in a very matter of fact tone. “Why?” I asked with a tinge of concern. “Oh, we always stop here”. OK. I did say the ticket was vague.

So we land and guess what? This was my introduction to the “Schengen Area”. OK, the
    ‘Non-EU’ area of the Schengen Area. Yes, we had to get off the plane, go inside and get in a long queue. The queue to get our passports checked so we could get in a queue to get back on our plane. OK.

Take-off. Beer please!

So I am just settling in to another beer and LOVING Finnair when we start DESCENDING AGAIN!

BY now the beers are talking to me and thinking ‘it may just be a mechanical problem lets get a beer before the staff sit down or we crash’.

Beer please! Thanks. Why are we descending? OK, you always land here too.

So we get off and have to now enter the EU side of the Schengen Area! Yes, big queue to go through passports and big queue to return to the plane. Obviously Mr. Schengen was not on the Environmental Committee of the EU,

Take-off. 2 Beers please! In case we start descending.

2 beers arrive and we begin to descend.

Helsinki? Yes.

So what to do in Helsinki? Check in, get boarding pass, go get a beer.

So on to a small propeller plane. Can I get a beer? Sure!

I love Finnair!!!

I vaguely remember getting to my hotel riding with the most perverted taxi driver in Tallinn – but that’s another story.

I LOVE YOU FINNAIR !!!

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Multilinguality and Multilingual Signs

by Airpunk Written Apr 30, 2013

Street sign in Helsinki

Favorite thing: Finland is a bilingual country with Swedish having a status as an official language as well. However, you will find Swedish only along the Southwestern coastline where most of the FennoSwede population lives. Helsinki as a decent Swedish-speaking population and therefore you will find mos things in both languages. So don't be confused if there are two different designations for the same thing or place - it's usually the Swedish (or Finnish) designation for something. Even street names are shown in Swedish and Finnish – and in some cases even in Russian!

• Luckell's Profile Photo

Architecture

by Luckell Updated Apr 14, 2013

Residential house, central Helsinki

Favorite thing: Most of us like to see beautiful buildings, some more, some less. The architecture in Helsinki is amazing. There is things to see for people who love old style with decorations and details as well as for those who like modern architecture with smooth and beautiful surfaces. The list of famous Finnish architects is long. A few examples could be Eliel Saarinen (architect for Helsinki Central Railwaystation among others), Eero Saarinen (architect e.g. for JFK International Airport in New York), Carl Ludvig Engel, who was half german (architect for the famous, white Lutheran Cathedral in Helsinki and the mainbuilding for the University of Helsinki) and the one who is a must when we are talking about Finnish architects, Alvar Aalto, architect and designer (examples on his work is the Finlandia Hall in Helsinki and Essen Opera House, in Essen, Germany.) These are a few examples, personally I love the architecture in Helsinki and if it was possible I would put a lot more pictures here for you. That is though a good reason for you to visit the city yourself, it's definitely worth it. But I have a few pictures over here, look at them, enjoy!

• Architecture
    • Photography

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

helsinki

by call_me_rhia Updated Aug 22, 2010

Favorite thing: The capital of Finland is a city with two names - Helsinki (in Finnish) and Helsingfors (in Swedish) – and roughly half a million inhabitants. It’s on the southern portion of country, right on the shores of the Gulf of Finland, opposite Tallinn in Estonia, to be precise.

Fondest memory: Despite having been founded in 1550, nothing remains of that period. I would say that Helsinki is a city of culture (there’s tons of museums), but not much of charm: glorious sights are really few… I did not like it entirely, but appreciated its nature: parks, bays, beaches and even a very friendly cemetery.

• ealgisi's Profile Photo

Useful phone numbers

by ealgisi Updated Jan 5, 2010

Favorite thing: The most common European emergency number 112 (following Directive 2002/22/EC: Universal Service Directive) and also standard on GSM mobile phones. 112 is used in Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Republic of Macedonia, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine and the United Kingdom in addition to their other emergency numbers.

Here are some useful phone numbers that you might need while in Finland:

Global number 112

• csordila's Profile Photo

Finland's national author

by csordila Written Jun 27, 2009

Aleksis Kivi (1834-72) by W��in�� Aaltonen

Favorite thing: The author of the first significant Finnish novel was Aleksis Kivi, originally Alexis Stenvall.
    He entered into the Finn literature, when there was an urgent need for the strengthening of the national self-awareness. He had even changed his Swedish surname Stenvall (stone bank) to the Finnish Kivi (stone).

Kalevala was written already, indeed it started being translated into foreign languages, but there was not a Finnish novel yet.
    There were not enough already, to write on the "peasant’s language", instead of the more "cultural" Swedish; it became increasingly more important the from what and the how.
    For most people of this era the Finnish folk lived almost unknown in its forests and Kivi took this folk, the Finnish peasant into the literature introducing them in his famous novel The Seven Brothers.

During his lifetime he was largely ignored, because his image of the not-so-virtuous rural life was too "raw" and realistic for the "educated audience" and he died in extreme poverty.

Fondest memory: His 1939 statue sits next to the Railway station in front of the Art Nouveau building of the National Theatre and that his plays are still performed there.
    The bronze memorial shows the author sitting melancholic in a chair. Under chair there are three reliefs depicting scenes from Kivi's well known novels.

• csordila's Profile Photo

The best-known Finnish painter

by csordila Updated Jun 24, 2009

Lake Keitele by Akseli Gallen-Kallela

Favorite thing: There has even been competition among artists over who creates the most convincing imitations of the outside world and its details.
    Academic art education was for centuries focused on precise representations of the human body. Outdoor painting broke this academic tradition, but brought new aspects into observing nature and depicting the different seasons.

Fondest memory: The best-known Finnish painter, Akseli Gallen-Kallela used the silent emptiness of the landscape itself to full evocative effect. All the blond irrationality of the deep Finn nationalities and some Stone Age comfort deficiency of the existence are in his painting.
    A sculpture was raised to his respect in Hungary, too: his monument stands in Budapest on the Buda side of the Danube coast.

• gugi66's Profile Photo

Exchange money

by gugi66 Written Mar 2, 2009

FOREX

Favorite thing: If you didn´t already exchanged money before you got to Finland you can exchange them in FOREX exchange company. Forex is a big company and can take alot of different currencys.

There is one FOREXat the central railway station. Or just go out on the web and search for the closest one to you.

• Lunaina's Profile Photo

Visitor Centre Suomenlinna

by Lunaina Written Sep 28, 2008

Favorite thing: When you make a visit to Suomenlinna go to the visitor centre. The people here can help you in finding your way on the islands, the centre also has many brochures, so lots of information. The visitor centre also has good museum, the Suomenlinna museum. If you take the JT Line ferry, you arrive on the visitor centre quay, you arrive in the middle of Suomenlinna, so you can choose what to visit first, the islands are all easily accessible and walkable...

Fondest memory: Suomenlinna and Seurasaari, I miss the nature, the peace, the beautiful sights, water and flowers everywhere!!!

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Kind and generous people

by BillNJ Written Mar 12, 2008

Favorite thing: Before visiting Helsinki, I had read that the Finnish people tend to be shy and withdrawn. In my experience, that is only partially true. I agree that the Finns are not as outgoing as many other people of the world -- and they will generally leave you alone if you don't approach them. However, after I took the initiative to introduce myself, most Finnish people whom I met were kind and generous.

Fortunately, most of the Finns that I met spoke English very well (I was told that English is a mandatory subject in Finnish schools). I enjoyed many interesting conversations. Also, on more than one occasion, a Finn bought me a drink as a gesture of friendship -- and expressed sincere appreciation that I chose to visit Finland on my vacation. My recommendation when visiting Finland is to take the initiative to start conversations with local Finns -- and to enjoy their friendship and goodwill.

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo

Check the activities program on the boat

by marielexoteria Updated Oct 5, 2007

Uspenski Cathedral from the boat bridge

Favorite thing: If you travel by boat, check out their activities program in case you can fit in something interesting. The time I went to Helsinki with Silja they had a tour to the bridge where the navigation instruments and the captain and first men work. The captain couldn't receive us but the first man did and it was very entertaining to have him explain what the different instruments did.

For safety reasons, (1) the mobile phones must be switched off when visiting the bridge and (2) digital cameras are accepted as long as no picture of the instruments or the bridge in general is taken.

Fondest memory: Being on the bridge :D

• Cruise

• bodo8's Profile Photo

Best city in the world!!!

by bodo8 Written Sep 17, 2007

Favorite thing: Simply the best!! I've been in Helsinki about 10 times in the last 5 years... It's an amazing city, not huge but big enough to have everything you need. There isn't a real old town but all the city deserves to be seen... There are a lot of interesting buildings, lot of parks and lot of green. Senatantori is maybe the most attractive place, but also the parlament, the church in the rock and lots of other places have to be visited. Don't forget to take a look over the city from the tower at olympic stadium, it's very nice!
    Everything works very well: organisation is perfect in Helsinki, and you will find trolleybuses, buses and trains, 24h a day.
    During the night Helsinki is always alive until late in the evening; best days to go out are Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, but everyday is the right one to have fun in Helsinki. The people (maybe because of litres of beer??) are very nice and friendly and it's easy to make friends and, last but not least, girls are very beautiful:-)

Fondest memory: The most thing I miss when I come back to Switzerland from Helsinki, is the liking and the friendship of Finns. I have a lot of friends there and they always let me feel like a king when I go to visit them.

• Castles and Palaces
    • Beer Tasting

• finlandia's Profile Photo

"The White Daughter of the Baltic"

by finlandia Updated May 30, 2007

Architecture in Helsinki

Favorite thing: Helsinki (Helsingfors in Swedish) is the northernmost capital on the European continent. It is the capital of the land of the midnight sun!

Helsinki has a coast line of 98 kilometers and there are beautiful 315 islands in Helsinki. Helsinki is called the White Daughter of the Baltic. So remember to visit these beautiful islands: Suomenlinna, Harakka etc.

But Helsinki isn't only a paradise for nature lovers. You find extremely good shops and old buildings in this capital. And there are over 600 restaurants in Helsinki :)

Instant Answers: Helsinki

Comments

Helsinki Favorites

Reviews and photos of Helsinki favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Helsinki sightseeing.

Helsinki Members Meetings