Molly Malones, Helsinki

Kaisaniemenkatu 1 C (09) 576 675

Know about this? Rate It!

• FINNS, Italians, and a lone American...Good times.
    FINNS, Italians, and a lone...
    by MDUBYAZ
  • Italians train a local in speaking ITALIANO!
    Italians train a local in speaking...
    Bartender extraordinarie...ISKI
  • Molly Malones: Terrible Irish Pub

by cooperg Written Sep 19, 2012

Paid 2.50 euro for them to lose my coat, and then swear at me and physically abuse me and a friend when I questioned them about it. A man who wasn't working when I handed over the coat insisted I only gave them a bag, and then when I pointed out that I paid for two of us, he said that we gave them two bags and a coat. After pointing out that he only gave back two bags, he told me to *** off, and pushed both of us outside.

It wasn't even worth going to anyway - the music and beer were poor.

• gaechka's Profile Photo

Molly Malones: Free enter, but paid cloakroom...

by gaechka Updated Apr 4, 2011

In front of Molly Malones

Sweden gal KATARINA, who lives in Helsinki, offer to us visite that club.
    Enter of club was for free, but if u have a backpacket, u have to leave it into cloakroom and pay about 5 euro for safety!

Dress Code: Feel ur free

• Music

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Molly Malones: Large Irish Pub

by BillNJ Updated Mar 21, 2008

On one evening during my stay, I stopped for a drink at Molly Malone's Irish Pub in Helsinki. It is a large pub with three bars on two floors. I ordered a beer at the bar on the ground floor nearest the front door. Almost right away, a couple of Norwegian women (who were quite intoxicated) started chatting with me. I made the mistake of telling them that I was an American. Upon hearing this, they started sharing their negative opinions about Americans, American politics, etc. During this conversation, I remember wishing that I had told these women that I was either Irish or Canadian.

Despite the bad timing of my visit, I would recommend Molly Malone's if you are seeking a casual Irish pub in the center of Helsinki.

• MDUBYAZ's Profile Photo

Molly Malones: In the night

by MDUBYAZ Updated Aug 13, 2006

Bartender extraordinarie...ISKI

Simply put, the best place in Europe I have been to meet locals and travellers(...only consists of 15 European countries and maybe 50 bars) Let's start with the friendly, English speking staff - quality friendly. The 4 times, oops, I visited there, the bands were great, as were the locals met. It is like the locals know they will meet travellers and the atmosphere is reflected in that. Be prepared to chat with strangers, hear cool tunes and throw back a cool Finnish(or whatever) beer. KIPPAS!!! (Cheers)

Dress Code: I wore a coat a few nights...kind of overdressed. Jeans and a tshirt, whatever...

• Molly Malones: Watch out for your wallets

by kaarlo666 Written May 26, 2005
    molly malones

Watch out for your wallets.Yesterday I was cheated by one bartender.Beer was 5.10.I gave him 20€ and got back only 4.90€.Perhaps it was just an accident or maybe that guy does it all the time.

• morgenhund's Profile Photo

Molly Malones: Green Beer for St Paddies

by morgenhund Written Apr 11, 2005

The bar opens at 11am from Monday to Saturday and from Midday on Sundays – closing time from a somewhat hazy memory was around 2-3am – surely a good sign, that I couldn’t remember!

Guinness is on tap - a pint of Guinness will set you back EUR 5.90 (GBP 4.00) - this seemed to be average. Most other beers cost EUR 4.10 or more (from GBP 2.85).

As seems to be the standard in Finland, a glass is not served full – you get 0.5l in a pint glass – often with very little head – especially with the Lapin Kulta (the local brew). Being St Patrick's Day, there was of course the usual green pint.

There are three bars in Molly’s - one on the ground floor, and two upstairs - one large bar and a "relief" bar up towards the stage where a band plays most nights - usually from 9:30pm onwards - and there is no admission charge. On quiet evenings the relief bar is usually shut. Usually the same band is booked for a whole week – I can’t remember what they were singing but from memory a lot are “Irish” – i.e. apparently Irish but you can’t always be sure! St Patrick’s night was heaving.

The customers seemed to be enjoying themselves – we sure as hell were! It was a good sign that there were plenty of customers queuing to get in at 11:30pm – when I decided to give my wallet a rest! The bar staff were good – quick and reliable - although on St Patrick's Day they were certainly being pushed hard with the place absolutely packed.

From memory the place may not be the most disabled friendly – I recollect a lot of steps up and down around the place, and don't recollect there being ground floor toilets – on which note a word of caution: the two doors to the toilets at the top of the stairs are both to the Ladies - for the Gents you'll have to head on round the corner past the relief bar.

Earlier in the evening you should get seats – there are a lot of barrel tables with stools – and there is a mezzanine level table which is good for a group. Tables can be reserved - a good idea for a busy night - otherwise you'll have to stand.

Dress Code: No real dress code

• buffalo1975's Profile Photo

Molly Malones: good ambience

by buffalo1975 Written Mar 28, 2005

This was a good place, which was next to my hotel. I normally prefer to try local bars and not the foreign phemed places. But the live music enticed me, there are often good bands there, that weekend i was there, there was an irish band singing coldplay,U2, etc, of course as its an Irish bar!

49 euros for a beer, friendly staff. must be capacity for 300+ people, mostly upstairs.

Warning, the bouncer wont let you in if you seem drunk, so at least try and act sober!

They show all Football and rugby from all over the world.

• Ken-out-of-Bath's Profile Photo

Molly Malones: Something for Everybody

by Ken-out-of-Bath Written Jan 26, 2005
    Molly's

I visited Helsinki a couple of times and found bars that were very quiet. It seemed to me, at that time, that Helsinki had no night life.

One day I read about Molly Malone's and decided to check it out. Usually I stay away from the touristy type places but I was getting desperate.

I entered Molly's and the bar downstairs was quite full. It was a very small bar which didn't seem capable of hosting a good night so I asked the Irish Bar staff where I should go for the evening. They suggested the upstairs bar. I was sceptical but went to look...

It was EXCELLENT!!!

They have a live Irish band every night , there is a Black Jack Table and two bars. EVERY night is like a Saturday night in Molly's, except Saturday which is like three rolled into one!

It is my favourite Irish Bar anywhere, they do have Finnish people working there but the managers and some of the staff are Irish - It works.

Dress Code: No nudity.

• Luxury Travel
    • Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• mario_spring_83's Profile Photo

Molly Malones: The coolest bar in Helsinki

by mario_spring_83 Written Aug 27, 2004

the women's toilet...

It is for sure the coolest bar-pub i've seen in helsinki!
    It frequently hosts a band who plays good music and, especially on fridays and on saturdays it is really plenty of people (we've been there several times and on friday and on saturday it was difficult even to move because of so many people!).
    The ground floor is small and quiet but if you go upstairs things change and, the first time you go, you find an unexpected dynamic atmosphere.
    The Molly is also a good place to make new interesting meetings ....here people are simply...cool!
    do not miss it!

Dress Code: As you like

• daveland's Profile Photo

Molly Malones: Fun pub with a great mix of people

by daveland Written Jul 20, 2004

It's really a bar, not a nightclub, but this two level bar has a wide mix of tourists and locals alike. Well known as a friendly place to hang out, even if travelling alone. I had a great time here until the wee hours.

• Singles

• Molly Malones: Life music every evening

by MartinaH Updated Jul 16, 2004

If you like live music and wonna have fun, just have a look at Molly Malones. It's a great place and typical Irish pub ! We met many people from different countries during our night out there.

You shouldn't go too late 'cause it's pretty fancy and they won't let you in if there are already too many people. But if ever you get inside - GREAT !!!

The live music is great and the drinks are a bit over average, but therefor very tasty !!

The entry is free and the live music starts around 9.30 pm

• Molly Malones: pass the guiness

by wiggy2003 Written Jan 26, 2004

This was the first pub I came to when I arrived in Finland and it might as well have been the only. Molly Malones has great music, beer, and plenty of the fairer sex. a finnish "Fantasy Island" without the annoying spanish midget

Dress Code: Dress Code? Are you kidding??

• Molly Malones Irish Pub: Irish Finland [1]

by sabsi Updated Nov 7, 2003

Molly Malones

This pub is huuuuge and crowded. A very nice atmosphere - even though you meet more foreigners than Finnish people here! The pub is twinned with legendary Brazen Head Pub in Dublin, Ireland!

Dress Code: None. It's an Irish pub after all...

• msleinon's Profile Photo

Molly Malone's: Having fun

by msleinon Written Nov 5, 2002

Really nice Irish pub near railwaystation, so easy to get there etc. Nice atmosphere and live music daily. Open Mon-Tue 11-02, Wed-Sat 11-03 and Sun 12-02.
    Homepage with the list of bands playing etc.

Dress Code: Casual, really come as you are

• cvsolfari's Profile Photo

Molly Malone's - This is a...

by cvsolfari Written Aug 26, 2002

Molly Malone's - This is a great Irish pub with live bands at least every weekend.
    A very friendly pub that you will not confuse with one of the Helsinki dance clubs. Good beer selection and a 20s crowd upstairs.

Dress Code: Casual