Papa Giovanni, Helsinki

by katlau
  • annase's Profile Photo

Papa Giovanni Spaghetteria: Spaghetteria

by annase Updated May 23, 2013

The Spaghetteria has now closed for business

I visited Papa Giovanni Spaghetteria in August 2007 and had a nice enough salad (I think it was Chicken Caesar Salad) there. Although the service was speedy and friendly, I didn't think the food was that special. It is certainly not very authentic Italian despite of having an Italian name and menu. The restaurant is part of a large company called the S group, which owns several restaurants in town and does also business in retail and hospitality. Unfortunately, I haven't been back there since. However, I was probably expecting a bit more than what Papa Giovanni was able to offer. Recently, I found that they also have a proper restaurant, rather than the one I went to which was just their Spaghetteria on the bottom of the WTC Plaza.. Oh well, you live and learn.

The WTC Plaza is pretty ideal location-wise though, if you haven't got time to look for a place to eat much further, and the food is decent enough, so if you aren't too fussed, by all means try it out. The prices are about average in Helsinki.

• Women's Travel
    • Business Travel

• Knutt's Profile Photo

Papà Giovanni: A Touch of Italy

by Knutt Updated Sep 3, 2003

Papà Giovanni is situated on the second floor of Helsinki's World Trade Center. The restaurant's interior really brings a touch of Italy to the Finnish city and so does the excellent food.
    All the meals are prepared on demand with fresh ingredients and the service is very nice.
    If you want to go for pizza, the Papà Giovanni is NOT the place you are looking for. The rather small menue, that changes regularly, mainly offers meat dishes and various kinds of pasta.
    Although the restaurant provides seats for quite many guests, you might want to make reservations for dinner at weekends as this place is very popular among people of all ages.

Favorite Dish: Well, I had salmon with prawns which was served with lemon polenta and ruccola when I visited the restaurant for the first time. I liked it very much and wanted to visit the Papà Giovanni again.

Last time I was there I took breast of duck which came accompanied by spinarch and almond potatoes. The taste was again wonderful but the size of the portion was rather tiny.
    The wine list had also shrunk quite a bit and does not tell you anything about the characters of the different wines anymore. I had the feeling that the prices of the beverages had gone up quite a bit.

• einokj's Profile Photo

Papa Giovanni: Italian restaurant, T II

by einokj Written Feb 17, 2003

This is one of the most popular restaurants in Helsinki. When I was there last time, the place was really packed with people. Practically you should have a reservation beforehand in saturday evening. Our waitress was bit too busy due to the big group she had to serve so the service was bit slow. However, she understood it herself and apologized which is way too rare and nice gesture. Therefore, I thank for good service. The food was good, though bit expensive (more expensive than Vespa). The atmosphere was bit hectic, but I liked it. Well worth going and I understood why people like it.

Favorite Dish: Pasta dishes.

Instant Answers: Helsinki

Comments

Hotels Near Papa Giovanni
139 Opinions