There is a lot of Kuopio information available on-line.
There is also city information office and in the summer, the information come to here, a group of young students will tour around and the city and will be willing to answer all your questions related to Kuopio.
THE MICROBREWERY -VANHA TROKARI-
This local pub has its own beers and 15 different self-distilled liquors such as:
* SALMARI, a mixture made of finnish strong liquorice (SALMIAKKI) and etanol
* TERVA, a mixture of tar and etanol
* MUSTA KISSA (Black Cat), a mixture of both finnish liquorice & Tar and etanol
and many other specialities!
Address: Kauppakatu 29, 70100 Kuopio
Tel. (17) 263 3311
Fax. (17) 262 1113
On the picture at the rear, the orange colored building is Kuopio's Town Hall and the Market Place in full action. At the right is the covered market and in the front the Horse-Carriage or VOSSIKKA which is nowadays a well-known tourist-attraction.
The first *taxis* used to be these Vossikka-carriages 150 years ago! In 1851, the arrival of horse-carriages meant that Kuopio was no longer a small town as it needed local traffic. At the best time there were 80 Vossikka to please and help local people and tourists to get around Kuopio!
In 1921, 'rent-aubomobiles' or taxis replaced gradually the romantic horse-carriages.
SOME BRIEF FACTS & FIGURES
* Finland's eighth-biggest city
* Population: 85,000
* Distance: about 400 km from Helsinki, 50 minutes by air, 4½ hours by train or bus
* Kuopio was founded in 1782 as an administrative and commercial centre
* Seat of Lutheran Bishop
* Seat of Orthodox Archbishop
* Orthodox Church Museum with splendid collection of icons
* Univercity town: Kuopio University, founded 1966.
Faculties: Medicine, Natural and Environmental Sciences, Pharmacy, and Social Sciences. 55 professors, 35 assistant professors, about 200 other teaching staff, 1,000 employees in all, nearly 3,700 students
* Venue for ski-jump competition in World Cup series
* Ice Marathon every winter on lake Kallavesi
VISIT THE MARKET PLACE
On a warm sunny morning the ideal is to start your day with a cup of coffee and POSSUMUNKKI - a sweet flat doughnut filled with jam or the salty version LIHAPIIRAKKA filled with rice and minced meat and both bought from Hanna Partanen trailer.
She is best known for her KALA
-KUKKO. This is a speciality of Savo-Region made of vendance (tiny fish), lard and baked in a rye flour crust.
Favorite thing: The view is from the big tower of Kuopio, it is a typical image of this magnificent country. Finland has 187.888 lakes, other so many islands, 460.000 km of coast!