Jyväskylä Restaurants

The favourite dish :D
  • Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Jyväskylä

• Turska's Profile Photo

Gringos Locos: Tex mex and slow service..

by Turska Written Oct 5, 2013

We love the Gringos Locos of Tampere, so we went there in here also. We were in little bit hurry, but it took 1h and 10min since the main dish arrived!! The service is REALLY slow (Sadly I´ve heard from my friends it is allways the same), but the food was good. But the portions were smaller than in Tampere. My steak was quite small. Luckily we took the starters also.
    If you want tex mex, go here, but be known, that you shouldn´t be in hurry!

Favorite Dish: Some of the spicy steaks. My husband loves the fajitas.

Harry´s: Many interesting beers

by Turska Written Oct 5, 2013

We went to Jyväskylä this time to work at Craft beer festival. So after the work has done, we wanted to vivit this "new" pub (it´s not new anymore, but wasn´t here last time we were in Jyväskylä over night). It was a good choise, they had some really interesting beers we hadn´t seen before. So it was a good choise for group of people having beer tasting as a hobby. Not maybe to someone, who just want to get drunk, because I heard somone saying that "normal" beer was expensive. (Hard to say, I never order just "pint of lager" as some people)

There was live music at friday night. Quite fun band making country versions out of famous rock songs. Funny to hear Billy Idols "White wedding" as a country version.

Favorite Dish: I don´t think they have food there.

• Beer Tasting

Rosso: Where I had my first pizza ever :D

by Turska Written Nov 12, 2011

Rosso is a big chain owned by same company, witch owns Finnish biggest grocery store chain S-markets and Sokos-hotels.
    I don´t usually go to theses chain restaurants anymore, but when I was a student, there was hardly any other kinds of reasonable priced restaurants at Jyväskylä. And maybe there is nothing wrong (at least at pizzas) of food of Rossos, but many places have better food I think. When I was around 15 years, in the end of 1980´s, my friend took me to Rosso, because she wanted to have a pizza. I said I hate pizza, but she didn´t want to hear my words. In my mind pizza was something my mother made at saturday nights after the sauna, and she had pastry dough with butter and put lots of mushrooms, asparagus, big slices of tomato and strong emmentaler cheese on the top. I was surpriced to see I had several other choises to choose for the pizza ( I didn´t like any of those my mother uses) and didn´t even need to get those big tomato slices witch were at every homemade pizza I had seen. And the cheese was much better also ( I still don´t like very strong cheese for some reason). When I had my first real pizza (with real pizza- bottom also!) I was sold to pizza. Now I sometimes wish I wouldn´t have tasted it, because I love pizza now :D Too bad it´s not a health-food.

Place is very children friendly. I don´t have any, but I have been there with somone who has. There was toys and such.

Favorite Dish: Pizza fantasia, where you can choose 4 toppings. I know Finnish pizza has too much toppings if you ask from Italians, but I do like our pizzas a lot. I do also like "real" Italian pizza. There´s no reason why you couldn´t love both :)

Shalimar: Indian food

by Turska Written Nov 12, 2011

This place was new (haven´t been here when I lived next to Jyväskylä) and we love Indian, so we choosed to try it.
    My husband liked his food a lot. I think mine tasted too much like it wouldn´t have done by themselves from beginning. Like made from some half ready sauce. Not bad, but not maybe as good as I hoped for. We have so good Indain food in Tampere (even my sisters Indian friends say it´s the best Indian in Finland), that maybe it has made me too critical ;)
    Naan bread was good, and they did have Indian beer also.

Favorite Dish: Maybe I will say Tandoor chicken anyway.

the Old Brick´s Inn: Best pub in town when I was a student

by Turska Updated Dec 2, 2009

If we go to Jyväskylä and want a beer at night,this is the place to go.It was here allready when I was a student at the begining of 1990´s and this was the place to go at friday.Also there was place called"Zeppelin",but sadly some jurks ruined it,and it had to be closed down.
    Ten years ago they had quite often a singer and guitar singin Neil Yong,Eric Clapton,Doors.Van Morrison etc..But I´m not sure if it´s still a habit.

Edit:In November 2009 we visited Bricks again.It has become much bigger,and it was crowded.Not anymore anyone pleying guitar and singing and the prices has gone up!Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier was 6,50e!!!! I thought that I heard wrong.In all ways it was much more expensive than pubs in Tampere.But I´m not sure,if pubs in Jyväskylä are allways more expensive today.Place was still nice,but not like it used to be.Not so different from many others I think.
    Good selection of beers anyway.

Favorite Dish: Actually we have usually only drunk something,but once I ate something-it was o.k.,but I don´t remember exactly-it was about 10 years ago..
    My friend told me (November 2009) that they had much better kitchen now.Didn´try,so can´t tell if it´s true.I saw people eating fish and chips or hamburgers,so nothing so different.

• Beer Tasting

• Soppabaari: Pasta and soup - the best place in Jyväskylä

by kirahvi Written Jul 15, 2009

Soppabaari is the perfect place to spend an hour or more. It is a small and cozy restaurant with rich colors in decoration and interesting music choices. You do not hear your generic Billboard hits there. There is a blue board outside the restaurant showing the menu of the day, or more likely of the hour, as it usually changes during the day as well. They do not have a real menu there, but they offer 5 options each day, always 3 soups and 2 pastas to choose from. There is also a small selection of tapas-like snack food. They always offer at least one soup suitable for vegetarians, and it is possible to get a vegetarian version of any pasta as well. If you fall in love with some dish there and are staying in Jyväskylä for a longer period, you can even give the restaurant owners your phone number, and they will let you know when your favorite soup or pasta is on the menu again!

Soppabaari is a very comfortable place with a lot of ambience about it. Do not miss it! It is often quite packed there, especially during the lunch time, because it is such a small space. If you don't get a table try coming back a bit later, or you can have take out there as well.

All pastas and soups are 7 euros and the portions are generous. The menu is in Finnish only, but all the staff speak English and, I'm sure, happy to help you.

Figaro: My favourite restaurant

by Vesanto Written Jun 17, 2009

Figaro is a small, private non-smoking restaurant in the centre of town. It has a good French-type kitchen able to provide special versions of the dishes for e.g. allergic customers. The style is "Finnish-European", the service polite but relaxed, the prices normal for a dining restaurant (i.e. not cheap in Finland). Children are welcome, there are toys and a table for changing nappies in the toilet. It also has a good wine list.

This is a restaurant where both Sara, 4 years old, and her grandma, 75 years old, feel good and eat good. This also is a place where I have dined with foreign guests and we have felt at home. This summer we have reserved one half of the restaurant for a couple of hours for a family occasion.

The restaurant is not suited for wheelchairs. It is situated in an older house and the steps are rather bad.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish is either the grilled Finnish whitefish (some 23 euros), or liver fried in rye, served with mushrooms (20 euros) - most restaurants don't even serve liver, and this is good! Check the menu in Internet, it is there in English, too.

• Business Travel

All of them - rated by customers: Restaurants in Jyväskylä

by Vesanto Updated Jun 17, 2009

There is a web page listing more or less all the restaurants, bars, cafes, night clubs etc. in Jyväskylä. Unfortunately it is only in Finnish. However, with a bit of creativity I think you could find out the basic information: restaurant type, rating, address, and restaurants own web page.

• nomadig's Profile Photo

Amarillo: Okay tex-mex

by nomadig Written Mar 10, 2009

Amarillo is a tex-mex restaurant chain owned by the Finnish retail giant SOK. They are found in every bigger city in Finland, and they do resemble each other in every sense. Usually, they present the only tex-mex choice in the city -- Chico's is not considered as an option here. Fortunately, the concept works and the food is decent or better.

Jyväskylä's Amarillo is located in Kolmikulma, at the end of the walking Kauppakatu walking district. As the town centre is pretty small, everything is in walking distance.

The menu is extensive and focuses on more American side of tex-mex. Amarillo has a peculiar habit of using the same ingredients, such as their BBQ sauce or whisky marinade, in most of the portions. Sometimes I feel that it really doesn't matter what you order, as it will taste the same. Nevertheless, the food is good and portions are big. Don't expect anything spectacular, but keeping the expectations at the bay will reduce possible disappointments.

The service in Jyväskylä was way better than usually, and our waitress was an extraordinary person in a Finnish restaurants -- attentive and genuinely engaged with you while serving the table. This was probably an error, and will be rectified when the management finds out.

• Vesanto's Profile Photo

Student restaurants: Finding cheap lunch (other than hamburgers!)

by Vesanto Updated Dec 6, 2008

Jyväskylä has about ten student lunch restaurants. They offer often very good food, usually with self service so you can eat as much as you want with about 5 euros depending on the menu you choose (proper beef etc. costs about 8 euros in 2008-2009). Students with a Finnish student card get reduction.

These restaurants are free for everybody - if you can find them! The best rated restaurants are Ilokivi in the centre of the university campus (owned by the student union), Piato in Mattilanniemi campus, and Rosmariini (Saarijärventie 21).

You should try the traditional LOZZI (University campus, P-building), menu in Finnish www.sonaatti.fi/lozzi, lunch Mon-Fri 10.30 - 16. It has been planned by the famous architect Alvar Aalto - lots of wood surfaces and interesting structures.

Favorite Dish: Student restaurants have at least 3 different choises each day. They always offer also a vegetarian choise.

• Study Abroad

• nomadig's Profile Photo

Ranskalaiset Korot: Best restaurant in the town?

by nomadig Updated Sep 28, 2008

Ranskalaiset Korot is most probably the best restaurant in Jyväskylä. It is located in small boutique hotel Yöpuu, and shares the menu with restaurant Pöllövaari.

The restaurant is not big, less than ten tables and one cabinet. The style could be described as Finnish gourmet with a little French twist. The portions are huge, but they still taste good. We have room for dessert after having appetizers and main course. The service is attentive and personal, and not too pushy.

Favorite Dish: Try any Finnish fish.

• Business Travel

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Scandic Hotel Restaurant

by Gili_S Written Sep 20, 2008

In Jyväskylä there aren’t many options to choose from where to eat, there are hardly any ethnic or interesting restaurants, so in my last visit the Scandic Hotel Restaurant was the choice and that was actually very good one, a delicious food and good services.

*Not to mention that as hotel guest I got voucher which make it for us dinner for two in the price of one.

Favorite Dish: See in images 1 & 2.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Rosso

by Gili_S Written Dec 23, 2007

The Rosso networks of restaurants are all over Finland. In Helsinki there is much better to chose from so I can avoid them, unfortunately in Jyväskylä there isn’t many options so that was the place to have a nice dinner.

• empbu's Profile Photo

Coffee House: Cafe

by empbu Written Jun 15, 2004

A nice cafe on the promenade. It was fun to spend time there - read the day's paper, sip coffee and watch the people go by.

Favorite Dish: I've only tasted coffee called Tazza Dream, it was VERY sweet but I liked it. I think there was coffee, vanilla cream, chocolate & caramel sauce... and something I can't remember! (2,70 euros)

• empbu's Profile Photo

Ye Old Brick's Inn: A very nice beer restaurant :)

by empbu Written Jun 15, 2004

Favorite Dish: Last time I was there I had Forest Chicken - if I remember correctly there was chicken, garlic potatoes and creamy mushroom sauce... mmm, lovely :) (12,90 euros)

When I was there first time I had a delicious meal, beef with Guinness sauce :-p

Instant Answers: Jyväskylä

Comments

Jyväskylä Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Jyväskylä restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Jyväskylä sightseeing.