Rovaniemi Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Rovaniemi

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

Skiing in the arctic circle!

by angiebabe Updated Jun 30, 2006

As part of my ski tour around the world i have skiied at Levi 3 hours north of Rovaniemi and had a great time!! During my days at Rovaniemi the temperatures were rather low and the ski fields can not operate at temperatures colder than minus 25!

so when the forecast was such that it looked likely Levi would open the next day i jumped on an early morning bus - leaving Rovanemi about 7 am - i found that public bus transport went smoothly and on time despite serious temperatures and snow on the roads!! The bus to Levi left and arrived on time.

Getting rental ski equipment was a pleasant and easy process with pleasant service and a low price for one day rental. Got my boots etc quickly and easily and with my ski pass off i went. When the sun started going down about 2 or 3 in the afternoon the nightlights came on - excellent serious night skiing provided!! the ski field had a good range of runs with tbars and gondolas - only thing is after a while - the minus 16 we started at started to drop and my feet started to notably get cold and uncomfortable when using the tbars.

there is a service or shopping/hotel centre where the bus stops with toilet and meal facilites and luggage storage.

i enjoyed and recommend my day or more if you want skiing in the Arctic Circle amongst the lovely people of Finland.

• Skiing and Boarding

A real icebreaker at Kemi

by angiebabe Written Jan 31, 2006

When i arrived in Helsinki i phoned the bookings number for the one of ?two icebreaker ships in the world in use for the general public - booked a place and got an overnight train from helsinki heading north to Kemi and taxi to the 'port' - everything was heavily snowed over for miles!!
    Off we went with mostly japanese tourists on our exciting adventure!! We got a thorough tour and explanations of the working of the icebreaker and its ability to crush through very thick ice and that the ice we were going out into the harbour or ocean could be 2-3 metres deep - we then had an excellent lunch including the choice of local salmon or reindeer and then we were out to give our full attention to crushing through deep ice out in the miles and miles of ice until we came to a stop and put on dry suits - very glamourous but amazing!! we were able to jump into the area of water behind the boat and float in the subzero temperatures of the sea between Finland and Sweden.
    we were very well looked after and educated on what we doing and it was a thoroughly excellent notch to my belt of things to do before i die!!

expensive but cheaper than ads i have since seen offering package deals

• Luxury Travel

Santa Claus Village and Arctic Circle Marker

by angiebabe Written Jan 31, 2006

Went out in minus 25 degrees during the day but lovely blue sky and sun to the Arctic Circle!! Another adventure and exciting notch in my belt!

This is the official Santa Claus address with 'his' post office here - so you can mail stuff such as letters and post cards with Santas postmark - and all sorts of souvenirs. Or, not that i bothered, join the queue to meet and have a photo with a white haired guy in a santa suit.
    Take photos of the sign that marks the arctic circle and the signposts of how far to get to whatever international city from there.
    Also went walking around as there are reindeer parks for the tourists reindeer rides and a paddock nearby with loads of very cute reindeer for upclose shots. Especially with an arctic sunset in the background - about 3 oclock in the afternoon.
    Then i walked about 2-3 km to a reindeer safari park - info from the tourist office in Rovaniemi and i had prebooked with them by phone for a reindeer ride - i had to get there by the time the daylight had gone - but by the time i got there and then had to wait around a bit for the rest of the tourists booked for reindeer rides it was minus 33 and my feet started to freeze - I was getting too cold and my feet became excrutiatingly painful but the woman owner gave me a lift into town so i had a great experience overall that day. Still didnt see any aurora lights though!!

Arktikum museum

by angiebabe Written Jan 31, 2006

An excellent museum with loads of interesting stuff about Lapland and its tribes ie the Sami peoples, the Arctic fauna and flora, interesting info of the Nazis invasion and involvement .
    Housed in an architecturally interesting building - especially with its glass area looking out to the snow when i was there in mid freezing season.

• Museum Visits

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Lappi Areena

by Gili_S Updated Jan 22, 2006

This is a sport and culture arena not far from the city centre. It is in unique shape inspired by the landscape of the high hills of Lapland. You have to see the real Lapland before you understand the idea of this interesting architecture work.

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Riverboat cruise to the reindeer farm

by bpacker Updated Dec 11, 2005

After meeting Santa Claus in Rovaniemi, Liz and I went on a riverboat cruise to a reindeer farm somewhere in the depths of Lapland. Join me on this fantastic journey, won't you?

The adventure company responsible for this dingbat adventure of mine was Arctic Safaris. I'll recommend them highly since their guides were cute and highly professional and the cost was somewhat reasonable too. The riverboat cruise to the reindeer farm cost something like 50euros and it included transfers from the hotel. (Check out the website link below if you're keen on the same adventure. Do note that prices might have changed since I had this adventure in 2002.)

My Arctic Cruise started from Koskikatu Pier. Read on to find out what dingbat adventures I got into.

Koskikatu Pier, Rovaneimi

Traditional Lapp Welcome!

by bpacker Updated Dec 11, 2005

After checking out the reindeer and traditional Rovaneimi houses, we were welcomed by a Lapp woman who wore her pretty, native colourful costume. She served us hot chocolate and obliged our request for a photo with a beautiful smile. Ah, this warm Lapp Welcome felt good in the cold Finnish Weather. Liz and I were glad that we went on this little tour of the reindeer farm.

Read on to find out what other dingbat adventures I got into on the Riverboat Cruise to a Reindeer Farm in Finland.

Warm Lapp Welcome, Rovaniemi

Traditional Lapp Houses

by bpacker Updated Dec 11, 2005

Other than the "kota" tepees which we saw, there was also the "kammi" a turf-covered log hut that I also saw in Sweden and Norway ( Narvik). I'm not too sure about this but I suppose the turf keeps the house looking pretty and green and keeps out the cold as well? Whatever it was, Liz couldn't resist a shot of the pretty house, with the cute guide of couse;p !

Traditional Lapp Tepees

by bpacker Updated Dec 11, 2005

Other than the reindeer, there were several types of traditional Lapp housing to be seen and visited at the farm. Take the "kota" tepees for example, doesn't it look strangely like an North American Indian Tepee? It's also made of hide and when we ventured in, it was strangely snug and dark.

Our cute guide beside the Kota

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Feeding the reindeer by hand

by bpacker Updated Dec 11, 2005

Our guide also added that at the farm only selected reindeer are kept so that they could be trained for sledge pulling and for reindeer racing. We were amused and tried our hand at feeding these magnificent creatures. It was a great experience though one of the reindeer got a little excited during feeding time and jumped on poor Liz! Both deer and gal fell to the ground. Lol. LIz was more amused than anything else, no serious injuries since the creature was so furry;p

Trying my hand at feeding a young adult

Majestic Reindeer in Rovaniemi

by bpacker Updated Dec 11, 2005

Once we were at the reindeer farm, our mouths fell open the sight of the beautiful creatures. Somehow, years of watching animated versions of Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer did not prepare us for this grand sight. Liz and I were awed by the majesty of the crown of velvety-brown antlers on the male adults and we admired it for quite a while. Somewhere in the background, our guide patiently explained to us, the daft sods from Singapore, how these semi-wild animals roamed free in the woods during summer and are rounded up in winter when food is scarce. Each reindeer is tagged with the owner's details so collection is not confusing.

Majestic Antlers Majestic Antlers

Experiencing the Finnish Ruska

by bpacker Updated Dec 11, 2005

After reaching the riverbank, we had to cut thru' a Finnish brushland before arriving at a reindeer farm. Not too surprisingly, there were no mosquitoes at 0c! We walked along a little wooden walkway and admired the greenery around us. Though this lousy pix doesn't do the scenary justice, Rovaniemi is truly beautiful in Autumn. The trees were in dappled shades of green, gold and brown. The Finnish also have a name to describe the beautiful colours of autumn, they call it "Ruska" *

*Liz and I found out about Ruska when we talked to a blond Finnish gal who shared our train bunk with us. She told us that Finnish folk would return to their hometown during this season just so to look at the magical colours of autumn.

Finnish Ruska Cutting thru a Finnish Brush

A Green Tunnel at the Kemijoki River

by bpacker Updated Dec 11, 2005

Other than the bloody cold weather, the river cruise in Rovaniemi was fine really. From the river Kemijoki we turned into Pudas, a delta area where the passage is sometimes only a few meters wide and the willow trees on the riverbank form a green tunnel. How beautiful it was!

A green tunnel

Cruising in Kemijoki River, Finland

by bpacker Updated Dec 11, 2005

Now, way before Liz and I started our Arctic adventures, Liz contacted Arctic Safaris (Finland) from Singapore and told them we were interested in a soft adventure tour to a reindeer farm. The Finnish staff replied almost immediately and told us that they would send someone over to pick us from the hotel. And they honoured their promise...

On the day of our arrival in Rovaneimi, a cute Finnish guide picked us up in the afternoon in a rugged 4WD and proceeded to the office where we paid for the programme by VISA and got kitted out in orangey life vests. From there, we proceeded to Koskikatu Pier (somewhere in the center of Rovaniemi) and went on a cruise on the Kemijoki River in a long, narrow boat. The cruise was fast, exciting but bloody cold considering that it was 0c in fall! We sped past the brown river straight to the reindeer farm.

Liz and our guide, cruising the Kemijoki River Orange is not my colour..

The official Santa Claus Post Office

by bpacker Updated Dec 11, 2005

Other than visiting the Santa Claus' himself in Rovaniemi, try to pop into the original Santa Claus Post Office. Why, surely you'd want to post mom and pop a letter from the Arctic Circle right? Don't forget to buy a Santa stamp while you're at it;p

Have you always wondered where all those letters addressed to Santa Claus go to ? They arrive here, in the far north, way above the arctic circle, in the official Santa Claus Post Office.Yes, this is the very place that receives letters from children all over the world.
    Most of the letters I've seen were marked "Santa Claus, North Pole, the Arctic Circle" or simply, " Santa, North Pole". They come from all over the world, and surprisingly, nice Mr Santa answers all those letters and files them neatly in a wooden cupboard! So when I ventured a peek into the cupboard, I found out that the biggest stack of letters came from.....SINGAPORE!. Ugh, God only knows what our Singaporean kids ask for!

Santa Claus' Main Post Office is open every day: June, July, August and December 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., other months 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Santa's Post Office, Rovaniemi, Finland

Instant Answers: Rovaniemi

Comments

Rovaniemi Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Rovaniemi things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Rovaniemi sightseeing.