Rovaniemi Things to Do

Best Rated Things to Do in Rovaniemi

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Feeding the reindeer by hand

by bpacker Updated Dec 11, 2005

Trying my hand at feeding a young adult

Our guide also added that at the farm only selected reindeer are kept so that they could be trained for sledge pulling and for reindeer racing. We were amused and tried our hand at feeding these magnificent creatures. It was a great experience though one of the reindeer got a little excited during feeding time and jumped on poor Liz! Both deer and gal fell to the ground. Lol. LIz was more amused than anything else, no serious injuries since the creature was so furry;p

Read on to find out what other dingbat adventures I got into on the Riverboat Cruise to a Reindeer Farm in Finland.

Traditional Lapp Tepees

by bpacker Updated Dec 11, 2005

Our cute guide beside the Kota

Other than the reindeer, there were several types of traditional Lapp housing to be seen and visited at the farm. Take the "kota" tepees for example, doesn't it look strangely like an North American Indian Tepee? It's also made of hide and when we ventured in, it was strangely snug and dark.

Traditional Lapp Houses

by bpacker Updated Dec 11, 2005

Other than the "kota" tepees which we saw, there was also the "kammi" a turf-covered log hut that I also saw in Sweden and Norway ( Narvik). I'm not too sure about this but I suppose the turf keeps the house looking pretty and green and keeps out the cold as well? Whatever it was, Liz couldn't resist a shot of the pretty house, with the cute guide of couse;p !

Cruising in Kemijoki River, Finland

Liz and our guide, cruising the Kemijoki River

Now, way before Liz and I started our Arctic adventures, Liz contacted Arctic Safaris (Finland) from Singapore and told them we were interested in a soft adventure tour to a reindeer farm. The Finnish staff replied almost immediately and told us that they would send someone over to pick us from the hotel. And they honoured their promise...

On the day of our arrival in Rovaneimi, a cute Finnish guide picked us up in the afternoon in a rugged 4WD and proceeded to the office where we paid for the programme by VISA and got kitted out in orangey life vests. From there, we proceeded to Koskikatu Pier (somewhere in the center of Rovaniemi) and went on a cruise on the Kemijoki River in a long, narrow boat. The cruise was fast, exciting but bloody cold considering that it was 0c in fall! We sped past the brown river straight to the reindeer farm.

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Riverboat cruise to the reindeer farm

Koskikatu Pier, Rovaneimi

After meeting Santa Claus in Rovaniemi, Liz and I went on a riverboat cruise to a reindeer farm somewhere in the depths of Lapland. Join me on this fantastic journey, won't you?

The adventure company responsible for this dingbat adventure of mine was Arctic Safaris. I'll recommend them highly since their guides were cute and highly professional and the cost was somewhat reasonable too. The riverboat cruise to the reindeer farm cost something like 50euros and it included transfers from the hotel. (Check out the website link below if you're keen on the same adventure. Do note that prices might have changed since I had this adventure in 2002.)

My Arctic Cruise started from Koskikatu Pier. Read on to find out what dingbat adventures I got into.

Experiencing the Finnish Ruska

Finnish Ruska

After reaching the riverbank, we had to cut thru' a Finnish brushland before arriving at a reindeer farm. Not too surprisingly, there were no mosquitoes at 0c! We walked along a little wooden walkway and admired the greenery around us. Though this lousy pix doesn't do the scenary justice, Rovaniemi is truly beautiful in Autumn. The trees were in dappled shades of green, gold and brown. The Finnish also have a name to describe the beautiful colours of autumn, they call it "Ruska" *

*Liz and I found out about Ruska when we talked to a blond Finnish gal who shared our train bunk with us. She told us that Finnish folk would return to their hometown during this season just so to look at the magical colours of autumn.

Majestic Reindeer in Rovaniemi

Majestic Antlers

Once we were at the reindeer farm, our mouths fell open the sight of the beautiful creatures. Somehow, years of watching animated versions of Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer did not prepare us for this grand sight. Liz and I were awed by the majesty of the crown of velvety-brown antlers on the male adults and we admired it for quite a while. Somewhere in the background, our guide patiently explained to us, the daft sods from Singapore, how these semi-wild animals roamed free in the woods during summer and are rounded up in winter when food is scarce. Each reindeer is tagged with the owner's details so collection is not confusing.

Arctic Centre - Arktikum

by Fjord87 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Arktikum in the

Arktikum has 3 functions: it's a research center of arctic nature and culture, it's a museum of Lapland and also a museum of arctic nature/culture. For some people the word "museum" sounds dull. Well, Arktikum isn't.

The building itself is something to see! It's a sort of a glass tube, and it's really cool!! All the exhibition areas are underground, but there's a lot of natural light in the hall.

The museum has exhibition of Lapland and arctic areas, and there are many interesting objects, interactive places, things to inspect yourself, buttons to push (nice for kids :P) and other stuff. There's a multimedia theather where they show short movies about reindeer, northern lights and many other things (depends on the season). Arktikum is a very interesting place, and all the exhibitions are in Finnish, English, French, German and if I remember right, also maybe two other languages...

Outside Arktikum there's a garden of arctic plants, which is very interesting in it's bare beauty. Inside the building there's a restaurant (expencive, though) and a souvenir shop. The museum is not a huge museum, so it takes something like between 2 and 5 hours to get familiar with it. I think that's good: you don't get bored and you have enough time to see everything you want to! Arktikum is beautiful to watch from the outside, interesting from the inside.

A Green Tunnel at the Kemijoki River

A green tunnel

Other than the bloody cold weather, the river cruise in Rovaniemi was fine really. From the river Kemijoki we turned into Pudas, a delta area where the passage is sometimes only a few meters wide and the willow trees on the riverbank form a green tunnel. How beautiful it was!

Traditional Lapp Welcome!

Warm Lapp Welcome, Rovaniemi

After checking out the reindeer and traditional Rovaneimi houses, we were welcomed by a Lapp woman who wore her pretty, native colourful costume. She served us hot chocolate and obliged our request for a photo with a beautiful smile. Ah, this warm Lapp Welcome felt good in the cold Finnish Weather. Liz and I were glad that we went on this little tour of the reindeer farm.

• Fjord87's Profile Photo

Jätkänkynttilä bridge - B-E-A-Utiful!!

by Fjord87 Written Oct 27, 2004

J��tk��nkynttil�� by evening.

The Jätkänkynttilä Bridge is a beautiful bridge. It's name means: The Lumberman's Candle. Click here to see a picture of a real lumberman's candle. It was built on 1989 and when you look at it from other Rovaniemi bridges you have a beauriful view there! Specially at night, when all the city light are on and in the top of the two towers of the bridge there's light.

If you wanna go birdwatching, there are tens, hundreds or even thousands of birds under the open area under the bridge during the spring. That open is a perfect place for the birds to rest during their long trips from south.

• Fjord87's Profile Photo

Sports all around the year!!

by Fjord87 Updated Oct 27, 2004

Ounasvaara slopes.

Ounasvaara is one of the fjelds, little mountains surrounding Rovaniemi. But Ounasvaara is special. There's a LOT to do there!

Ounasvaara Skiing Centre is the place you wanna contact in the winter. Ounasvaara has 6 slopes, a 100 meter pipe, 4 lifts, 2 transfer-slopes and 3 ski jumps. There's also a really fun winter sledge track (800 m long). There are many cross-country skiing tracks, so if you're not interested in downhillskiing, snowboarding, blading or telemark-skiing, you could go cross-country skiing while your family or friends are doing something else.

There are many restaurants near the skiing cente. Two of them are in the centre itself: the comfortable and delicious Inkkari Ski Saluuna and the Alpenjager bear/drink bar. On the top of Ounasvaara, just by the slopes there's a delicious but a little more expencive restaurant in Sky Hotel Rovaniemi. That's also a very good choise of accomodation with beautiful views.

Santa Sport Centre it the place where you want to contact during the summertime. If you by the Daypass, you have full acces to the three gyms, sauna and swimminghall and you can get supervised aerobic, spinning, pace and streching lessons. There's also a bowling hall, possibility to go wall-climbing and different kinds of organized sports and massage/spa services. In the winter you can go snowshoeing. Just a kilometer down Ounasvaara there's also a gym, "Kunnon paikka", where you can reserve time for squash, badminton, floorball, pool and normal gym... the address of Kunnon Paikka is: Lähteentie 20, 96400 Rovaniemi.
    Phone: +358 16-314133

In the summer there are well kept sawdusttracks where you can go jogging, walking, enjoying the nature or practice orienteering. There's a birdwatch tower on the top of Ounasvaara and many ballfields all around. There's also a big arena called the Lappi Areena, which has happenings all over the year. It's situated just near Kunnon Paikka and Santa Sport Centre. There are golf links which is open full year.

• Golf
    • Skiing and Boarding
    • Hiking and Walking

Revontulet

by Fjord87 Updated Nov 13, 2004

Revontulet, (c) Hans Sivenius

The Aurora Borealis - The Northen Lights - Revontulet

I don't want to start explaining them more, you just have to see them.

But I want to tell you a story. You saw the last thing in the title of this chapter? Revontulet. That's the Finnish word for the Northern Lights. I'll tell you how they got that name.

The Sámi people in Lapland and also other Finnish people used to tell the story about a big fox livin up north. The fox would run on the chrystal snow and while running, its tail would make sparkles when touching the snow. Those sparkles flew up to the sky and made the Northern Lights. That is why they are called Revontulet, the Fires of the Fox.

• Adventure Travel
    • Photography

Meeting Santa Claus in Person

by bpacker Updated Apr 4, 2011

Santa Claus' Office

Though this sounds cheesy as hell, try to visit Santa Claus if you're in Rovaniemi (Finland). It's an experience that's hard to forget, never mind if you're a child or a big adult like myself!

Now just before I went on a Finnish safari, I went to check out Mr Claus in the morning. I was excited as hell and definitely expecting to meet him in a homey cottage. Well, the cottage was homey alright but contrary to popular belief, Santa Claus was pretty high tech. He had an office, a whole group of administrative staff (not just elves) and some pretty high tech HP equipment to take a digital shot of you when you're sitting with him.Despite all this, it didn't dampen my excitement meeting him just one bit. Neither did it put off a big group of German businessmen who were visibly exicited - they were humming jingle bells and thinking aloud what to say to Santa when they met him! It was a very funny sight since they were clearly in their late 30's, moustashioed, in ties and heavy trench coats..

The official Santa Claus Post Office

Santa's Post Office, Rovaniemi, Finland

Other than visiting the Santa Claus' himself in Rovaniemi, try to pop into the original Santa Claus Post Office. Why, surely you'd want to post mom and pop a letter from the Arctic Circle right? Don't forget to buy a Santa stamp while you're at it;p

Have you always wondered where all those letters addressed to Santa Claus go to ? They arrive here, in the far north, way above the arctic circle, in the official Santa Claus Post Office.Yes, this is the very place that receives letters from children all over the world.
    Most of the letters I've seen were marked "Santa Claus, North Pole, the Arctic Circle" or simply, " Santa, North Pole". They come from all over the world, and surprisingly, nice Mr Santa answers all those letters and files them neatly in a wooden cupboard! So when I ventured a peek into the cupboard, I found out that the biggest stack of letters came from.....SINGAPORE!. Ugh, God only knows what our Singaporean kids ask for!

Santa Claus' Main Post Office is open every day: June, July, August and December 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., other months 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Instant Answers: Rovaniemi

Comments

Rovaniemi Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Rovaniemi things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Rovaniemi sightseeing.