Sirkka Travel Guide

at levi center
    at skitracks near Levi
    by hanspeter_W.
    walking on the lake at easter near levi

Sirkka Highlights

• Pro
    PaleFace_Fields profile photo

PaleFace_Fields says…

Arctic Adventure

• Con
    PaleFace_Fields profile photo

PaleFace_Fields says…

Check you insurance - dangerous activities.

• In a nutshell
    pasi profile photo

pasi says…

Seven truly unique seasons in Sirkka and Levi

Sirkka Things to Do

• by Blazeface Written Nov 25, 2010

The skiing at Levi is awesome!!

The whole mountain is joined together over 1 big run, with lots of little runs branching off.

The front slope definetley sees the most action, but it is my favorite run of them all!

With a kiddie park, a snow park( like a skateboard park, but for ski's), a world cup run + all these little cafes situated half way up slopes= Number 1 skiing destination in northern europe!

+ I would reccomend staying in the hotel as the self- catering cabins are miles away from the slope and it is soul destroying knowing that you have to walk back to your cabin after a day of skiing!
    ++ Book with Inghams!!!!!!! DEY ARE DA BOMB!!

• Hiking and Walking

by PaleFace_Fields Written Sep 22, 2009

To Ski or to Board, that was the question.

I had 10 minutes to decide as I browsed the activities list in the ski bar among the other
    tourists as we all desperately tried to get our week stuffed with fun and adventure before the rep left for the day. I'd already decided on Husky sleigh safari and
    snowmobile excusions but the rest of the week, I wanted to learn either the snow board or the skis. They both were dangerous. Both lots of fun.
    In the end I went for the boarding, as it seemed closer to surfing (which I'd enjoyed previously). We booked three mornings of beginners lessons on the main piste.
    At this piste, there is the hire shop, a gondola and all the main restaurants and bars within a short walk.

Our class consisted of me and the missus and one small child. The Teacher was a finnish guy who couldn't speak much English. The lessons were mainly him demonstrating a move and then pointing at us and saying "You try". He was very cheerful though and was constantly grinning. When I fell over, which was often, he had a good laugh. When I fell while trying to use the T-bar lift and had to scramble on my hands and knees
    out of the way before someone crashed in to me, he almost wet himself. At least he was positive.

The first two days were extremely hard and I couldn't understand why I couldn't turn without tipping. By this time my wife and
    a 6 year old were out-boarding me and I was getting a bit touchy. My backside was numb from hitting the ground hard.
    Then our teacher finally pointed at my board. "Board is wrong, can't turn like this."
    He happily explained. I wasn't smiling back. He owed me two days and a new rear end.

Anyway, by the time we completed the lessons, we could at least traverse and turn enough to get around. We had a go on the beginners piste around the back of the fell, number 8 route. It's a very gentle slope and very scenic. We took a t-bar lift all the way to the top and were rewarded with the most beautful winter view we'd ever seen - pine trees and
    untouched snow drifts all bathed in the purple twighlight that is lapland's midday. At the top, there were very few people and we had a peaceful run down the slope through trees and pockets of twinkling mist, all in tranquil quiet. At least till we reached the bottom
    and were surrounded by squealing children, all of whom were much better then me at snowboarding. I'd recommend the number 8
    to anyone who wants easy and scenic.

• Luxury Travel
    • Adventure Travel

• by pasi Written Oct 13, 2003

Levi is Finland´s number one ski resort and it just keeps getting better. There are twists and curves to suit everyone on the wide fell area: easy slopes for beginners, medium slopes for those who have some experience and the World Cup Black slope which has 52 % precipice at he end for those who really wanto to go to extremes. Number of slopes is 50 and Finlands first and only gondola is in Levi.

• Golf

Sirkka Hotels

Sirkka Restaurants

• Restaurant Arran

by pasi Updated Apr 4, 2011

This restaurant has many-sided ? la Carte menu, e.g. northern delicacies, nice music, open fire together with pleasant service make sure that you will enjoy your dinner here.

Favorite Dish: lamb a la french farmer,
    garlic-bacon potato

by PaleFace_Fields Written Sep 23, 2009

This little bar / shop is hidden away at the basement level of the block, just across the road from the main ski slope. We went there to have a mulled wine or two after a day's snowboarding. It was the best mulled wine I ever tasted. I'm not sure if they replaced the grape with the berry for this stuff, but it was great. I then tried some Artic cloudberry moonshine, a strong spirit that could knock the backside off a concrete moose. Left the place quite happy that night. We also went back to get some bottles of berry wine as souvenirs.

• Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• by pasi Updated May 2, 2004

In the menu you can find traditional Lapland dishes and also dishes seasoned by recent trends. The well-assorted wine list adds to the culinary enjoyment.

After you dinner you can for example enjoy you dessert drink in the bar Octagon by the fireplace

Favorite Dish: My favorit is coeur de fillet a la maison, red wine sauce with creamy garlic potatoes. Very delicious!

• Wine Tasting

Sirkka Nightlife

by PaleFace_Fields Written Sep 17, 2009

We started with a bottle of Lappin Kulta, the local beer, at the sports bar just opposite the main piste (Kulta is a very fine beer indeed) but our main objective was the Hullo Poro, the famous crazy Reindeer bar, as it was Karaoke night.

The bar is a good size, it wasn't full by any means but the place has a definate atmos. We rolled up next to the group of people gathering around the song lists while the massive main screen on the far wall lit up, ready to dispense the lyrics over what appeared to be video of dark Finish forests and icy rivers.

The first few songs were Finish, sung by local finns I'm guessing and the standard was pretty high. These people could actually sing. Where I come from, it's normally some drunk girls on a hen night, bawling - out of tune - Gloria Gaynor's 'I will survive' with all the man-hate they can muster. The finish ballads impressed me. However, I have noticed that most of the actual songs sounded pretty depressing. I didn't understand the lyrics, but it sounded like they were all sad songs. Probably a song about the day their favourite moose died and they couldn't bury it because the ground was frozen.

My plan to follow it with 'barby girl' to liven things up a bit was rejected by my missus. It doesn't go down well anywhere to be honest, but here I was sure that people would start crying. Fortunately, a couple of russian guys stepped up and sung a stirring song called 'Volga' which had a few 'ha ha ha's' in it and a couple of 'Hey's'. I like russian songs. The sort of music you can imagine putting on the cd player in a tank. Anyway, as everyone else could sing very well and I couldn't at all, we eventually slunk away from the Karaoke bar and went off to the Irish pub in town. It's a very lively place and the do sell Leffe beer which is a plus. We met up with a couple of people from the same tour bus. Got drunk, had a snowball fight. Nice.

Dress Code: Thermal

• Beer Tasting
    • Music

Sirkka Transportation

• Kittila Airport

by pasi Updated May 2, 2004

It is easy to travel to Sirkka and Kittila. Sirkka is situated 170 km north of the Arctic Circle. Nearest airport is situated in Kittila, only 15 km from Sirkka and Levi

The nearsest railway station is situated in Kolari, 88 km from Sirkka. Also bus connections are good.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Safari

Sirkka Sports & Outdoors

• einokj's Profile Photo

by einokj Written Apr 12, 2004

Levi is one of the best skiing resorts in Finland. It is really nice and definitely worth visiting. Howver, you should be noticing that the amount of slopes they're claiming (50 or so), is exaggaration. For some reason, the amount of slopes is calculated so that, for example when there is something in the middle of the slope and because of that the slope is calculated as two distinct slopes. So, don't let the amount of slopes distract you. But check it out anyway. See this link as well: see my downhil-skiing tip !

Instant Answers: Sirkka

Comments

Sirkka Travel Guide
Map of Sirkka