Fun things to do in Lappi

• Things to Do
  • Things to Do
    Käsivarrentie road (E8)

Most Viewed Things to Do in Lappi

Kilpisjärvi and Lake Kilpisjarvi

by Tonttuliina Written Feb 28, 2013

It's a small place (town) with a couple of shops and some accommodation options (cottages mainly). Lake Kilpisjärvi is beautiful and offers activities (e.g. boat ride, even helicopter ride). It is at the foot of Mountain Saana. Many hiking routes begin here. You may hike to the top of Saana and see the magnificent views and enjoy the nature.

Käsivarrentie Road (E8)

by Tonttuliina Updated Feb 28, 2013

The Käsivarrentie Road (E8 road) leads you through "the arm of Finland" to Kilpisjarvi Lake and border of Norway. It is a silent road with perhaps one or two cafes (the another one is attached with a camping site and the toilets are in the middle of the camping area) and you confront almost no other cars or people along the road. I wouldn't like to drive it in the night. Enjoy the nature views along the way. It has a certain "roadtrip" feeling with it
    Note: in Muonio, it is called Kilpisjärventie road, then Muoniontie road, and then Käsivarrentie near the Kilpisjärvi Lake.

• National/State Park

Äijäkoski rapids

by Tonttuliina Written Feb 28, 2013

The "Old man's rapids" are located 5 km South of Muonio town, along Torniontie road. Leave the car in the parking area and walk through the woods (100-150 meters) along the narrow path. Not for people with reduced mobility. You may see some paddlers going along the river. This is the border river between Sweden and Finland.

• Photography

Midnight Sun in Lapland

by Tonttuliina Written Feb 28, 2013

Experience sunshine in the middle of night in midsummer (June, July) in Lapland! Stay up the whole night or at least until 2 a.m!
    P.s. Keep your mosquitoe repellent nearby (althought probably it won't help you enough).

• Photography

• tini58de's Profile Photo

Enjoy the Nature

by tini58de Written Sep 28, 2012

I would think that NATURE is what Lapland is all about! Birch trees, lakes, rivers, forests, mushrooms, berries, reindeer, birds - step around the corner and you will find yet something new. We spent 8 days at our cottage and I could have stayed even longer - it was never boring!!!!

• sifrim's Profile Photo

Kellokas Visitor Centre

by sifrim Updated Apr 4, 2011

A good starting point for very well arranged nature trails it's a very good way to get to know the local area, with it's flora and fauna.
    You can also get maps and advice about the trails, also video material about Lapland.
    There is a cafeteria which also serves delicious soups.

• Eco-Tourism

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo

Enontekiö

by lotharlerch Updated Mar 22, 2010

This village is the northern end of the pleasant 2 - 3 days hike from Pallastunturi. The hike ends at the river in the pic opposite the village Enontekiö. When I did the hike there was at the river a possiblity to set a flag well visibly from the village at the other banks of the river and you had not to wait very long for a boat to come across to pick you up and to bring you to a hotel in Enontekiö. But I think that nowadays there are other possibilities to call for a boat to bring you across - think that Finland is the country of NOKIA. I suggest to ask at the Pallastunturi hotel for a phone number.

If you are late it might be better to watch the Midnight Sun and call for a boat in the morning ;-)

• Eco-Tourism
    • National/State Park

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo

Hike Pallastunturi - Enontekiö

by lotharlerch Updated Mar 3, 2010

This is one of the most popular hikes in Finnish Lapland and can be nicely done in 2- 3 days. The whole trail is perfectly signposted and most of it is above the tree boundary over the hills like Taivaskero and Lumikero, exceeding the height of 800 m. Be prepared to take all the food you need for the whole trip with you. You can walk as soon as the snow has disappeared which normally can be expected by the end of June, the first substantial snowfall in autumn can be expected in October. There are only a few short swampy passages in the northern part, the southern half is entirely dry and there are no rivers to wade across. The big river at the northern end which more looks like a lake than a river can only be crossed by a boat which you can call as soon as you arrive at the northern end. Ask for the mobile phone number in the Pallastunturi hotel if you are starting from south. And in Enontekiö just ask at any public place for somebody to bring you over the river to the start.

There are hotels on both ends of the trail, the Pallastunturi hotel at the southern end and the hotels in Enontekiö at the northern end. Four basic lodges are along the trail, they are all open, the beds are nothing else than just a hard wooden surface so bring all with you which you need to sleep on that. And there is a fireplace in each of the lodges. Please provide and prepare more firewood than you consumed under your stay. Quite in the middle of the trail is a lodge which is only accessible with a key which you get at one end and give back at the other. The key opens the door to heaven which is a sauna at the tiny lake nearby.

I did myself this trail in Summer but I think it is really great in winter as well. There is a different signposting for the trail on skis - dont follow these signs in summer!! - you may end in rather difficult swamps which are of course perfectly frozen in winter (be prepared to meet average temperatures well below - 20 degrees in mid winter!)

• Skiing and Boarding
    • Mountain Climbing

Play in the snow

by Cazee Written Nov 22, 2008

It is really nice just to take time out from all the activities and play in the snow. This is especially thrilling if like me you never normally have any snow to play in because we don't seem to get any snow anymore. In Lapland it is especially thick as I found out when I took a short cut and sunk in the snow up to my waist! All the hotels have free sledges to borrow outside of them and the local supermarket sells them for next to nothing. The air is lovely and fresh and you feel all nice and cosy when you back into the hotel. All the hotels rooms seemed to have a sauna attached.

Meet Father Christmas!!

by Cazee Written Nov 22, 2008

This is the highlight of the trip even for a big kid like me. This is obviously the real Father Christmas and not like the other imitations. His beard is definitely real. Trust me the rest are definitely imitations!!

Go on a Reindeer Sleigh Ride

by Cazee Written Nov 22, 2008

This is a fab thing to do as you ride through the snowy forest in a reindeer sleigh covered by a reindeer hide to keep you warm. The daylight was just beginning to fade and it was magical. We then went into the Elves Teepee for a hot berry juice and a shortbread biscuit by the camp fire. The Reindeer Farmer's have a little hut in the forest - they were really nice people.

Skidoos

by smirnofforiginal Written Jun 7, 2007

Our "magical Lapland extravangaza" lacked, for us adults, a whole lot of magic and none of the activities were delivered to us as we had been led to believe. However, out of all of those idsappointed activities the children's skidoo roped to a stake in the ground turned out to be a blessing!

As we waited for our two young men (aged 5 & 6) to have their go, we watched all of the other children, get on, listen to the instructor and then drive round and round, sensibly in the circle, keeping the rope taught, as told to, at all times.

Our eldest got on and zipped round VERY carefully and sensibly. And then it was the turn of our youngest. He saw the fun to be had (and this is where the rope on a stake came in handy) he went MENTAL! The instructor looked terrified and was shouting at him to slow down - to which my son screamed (in rather a possessed, deomic voice) "NEVER!!!!!!" - the rope was slack and he was steering all over the place, instructor jumping out of the way not really sure what to do! Had we been out in the Lapland wilderness as I was so desperate to be..... I don't think I would ever have seen my youngest son again! He would have been off off and away!!!!

Reindeer

by smirnofforiginal Updated Jun 7, 2007

I wish I could be more enthusiastic about our reindeer ride but, as with most things on our supposed "magical Lapland extraveganza", it was a bitter disappointment! To be fair, the disappointment was not the reindeer per say - they are rather cool animals - it was because we were again confined to the compound, the course was a tiny circuit, it was rather impersonal and was not at all hands on.

Our dreams of being pulled by reindeer across white, snowy plains & through thick forests were not realised but would have been more than delightful.... and one day still will be...

Huskies

by smirnofforiginal Updated Jun 7, 2007

Walking through the deep snow, in the dark towards the sound of huskies yapping - fantastic and very atmospheric.

What can I say about huskies? They are beautiful looking pooches, rather irritable and arguementative but above all, in the (wet) snow - they stink of wet dog!!!

A husky ride is great fun. Out of all the activities we did in Lapland, this was both of my sons favourite!

Again, I was filled with disappointment because it was not at all hands-on and the ride was a short circuit.... but taking it at face value - you are on a narrow sled, being whizzed rather rapidly over ice which is naturally slippery and bumpy - of course it is good fun and when the dogs howl and growl and yap and bark and nip at one another - well, it's all the more exciting and excillerating!

Snowmobiles

by smirnofforiginal Updated Jun 7, 2007

I was bitterly disappointed that I wasn't "out there" on my snowmobile but confined to a circuit within a compound. However - the disappointment soon moved aside when I was off!

I was given a helmet, settled onto a snowmobile and asked if I had ever ridden one before - when I could finally understand and hear my reply was simple "no!". The response was shouted at me "this makes you go!"... and off I went! Like an over excited child... fast and slippery slidey! Great, great fun.

The only drawback was that children cannot go on them (obviously) so one of us had a go whilst the other had to wait with the children, and then swap over... Not the worst drawback in the world - unless you are there as a single parent...

Lappi Hotels

2 Hotels
Äkäslompolo Hotels
10 Hotels

Instant Answers: Lappi

Comments

Lappi Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Lappi things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lappi sightseeing.
Map of Lappi