The Dolder Museum (local antiques museum with old weapons).
Description of the museum : Listed as « Museum of France », the museum of the Dolder Tower allows you to discover the fortified rural medieval town of Riquewihr and its evolution from the 12th to the 17th century: its lords (family Wurtemberg), its means of defence (fortifications, covered way, towers, gates of the town, weapons, citizens-soldiers), its occupants and their function (doorkeepers, lookout men, night watchmen).Type of visits : - Free visit
- Self-guided visit with documents in French
Additional assets : From the top of the tower, beautiful view on the town Riquewihr and the plain.Prices : - Adult rate : 4
Duration of the tour : 30 min
Means of payment : - Cheque
- Museum Visits
See the Dolder
We parked at the edge of town and walked four squares to the other end of town where we saw old town tower built in 1291 (and restored in the 15-16C). Throughout the town are numerous 16 and 17C buildings, of which several are eateries and wine stores.
- Family Travel
Drawbridge, the High Gate
Don't forget to walk a few steps under the Dolder and visit this nice part of the wall!. This gate was equipped with a drawbridge, which is still partially visible. Based around the year 1500 this mechanicism is one of Europe's oldest. It was built due to the development of firearms, in order to give more protection to the city. At the same time the building is completed by a deep and wide ditch intended to reassure the population.
No olvides caminar unos pasos más allá del Dolder y visitar esta bonita parte de las murallas. Esta puerta se equipó con un puente levadizo, que sigue estando parcialmente visible. Construído sobre el año 1500 este es uno de los más antiguos de Europa. Se construyó por el desarrollo de las armas de fuego, para reforzar así la protección de la ciudad. Al mismo tiempo el edificio se completó con un profundo y ancho foso para proteger aun más a la población.
Town hall - Ayuntamiento
The City Hall was built in 1809 where the walls used to be, in the site of the former gate. The narrow passage that runs through the present building at its center recalls the function of both defensive and access to the ancient gate. This building is placed at the end of the main street. It's beautiful, but it's a pity it doesn't match with the rest of houses.
El Ayuntamiento se construyó en 1809 donde estaban antes las murallas, en el lugar de la antigua puerta. El estrecho pasadizo que pasa por debajo del actual edificio recuerda a la antigua función tanto defensiva como de acceso que tenía la puerta. El edificio se localiza al final de la calle principal. Es bonito, pero es una pena que no se parezca al resto de las casas.
Rue du Général de Gaulle / Main Street
This is the main Riquewihr street. It goes from the town hall to the Dolder and it has the biggest and most beautiful houses in town. I love such a kind of houses, with timbers and in different colours. This houses dates back to the 15th - 18th centuries
Esta es la principal calle de Riquewihr. que va desde el ayuntamiento hasta el Dolder y que tiene las casas más grandes y bonitas de la ciudad. Me encantan este tipo de casas, con vigas de madera y de diferentes colores. Estas casas datan de los siglos XV al XVIII.
This beautiful 25 metres high tower, called Le Dolder, is 13th century defensive gate, which make up an exceptional architectural whole. It was the city wateway and it was built to impress the enemy with the military aspect of its exterior facade. The tower side facing the city is more pleasant thanks to its timbers and its four floors, which were occupied by the family of caretaker. The home of the caretaker was inside and now it houses three floors of the local museum of art and folk tradition as well as a collection of arms and various tools and objects related directly to the wine industry.
Esta bonita torre de 25 metros, llama el Dolder, es una puerta defensiva del siglo XIII, que constituye una magnífica estructura arquitectónica en su conjunto. Fue la puerta de entrada a la ciudad y se construyó para impresionar al enemigo, con su aspecto militar en la fachada exterior. En cambio, la parte que da a la ciudad es más amable gracias a la estructura de madera y sus cuatro plantas, que eran ocupadas por la familia del guarda. La casa de este guarda estaba aquí, pero ahora estas estancias acojen el museo local de arte y costumbres, así como una colección de armas y varios objetos relacionados con la industria del vino.
The Sinne Fountain - Fuente Sinne
Located at the foot of Dolder, the fountain set up in the middle of the 16th century in its present form. It was used to clean the barrels and other containers used by vintners. The central column is surmounted by a carved heraldic lion wearing, right, the image of the Lords of Horbourg (owners of the city until 1324) and, on the left, the image of Riquewihr (which incorporates the star of Horbourg and three of elk antlers, emblem of Wurttemberg, new lords of the city).
The Wurtemberg Castle - Castillo Wurtemberg
In 1324 the Count of Wurttemberg Ulrich bought the lordship of Riquewihr, with a small castle than his successors will reform thereafter. The building owned to the family up to the French Revolution, becoming a public building, housing the school and, much later, its current use: the Alsacian Communication Museum.
The tower of Thieves - Torre de los ladrones
If you turn right from the Dolder you'll see the Tower of Thieves, a pentagonal-shaped building with 18 meters. Within the first floor is the torture chamber with authentic instruments of torture. The residents asked to the Duke in 1484 to prison in this tower just foreigners.
Anchor of the Jews - Calle de los Judíos
As usual, members of the small Jewish community does not mixed with the rest of the population. In Riquewihr they lived in an area closed for the night, which is the current Anchor of the Jews. They obteined even their own water from a nearby pump!
The famous Hansi was born on February 23, 1873, in Colmar, that means in Alsace, but under German occupation.
In order to be able to attend the "Ecole des Beaux Arts " of Lyon, he turns to a career as draughtsman.
At the same time, he continues to improve his technique of painting and practises etching and the watercolour. At this time, the first picture postcards are put on the market in Austria and Germany before appearing in France.
Numerous cards signed Hansi and representing charming Alsatian children in enchanting and bucolic settings are published by the editor " La Cigogne ". Due to this graphic means of expression, he becomes one of the symbols of the Alsatian resistance to Germany. His satirical vein brought him several condemnations in front of the German courts.
On June 10, 1951, Jean Jacques Waltz dies at the age of 78, after three years of disease, in Colmar . The artist leaves with his country an immense cultural and artistic treasure.
Fertile creator, he produced numerous motives for dishes, for stained glass, for dolls, for posters, for commercial labels, for ex--libris, for menus, for programs, for books and about 400 picture postcards.
- Arts and Culture
Strolling around in a medieval village
Just enjoy this beautiful village, wandering around trough narrow streets... with their bell-tower 'Dolder' and the 'Tour Haute', their magnificent gardens 'Les Cours des Bergers' and offcourse the vineyards.
Sounds promising? It is... so be prepared for lots and lots of tourist during summer.
Main entrance to the city - Dolder Great Door.
It's a belfry tower an an historic monument. Next to the tower you'll find the Sinnbrunnen fountain (1560). On both sides of the tower, original outer ramparts from 1291...
- Historical Travel
East End of Town
At the east end of town is the Hotel de Ville. Very near it is the Castle that has a tower staircase and next to it is the Communications Museum.
- Family Travel
Place des Aristocrates
I think that this was the VIP area of the city and you can enjoy the tower of Carpe diem
( what me worry !!! of the old aristocrats )