The Gothic church of the Franciscan convent was built from the 13th through the 15th. In 1878, when Alsace was under German rule, it was turned into a Protestant temple and on this occasion, the nave was put down and only the choir was kept.
The organ is the sixth that was installed in Sainte Foy Church ! All previous organs have been sold or have disappeared in an unknown way. The present one was built in 1892 by Martin Rinckenbach. It was submitted to several alterations and presently is not working.
Sainte Foy Romanesque church has the very unusual feature to have three bell towers. The single one was shown in the previous tip while this one shows the twin clock towers that top the main entrance. Though built in the second half of the 12th, these towers underwent major changes between 188 and 1895. The rhomboidal roofs that cover them date from this period.
Église Sainte-Foy (Sainte Foy Romanesque church) was built in red sandstone and granite from the Vosges mountains by the Benedictine monks from the Abbey of Conques, in the Rouergues (south east of France) in the second half of the 12th. The single clock tower shown here stands on top of the transept.
The synagogue stands where in 1836 were traditional community bath. It was designed in a Romano-byzantine style by Jean-Jacques Alexandre Stamm and built in 1890 with polychromatic bricks and sans stone. It was badly damaged in 1940. Between 1950 and 1960, it was restored by Lucien Cromback and Edmond Picard .
Saint-Georges Gothic church has 5 portals. This one stands on the western side of the nave. It was built in 1220-1230. The tympanum is typically Romanesque and was carved by Sichler. It shows the meal at Simon the Pharesee’s.
The portal shown on this photo was built in 1320. The carvings were broken during the Revolution and replaced in 1847 by Sichler. It is framed by the statues of Saint Michael, of Saint George, of the resurrection of the son of the widow, of the Samaritan woman at the well, of the denarius of Cesar, the multiplication of breads, Jesus curing children.
Saint-Georges Gothic church stands where was the chapel where Charlemagne (Charles the Great) spent Christmas in 775 AD. It has Romanesque foundations. The Baroque tower, built in the 14th and badly damaged during WWII was finished fully repaired in 1975.
The roof of Saint-Georges Gothic church is covered with varnished tiles of various colors. They are arranged to make a geometrical design with diamond shapes of alternate colors: pale pink framed by red, framed itself with green with a black border and finally a red frame.
The first photo shows an ancient house with two levels of attic window, topped by a stork nest. In the background Saint-Georges Gothic church shows.
The second photo was shot with tele lens and shows better the stork nest. It is about 1 meter thick and can weight as much as 400 kg. Storks are now helped by engineers that fit “nest holders” to avoid accidents!
Hôtel Fels stands in Rue Sainte-Barbe. It is a mansion with an amazing portal built in an undefined style. It was in the second part of the 18th century the home of Prêteur Royal, an official representative of the King. There is not much more remaining than the portal from the ancient wealth of the mansion.
The Ancienne Commanderie (old Commandery) was from the end of the 16th to the 18th home for the Prior of the Community of the monks-knights of the Saint Jean Order. The magnificent tower with oblique windows contains an helicoidal staircase. It now hosts the Tourist Office.
"Hôtel d’Ebersmunster" is not a hotel but what might be named a mansion or a palace. It was built as the city home of the prelates from the nearby Ebersmunster Abbey. The central tower hosts an helicoidal staircase. The attic was designed to store the tithe collected by the Abbey. It is now the seat of the cultural offices of the city of Sélestat.
The Ancien arsenal Sainte-Barbe (former Sainte-Barbe arsenal) Stands on Place de la Victoire (Victory Square). It has a sumptuous gable with several levels of turrets. On top stands a stork nest that was empty when I took the photo.
The second photo shows it from behind, which shows better the three levels of attic windows in the roof.
In old town Sélestat there are two lovely old churches. The oldest is Eglise Ste. Foy and the "younger" church is Eglise St. Georges. Both are worth a visit.
In case you didn't know, Sélestat has the first recorded mention of the Christmas tree in Dec. 21, 1521 so I guess that makes it the home of the Christmas tree.
There is also a bread museum worth a visit.