It seems odd to have a confessional in a Lutheran church, buth this piece of furniture is older than the church itself and originates from the time, when the old church was the only church here and used by both congregations, Lutheran AND Catholic for their services. It is said that Friederike and Goethe where sitting together in this hidden place...more
The new church of 1911/12 is built asymmetrical with a gallery on the northern wall where people can sit as well. The paintings along the gallery are done by artists and students of professor Reinhardt from Munich.When entering the church the aisle leads to the choir with a beautifully stained window in its back wall. On the south wall are three...more
The town hall actually is a combined town hall and school. It is situated on place de la Mairie beside the Catholic church. The school area stretches out on the back side. It was built in 1954. A large wall painting on the front side displays Sessenheim at the time when Goethe came to visit it in 1770 (as the artist imagines it). On the left you...more
This barn stands in the yard of the parish house (todays Lutheran parish. At the time when Goethe came to Sessenheim in 1770 it was the house of the family Brion, the minister of the church.It is said the Goethe helped in the house, as in October 1770 when he helped to store corn in the barn. Therefore the barn is called "Goethe barn". It can be...more
You would like to explore Sessenheim "in the footsteps of Goethe and Friederike Brion"?The hiking association Club Vosgien has marked a route (see other picture). It is marked by a red circle and takes about 90 minutes for the 6 km. It starts at the town's centre (No. 1) with the Lutheran church, parish priest's house and the Goethe Memorial, then...more
The Gothe-Museum is a small private collection and part of the restaurant "Au Boeuf" giving you the once in a time chance of combining German and Alsatian culture with French cuisine.As other people collect stamps the family has started decades ago to collect bits and pieces with a connection to Goethe.The benches in the restaurant are originally...more
This tumulus consists of very old graves from prehistoric Celtic or Merovingian times. This place is mentioned by Goethe in his autobiography "Dichtung und Wahrheit" ("Poetry and Truth") as the goal of numerous walks together with his love Friederike Brion during his stays in Sessenheim in the years 1770/71.In 1880 the first arbour was erected in...more
The glass windows shown here depict female saints and are located on the north-west wall of the church, starting from the choir in the following order#5: Sta. Teresia and Sta. Johanna d'Arc#6: Sta. Ricardis and Sta. Odilia#7: Sta. Monica and Sta. Maria Magdalena#8: Sta. Caecilia and Sta. Barbaramore
The glass windows shown here depict male saints and are located on the south-east wall of the church, starting from the choir in the following order#1: St. Arbogastus and St. Florentius#2: St. Aloisius and St. Joannes Bosco#3: St. Ludovicus and St. Leo IX.#4: St. Antonius and St. J.B.Vianneymore
The organ was installed by Martin and Joseph RINCKENBACH in 1912 the same year the church was built. Originally it had 14 registers. It is supposed that the 15th register was added in 1925 when the Rinckenbach brothers repaired the organ. In the years 1930-40s the organ builder's house ROETHINGER is mentioned to have looked after the organ,...more
The church built in 1912 consists of a simple nave with a flat wooden ceiling.It has a splendid interior including a main altar and the two side altars, stained glass windows on both sides and in the choir, a large organ, a wooden chancel, a golden cross and statues of Maria Magdalena (almost all described separately).more
The front room of the Goethe Memorial building in Rue Albert Fuchs No. 6 is dedicated to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832). He was a student in Strasbourg from April 1770 to August 1771. During this time he visited many Alsatian towns together with his friend Friedrich Leopold Weyland and for the first time in August 1770 also Sessenheim where...more
In the original building a André SILBERMANN organ from 1719 was installed. After repairs and modifications by Georg HLADKY in 1793 and STIEHR in 1826 the organ was dismantled in 1909 (to give space for the enlargement of the church) and brought to Strasbourg where it was installed in the Palais des Rohan.In 1911 Eberhard Friedrich WALCKER installed...more
Until 1912 the Lutheran and Catholic congregation used a common church building for their services. It was standing on the site of todays Lutheran church. But in 1912 two new church buildings where erected, a larger one for the Lutheran that replaced the old building.On the site beside the town hall a separate church for Catholic parish was...more
The house No. 6 in Rue Albert Fuchs from 1820 was used by guardsmen during the time of Napoleon. It has a timber porch typical for the imperial time.In 1961 professor Albert Fuchs founded the Goethe Memorial to commemorate the connection of the young Goethe with Sessenheim, who fell in love with the pastor's daughter Friederike Brion in 1770/71 and...more
The house with the No. 4 in Rue Albert Fuchs is a timber frame house with infills plastered in a bright yellow colour. It stands right beside the Goethe memorial.It was built in 1765 by the family Binder Schoeplin as can be read nicely written on one of the corner timber posts (see pictures).more
The artist Claude Braun has done a set of eight paintings "The Path of Reconciliation" that are exhibited in eight different churches in the South Palatinate of Germany and the North Alsace of France.No. 7 is placed here in the Lutheran church in Sessenheim.The Path of ReconciliationNo. 1 in Bad Bergzabern "We are all children of God" (1 Moses...more
On the south side of the nave three large windows with stained glass depict three stations of historical importance for the reformed Lutheran church: the Old Testament, the New Testament and the Reformation. On the window about the reformation Luther can be seen standing at the Diet of Worms in 1521 defending his writings. His assumed closing words...more
The Lutheran church was built in 1911/12 by the architect Jos. Müller. It is an extension of the old church building of which only the spire and choir (today the sacristy) remain.At the time when Goethe visited Sessenheim, it was the only church and used by both congregations, the Lutheran and Catholic who held services in the sanctuary. The...more
Sessenheim is connected by train with Lauterbourg to the north and Strasbourg to the south and served by approximately one connection per hour during daytime in each direction. The train ride takes about 30 minutes to either Lauterbourg or Strasbourg.
The train station of Sessenheim is dominated by a building that is no longer in use, or better said there is no tenant at the moment as the former waiting hall is closed and the former station's clerk had become redundant.
You can buy tickets at a vending machine.
Rue de la Gare
From the station you can walk to the town centre in 5-10 minutes.