Strasbourg Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Strasbourg

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Strasbourg Pass

by Dabs Updated Mar 21, 2015

Favorite thing: Although the pass is a 3 day pass, even daytrippers can take advantage of the savings with the Strasbourg card. We bought ours at the tourist information center for 14.90€ and used it for admission to the towers of the cathedral (5€), the daily showing of the astronomical clock (2€), the one hour 10 minute boat ride on the Ill River (9.20€) and a museum of our choice which was the decorative arts museum at Palace Rohan (5€).

You still need to get a timed ticket for the boat trip but you do not need a ticket for the clock, cathedral or museums. I didn't see the small print on the boat ticket but looking at it now it says you can't do the boat between 2 and 4pm, fortunately we got there at 1:45pm

What a beautiful city!

by brendareed Written Nov 3, 2014

Favorite thing: One of my favorite parts of Strasbourg was simply walking around and looking at the architecture. From the Petite France to the fine homes along the canals, this is a beautiful city! We had a beautiful sunny day with blue skies (my favorite) so I enjoyed simply walking around and taking photos. On Sunday morning of our weekend, we decided to go for a long walk along the canals near the European Parliament, which was beautiful as well with lots of swans, boats, and plants. A stop at the Parc de la Citadelle did not disappoint us either and we could easily see why this was a favorite spot for locals.

When you come to Strasbourg, don’t get so caught up in checking the boxes of touristy things to not enjoy the city and its beauty. Just take time to wander!

• Hiking and Walking

• brendareed's Profile Photo

Getting the good shots in Strasbourg

by brendareed Written Nov 3, 2014

Favorite thing: Strasbourg is a city that is full of people – or it seems that way because there is such a small square in front of the cathedral and the pedestrian zone seems crowded wherever you go. As you head out away from the city center, you see less people and the streets open up. However, for getting people photos, you want to be in that city center. There is so much action going on and so much to capture.

For those that want some nice photos of the area, here are a couple places that I found to be wonderful photo opportunities:

~At the top of the Cathedral – it costs €5 to climb to the top, but if you are looking for aerial photos looking down on the city, this is the place to do it. And you can get some wonderful close ups of the cathedral architecture and statues while you are up there.

~To capture the Ponte Couverts, walk around to the Vauban Barrage. The Barrage was closed for renovations when I was there, so I just got as close to it as possible on the side. I was able to get some great photos and a wonderful panoramic from this angle. When the Barrage is open, you can go to the overlook at the top, which seems to be a spectacular location.

~There is a view of Petite France along the canal just down from the Ponte Saint-Martin – look for the canal lock. From that vantage point, the view across the water and looking past the lock and into the half-timbered Petite France is amazing. When we were there (in the summer) the flower boxes were in full bloom on all the buildings and the bridges. Stunning!

~For a great photo of the European Parliament building, head to where the waters of the L’Ill are at a crossroads, in the center of the European buildings. I found a great ramp for boats that I was able to walk onto to get out from under the trees. Lots of activity in this area with birds and water sports!

~At the Parc de la Citadelle you can get some wonderful pastoral shots and photos of waterfowl, turtles, and other birds. A particularly lovely place in the early morning hours!

If you aren’t able to get the photos you want, don’t worry too much about it. Simply relax and enjoy the city of Strasbourg! You’ll take back memories if not photos

Bakeries

by brendareed Written Nov 3, 2014

Favorite thing: The French know how to bake! And whenever I am in France I frequently visit the bakeries to sample the delights – whether éclairs, croissants, pain au chocolate, or the ever-so-humble yet very delicious baguette. Strasbourg has a number of bakeries – they are not hard to find. We sampled from a couple of them and found them to be all basically delicious, but perhaps I am biased.

One of my favorite lunches when in France is a simple jambon et fromage baguette (ham and cheese sandwich). It is not only inexpensive, but it is delicious. A baguette and a drink is all I need to keep me going – and when I am touring, I don’t want to waste precious time sitting in a restaurant when I could be seeing things.

I recommend the bakeries. Walk into one and make a selection. Simply tell the clerk behind the counter what you want – if you don’t speak the language, simply smile and point to what you want using sign language if needed to say how many (although it is always a good idea to learn a few French words to help you along).

Swans in Strasbourg

by brendareed Written Nov 3, 2014

Favorite thing: I like swans…my camera seems drawn to them. I believe they are one of the most graceful and beautiful creatures on this planet. And Strasbourg seems to like swans as much as I do…or is it that the swans like Strasbourg?

No matter – Strasbourg has lots of swans, gracefully gliding past the European Parliament building, resting dreamily near the houseboats on the L’Ill, or taking care of their young in the pond at the Parc de la Citadelle.

This was one of my favorite things about Strasbourg – the beauty of the swan. The mascot of the region is a stork and, while we saw a number of storks flying or sitting atop roofs, I prefer the majestic swan in the water. Go to Strasbourg and compare them for yourself…I think you will agree!

• gwened's Profile Photo

walk Strasbourg

by gwened Written Apr 20, 2014

Favorite thing: a wonderful town to walk history and great architecture in every block in the center and over tothe petite France.

I dug up these photos of my passing by here and figure to share with VT.
    the ecluse or levy at the petite France, narrow and quaint , curiosity for all visitors

Place Saint Etienne, is at the Grande Île, and was built in the 11C Under the name of rue de la Pierre Large, it takes the current name in 1400

rue du bain aux plantes, is in the Petite France district . This street is, it, seems name after the baths which were there and which were only reserved for women. It is bordered by houses once occupied by tanners and their roofs in stairs were thus built granaries-kilns. Today, the rue du bain aux plantes is renowned thanks to its Alsatian houses with typical facades and so specific architecture of the region.

Fondest memory: all walk the petite France, go ahead walk it, you will be back any chance you have too;

levy or ��cluse of the Petite France place Saint Etienne rue du bain aux plantes
    • Architecture

• antistar's Profile Photo

When to Visit

by antistar Written Sep 28, 2013

Favorite thing: Strasbourg's low season is in August, and unlike some other parts of France the weather here can be very pleasant at that time of the year. The peak season starts in September, perhaps the city's most pleasant month, and carries on through Christmas - a really busy period when hotel prices can shoot up due to the Christmas markets.

The absolute worst time to visit is when the European Parliament is in session. This is when hotel rates go sky high. It is definitely worth looking at their plenary agenda to avoid these weeks.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

TOURIST OFFICE

by balhannah Written Jun 17, 2013

Favorite thing: Before visiting the Cathedral, we went to Information Office in Cathedral Place. What I wanted to buy, was the Strasbourg pass. I had worked out what we wanted to see and do, and it was good value to buy one.
    Lucky for me, the lady behind the counter told me the Little Petit Train wasn't operating, so this made a difference to the value of the Pass. It wasn't worth buying then, so we just paid as we went.
    Always do the sums before buying these passes, as some are good value, others aren't!

Cost.....14,90 € per adult and only 7,45 € for juniors for 3 days.

• gwened's Profile Photo

drive and do laundry in the city-Strasbourg

by gwened Written Apr 14, 2012

Favorite thing: no restriction on driving; just go to AAA and get a IDP that translates your DL into several languages in case police stop you ,give the IDP not your original license.
    rentals car broker dealing with all majors but better prices
    www.autoeurope.com
    www.kemwel.com

laundromat in Strasbourg here is one not too far, go out of train station gare and turn right

Hope it helps

Fondest memory: petite France area, and the Cathedral.Plus drinking good white Alsacien wines.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

International calls on the cheap

by Maryimelda Updated Apr 1, 2010

Favorite thing: It was here in Strasbourg that I first discovered cheap international calls from Internet Cafes.
    I made a call to Australia in which I spoke for between ten and fifteen minutes for 89 eurocents. There is no need to use your mobile phone when these places are around. This particular one was in an Internet Cafe across the road from the Victoria Hotel where I was staying. I also found one in Maastricht in Holland, where the pricing was very similar. I'm told that many major tourist destinations in Europe have them, so it's a good idea to seek them out when you first arrive.

rue du Maire Kuss, Strasbourg

Yellow awning across the street.
    • Women's Travel

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Office de Tourisme

by ATXtraveler Updated Feb 21, 2008

Favorite thing: When entering Strasbourg by train, you may reach the station before it is truly open for business. As we arrived just prior to 9am, most of the offices appeared closed. This was the case with the train station’s office of tourism, which led us on a small wild goose chase, as we could see many large cathedrals in the distance, but did not know which one to go to first. There is another Office de Tourisme in town, and it is located adjacent to the main Cathedral. If you reach the station before it opens, simply walk down Rue du Maire-Kuss across the River L’ill, down Rue du 22 Nobembre through Place Kleber, take a right on Rue des Grandes Arcades, and left on Rue des Serruriers. You will see the information station next to the Cathedral.

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

River L'Ill

by ATXtraveler Written Feb 21, 2008

Favorite thing: This is the main river in and around Strasbourg, although we are still unclear whether or not it is just a tributary for the Rhine River. According to the maps, they appear to come together on the north east side of Strasbourg. Either way, this wonderful little river gives Strasbourg a great feel, as it surrounds the historic city center, and makes for a great chance to take a river cruise.

River L'ill
    • Luxury Travel

• fabrice's Profile Photo

visit 'la petite france';it is...

by fabrice Updated Dec 3, 2007

Favorite thing: visit 'la petite france';it is an ancien part of the town,for pedestrians;very typical

Fondest memory: my home:le STIFT,which is the students' university residence for protestant theology;quai saint thomas,it is a marvellous building .We were very naughty there,I remember that we once put a little bomb in the central bell...

• JLBG's Profile Photo

Place de la République, Christmas tramway

by JLBG Written Dec 21, 2006

Favorite thing: For Christmas, during the whole month of December, some of the tramways (not all the trains) on line C had been decorated with holly and illuminated fir tree stickers that made them look almost like a fancy train bringing toys to the children!

Place de la R��publique, Christmas tramway Place de la R��publique, Christmas tramway Place de la R��publique, Christmas tramway
    • Trains

• JLBG's Profile Photo

Place de la République, Palais du Rhin, details

by JLBG Written Dec 21, 2006

Favorite thing: The Palace was rebuilt identical after the 1944 bombings. It is now called the Palais du Rhin (Rhine Palace) and hosts several city or offices belonging to the département du Bas-Rhin. The photos show various details of the sculptures of the building.

Place de la R��publique, Palais du Rhin, details Place de la R��publique, Palais du Rhin, details Place de la R��publique, Palais du Rhin, details Place de la R��publique, Palais du Rhin, details Place de la R��publique, Palais du Rhin, details
    • Architecture

Instant Answers: Strasbourg

Comments

Strasbourg Favorites

Reviews and photos of Strasbourg favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Strasbourg sightseeing.