Strasbourg Restaurants

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Somer Sarl Restaurant: Excellent Meal

by Mikebb Updated Apr 8, 2014

Our Main Meals

Our last night in Strasbourg we found a restaurant a few blocks back from our hotel.

We wanted something with a little spice and certainly enjoyed our meal. In fact the best meal we had during our 4 nights in Strasbourg.

The business card - I think the address is for another takeaway they have nearby. Phone for a reservation.

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

• antistar's Profile Photo

Bistro et Chocolat: It's nothing like vegetarian food

by antistar Written Oct 5, 2013

Bistro et Chocolat, Strasbourg

Gourmet vegetarian food at a decent price.

Eating vegetarian food in France isn't easy, and I've rarely enjoyed the cuisine here for which the country is so famous. Sometimes you find something special, and this is one such place. The food is experimental without being bizarre. It's gourmet but with a focus on taste. The presentation is amazing but the price is reasonable. The whole experience is the result of a love of food, especially vegetarian food. You'll probably never eat anything like it again.

The twist is hinted at in the name - chocolate and sweet things in general. The savoury dishes often have a hint of dessert to them, like waffles toasted in red pesto and smothered in cream cheese to look just like something sweet. The desserts maintain the theme, with offerings like chocolate soup.

The prices are very reasonable for the quality - and if the dishes look a little small they end up being the perfect amount, leaving just enough room for the dessert that you must try. But if you want even better value they have daily specials.

The only downside to the place is that it is very popular - sometimes with queues for a table in the small interior. On warmer days you can eat outside, but even if you can get a table the service can be slow as there seems to be only one person working the small interior.

• antistar's Profile Photo

L'Ancienne Douane: Traditional Food in a Traditional Building

by antistar Written Oct 2, 2013

L'Ancienne Douane, Strasbourg

It's all a bit touristy but you have to at least once eat in one of the old houses of Strasbourg and sample the cuisine of Alsace. L'Ancienne Douane is renowned for being ancient, hence the name, dating back to 1358. It also must hold the record for feeding the most people at the same time, with around 600 seats. The food is decent, the service acceptable, and the environment is what you expect: old world Strasbourg.

It's a limited lunch menu until 7pm when the extensive a la carte menu becomes available.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Maison Kammerzell: Alsatian cuisine on the square

by Dabs Updated Sep 12, 2013

Choucroute Jambonneau

Restaurants on the main square in touristy cities can easily cash in on their location and not offer quality food, but Maison Kammerzell delivers the goods, albeit at a slightly inflated price to account for the location. Our day in Strasbourg was a beautiful sunny day so we opted to eat outside, the only problem here were the bees that were attracted to my kriek

Favorite Dish: There were two dishes I heard about that people said you had to order in Strasbourg, one of which was Choucrote which is a variety of meats and sauerkraut. I ordered the Choucroute Jambonneau, knuckle of ham and bacon with sauerkraut, David ordered Choucroute Strasbourgeoise, 8 types of meat with sauerkraut. The portion size on both was huge, I couldn't even make it through the meat much less the sauerkraut.

The other famous Alsatian dish is flammekueche, also known as tarte flambé. Being rather pizza like I would have liked to try it but there was no way after this huge lunch.

• bonio's Profile Photo

Kohler Rehm: Kohler Rehm

by bonio Written Aug 31, 2013

Restaurant with it's own brewery attached, sure to get a visit from us.
    In the city centre and pretty much a great attraction for visitors.
    Food and beer are both acceptable if a little overpriced, location I guess.
    Not a bad place to visit.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

RISS PATISSIER & CHOCOLATIER: DON'T MISS AFTERNOON TEA HERE!

by balhannah Updated Jun 18, 2013

Riss

It was the middle of the afternoon and our legs were so tired! Time for a coffee, but where? We spotted "Riss!" Soon we were across the road looking in the window at the very attractive selection of cakes, this was good enough to make us venture inside.
    Inside, the selection was huge, hard for us to make our minds up, but we did and put in our order for a coffee too. We were given a number and told to make our way upstairs and our afternoon tea would be brought to us.
    Upstairs in this old building was an open centre piece which had railing surrounding it. From here, I could look down onto the ground floor of the shop.
    Our afternoon tea was very nice! After spending a while here, it was time to go downstairs to pay our bill and then do more exploring of Strasbourg.
    Would I return - Most definitely!

• Seniors

• balhannah's Profile Photo

LA TABLE D'EMILIE: GOOD FOOD, SERVICE & PRICE!

by balhannah Written Jun 17, 2013

My Flambee

Where to eat, the problem was choosing from the many Restaurants in Strasbourg. In the end, we decided upon this Restaurant, as I wanted to try the Flambee. We were welcomed by an Asian waiter who was nice and friendly, who told us we could sit either indoors or outside, we chose inside. We were the only ones there, but before we left, the Restaurant was full. Our meal arrived, and I must say, both of us enjoyed it. To us, it was like a Pizza.
    Flambee is an Alsatian dish composed of bread dough rolled out very thin, mine was covered with cheese and ham. It's cooked in a wood fired oven.
    Legend says that the "creators" of this dish were Alemannic-speaking farmers from Alsace.
    We found it to be a cheap, filling meal.

COMFORT HOTEL OUEST STRASBOURG: EXCELLENT MEALS

by balhannah Written Jun 16, 2013

My Omelette

We were staying at the Hotel Ouest, so decided to give the Hotel Restaurant a try. When we entered, we noticed it was busy, no problem though, the waiter soon found a table for 2 for us. The Restaurant was decked out lovely!
    Our order was quickly taken, and it wasn't long before the meal was delivered to our table. I had ordered an Omelette as I wasn't that hungry. What a shock I had! [see photo]. The Omelette was huge, and it was accompanied by chips and salad making it a huge meal, one I had no chance of finishing. I felt really embarrassed as the meal was excellent. Cost was 9.8 euros
    My husband had a Pork Knuckle which the Restaurant specializes in, this came with mashed potato. His knuckle was huge, tender and very nice. Cost 13.8 euros.

We both have no hesitation in recommending this Restaurant

• Hippierose89's Profile Photo

La Corde à Linge: a piece of alsatian cuisine paradise

by Hippierose89 Updated Sep 27, 2011

La Corde à Linge is situated in the Petite France. I will start by saying that the theme and the ambience of the restaurant are delightful. Really simple, rustic, black and white deco, washed by notes of jazz music and accompanied by the smiles of the helpful waiters you will find there. I lived in Strasbourg as a student and the restaurant is still really affordable for a simple yet really sophisticated meal. The dishes respect the alsatian tradition but are still innovative and fit every kind of taste and nutritional orientation. I would suggest trying the Finette and the Taffetas and, if its winter, have the hot chocolat as a dessert. If it's summer, visit the restaurant around sunfall and have a cafe viennois with homemade chantilly while idly watching the world go by. La Corde à Linge is an adorable restaurant, with efficient service and awesome cuisine. I totally reccomend it.

Favorite Dish: The Finette, the Taffetas, the Kelsch. Don't forget the dessertsa fresh mousse au chocolat and the kougelhopf.

• didier06's Profile Photo

Maison KAMMERZELL: good food and beautiful scenery

by didier06 Updated Apr 4, 2011

maison kammerzell

You can't miss this restaurant just near the cathédral. This médiéval house was build in the XV century. It's better to have réservation.

The meal was very good in particular the "choucroute aux poissons" a spéciality of the restaurant.

• Architecture

• Ken-out-of-Bath's Profile Photo

Restaurant PIERRE BOIS ET FEU: Don't Choose

by Ken-out-of-Bath Updated Apr 4, 2011

There is a story of a young photographer who was sent for his first assignment; the town mayor opening the new town hall.

When he returned to the newspaper offices, his boss asked, "Where is the photo?"

The young snapper replied, "I couldn't get one! The mayor fell down the steps right in front of me and broke his leg so he didn't open the new town hall!"

I am that photographer :-(

We spent a long time in Strasbourg trying to find the best place to eat, away from the tourist traps. This place was perfect.

We were given the menus and we couldn't choose so I asked the waiter if the chef could please choose two starters, two main courses and to supply the wine to accompany the food.

It was the best choice of the day.

Favorite Dish: Alex was given Foie Gras and I was given Prawns - so we swapped them!

The foie gras was served on finely chopped white wine jelly (at the risk of running out of descriptive words) it was amazing!

The large, juicy Prawns were cooked to perfection.

I had a steak for a main course which came to my table after being partly cooked and it was then IRONED (!) using an old fashioned iron that had been heated up over a flame. Wonderful!

Alex had a medley of fish which looked and tasted fantastic.

Alex had a chocolate pudding while I had peaches baked with cheese! It shouldn't have tasted so good!

At every stage the wine supplied was exactly right to complement the food.

But no photos :-(

• sunlovey's Profile Photo

Brasserie Au Dauphin: Cozy artsy atmosphere serving up comfort food

by sunlovey Updated Apr 4, 2011

Me checking out the menu @ Au Dauphin

What cool, cozy, vibrant, even romantic atmosphere this place had...

The menu is in French & German and the food is a melange of French & German cuisine...

I absolutely loved the decor... tons of bright still lifes captured in dramatic golden frames... oh and the entrance, a beautiful lighted canopy of vines.

I found the prices totally reasonable. This place might of been a bit on the touristy side but I really liked it nonetheless.

Favorite Dish: I had a delicious vegetarian dish of mushrooms and spaetzle in a cognac butter sauce here, and of course, wine!

• cheekymarieh's Profile Photo

Restaurant Pere Benoit: Amazing Food

by cheekymarieh Updated Apr 4, 2011

The restaurant has a rustic feel to it and is housed in part of the 18th century farm building. It seems to be exceptionally popular with the local French people and it isn't hard to understand why. The menu offers some fantastic dishes and wines - mostly specialities of the region.

Favorite Dish: Main course was monk fish and prawns in a delicious seasonal sauce
    The meal looked as if it was a picture upon the plate.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Le gruber: Alsacian restaurant, II

by call_me_rhia Updated Apr 4, 2011

Le Gruber

It's another typical alsacian restaurant, small, quiet, in an alsacian typical house, and with a wooden interior. It's a very intimate place - perfect for a simple romantic dinner

Favorite Dish: traditional onion pie and black forrest cake. To eat with a glass of riesling, of course.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Au vieux strasbourg: Alsacian restaurant, I

by call_me_rhia Updated Apr 4, 2011

extract from the menu

This typical restaurant is a few minutes walk from the cathedral, in one of the side lanes near the Marché aux Cochons de Lait. It's tiny and cosy, with a traditional wooden interior - and friendly (and rushed9 staff.

Favorite Dish: Tarte Flambée (Flammekuche)- which is a sort of very thin pizza-like dish without the tomato sauce, cheese, onions, sour-cream (and even speck sometimes).

Instant Answers: Strasbourg

Comments

Strasbourg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Strasbourg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Strasbourg sightseeing.