Strasbourg Restaurants

Nicely Presented
    Business Card - Phone First

Most Recent Restaurants in Strasbourg

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Bistro Romain: If Carpaccio is your thing......

by Maryimelda Updated Feb 11, 2011

Bistro Romain

The restaurant is very nicely presented with your choice of indoor or outdoor dining. Service was friendly and efficient. Food was exactly what I asked for and exactly what I expected. What can I say? It was a good restaurant, I had no complaints, but it was just like many others on my trip, perfectly OK but not memorable.

Favorite Dish: I had steak and chips with a sauce bearnaise and thoroughly enjoyed it. The specialty of the house seems to be carpaccio and it was being served at an amazing rate. I don't care for carpaccio so I can't say whether it was good or bad. What I can say however, is that the people at the next table ordered a second serving each, so I would say it must be good.

• pedroswift's Profile Photo

Ristorante Il Girasole: Saveurs d’Italie - Flavours of Italy

by pedroswift Updated Oct 24, 2010
    from the street

We dined at Il Girasole in May 2010 and we were so impressed that we planned to return the following month with different guests but time constraint prevented a second visit.
    Girasole promises “Saveurs d’Italie”. They surely meet this promise with beautifully cooked and presented food in a very modern looking restaurant with vibrant atmosphere catering for customers from all walks of life.
    The Carte is arranged in typical Italian style with choice ranged under course choices eg Antipasta; Primi Piatta; Secondi Piatti; Desserts. There are lists also based on type of dish eg Pasta, Pizza etc.
    There is a huge choice. For example over 30 Pizza varieties €6 to €15 (the dearest : seafood topping) & 24 Pasta dishes €11 to €15.50.
    Viandes - meats – include ten veal and eight beef dishes. The most expensive veal - €22.5 & beef - €30.5 for mixed grill.
    Prominence was given to specialities of the Season – Asparagus and Strawberries and it was possible to have a three or four course meal with either of these two in each course.
    Italian Wines are featured and as well as bottled wines there are monthly special by the glass, quarter or half litre : €3.5 – 5.5 – 9.00.
    You will find a good selection of aperitifs and an adequate carte of beers.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the Saltimbocca alla Romana - Medalion of veal with Parma Ham in a white wine sauce with sage leaves. We drank both white and red wines by the glass.
    I was delighted with my meal and felt no need for dessert.
    My companions enjoyed their selections as well.
    Good reason to return for that promised second visit when next in Strasbourg.

• hquittner's Profile Photo

Zuem Strissel: Try Escargots a l'Alsacienne

by hquittner Updated Jul 8, 2010

Old Stained Glass Windows

This old restaurant is one block from the river near the crossing of the Ill and is said to have had its origins in the 14C. It is also a winstub. The specialties include foie de gras of oie, escargot a l'Alsacienne and lots of sauerkraut with the main course.

Favorite Dish: Foie de gras de l'oie.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

S'Zwilling Steubel: Tourist versus local.....

by Maryimelda Written Oct 14, 2009

S'Zwilling Steubel......

On my second night in Strasbourg, I thought I'd try a restaurant that was off the tourist track, since it is widely believed that these type of restaurants are better. Hence I found a humble looking little place in the backstreets. There was no one in sight when I walked in. A local man came in after me and we called out "hello"! The chef came running out to greet us and whilst he was very pleasant to me, I soon was ignored in favour of the local man. The chef took my order whilst still carrying on a conversation with the local. Then he cut us both a basket of bread, poured us a drink and left to prepare the food. At this time a lady arrived who turned out to be the waitress. She too, totally ignored me as she delivered my food whilst at the same time, having a conversation with the local man.

Favorite Dish: Food was OK but what was termed "Filet Mignon" on the menu was actually a cheap cut of beef which had been cut to look like a Filet but had obviously been casseroled for quite some time to make it tender. I paid my bill and left with the definite impression that in some instances, maybe we are better off eating at the "Tourist" restaurants after all.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

La Gruber: Cheese and Sausage Salad to die for.......

by Maryimelda Updated Oct 14, 2009

A truly good experience.....

This is a wonderful restaurant for lunch. Inside or out it is always packed. Both areas are huge but especially the inside which is on a number of levels. There would be seating for several hundred people. Wonderful Alsace atmosphere. There was a Private Function in the uppermost area of the indoor section that day so we were all treated to some wonderful French songs by a young lady who had obviously been hired for the function but whose lovely voice and wonderful music floated through the entire restaurant for the enjoyment of all. In this area of Strasbourg, it is hard to find a good restaurant at lunchtime that does not specialise in Flammekeuche, but although La Gruber did serve Flammekeuche, it had an extensive menu besides. Service was as good as I could have expected given the crowd, but I wasn't complaining. I sat back had a drink and enjoyed the atmosphere and the music.

Favorite Dish: I ordered French Onion Soup which was very good and I thought I would augment it with a small size cheese and sausage salad. The salad was so good that it made me regret having not ordered the large size. I certainly will next time. I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Women's Travel

• myriam_c's Profile Photo

Il Girasole: Il Girasole

by myriam_c Updated Jul 8, 2009

An excellent Italian restaurant. We were not the only ones that thought so, because it was packed. Not with tourists, but with locals as far as we could see/hear.

Favorite Dish: My husband had a well topped pizza while I chose ravioli with ricotta and spinach in a cream sauce. Delicious!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

S'Kaffeestuebel: Quiche

by Nemorino Updated May 4, 2009

S'Kaffeestuebel

A nice scruffy little café at Place Henri Dunant where you can have a quiche to eat and something to drink.

Update: Thanks to VT member kokoryko (Hermann) for pointing out that this café is called S'Kaffeestuebel (not S'Kaffeesteubel, as I originally wrote) and that it is located on Place Henri Dunant (not Durant).

Henri Dunant (1828-1910) was the founder of the Red Cross and was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1901. There have also been various people called Henri Durant, but none of them were famous enough to rate getting a square named after them in Strasbourg.

• barbskie's Profile Photo

Le Marquet's: Short Snacks

by barbskie Written Dec 10, 2008

After walking around the cathedral square and in some lovely side streets of the town, we decided to have lunch here. It was somewhat fully occupied but luckily we got a space upstairs for 7 persons. It is somewhat a small place but has a cosy and friendly ambiance. We were all satisfied.

Favorite Dish: My recommendation from fine short orders:

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo

L'Ami Schutz: Traditional French dishes

by Cristian_Uluru Written Sep 13, 2008

L'Ami Schutz

L'Ami Schutz is located in the "Petite France District", one of the most beautiful place of Strasbourg. Here you can taste French and local dishes with an original touch. The staff is very friendly and the ambience is very nice: an old house with a nice garden.

Favorite Dish: The restaurant is quite good. It has got some menu of different prices so you can choose what do you like. I taste a disgusting Le gaspacho de tomate et pastèque, île au basilic (Tomato and watermelon Gaspacho soup with a basil flavoured « island »); very good was La poêlée de saumon au lard et aux champignons, misala et ail en chemise,
    jus corsé au cumin (Fried salmon with bacon, mushrooms, baby potatoes and baked garlic cloves, cumin sauce) and for dessert you must taste the homemade ice cream or La crème caramel aux zestes d'agrumes (A vanilla caramel flan with citrus zests).

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo

Francesca Orangerie: The king of the pasta

by Cristian_Uluru Updated Sep 13, 2008

Francesca Orangerie

Francesca Orangerie is located in front of Park de Orangerie, next to La Residence Jean-Sebastien Bach. In this restaurant you can taste quite good Italian pasta and othe Italian dishes. The staff is friendly and quite speedy.

Favorite Dish: Francesca Orangerie was a good restaurant where you can taste good Italian dishes, expecially pasta. I can suggest to taste Pasta Arrabbiata (with spicy tomato sauce), very good is Osso Buco (marrowbone) served with pasta with tomato sauce, chips and salad. As dessert I can suggest to try a good Fraise melba (strawberry with ice cream).

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Pâtisserie Christian Meyer: Christian Chocolate

by ATXtraveler Written Feb 21, 2008

Christian is a wonderful little chocolate shop and tea room for your dining pleasure. As we arrived earlier than most shops, it was tough to find a spot to sit while the city opened up. Christian appeared to have their signs out, so we entered in the shop below looking to just get a coffee or hot chocolate. Much to our surprise, there was actually a full scale tea room upstairs. We sat down and enjoyed a lovely selection of 10 hot chocolates, several teas, and all the standard coffee variations. There was a full egg breakfast on offer, as well as pastries and cakes. We both chose a chocolate croissant, along with a hot chocolate to fit both our tastes. Sarah went with the traditional sweeter chocolate, while I struck a spicy tone with the Mexique. Both were delicious and hit the spot. The serving was ample enough for two to share a single hot chocolate, but on a cold day we opted for one apiece.

Favorite Dish: Hot Chocolate and pastries.

• Luxury Travel

• mariev's Profile Photo

La Casserole: Fine cooking near the Cathedral

by mariev Written Feb 15, 2008

Not especially alsacian, more generally french.
    La Casserole is situated in a very touristy area but patrons are 95% locals : families, small groups of friends, couples...
    The restaurant is not obvious from outside and the deco is very subdued, the ambience is on the quiet and intimate side but the cooking is refined and excellent.

A very good place for a little splurge

The restaurant is closed on sundays

Favorite Dish: The fish dishes are especially recommended.
    The menu changes often depending on the freshest season products available

• Business Travel

• Acropolis: Pleasant Change

by TravellerAlan Written Sep 21, 2007

Strasbourg is full of wonderful places to eat local cuisine. If you are staying in the city for several days it does however make a pleasant change to try something a little different. I came across a smallish Greek restaurant that was a delight. The Acropolis serves all the main greek dishes in a lovely atmosphere. The owners have really made an effort over the ambiance. The waitress was efficient and courteous and I was most impressed with how she dressed. Definitely worth a visit.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

La Fleur de Chine: A break from French cuisine

by ATLC Updated Aug 26, 2007

I was a bit tired of French cuisine and for once longed for some rice. So we decided to have a leisurely long lunch outside a Chinese restaurant on a sidewalk terrace.

Favorite Dish: It was a great choice. We enjoyed flambeed scampi, stirfried beef with fresh ginger and garlic, Cantonese rice and for dessert ginger in syrup. Together with Chinese beer, mineral water, coffee and tea the bill totalled 452 FF, which recalculated in 2007 would be about € 34 per person.

• Zorra80's Profile Photo

L'épicerie: Old shop turned into favourite hang-out

by Zorra80 Written Aug 14, 2007

"L'épicerie" is a cosy little bistrot in Strasbourg's center. It's furnished like and oldfashioned colonial store so you'll feel beamed back to 100 years ago.
    Their speciality are tartinettes - pieces of dark bread with a variety of different spreads. Best order a few different tastes with your friends and share, so you'll be able to enjoy a few of them. The deserts on offer are mouth-watering as well. And how about some French wine as a company for your lunch/dinner?
    This is an easy-going place for having a relaxed lunch or a cosy hang-out for an evening with friends. Enjoy!

Favorite Dish: Tartinettes with sour cream, herbs and bacon

Instant Answers: Strasbourg

Comments

Strasbourg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Strasbourg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Strasbourg sightseeing.