Strasbourg Restaurants

Business Card - Phone First

Best Rated Restaurants in Strasbourg

Au Grenadier, R. Zussy: Don't miss the Flammekuche

Au Grenadier, R. Zussy

Au Grenadier is a large restaurant and Brasserie standing in Grand'rue. From the outside, the look is nicely antique. Inside, it is much larger than expected and very busy. We arrived at12:30 and hesitated because there were only a few tables with customers while we has seen another restaurant booked out. However, while we were wondering whether we should look for another place in a few minutes, several customers came in. We came in too and five minutes later the room was full! During the whole time we were dining, new customers were queuing up outside!

Favorite Dish: We chose first a Tarte flambée/Flammekuche. For those who do not know what is a Flammekuche, it is looking almost like a pizza but with a very, very thin paste underneath. The thinner, the better. The filling is made of onions, lardoons, fresh cheese (cottage cheese type), cream and sometimes coated with grated cheese. It is a traditional dish of Alsace, cooked very fast in the oven of the baker before the bread, when the fire is very strong, with flames, hence the name. When you are a party (even two!), NEVER order a Flammekuche for each one. As the whole thing is very thin, it cools fast! The Flammekuche is for sharing. You can either tear off a bit with your finger (advisable) or cut it with a knife and take it with a fork (if really you are unable to use your fingers). When the first one is finished, you will order a second one, etc. You will have always a freshly cooked Flammekuche on your table.

The Flammekuche was 10 euros, a bit more expensive than elsewhere but absolutely delicious, the best we had in town.

• JLBG's Profile Photo

Restaurant La Sandkischt: Why not another flammekuche?

Bibbelesk��s

Favorite Dish: They have a very good Flammekuche for 7 euros. For 14 euros, the Matjes (filleted small herrings) were very tasty.
    Bière de Noël (Christmas bier), a bier with aromatics and lemon for 3 euros

Bibbeleskäs is another traditional dish from Alsace. You can see on the photo various delicatessen, steamed cooked potatoes and fresh cheese added with chives, parsley and other herbs.

We had for 17 euros a bottle of red wine "Rouge d'Otrott". I recommend this little known wine from Alsace.

The Nid de cigogne (stork's nest) for desert was for 6.50 euros and yummy (photo)

Argentoratum: Beautiful Riverside Restaurant

by Ujamaflip Written Oct 24, 2004

Restaurant Argentoratum, Petite France

Argentoratum is situated in Petite France on the side of one of the River Ill's Canal's. The location is superb, with the exception of tourists staring at you every ten minutes from sightseeing boats (you can throw bread at them), and the restaurant serves all of the local specialities you would expect.

The food is quite good, not excellent, but quite good. The waiter didn`t speak any English, only French and German, but despite this we managed to find enough common words for the process to run quite smoothly. The terrace is behind the restaurant, so you don`t feel in the way as you do in some alternative river side restaurants, which makes it quite comfortable.

• Architecture

Aux Deux France: Another Flammekuche

by JLBG Written Dec 21, 2006

This small restaurant is situated in the Petite France. Note that it is called "Aux Deux France" and not "Aux Deux Frances". I wonder why!

It is quiet and cosy and the food is good.

Favorite Dish: The regular Tarte flambée/Flammekuche was 7 euros, the Tarte flambée gratinée (with cheese added on top) 7.50 euros, a 1/2 liter pot of Riesling 8.60 euros. The Flammekuche was good but the filling, though very good, was a bit "too much" for a typical Flammekuche.

La Cloche a Fromage: Fantastic Cheese Selection

by Ujamaflip Written Oct 10, 2004

La Cloche a Fromage is a unique restaurant specialising in cheeses. Indeed, the restaurant has an entry in the Guiness bood of World Records (1989) for the worlds largest cheese board! According to the season, over 200 cheeses are offered from around the world, and can be enjoyed in speciality fish or meat dishes, as fondues, raciettes, or just with bread and wine!

The restaurant is in a charming, but more quiet, relaxed location, near the place Gutenburg. The inside is tidy and appealing, and sitting outside on a hot day is very pleasant.

The Restaurant also has a cheese shop nearby.

Restaurant Gurtlerhoft: Great Atmosphere - Away from the Crowds

by Ujamaflip Written Oct 31, 2004

Strasbourg - Restaurant Gurtlerhoft

Restuarant Gurtlerhoft, whilst situated directly opposite the Cathedral, is a quieter, more relaxed location. Passing through a passage in the buildings opposite the cathedral you will notice a doorway on your left, if you follow the steps here downwards you will find the Restuarant, situated in an old cellar.

The ambiance in the Restaurant is excellent, dimly, atomospherically lit, and excellently decorated.

The restaurant offers all the local specialities, wonderfully cooked, and despite the excellent location the prices are reasonable.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

La Gruber: Cheese and Sausage Salad to die for.......

by Maryimelda Updated Oct 14, 2009

A truly good experience.....

This is a wonderful restaurant for lunch. Inside or out it is always packed. Both areas are huge but especially the inside which is on a number of levels. There would be seating for several hundred people. Wonderful Alsace atmosphere. There was a Private Function in the uppermost area of the indoor section that day so we were all treated to some wonderful French songs by a young lady who had obviously been hired for the function but whose lovely voice and wonderful music floated through the entire restaurant for the enjoyment of all. In this area of Strasbourg, it is hard to find a good restaurant at lunchtime that does not specialise in Flammekeuche, but although La Gruber did serve Flammekeuche, it had an extensive menu besides. Service was as good as I could have expected given the crowd, but I wasn't complaining. I sat back had a drink and enjoyed the atmosphere and the music.

Favorite Dish: I ordered French Onion Soup which was very good and I thought I would augment it with a small size cheese and sausage salad. The salad was so good that it made me regret having not ordered the large size. I certainly will next time. I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Women's Travel

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Bistro Romain: If Carpaccio is your thing......

by Maryimelda Updated Feb 11, 2011

Bistro Romain

The restaurant is very nicely presented with your choice of indoor or outdoor dining. Service was friendly and efficient. Food was exactly what I asked for and exactly what I expected. What can I say? It was a good restaurant, I had no complaints, but it was just like many others on my trip, perfectly OK but not memorable.

Favorite Dish: I had steak and chips with a sauce bearnaise and thoroughly enjoyed it. The specialty of the house seems to be carpaccio and it was being served at an amazing rate. I don't care for carpaccio so I can't say whether it was good or bad. What I can say however, is that the people at the next table ordered a second serving each, so I would say it must be good.

• Ujamaflip's Profile Photo

La Mauresse: Fantastic Seafood Platters!

Le Plateau La Mauresse

I was recommended this restaurant by a friend who lives near Strasbourg, and after trying their delicious food, had to recommend it to all of you too. Specialising in sea food, there is a host of different dishes to choose from. We chose the Plateau La Mauresse, and where overwhelmed when they brought out a giant platter of ice garnished with oysters, crab, mussels, cray-fish, snails, etc...

The interior, whilst pleasant and well decorated, doesn`t have the character of some alsatian restaurants. Nevertheless, the food makes up for this. The service is professional, but friendly and not pompous - if you can`t work out how to get the snails out of their shells don`t be afraid to ask!

This restaurant is highly recommended for all seafood fans out there.

Favorite Dish: The Plateau La Mauresse was fantastic (see the photo). This was 68Eur for two, they also have another one (La Plateau Royal) for 100Eur, don`t know what that is, but sounds special!

Le Gruber: Cosy little Alsatian Restaurant

Restaurant Le Gruber

The Restaurant Le Gruber, situated just seconds away from the Cathedral, is a pleasant, cosy, Alsatian restaurant. Inside the Restaurant is dimly lit, but characterful. Sitting outside could be nice to watch people passing by, but being quite a busy pedestrian street I would feel in the way and uncomfortable.

Favorite Dish: The Restaurant offers all the traditional Alsatian food, on this occasion I tried a Choucrout, this is a speciality consisting of a mountain of sour-kraut with a selection of meats and sausages sitting atop. Excellent, and very filling.

Prices where a little higher than average, but this should be expected in the most touristy areas of Strasbourg.

• Business Travel

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

S'Zwilling Steubel: Tourist versus local.....

by Maryimelda Written Oct 14, 2009

S'Zwilling Steubel......

On my second night in Strasbourg, I thought I'd try a restaurant that was off the tourist track, since it is widely believed that these type of restaurants are better. Hence I found a humble looking little place in the backstreets. There was no one in sight when I walked in. A local man came in after me and we called out "hello"! The chef came running out to greet us and whilst he was very pleasant to me, I soon was ignored in favour of the local man. The chef took my order whilst still carrying on a conversation with the local. Then he cut us both a basket of bread, poured us a drink and left to prepare the food. At this time a lady arrived who turned out to be the waitress. She too, totally ignored me as she delivered my food whilst at the same time, having a conversation with the local man.

Favorite Dish: Food was OK but what was termed "Filet Mignon" on the menu was actually a cheap cut of beef which had been cut to look like a Filet but had obviously been casseroled for quite some time to make it tender. I paid my bill and left with the definite impression that in some instances, maybe we are better off eating at the "Tourist" restaurants after all.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Pâtisserie Christian Meyer: Christian Chocolate

by ATXtraveler Written Feb 21, 2008

Christian is a wonderful little chocolate shop and tea room for your dining pleasure. As we arrived earlier than most shops, it was tough to find a spot to sit while the city opened up. Christian appeared to have their signs out, so we entered in the shop below looking to just get a coffee or hot chocolate. Much to our surprise, there was actually a full scale tea room upstairs. We sat down and enjoyed a lovely selection of 10 hot chocolates, several teas, and all the standard coffee variations. There was a full egg breakfast on offer, as well as pastries and cakes. We both chose a chocolate croissant, along with a hot chocolate to fit both our tastes. Sarah went with the traditional sweeter chocolate, while I struck a spicy tone with the Mexique. Both were delicious and hit the spot. The serving was ample enough for two to share a single hot chocolate, but on a cold day we opted for one apiece.

Favorite Dish: Hot Chocolate and pastries.

• Luxury Travel

• Zorra80's Profile Photo

L'épicerie: Old shop turned into favourite hang-out

by Zorra80 Written Aug 14, 2007

"L'épicerie" is a cosy little bistrot in Strasbourg's center. It's furnished like and oldfashioned colonial store so you'll feel beamed back to 100 years ago.
    Their speciality are tartinettes - pieces of dark bread with a variety of different spreads. Best order a few different tastes with your friends and share, so you'll be able to enjoy a few of them. The deserts on offer are mouth-watering as well. And how about some French wine as a company for your lunch/dinner?
    This is an easy-going place for having a relaxed lunch or a cosy hang-out for an evening with friends. Enjoy!

Favorite Dish: Tartinettes with sour cream, herbs and bacon

• markyg's Profile Photo

La Cloche a Fromage: A course or two in cheese

by markyg Updated Jan 16, 2006

I took the recommendation of another VT member and went to La Cloche a Fromage on the way back from Alsace to Frankfurt. It exceeded my expectations. The restaurant is relatively small, but you are able to sit with others. Reservations would be helpful. Dress was casual dressy(no jeans/t-shirts). We were the only non-French speaking people in the restaurant, but the waiters spoke good English and were friendly and helpful. We shared the general cheese plate, which had about 20 different cheeses for 24 Euro. Bread was free, but only interfered with the taste. They had 4 different types of cheese plates, depending on your taste/experience. The waiter described each one and even wrote down the ones we like so we could purchase them across the street, though the cheese shop is closed on Sundays. While this is a phenominal place to try and learn aboutFrench cheese, their other menu items seemed wonderful. Most people in the place were either eating various meat dishes or fondue. They had an extensive French wine list. The desserts were a bit expensive, but worth the money. Even the music was some nice jazz, a rarity in European restaurants.

• Aux Armes de Strasbourg: Charlotte au chocolat

by koalatte Written Jan 3, 2004

This restaurant is a type of Brasserie Alsacienne where you can eat all sort of local food but also some other dishes but it is mainly alsacien. I used to eat there at least once a month if possible and I think that it is a family owned restaurant. They are really kind and I remember once we arrived in this restaurant and they already closed the kitchen but they accepted to serve us which is uncommon in France!
    Food is great there and I still haven't have time to try all the dishes :((

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish in this restaurant is a dessert : Charlotte au chocolat which is wonderfuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuul. I used to eat nothing during dinner just so I still have room and so I can have a big piece of my charlotte.

Instant Answers: Strasbourg

Comments

Strasbourg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Strasbourg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Strasbourg sightseeing.