Strasbourg Warnings and Dangers

• antistar's Profile Photo

Travelling with Small Children

by antistar Updated Dec 8, 2013

Ready for a day out in Strasbourg

Strasbourg is child friendly, and the locals love children more than most places I've taken my son (13 countries now). People were saying hello, patting him on the head, and going out of their way to be helpful. Restaurants were no problem, pavements were well maintained, trams had wide, low doors and there were elevators or ramps everywhere we needed them. The only child unfriendly place was the Tomi Ungerer museum, which was bizarre given how is a beloved illustrator of children's books, but even there they had ramps - they just forbid children prams, running, and just generally having fun.

• antistar's Profile Photo

No Trouble

by antistar Written Sep 28, 2013

Before visiting I'd read that the station area, along with the Homme de Fer transport hub and the central Place Kleber were potentially dodgy, but I didn't feel uncomfortable anywhere in Strasbourg. There were lots of noisy drunks in the Cathedral area, every night after about 10pm, but I didn't notice any trouble. It's your typical, safe European city.

• Hippierose89's Profile Photo

Strasbourg is safe but don't challenge your luck.

by Hippierose89 Written Sep 25, 2011

I lived in Strasbourg for 7 months, as a foreign student, in a student hall in Neudorf. I circulated a lot afterhours in bars, cafes and boites and never have I had a problem -and I'm a girl. Yes, in the last few months we have heard about rapings and racial crimes that seemed to be directed towards people of the jewish community -2 for instance. It is very unfortunate that a beautiful city like Strasbourg has to present such tragedies too. The advice I can offer as a foreigner in an otherwise calm city is as it follows: do not challenge your luck and don't do things you wouldn't normally do in your city as well. If you can, try to stay away from Illkirch and Bagersee at night, try to always have company on the tram, late at night or during the early morning hours and keep a hold of your stuff in night clubs. Do not tickle drunk people; Strasbourg has a thriving night life, and dealing with drunken persons is very common. Don't answer to slurs and invitations to start a fight, and even if you are a girl and the person talks to you in a complimentative way, but you can still see they're drunk, ignore them. It doesn't take more than common sense and logic to know what is best for your safety and well-being.

• Study Abroad

• Strasbourg, France is not as safe as it may seem

by lthornton Updated Dec 4, 2010

I have been living in Strasbourg, France for almost a year and I have been told by many that it is a safe city. As a female I am usually very cautious when I am walking alone after dark, but unfortunately while walking alone at 6:30 to my class in the area of Observatoire a woman became verbally aggressive and pulled a knife on me. I yelled out to several people that were passing by to call police but I was ignored. It was a terrible experience especially since I did not expect it and I felt that the area was safe. I am not sure if she was trying to rob me or just take her anger out on me. My advice to anyone visiting Strasbourg or attending school here is to be careful even if people tell you it is a safe city. I have witnessed aggressive acts on the tram and in the streets among other people and I really feel that crime and violent acts are under reported here in Strasbourg.

• Women's Travel
    • Study Abroad

• Areas to Avoid

by moustachio Written Dec 29, 2009

Hautepierre should definitely be avoided by tourists - it is really dodgy and full of pick-pockets. You should also avoid the city centre late at night even if you are in a group. I speak from experience. I was walking home with my friends from a bar around midnight and we were attacked by four youths (who coincidentaly were actually from Hautepierre as we later found out from the police) It was the most scariest experience of my life and there were two guys with us!!

• fabrice's Profile Photo

criminality is now very high...

by fabrice Updated Dec 3, 2007

criminality is now very high in strasbourg,as everywhere in france,it is due to the choice of the french government,to leave unpunished many crimes.A new game is born in strasbourg:to burn cars by dozens.Nobody dares to complain;better to bear a little criminality than to face a high and severe intifada

there are only 2 crimes in france which are really severely punished : to spank your daughter , and to download music on internet

• Maillekeukeul's Profile Photo

Careful !!!

by Maillekeukeul Written Jan 17, 2005

Dear visitors. Please listen to my sad story. I was a teenage demon, in holiday in Strasbourg, and I was trying to scare everybody around the Notre Dame cathedral. Suddenly, my boss, Mr D, slapped me in the face 'cause I was fooling around too much : slapped me so hard that I've finished my way incrusted within the walls of the Cathedral itself... I'm here to warn you: don't fool around here !!!

• Ujamaflip's Profile Photo

Rats!

by Ujamaflip Written Nov 1, 2004

Strasbourg - Rat!

Beware, whilst the canals of Strasbourg's Petite France area are stunningly beautiful, they inevitably harbour some unsavory lives. On one day we visited this rat captivated an audience of tourists by trying to catch ducks in the canal!

• Wine Tasting

• Pickpocket

by koalatte Written Jan 3, 2004

Well, we do have a lot of pickpockets in Strasbourg but not more than any other big cities, so just be careful and don't put your wallet in the back pocket of your jeans and things like this.
    Just take average precautions and you'll have no problems.

• blagarrett99's Profile Photo

Gypsy invation

by blagarrett99 Written Sep 7, 2003

Be ware of the Gypsies, they are everywhere begging for your money. They will use small children to get your sympathies. In reality, they have more money than YOU do!
    Pick pockets are also a problem. Do not leave anything dangeling from your neck or waist. It is an invitation to a thief.

• blagarrett99's Profile Photo

swimsuit requirements!

by blagarrett99 Written Sep 7, 2003

The sign indicates NO Shorts! Only Briefs!

This may sound funny (and it was) but the warning is real. If you go for a swim at a pool, you MUST have a swimming suit that is very brief. No boxer types are allowed!
    Bernd was asked to leave the pool when he entered wearing the wrong style. He was angry! He tried to 'modify' his suit but each time he was asked to leave the pool!
    After so many tries (he even cut the old swimsuit and tied socks to the suit to make it look 'brief') the oficials began to laugh at his attempts to get into the pool!

• Don't visit the town on sundays or mondays ....

by naniwaDF Written Feb 10, 2003

Shops and a few attractions close down on sunday and monday (sometime saturday too) ... Sure Strasbourg is not THE town to visit for shopping purpose, but it's still very annoying when nothing s opened on the main the shopping streets ...

• places to avoid for safety reason ...

by naniwaDF Written Feb 10, 2003

Avoid Place Kléber and Place de l'Homme de Fer on weekdays and saturdays, especially on the evening .... These places are really nothing special for tourists so I strongly recommend you to avoid them ....

• amcfar8862's Profile Photo

Beggers

by amcfar8862 Written Jan 12, 2003

The only problem I encountered whilst there, was beggers. They seem to hang around at the pay points on the stations for the tram system. Once they see someone is about to pay, they come over to you asking for money. They are mainly women or young girls. None of them though got nasty if refused, they walked away

• tini58de's Profile Photo

Check prices before ordering!!!

by tini58de Updated Sep 8, 2002

the most expensive beer of our life!

After a few hours of sightseeing, my husband and I sat down in a nice beer garden and ordered two beers. They were delicious - but when we got the bill, we didn't trust our eyes!!!
    The equivalent of € 5 for one beer!!!

So in order to avoid a shock like that, check prices beforehand, they might be a little out of bounce!

Instant Answers: Strasbourg

Comments

Strasbourg Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Strasbourg warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Strasbourg sightseeing.