Bergerac Favorites

• ettenaj's Profile Photo

Walking along the Dordogne

by ettenaj Written Jun 18, 2006

The wier

Favorite thing: I must admit we really enjoyed a walk along the banks of the river, this particular day there were many canoes on the water as there is a canoe club in Bergerac it seemed as if they were under instruction or training. If you head downstream away from the bridge you eventually come to a wier, used for power, a great and very cheap afternoons entertainment. on the way back we admired some lovely houses with beautiful gardens.

• Adventure Travel

Bergerac ~ The Little Details

by Canadienne Updated Apr 30, 2003

Doorknocker, Bergerac

Favorite thing: The first afternoon that we spent wandering around Bergerac's vielle ville, we got so caught up in noticing the little architectural details, that the camera slipped my mind entirely.

Fondest memory: It's always nice to have a break from composing shots. . .but on the second day I felt the need to retrace some of our steps in the morning to capture the littel details that I had most enjoyed. Private courtyards, centuries-old houses and even doorknockers are not at all unusual throughout France, but there is a great collection of them in Bergerac. . .yet the city maintains a very modest attitude.

Bergerac ~ Architecture

by Canadienne Updated Apr 29, 2003

Half-Timbered Home, Bergerac

Favorite thing: Many of the streets that run through the vieille ville are lined with stone and half-timbered houses ~ said to originally be labourers' cottages.

Fondest memory: The weather was perfect for just meandering through the mazes of lanes, admiring the architecture and private gardens.

Bergerac ~ A Sleeper Hit

by Canadienne Updated Apr 29, 2003

Bergerac

Favorite thing: I almost bypassed Bergerac on our route in the Perigord, as I had read a not-too-flattering write up in one of the guidebooks.

Fondest memory: Thankfully, some instinct caused me to drive in for a look around. . .we ended up staying two full days. . .and I wished we had stayed just a bit longer. It's a sleepy, unassuming little town (we kept mainly to the vielle ville and the maze of little streets throughout) with lots of squares, courtyards and gardens to explore. Everywhere we turned, there was an item of interest ~ like the striking blue doorway in this photo.

Instant Answers: Bergerac

Comments

Bergerac Favorites

Reviews and photos of Bergerac favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bergerac sightseeing.