Le Bugue Things to Do
3 more images
The Gouffre de Proumeyssac is a splendid dripstone cave between Audrix and Le Bugue. The cave more or less is a large big hall which is full of dripstones. There are very large formations and lots of them, it’s very impressive! Unfortunately photos were not allowed in the cave.
The visit of the cave is with a guided tour only that takes about 45 minutes, and you have two options:
1) The “standard” visit: you walk through a tunnel until you reach a platform, from where you will enjoy a light show before you go down some stairs to the bottom of the cave. The platform is accessible also with wheelchairs, so that people with walking problems can also have a look at the cave.
2) The “original” visit: you descent into the cave in a gondola through the original entrance and get a light show while you go down. The gondola is for 11 persons only, so there may is some waiting time if you choose that type of visit.
Both visits then continue at the bottom of the cave. There you find many little TVs hidden in kind of rocks so that all have a chance to see the animation show about the formation of the cave. Down there is also lots of pottery which get sprinkled with the water for about one year, and then it is sold in the shop. Besides that large hall, there’s also a short narrow & winding way where you need to take care of your head. You pass many dripstones again and also can see something special: triangles. They look really interesting.
We had the chance to attend an English guided tour with a British travel group, but there are also audio guides in several languages that can be hired for 0,90€.
The area outside the cave can be visited for free, and you can have a look at the first gondola that was used to enter the cave and the winch that was used to raise and lower the gondola. Besides, there’s a short geological path with some information plates and a “museum” (I wouldn’t call like that) which is a little room with a few old photos and some objects. You also there find a picnic area, a playground and next to the car park is a forest path with information plates about the trees (French only) which leads to a view point (not that interesting).
Open daily except January.
Admission 2012: “standard” visit 9,10€ adults, 6€ children; “original” visit 17,20€ adults, 11,80€ children.
- Family Travel
Le Bugue Hotels
Le Cingle, Le Bugue, 24260, France
Good for: Business
Place de l'Hotel de Ville, Le Bugue, 24260, France
Good for: Families
14 Rue de Paris, Le Bugue, 24260, France
Good for: Couples
Route de Perigueux
Good for: Couples
5, Mounet Sud, 33410 Sainte Croix du Mont,, Le Bugue, 24260, France
Rue de la Faure, Le Bugue, 24260, France
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates