Saint-Ferme Travel Guide

Saint-Ferme Things to Do

• Meet the Baker

This is one of the Must See's of St Ferme. As the hotbed of social interaction here in St. Ferme, the bakery is the center of all that is in this tiny town. Every morning we or some of us would come down here to get bread for the morning.

• Too pee or not to pee

Anothe rinteresting thing i learnt during this tour was that those stone rigdes weren´t there for water drainage or so.. Well, in quite a different way anyway then i had assumed. Quite illogical on my part since they were halfway the height of the building. The left picture shows where the input needed to go. The right picture shows where it came...

• L'Abbaye de Saint-Ferme

The benedictine abbey of Saint-Ferme dominates the complete village. Tours are given in this abbey that last around an hour and are at the moment given in French or English. I really enjoyed the visit. LEarnt much about the abbey although i have no doubt there is much more to discover. From the 15th of june till the 5th of september you can visit...

Saint-Ferme Nightlife

• cjg1's Profile Photo

by cjg1 Written Jan 11, 2004

The nearest pub to St. Ferme is actually in Pellegrue. It was closed when we finally made it there though.

• Beer Tasting

Saint-Ferme Transportation

• cjg1's Profile Photo

by cjg1 Updated Oct 3, 2006

The only options for getting here is to come by car. We found trains in nearby towns but nothing like that comes to this place. Such a small town of about 350 people I would imagine some bicycle to the next town or maybe even walk. But everyone we saw had a car.

Not normally a small town person, I very much enjoyed my time in this one.

Saint-Ferme Local Customs

• A special thanks

I must say this was the nicest part of the trip. Being here in the southwest of France for a week. I had my reservations about it for so long. But as soon as we arrived we knew we had in fact arrived. I wish we could fully convey the level of our thanks to our hosts for such a great time. Truly the highlight of two years.

• Every morning fresh bread from the...

So delicious to have freshly baked bread and croissants for breakfast. And besides, it is the place for all the St. Ferme news, gossip and all that. If you speak french of course. The baker doesn´t speak english. But you can get a long way with handsignals..

• Saint-Ferme Hotels

0 Hotels in Saint-Ferme

Saint-Ferme Sports & Outdoors

• Mique's Profile Photo

by Mique Updated Jan 16, 2004

Around Saint-Ferme and the villages around, there are many hiking trails. On the area in front of the abbey, you can find a board that indicates which trails there are, how long they are and where they start.

Of course the most famous one is the route to Santiago de Compostela

Area around Saint-Ferme
    • Hiking and Walking

Saint-Ferme Favorites

• Weddings

Although only residents of Saint-Ferme can marry in the village´s Mairie, the church can be used for weddings of non-villagers. And the Mairie rents out a room with an 18th century fresco on the ground floor for (wedding) parties.

• Stone masonry

I never had given it much thought but while on the tour of the abbey, the guide told us about how the stone masons marked their work. The key-like shape in the right-hand corner of the stone and the sign on the left were done on purpose. That way it was obvious who had delivered which stones. And after counting them, payment followed. Each and...

• The village centre

Saint Ferme is build around the abbey. Next to the abbey you'll find the major's office and next to that there is the tourist information 'agency' (yes, there is a very small cabin-like place where you can get tourist info). In front of the abbey you'll find this amasing tree.

Instant Answers: Saint-Ferme

Comments

Explore Deeper into Saint-Ferme
Sainte Ferme Abbey