Saint-Jean-de-Côle Things to Do

  • The Castle view from the scare
    The Castle view from the scare
    by wandeljp
  • Saint Jean de Côle
    Saint Jean de Côle
    by wandeljp
  • The old mill
    The old mill
    by wandeljp

Most Recent Things to Do in Saint-Jean-de-Côle

  • wandeljp's Profile Photo

    'The Saint Jean Batiste church (3)'

    by wandeljp Updated May 30, 2009
    Geoffroy de la Mathonie (?)
    4 more images

    Church inside

    What strikes when entering within the rather dark church is the deprivation. There's no decorations intemperate, but a place removed from th world: an invitation to contemplation.

    It will be noted that the tomb of the bishop of Amiens (1577) Geoffroy of Marthonie (subject: some sources reported buried in the cathedral of Amiens)

    We were in the Easter period, and the opportunity for decoration (photo 5) on the ground with mosses and lichens from the woods and parks surrounding raises the religious atmosphere of the building. The sun fell right on the composition completes the picture.

    ---oooOOOooo---

    Ce qui frappe en entrant dans l'église assez sombre c'est le dénuement. Ici pas de décorations intempestives, mais un endroit retiré du monde invitant à la contemplation .

    On remarquera le gisant serai celui de l'évêque d'Amiens (1577) Geoffroy de la Marthonie (sous réserves, certaines sources le signalant enterré à la cathédrale d'Amiens)

    Nous étions en période de Pâques, et pour l'occasion la décoration (photo 5) à même le sol à l'aide de mousses et lichens provenant des bois et parcs environnant rehaussait l'atmosphère religieuse de l'édifice. Le soleil tombant droit sur la composition complétait le tableau.

    ---oooOOOooo---

    Related to:
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Backpacking
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • wandeljp's Profile Photo

    The Old Bridge

    by wandeljp Updated May 28, 2009

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The roman bridge
    2 more images

    The Old Bridge

    In a fairly distant past the road between Nontron and Thiviers going over the River Cole in Saint John Cole on the Roman bridge.

    "Packhorse Bridge " form of structure paved with pebbles saw past coaches and diligences for many generations. Today, pilgrims on the way to Compostelle use it regularly ... And it was also our case.

    Nowadays, cars take another road and the bridge is a excellent place trout fishermen.

    ---oooOOOooo---

    Dans un passé assez lointain la route reliant Nontron à Thiviers passait la rivière Côle à Saint-Jean de Côle sur ce pont Roman.

    La forme "en dos d'âne"de l'ouvrage pavé de galets aura vu passé des carrosses et des diligences durant de nombreuses générations. De nos jours , les pèlerins en route pour Compostelle l'emprunte régulièrement ...Et se fut également notre cas.

    De nos jours les voitures empruntent une autre route, et le pont est un endroit privilégié pour les pêcheurs de truites.

    ---oooOOOooo---

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Backpacking

    Was this review helpful?

  • wandeljp's Profile Photo

    The Saint Jean Batiste church (2)

    by wandeljp Updated May 27, 2009

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The morillons
    3 more images

    Church outside

    What strikes at first is the 12 meter high wall (blind). They give all the appearance of a fortress.

    Other points of interest are the capitals although very eroded showing different scenes from the bible.

    I personally find most interesting and even "spectacular" the "morillons": different heads of humans or animals just under the roof.

    Important: The church is always open from 8:30 to 19:30 hours.

    ---oooOOOooo---

    Ce qui frappe au premier abord c'est les 12 mètres de hauteur des murs (aveugles) .Ils donnent à l'ensemble des allures de forteresse.

    Autre points d'intérêts sont les chapiteaux bien que très érodés reprenant différentes scènes de la bible.

    Je trouve personnellement plus intéressants et même "spectaculaire" les morillons: différentes têtes d'humains où d'animaux.

    Important: l'église est toujours ouvertes de 8:30 à 19:30 heures.

    ---oooOOOooo---

    Related to:
    • Budget Travel
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Backpacking

    Was this review helpful?

  • wandeljp's Profile Photo

    The Saint Jean Batiste church (1)

    by wandeljp Written May 25, 2009

    2 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    View from the marquet

    The Saint Jean Batiste church

    It's around the year 1083 the Bishop of Périgueux, Raynaud de Thiviers decide to built the church of the priory.

    While it is undeniable that it is of Roman construction, it takes form a Byzantine unique and special. You should know that the huge dome (12.60 m in diameter) it collapsed under its own weight in the course of history. This is the 2nd in scale across the Périgord.

    ---oooOOOooo---

    C'est vers l'an 1083 que l'évêque de Périgueux, Raynaud de Thiviers fait construire l'église du prieuré.

    S'il est incontestable qu'elle est de construction romane, elle endosse une forme byzantine unique et particulière. Il faut savoir que l'énorme coupole (12,60 m de diamètre) c'est effondrée sous son propre poids dans le courant de l'histoire. C'est la 2ème en grandeur de tout le Périgord.

    ---oooOOOooo---

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Backpacking

    Was this review helpful?

  • wandeljp's Profile Photo

    The old houses in the smal streets

    by wandeljp Updated May 25, 2009

    2 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Rue du Fond du Bourg
    2 more images

    Rue du Fond du Bourg

    You will not long time have to looking for, the village is not so great, before reaching the rue du fond du bourg.

    Some half-timbered houses of the fourteenth century are visible. One of them is particularly spectacular: it hang to the side of the street and partly in an ambiguous position.

    Some other small streets are picturesque but also the houses are less distant.

    ---oooOOOooo---

    Vous n'aurez pas longtemps à chercher, le village n'étant pas si grand, avant d'arriver à la rue du fond du bourg.

    Quelques maisons à colombages du XIV ème siècle y sont visible. L'une d'elles est particulièrement spectaculaire: elle penche vers le côté de la rue et est en partie en porte-à-faux.

    Quelques autres petites rues sont également pittoresques mais les maisons sont moins anciennes.

    ---oooOOOooo---

    Related to:
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Backpacking
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • wandeljp's Profile Photo

    The old mill

    by wandeljp Updated May 21, 2009

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The old mill
    2 more images

    The old mill

    Located only a few meters from the old bridge. Powered by the Côle River tributary of the Dronne, this mill can not be visited.

    It is not in use since long time, as are others in the region producing the flour but also cider or walnut oil.

    ---oooOOOooo---

    Situé a seulement quelques mètres du vieux pont. Alimenté par la rivière Côle affluent de la Dronne, ce moulin ne se visite pas.

    Il n'est plus en activité depuis bien longtemps, comme le sont d'autres dans la région produisant la farine mais aussi du cidre ou de l'huile de noix.

    ---oooOOOooo---

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Backpacking
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • wandeljp's Profile Photo

    The Castle

    by wandeljp Updated May 21, 2009

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Castle view from the scare

    The Castle

    Majestic, overlooking the square (St. Jean) in the village, you can only be impressed by this imposing fortress.

    His conception out XII th century. It is classified as historical monuments.

    An eventful history: the first "castle" was created in the XII th century, a famous owner was Marthon Mondot of the first President of the Court of the Parliament of Bordeaux, François I, King of France went to Italy. Following the alliance and marriages he spent in different families. Today, the Beaumont-Beynac are still owners.
    In the fifteenth century it replaces the old building burned by the English during the horrific fighting of the Hundred Years' War. In 1569 it was devastated by the Protestants.

    In the seventeenth century it underwent a major transformation with the addition of the wing that we see today, facing the square.

    ---oooOOOooo---

    Majestueux, dominant la place (Saint-Jean) du village, vous ne pourrez qu'être impressionnés par cette imposante forteresse.

    Sa conception date du XIIème siècle. Il est classé aux monuments historiques.

    une histoire mouvementée: un premier "châteaux" voit le jour au XIIème siècle, un célèbre propriétaire fut Mondot de la Marthonie, premier président de la Cour du Parlement de Bordeaux, quand François premier, roi de France passa en Italie. Suite aux alliance et mariages il passa dans différentes familles. Aujourd'hui les Beaumont-Beynac en sont toujours propriétaires.
    Au XV ème siècle il remplace l'ancien édifice brûlé par les Anglais lors des combats atroces de la guerre de Cent ans. En 1569 il est dévasté par les protestants.

    Au XVIIème siècle il subit une transformation importante avec l'ajout de l'aile que nous voyons aujourd'hui faisant face à la place.

    ---oooOOOooo---

    Related to:
    • Backpacking
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Saint-Jean-de-Côle

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

68 travelers online now

Comments

Saint-Jean-de-Côle Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Saint-Jean-de-Côle things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Saint-Jean-de-Côle sightseeing.

View all Saint-Jean-de-Côle hotels