Thonac Travel Guide

MAISON FORTE DE REIGNAC

Thonac Things to Do

Terrace's of Maison Forte de Reignac 3 more images

by balhannah Written Oct 1, 2011

Once we had seen all the inside rooms, then it was time to venture outside to the cliff terraces.
    What a lovely view of the Vezere Valley!
    Walking around here, I could understand how the Manor could see thieves, robbers, kidnappers, Army's,etc., trying to get into the Manor. The caves above 40 feet high, were never attacked.
    On one of the terraces are a group of paintings showing the Manor through the Ages.
    After having a good look here, it was time to head downstair's, and through the gift shop which was the exit.
    We thought this Manor was great, and are so glad we stopped to have a look through it!

MAISON FORTE DE REIGNAC 3 more images

by balhannah Updated Oct 1, 2011

This Manor house is large, and has many rooms, including a large reception room, arms room, dining room, lounge, kitchen, bedrooms, chapel, dungeon and basement.

We wandered through many more fully furnished rooms, seeing beautifully carved pieces of furniture and old painting's.
    Steps led to the upper floors where the small & sparse bedroom of the Duke of Reignac and the more decorative bedroom of the Duchess was located. Of interest, was the dormitory used by Children, Soldier's and Servant's. No feather mattress, but fern leaves to sleep on!
    Legend is............those who sleep on fern leaves are more inclined to become athletes.
    Next to the Chapel were the Dungeon and the Torture room.
    There are over 60 torture tools on display, ranging from the middle ages till today. Those on display, include the one where they stretch you, and the Guillotine and others, I thought this display was good!

Lots of stuffed animals are displayed on walls and cabinets, so I am guessing, hunting was very popular.

This Manor, I found really interesting, and "different." As I wandered around the different rooms, listening to medieval music, and feeling "at home" with the fire in fireplaces, I thought this Manor house has a very nice atmosphere.

• Architecture

The big Cavern 4 more images

by balhannah Written Oct 1, 2011

We paid our 7 euro admission fee, and then proceeded to enter the Manor house. I liked that we could take our time and look around on our own, no tour needed.

At the start, we entered a large underground rock chamber displaying some of the prehistoric objects discovered here. There were skull's, hunting bow's & arrow's, clothing and a lot more, dating back to the 15th century.
    We moved into the kitchen, furnished with the pots and pans of the day, and all other items found in a kitchen of that period, plus, they had the wood fire burning, a nice touch!

The walls are stone at the front, and the back wall of each room is cliff, as well as the ceiling. The floor is rough, stone or cliff on the bottom floor.

I will continue telling you more on the next tip

Instant Answers: Thonac

Comments

Thonac Travel Guide
Map of Thonac