Bayeux Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Bayeux

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Le Pommier: Convenient to sightseeing and fun

by Beausoleil Updated Jun 6, 2012

It was a cold blustery day in Bayeux and we were hungry. We walked from the market back toward our car and didn't find anything promising. As we walked down rue des Cuisiniers, we remembered and quickly found Le Pommier with the cheerful apples on the facade. It looked warm and inviting so we entered.

It was very crowded (and delightfully warm) but they did manage to seat us. The waitress was very nice; the menu was wide-ranging, even including a vegetarian "formula." We opted for the fish instead and it was very good.

This is not a gourmet restaurant and there is a lunch "menu" for 15.00 euros. At that price you wouldn't expect gourmet. The food was very good; the service excellent and the ambience warm and inviting.

They have updated the facade since I took the photo. It looks much more modern now but the food and ambience remain lovely.

Favorite Dish: We had crudités, fish in a cream sauce and Ed got the apple sorbet in Calvados while I got a fondant au chocolate (my all time favorite dessert).

Le Pommier Restaurant

LE POMMIER: My favourite

by jakiline Written Jun 4, 2006

My two daughters and I celebrated our birthdays last year in this restaurant : they enjoyed it, both atmosphere and great food, we spent a great time there, almost creating entertainment (fine wine).

Favorite Dish: They may have a new MENU, it is a gastronomic restaurant: it is the right place to enjoy fine Norman meals, either with fish / seafood or meat (le "Cochon de Bayeux" is the local meat)

It is labelled "Normandie Qualité Tourisme"

le cochon de bayeux

• ExGuyParis's Profile Photo

Boulangerie de la Cathédrale: The Best Gland in the Land

by ExGuyParis Updated Jan 25, 2004

Not really a restaurant, but a place to buy superb French pastry.

Favorite Dish: This boulangerie has the best gland I have ever tasted.

What, you are asking, is a gland? It is a bit like an eclair, only shaped more like an oval, and it is distinguished by its green icing and chocolate jimmies. Inside is a rich cream custard. Very addictive, and I'm addicted. I've tried them from dozens of places, and the one I found here takes the cake.

This boulangerie offers two varieties of gland. The green-iced one from here has a subtle flavor of Grand Marnier. YUM!

Glands Close To Heaven

• jakiline's Profile Photo

HOTEL DE LA MARINE: CUISINE DU BORD DE MER (SEAFOOD BY THE SEASIDE)

by jakiline Written Jun 17, 2006

You can find these hotel-restaurants in ARROMANCHES and PORT EN BESSIN (about 10/12 km far from Bayeux)
    Both are set on quays, and from your seat you may enjoy the sunset on the sea (in Arromanches it is really beautiful). The tables are nicely laid. The waiters and waitresses very professional.
    They offer 2/3 different menus, different prices (30/50 euros)

Favorite Dish: I had dinner at Arromanches(menu touristique) and it was very good. I recommend the oysters, and fish, fresh from our coasts.

Of course "Mussels and chips" is a traditional dish in this area. Most pleasant dish with cider or white wine. I usually have Norman cider.

Norman recipes

LA FRINGALE: Enjoy the Apple Atmosphere

by jakiline Written Dec 16, 2007

If you come to Normandy I guess you agree to taste Norman local products. So why not start with the BAYEUX cider and some fresh local food ?

I recommend oysters as a starter, then "jambon au cidre" (ham served with vegetables, french fries, and cider sauce), and their apple tart tastes nicely, I was told, because I usually end my menu with a coffee, rarely with dessert.

The manager and the waiters are very nice people.

Favorite Dish: It is closed in winter. During the touristic season (April - September) better book your table.

• Business Travel
    • Singles

DOMESDAY & others: Norman Pans

by jakiline Updated May 12, 2007

This restaurant is called after the "Domesday Book" that gave to William of Normandy, king of England, an entire account of the wealth in "his" kingdom...
    It is near the cathedral, you can't miss it.
    The ambiance is warm, and there you may have CREPES or pancakes, or other dishes

There is a new CREPERIE-GRILL called "Pate a Pat", it might be nice, but i haven't been there yet.

If you like local traditional food, then you may also go to LE PETIT NORMAND, and IT IS OPEN ON SUNDAYS!!!!

Favorite Dish: Any, it is good food.
    ask for some local cider as well, if you choose "crêpes"

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

La Rapiere: Excellent Food

by vichatherly Written Jul 9, 2009

If you want an authentic French restaurant with a bit of class then this is the place for you. We had an excellent 5 course meal at this rather nice French restaurant.

The service was friendly, attentive but not intrusive.

Go for a feast of French cuisine. We booked a table for two for 8pm and then went for a drink in a local bar. Fast food it was not, so don't come here if you after quick bite.

Go to immerse yourself in what the French do best!

Favorite Dish: It was all good.

La Rapiere

• Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo

Le Moulin de la Galette: For those who want to enjoy true Normandian food

by Pavlik_NL Written Nov 23, 2007

This superb restaurant offers the true traditions of Normandie kitchen. Here you can choose out of a wide variation of absolute Normandian dishes and if requested, the person that serves you will explain in fine details the traditions surrounding this dish.
    Besides the exquisit menu, the restuarants location is also of great ambiance. The restaurant is in an old watermill and on a sunny day it is a great joy to sit on the terrace to have dinner, while the silent Aure river runs by your table and a splendid view over Bayeux is in front of you.

Favorite Dish: Whatever your choice will be, drink Cider wine with it and see how this is served.
    Suggestion for dish: something with camembert?

Our lovely tabel at Moulin de la Galette Ilja checking out the menu Ilja, having fun with the antiquity at the terrace Irina and Ilja at the actual Moulin de la Galette

• La Rapier: Great local place!

by stewwhite Written Jul 23, 2004

In a little alley off the main street, this is a mom and daughter run restaurant which I suspect is mostly for locals, but our hotel reccommended the place and it was our favorite restaurant in Bayeux during our visit. We returned often. Excellent food and good wines, all very competitively priced. Mom's english was good, and the daughters was close.

Favorite Dish: Everything on the menu.

• ranger49's Profile Photo

Le P'tit Restro is the new name of Le Petit Bistro: New Style Bistro

by ranger49 Updated Oct 4, 2009

Only a few steps away from the main entrance to the Cathedral this tiny bistro packs a real punch..
    We first came here in 2007 and so enjoyed our meal we returned (1 Oct 2009)
    We found a few changes.
    To begin with a change of name – Le Petit Bistro is now Le P'tit Resto.
    Gone is the deep red facade – grey is now the colour to look out for..
    Inside, the simple, modern decor of the dining area provides just 12 covers with some seating beyond.
    The cuisine is much as before – lingering echoes of nouvelle cuisine with more substance.

It was a lovely warm day so we chose to sit outside and ordered the Formule Express – 15 euros for two courses including a generous glass of wine, plus an amuse-guelue and a tiny sweet to finish.
    To start I chose petits andouilles with lardons and apple in a crusty case of finely cut crisp onions. John went for pissadaliere de thon.
    The main course was roast loin of pork with chorizo, roast potato and a delicious onion and red wine sauce.
    Don't go there if your idea of a good meal is a piled high, an overflowing plate.
    For us this was a perfect light lunch..

Before As it is  now Table decoration

• Le Rapier: great local french food

by stewwhite Written Jul 23, 2004

Hidden in a little alley, this is a family owned and operated (as far as we could tell by mom and daughter) which has tons of atmosphere and REALLY good food. Have tried several meals there and never been anything but absolutely delighted with the quality and the prices!

Favorite Dish: Everything!

• iluvtrvl's Profile Photo

Lovely French Dinner

by iluvtrvl Written Jun 27, 2004

We ate dinner at a restaurant at the corner of Rue des Bouches and Rue Royale/Rue Alain Chartier. I believe it was in the Hotel Mogador. We asked for outdoor seating, which was a covered patio along Rue Alain Chartier. The service was very good, but being American and used to eating much earlier than the French, we were promptly seated at 7:15 pm, and were the only guests at the time. Each of the three of us had a different meal, I had the goat cheese in a flaky pastry that was fabulous. The wine served was of course, French, but opting for the house white wine, I do not not the vintage. We opted to pass dessert there, but instead to stroll along the streets and have coffee and dessert at a small sandwich and ice cream shop at the corner of Rue St. Patrice and Rue Royale/Rue Alain Chartier (it's the same street but changes names at Rue St. Patrice). The lovely young couple that own this shop had been very helpful to us on our first day of arriving, and we patronized their shop every day. The young man's name was Michael, and he and his petite wife were extremely cordial and friendly. Please stop in and say hello to them from Missi from Jacksonville, Florida, who visited with them in July 2002. They are the primary reason Bayeux has such a sentimental piece of my memories.

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

Le Petit Normand: Excellent Family Restaurant

by vichatherly Written Jul 13, 2009

We we recommended this restaurant by the landlady of the B&B that we were staying at. It was excellent. We hadn't booked, but they were very friendly and managed to fit us in with no problems. A friendly and not too fussy place.

Favorite Dish: We had one of the set menus which was excellent. I started with Oysters and the meal continued from there.

Flowers in Bayeux

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Brasserie Reine Mathilde: Eat with the Queen

by rexvaughan Written May 2, 2012

Just behind and a little north of the cathedral is this charming little bar, brasserie, creperie which are associated with the Hotel Reine Mathilde. Of course it is named for a local historic figure, Queen Mathile, wife of William the Conqueror, so to keep the local theme, I had a tartine with local camembert and a legendary Norman tarte tatin. My son is addicted to chocolate mousse so opted for that. We all 4 tenjoyed the food, reasonable prices and the fine service.

The nice terrace Chocolate Mousse Tarte Tatin
    • Museum Visits

• whosyercc's Profile Photo

Paris Bistro: Nice atmosphere, good food

by whosyercc Written Dec 14, 2004

It helps to know what your ordering, but if you are like me and know very little french, boeff is beef and you're pretty safe if you like beef.
    I lucked out and had a wonderful dinner as did my friend.
    He had a fish dish that he hasn't stopped talking about.

Instant Answers: Bayeux

Comments

Bayeux Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bayeux restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bayeux sightseeing.