Carteret Travel Guide

Carteret, Normandy
    by antistar

Carteret Things to Do

• The Hills

There are lots of nice walking opportunities around the village, especially up into the coastal hills that overlook the sea, beaches and the village itself. There's a lighthouse somewhere, although we couldn't find it, but it was nice enough just to wander about aimlessly. The views were excellent, as you can see in the picture, which is only...

• The Harbour

...or you can sit grumpily on the coastal wall, on a scorching August afternoon, and pretend to read a French newspaper, as if the words meant anything to you, while getting very sunburnt, and kinda hungry because you had to throw away the burger you bought from the little take-away as you discovered the red stuff in the middle of the burger wasn't...

• The Harbour

The village has a pretty little harbour, filled with small yachts and fishing boats bobbing up and down in the shallow water in front of the village's sea front. It makes a great place for a coffee on a sunny day.

Carteret Nightlife

• antistar's Profile Photo

by antistar Written Aug 1, 2004

"We'd gone in search of the only nightlife in the town, a club in the neighbouring village of Barneville. We'd got completely lost in the country lanes, only to be saved by a pensive man in a black Peugeot 205. He'd been driving around and around at break neck speed, passing us at least a few times, before stopping to ask something we couldn't understand. He had invited us into the car, and without another word, drove us crazily to our destination. The Barneville nightclub was attended only by a handful of young people and a number of very expensive bottles of Pelforth. I'd danced, alone, to Blur's "Girls and Boys", before we returned to the camp site to entertain ourselves. " - from my travelogue

I have no idea where this nightclub is, what it looks like, or what it is called, but I am pretty certain it is the only one in the whole place. We could hardly find it in the pitch blackness, and I wouldn't be all that bothered about finding it again, although it might be better on a weekend. Then again, it might have been a weekend that we visited.

Dress Code: Considering they let us in, there probably isn't one.

Carteret Transportation

• antistar's Profile Photo

by antistar Written Aug 1, 2004

Being such a small place, Carteret has limited travel opportunities, but amazingly it does have a ferry port. Supposedly, and I remember seeing adverts for the trip while I was there, Emeraude runs regular ferries from Carteret to several of the Channel Islands, including Jersey. Unfortunately their website makes no mention of any ferry service they operate, other than the one from St Malo to Jersey, but if you dig into their history you will see that they started at least one route to Carteret and don't mention closing it. The tourist websites for Normandy and Carteret also reference the ferry service, so I am confident it still runs.

Carteret Favorites

• I bet nobody will ever read this...

...so I will throw in this picture of me appearing to sitting in a yogic trance on the sea wall in Carteret. I think I was still pondering the bloody burger.

• View from Carteret

The coastline in Normandie is a beautiful succession of beaches and cliffs, as can be seen here from the lighthouse hill in Carteret. It makes for a good destination in the evening.

• View onto Port-Bail

Carteret is a great place to have a view of the coast, as there is a lighthouse at the top of the cliff. From there it is possible to see the lovely seaside town of Port-Bail.

Instant Answers: Carteret

Comments

Explore Deeper into Carteret
The Beaches