Honfleur Restaurants

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Le Bistro du Port: Fabulous seafood

by sue_stone Written Jul 19, 2006

Roast tuna steak

We only had the time for one meal during our stay in Honfleur, so wanted to make it a good one. Arriving on a Saturday night without a reservation anywhere did cause a bit of a problem, and we were turned away from the first few places that we liked the look of.

Then Le Bistro du Port caught our eye….well, the HUGE seafood platters on people's tables caught our eye! They did have a spare table, though unfortunately it was inside the restaurant, rather than on the lovely terrace at the front, oh well, we were hungry and the food looked great so we stayed.

The restaurant is located across the road from the port, a block or two from the Vieux Bassin. It specialises in seafood, and boy did it look good!

Favorite Dish: We started with some oysters, sharing a dozen between the 3 of us. I think I can honestly say these were the best oysters I have ever eaten! And they were big too. Yum.

Main meals - Chris & I both had the Roast Tuna steak with a pistachio & almond crust and a red wine sauce - the flavours were quite unusual, but the fish was fantastic. Alex had the Salmon, Swordfish & Cod kebab, served on lemon Risotto, which he said was delicious.

Chris & Alex managed to squeeze in some dessert - they both had the Apple Tart, which was beautifully presented (see photo).

We enjoyed a very refreshing bottle of Sancerre with our meal, and Chris & Alex sampled a small glass of Calvados (apple brandy) with their dessert

A lovely meal was had by all, and perhaps next time we will order one of those HUGE seafood platters!

• Wine Tasting

• Oana_bic's Profile Photo

Lovely restos

by Oana_bic Written Apr 22, 2004

Nice cosy restaurants equally classy pitoresque ones - its up to u...All around the harbour, u cant miss them..
    So much enjoyed sea food plates, fish soup with chees & mayonese, mussels & fries...
    Though, looking for a restaurant/ table could be quite a hassle, specially as they close pretty early, they're not too many & specially on public holidays they are overbooked. That night we ended up in bar restaurant after half an hour negotiations and queues...

La Trinquette: Good crepes and salad

by rexvaughan Written Nov 27, 2007

Front of the cafe

Along side the basin there are scores of restaurants, almost all with tables and chairs beside the water, at least in good weather. This one is, of course a creperie but had some other light offerings as well. It is a pleasant place to sit, watch the boats come in and out and the people strolling along the walk.

Favorite Dish: We had eaten a big breakfast so just wanted a very light lunch. We both had a very nice simple salad of greens, tomatoes, bacon and toasts with camembert accompanied by a glass of the house wine. Very tasty and just what we needed. My wife loves desserts but is always willing to share so we had a crepe with chocolate sauce, whipped cream and coconut ice cream (she loves desserts) and I snuck a taste - delicious as you might expect.

The total bill was 34.70 Euros.

La Chaloupe: Good steak, fries and apple pie

by rexvaughan Written Dec 8, 2007

The view from the restaurant

La Chaloupe is another of the many restaurants which line the Vieux Bassin in Honfleur. We were there in the evening and sat beside the basin where we enjoyed the serenity of the evening admiring the peaceful lighted little harbor. It is not a particularly fancy place but we had an enjoyable evening and a good meal.

Favorite Dish: I had steak frites and my wife had a steak au poive. They were both nicely done and my wife's creamy pepper sauce on the steak was excellent. The fries were crisp and fresh and our salad was a large serving of greens with tomatoes and a good balsamic vinegarette. We washed it down with a pitcher of the house red wine which I never identified but enjoyed. We finished with the local specialty, apple tart with ice cream and topped with whipped cream. A very basic but very good meal.

Total bill was 51.60 Euros.

L'Absinthe: Elegant food and atmosphere

by rexvaughan Written Nov 28, 2007

The terrace dining room

No we did not drink Absinthe here. I don't even know if they served it or if they just decided naming the restaurant after the preferred drink of a lot of 19th Century writers was cool. At any rate the food here is excellent and the dining rooms are charming in old rooms dating back to the 15th and 17th Centuries. We could only get reservations on the enclosed terrace which was quite nice but did not have the warm ambience of the dining rooms.

Favorite Dish: We opted for the fixed price menu at 33 Euros each and it was wonderful. It began with a first course of a small cup of a cream concoction with pureed leeks and herbs - very tasty. Then we had appetizers: for me smoked salmon layered with a medley of onions and other vegetables and for my wife cod fritters with a type of tartar sauce. My wife's entree was sea bream with carmelized onions and mine was guinea fowl with a very good red sauce, black mushrooms and scallions. Our wine was a red sancerre, a fairly light and fruity one which we both enjoyed. Desserts were for my wife creme brulee and for me a praline with bitter chocolate sauce and toasted almonds. It was the darkest chocolate I have ever eaten but an excellent combination. The cheese plate offered about 15 choices and we had camembert, chevre and a third I can't remember all served with nice walnut bread.

The dinner was not cheap at just under 100 Euros for 2 but for what it was quite reasonable and a really fine lineup of dishes.

Les Marmottes: Try the fondue

by rexvaughan Written Dec 7, 2007

Fondue, bread and salad - what more could you want

It always pays to check out menus posted on the front of restaurants. Les Marmottes bills itself as a creperie and we had had crepes (or gallettes) for lunch, plus I wanted something more substantial for dinner. The menu listed fondue which I have not had in ages, so we ventured in. It has a warm and cozy atmosphere and was pretty much full inside with only a few people seated on the terrace as it was a bit cool.

Favorite Dish: We had a wonderful fondue with camembert and emmental. It was rich and tasty as we
    dipped the pieces of bread in. It was accompanied by a simple salad of lettuce, tomatoes and jambon with a light and flavorful balsamic vinegarette dressing. We washed it down with a pichet of their house sauvignon blanc which was also quite good. A good note to remember if you don't want a full bottle of wine, you can frequently get a pichet, pitcher or carafe for much less that 2 glasses and you get more wine as well.

A very satisfying meal and the bill was only 37.50 Euros.

Cafe de 'Hotel de Ville: Nice location, so-so food

by rexvaughan Written Nov 30, 2007

The terrace

The location of this cafe is mostly what it has going for it as it is situated beside the Vieux Bassin and just in front ot the Hotel de Ville. It has a nice terrace that in good weather enables you to watch people going by, artists at work and families enjoying the merry-go-round.

Favorite Dish: The food wasn't bad but nothing to write home about either. My wife had a very small shrimp coctail and I had a jambon fromage gallette which was a bit on the dry side. We both had glasses of sweet cider which were very good. After all we are in Calvados, the apple growing region. The total bill was just under 25 Euros.

• ryuhome's Profile Photo

Ferme de la Grand Cours: Nice rustic restaurant - great food

by ryuhome Written Nov 30, 2006

The restaurant

We like the rustic decor in this restuarant. It's alittle bit off the way on Cote de Grace (it'll be long uphilll walk without a car). We stayed at this farm and were pleasantly surprised by their food. I had the lamb (d'Agneau) which is the best I ever had (I asked for 'rose', which is about medium raw).

• ExGuyParis's Profile Photo

L'Arome Marin: Gourmand Normand

by ExGuyParis Updated Aug 23, 2003

Love and Food in Honfleur

We had a wonderful meal here. The seafood is outstanding (according to my companions. I am a no-fish no-seafood person, and there were multiple choices for me).

We got a table without a reservation, because we arrived at 7 pm. Later, they were turning people away like mad, so a reservation is worthwhile.

Favorite Dish: My friend raved about the fish soup. I had a turkey stew with a calvados sauce... heavenly!

Main courses range from 10 to 15 euros.

• hquittner's Profile Photo

Almost All of Them: Cockles & Mussels, Alive, Alive, O

by hquittner Written Dec 10, 2007

One Empty Table

Given the location, along the Vieux Bassin, this is shellfish lovers paradise. If you look at the menu boards you can find (by the price) a large entree of mostly raw molluscs with a couple of expensive oysters and modest prawns for deco. If it is a high-class place, it may be served on a stainless steel tiered rack with various picks to assist in dissection. As you walk along the quais, the objects of your desire may be exhibited to emphasize their freshness. Pick a place with lots of activity (a possible guarantee of freshness). Remember that alive means raw and fresh.

Favorite Dish: W had never eaten mussels raw before. Many of the shellfish were new to us : whelks, cockles, sea snails, sea urchin(?), all interesting.

• Seniors

• MikeAtSea's Profile Photo

Sa.Qua.Na: Japanese French Combination

by MikeAtSea Written Nov 18, 2007

Sa.Qua.Na

Sa.Qua.Na blends Japanese-French cuisine into Honfleur’s rich restaurant list. Chef Alexander Bourdas has a passion for fishing, hence the name and theme of his restaurant. The name of the restaurant in Japanese (Sakana) means “fish”. Bourdas uses wordplay, as Sa.Qua.Na, abbreviated in French is: SA for Saveurs (flavours), QUA for Qualité (quality), and NA for Nature (nature). His Michelin rated cuisine is modern and inventive. Located a few blocks from the old port.

• Business Travel

• MikeAtSea's Profile Photo

Le Bréard: Tasty & Modern

by MikeAtSea Written Nov 18, 2007

Le Br��ard

Le Bréard is located in a quaint street near St. Catherine’s church. Chef Fabrice Sébire’s innovative and creative menu has placed him on the Gault-Millau’s list and has been honoured with a Bib Gourmand. Michelin rates Le Bréard with tasty and modern cuisine.

• Business Travel

• L' Hippocampe: An Excellent Seafood Restaurant

by dimilag Updated Apr 15, 2007

After a long drive we arrived in Honfleur very hungry. L'Hippocampe was a surprise. Beautifull situated on the waterfront of Vieux Bassin it challenged us to taste its dishes. Nice food, well cooked, fresh seafood, local wine, friendly staff (who speaks English), lovely atmosphere and nice prices.

Favorite Dish: Seafood, Lobster and Fish

• gwened's Profile Photo

Le Crystal: seafood at its best Crystal

by gwened Written May 22, 2013
    Restaurant Le Crystal

an old house, two floors nicely done, great quiet ambiance, refine friendly service, tucked away on a quaint street and the food is sublime.
    Try to eat in the second floor or 1ére étage here
    We have come here often over the years and still very good, a find and now share. Enjoy it

Favorite Dish: the mussels marinade, the fish or poisson au gimgembre or the dessert of tarte aux pommes. Classic
    pour sucked in the ambiance go for the seafood platter 70€ for two ,sublime.

• gwened's Profile Photo

le Bistro du Port: seafood at the port

by gwened Written May 23, 2013
    le Bistro du Port

Another seafood fish dandy of many years, still standing gloriously after crossing the parking du Môle.

Menus of 17,23,and 27 Euros all good, we go for the 23€ as it gives us soup, mussels, and the choice of the beef or fish, and I choose the one fresh for the day.

the ambiance is bistro but in the country, is full and lively, nice conversations.

Favorite Dish: love the FILET DE DORADE EN PAPILLOTTE CUIT AU FOUR PARFUME A LA CITRONELLE
    or sea bream in cover buttefly cook in oven with lemony perfume. The fish soups, and the mussels or moules are good too.
    I see the menu and choose the fresh fish of the day.

Instant Answers: Honfleur

Comments

Honfleur Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Honfleur restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Honfleur sightseeing.