Mont Saint Michel Off The Beaten Path

boat collection at maritime museum
    France cruiseliner boat
    boat collection

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Mont Saint Michel

• hquittner's Profile Photo

Look At the Statue of St.-Michel

by hquittner Written Nov 15, 2007

You cannot climb up the central tower at the crossing of the churchb(just imagine the view!). But remeber to look up at it from a vantage point that will alow you to see the statue of St. Mike (after all it is his Abbet). The gilded statue is on top of a spire set over the two story square "Romanesque " base. He is thrusting his lance at a dragon under his feet (sculptor Fremiet, 1895). This is one of the reasons that experienced tourists alway carry a pair of binoculars. (We used a camera lens). There are other statues of him around the Abbey but we have lost our notes on their locations, just retaining the pictures.

The Protector The Fighter The Judger
    • Seniors

• Segolily's Profile Photo

Vespers

by Segolily Written Aug 4, 2007

Ending our tour of abbaye Mont St Michel as the bells were tolling for vespers we backtracked to the cathedral and were able to join in evening services. The beautiful old stones reverbrated with harmony as the participants offered up prayer in song, chant and word. There were only about 10 of us sitting on the benches. It was ultimately one of the highlights of our trip. A moment in time when we left behind the present and were caught up in the glory of many years of tradition and worship. It was quite sublime.

wandering the cloisters

• jpejza's Profile Photo

A movie

by jpejza Updated Mar 17, 2007

There is a movie, Mindwalk (1990) starring Sam Waterston, Liv Ullman, and John Heard which was filmed at Mont St. Michel. It's a very philosophical movie about their philosophies of life. Not a movie which appeals to everyone, but it was fascinating to me as a scientist and philosopher.

• "Off The Beaten Track" -or- "Must See Activity"

by bobyn Updated Aug 7, 2004

Is this an "Off The Beaten Track" or is it a "Must See Activity"?? I'm gonna add to both. I hope that is ok!? This place is very pretty. If you can let your imagination flow here, then you can give yourself a magical trip as you wind up the Mont. A narrow roadway/walkway winds up with little souvenir and craft shops dotted along your root. Plus, people live here (I think), so there are normal everyday activities going on around you also. Its a little like a Land at the top of Enid Blytons Magic Faraway Tree. At the top, there is the monks Abbey, nice old stone building to explore, and a roof garden, plus a view of the surrounding area when you go outside. It's a little out of the way. We drove here. I don't think that any trains run up here, (not sure) though I reckon that there are probably buses and bus tours also. These should be findable by some other members tip/on the net.

Mont St. Michel

Venture to the island?

by Bada-Ran Written Jul 17, 2004

That's the islands people goes up to. As you can see on the photo, it's not what I'd say "near"

I think I was less than halfway there when I took the pic, and there was already people at the shore of the island. if I hadn't had to meet my friens early after the pic I would have made it myself. But I had to go back.

• Bada-Ran's Profile Photo

Detail of the low tide sea

by Bada-Ran Written Jul 17, 2004

What you see on the picture is not water, but mud, or sand, or muddy sand.

At places it even seemed quicksands, my feet going down on each step.

A useful tip: when walking on that ground, take off your shoes, sandals, sneackers. Barefeet is the best.

Explore the waterless land

by Bada-Ran Written Jul 17, 2004

When the tide is at it's lowest level, quite a lot of people venture onto the waterless grounds of the sea.

Some even reach an island at a respectable distance inside. That adventure can be dangerous when the tide starts to it's climb up, and we were said some unconscious tourists were caught by surprise, some even died!

Well, I started that walk. On soft sands, until I had a great and different view of the Mont Saint Michel. That's what I caught from there.

The picture seems to be taken from over the sea, but all wet soil you can see is only wet, there is no water at all!

Mont Saint Michel from the sea.

• morgane1692's Profile Photo

More *off to the side* rather than OTBP

by morgane1692 Written Aug 3, 2003

As you begin your meandering walk up the twisty lane and stairways which lead to the abbey itself, you might do yourself a favor and pay a visit to the tourism office. Just at the top of these little steps here, the office is staffed by knowledgeable people who if nothing else will set you straight about the crazy bus schedule! And imagine that during the really high tides, the waters lap up those steps and even reach the office door! That's what they say, anyway.

on a dry day you can see the salt flats!

Instant Answers: Mont Saint Michel

Comments

Mont Saint Michel Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Mont Saint Michel off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mont Saint Michel sightseeing.

View all Mont Saint Michel hotels