Mont Saint Michel Off The Beaten Path

Skellig Michael
    by JLBG
    Sacra di San Michele
    by JLBG
    The inclined plane (for the winch)
    by vinc_bilb

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Mont Saint Michel

Venture to the island?

by Bada-Ran Written Jul 17, 2004

That's the islands people goes up to. As you can see on the photo, it's not what I'd say "near"

I think I was less than halfway there when I took the pic, and there was already people at the shore of the island. if I hadn't had to meet my friens early after the pic I would have made it myself. But I had to go back.

• Bada-Ran's Profile Photo

Detail of the low tide sea

by Bada-Ran Written Jul 17, 2004

What you see on the picture is not water, but mud, or sand, or muddy sand.

At places it even seemed quicksands, my feet going down on each step.

A useful tip: when walking on that ground, take off your shoes, sandals, sneackers. Barefeet is the best.

Explore the waterless land

by Bada-Ran Written Jul 17, 2004

Mont Saint Michel from the sea.

When the tide is at it's lowest level, quite a lot of people venture onto the waterless grounds of the sea.

Some even reach an island at a respectable distance inside. That adventure can be dangerous when the tide starts to it's climb up, and we were said some unconscious tourists were caught by surprise, some even died!

Well, I started that walk. On soft sands, until I had a great and different view of the Mont Saint Michel. That's what I caught from there.

The picture seems to be taken from over the sea, but all wet soil you can see is only wet, there is no water at all!

• morgane1692's Profile Photo

More *off to the side* rather than OTBP

by morgane1692 Written Aug 3, 2003

on a dry day you can see the salt flats!

As you begin your meandering walk up the twisty lane and stairways which lead to the abbey itself, you might do yourself a favor and pay a visit to the tourism office. Just at the top of these little steps here, the office is staffed by knowledgeable people who if nothing else will set you straight about the crazy bus schedule! And imagine that during the really high tides, the waters lap up those steps and even reach the office door! That's what they say, anyway.

Instant Answers: Mont Saint Michel

Comments

Mont Saint Michel Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Mont Saint Michel off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mont Saint Michel sightseeing.

View all Mont Saint Michel hotels