Orbec-en-Auge Travel Guide

Orbec-en-Auge Restaurants

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo
    Au Caneton Restaurant 2 more images

by Beausoleil Updated Feb 24, 2011

There is a photo of the front of the restaurant on my Introduction to Orbec page so here is one I shot inside. It was cold, windy and rainy the day we visited and there was a fire in the fireplace and just a few local people there for lunch. The staff was very friendly as were the other patrons. Everyone seemed determined to enjoy themselves despite the weather . . . and I think we all did.

Favorite Dish: Here's my journal entry for the lunch.

"We both ordered the Menu des Affaires (business lunch) at 19 euros and both of us chose salmon fumée, leg of duck in cider sauce, two cheeses and flan with baked apple.

The amuse bouche arrived as warm, cheese-filled pastries. The saumon fumée was accompanied by toast and was excellent. The duck had a magnificent gravy made with cider . . . but the meat was tough and hard to cut. The flavor saved it, but I’d not order it there again. We each chose different cheeses just so we could sample four. All were excellent. The dessert was magnificent . . . a melt-in-your-mouth flan with apple slices baked until the edges caramelized. It was the best part of the meal. Coffee was also top notch."

I'm not sure why the duck wasn't tender because usually if you order a special, it is terrific nearly anyplace. Perhaps they didn't think many people would come because of the weather. My husband usually orders fish and if we return, I'll probably order a fish. The duck did taste good, just not very tender . . .

• Architecture

Instant Answers: Orbec-en-Auge

Comments

Orbec-en-Auge Travel Guide
Map of Orbec-en-Auge