Ancy-le-Franc Travel Guide

  • good place to stop
    good place to stop
    by pedroswift
  • Ancy-le-Franc
    by pedroswift
  • The Main Street
    The Main Street
    by hquittner

Ancy-le-Franc Things to Do

  • mariev's Profile Photo

    by mariev Updated Apr 4, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Abundant clay, forests, and the relative proximity of Nevers (great faience center since the XVIth century), decided Charles César Tellier de Louvois in 1765 to create a ceramic's manufacture in his castle of Ancy le Franc.

    The local earthenware with decorations (flowered, geometrical, patriotic, animals...) was strongly influenced by what was produced in Tournai and became common in the area (also more specific blue patterns, called "Bleu d'Ancy").
    Parallel to the ceramic's production some attempts at china's production were done but without great results.

    During the Revolution, the activity stopped and begun again around 1800, near the Porte de Perreuse, but declined soon again to close in 1808.

    Today, from the earlier factory, subsists only a building at the 57-59 Grande Rue (albeit very transformed) and another one, divided into dwellings on the 62 of the same street. But you can still see fine examples of the past production in a small museum located in the former factory's place (now hosting the local tourism office) .

    Open every day from 9h to 12h and from 14h to 17h between november and march - 10h-13h and 14h-18h in summer.
    Free entry (guided visits possible on request : 1€)

    Samples of Typical Ancy ceramic Bleu d'Ancy, 2nd era Tournai's influence The faiencerie's location in the village
    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Museum Visits
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • hquittner's Profile Photo

    by hquittner Written Sep 18, 2008

    There are extensive grounds (said to be by Le Notre) including a Folly and an artificial cascade. There is also an antique car museum.

    Cascade Folly Exit
    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Seniors

    Was this review helpful?

  • hquittner's Profile Photo

    by hquittner Written Sep 18, 2008

    Primaticcio was engaged to do the interiors of the chateau. He and his disciples (Abbate and others) worked long and hard and the results are the equal of Fontainebleau. There are 25 rooms in all but we did not see them all. Unfortunately there is nothing to carry away except vague memories. While we were being collected for the tour in a coach house, there were a few of similar type in poor repair that could be reproduced and a 19C freize that was somewhat quaint. Does this suffice? (It is privately owned and I do not think they care in spite of pretensions; there must be a hidden tax-break somewhere).

    Wall Paintings Nude(?) Freize
    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Seniors

    Was this review helpful?

Ancy-le-Franc Transportation

  • mariev's Profile Photo

    by mariev Updated Jul 15, 2007

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Ancy-le-Franc doesn't have a railway station or a bus service.
    The closest train stations are Tonnerre (18km) and Montbard (TGV - 21km).

    From there, to reach Ancy you have to take a taxi or to rent a car (there is a SIXT agency in Montbard, none in Tonnerre).

    For taxis :

    From Ancy
    TIVANT Gisèle - Perrigny sur Armançon - phone: 03 86 55 70 85
    LAMBERT Willy - Ancy le Franc (Cusy) - phone: 03 86 75 04 56
    SANTINI Joseph - Ravières - phone : 03 86 55 95 13

    From Tonnerre :
    Taxis Juillet : phone - 03 86 55 36 36

    From Montbard :
    Allo Taxi Jusufi - phone : 03 80 92 31 49
    Ristat Jean-Louis - phone : 03 80 92 04 79

    Another solution is to take a bicycle: the ride from Tonnerre to Ancy, along the Armançon is pretty (and flat) (you can also take the D905, a bit shorter but hilly).

    By car : D905 from Tonnerre.

    Was this review helpful?

Ancy-le-Franc Off The Beaten Path

  • mariev's Profile Photo

    by mariev Updated Apr 4, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Among the Tonnerrois' region attractions are its washhouses; there even a washhouses tour (with Noyers, Argenteuil, Cuzy, Cry,...).

    If you are at the Ancy's tourism office/ceramic museum, go up the street (perpendicular to the Grand rue), the washhouse (lavoir) is on the left.

    It was built in 1830 and renovated in 2000.
    The most interesting features are the 12 pillars and the impluvium type roof.

    Inside the washhouse The watergate from the opposite side
    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

Ancy-le-Franc Favorites

  • mariev's Profile Photo

    by mariev Updated Jul 14, 2007

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Favorite thing: Ancy le Franc may be small but it is a touristic destination, and as such it has a tourism office :

    Office du tourisme
    59, Grande rue, 89160 ANCY-LE-FRANC
    phone 03.86.75.03.15
    fax : 03.86.75.04.41
    mail : ot.ancylefranc@wanadoo.fr
    website : http://www.tourisme.fr/office-de-tourisme/ancy-le-franc.htm

    Open :
    - from october to end march : from monday to friday from 9h00 to 12h330 and from 13h00 to 17h00
    - in summer : 7/7 from 10h00 to 13h00 and from 14h00 to 18h00.

    Fondest memory: There is nice small ceramics museum in the tourism office, a good complement to a visit to the renaissance castle

    The tourism office at the end of the street
    Related to:
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Ancy-le-Franc

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

95 travelers online now

Comments

Ancy-le-Franc Travel Guide
Map of Ancy-le-Franc

View all Ancy-le-Franc hotels