Auxerre Shopping

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Coutellerie Gouvernante: Knives and kitchenware

by ATLC Updated Sep 8, 2013

FRANCE LAGUIOLE KNIVES

The shop window is delightful. Lovely kitchenware and quality knives. But when you go inside it's even better. A shop crammed with goods. Nothing fancy and rather small. But they have the most wonderful stuff. Madame et Monsieur know everything about what ever they sell.

Laguiole is not a brand so you need to watch out for bad quality (as in buying online).
    Price is an indication!
    You may want to read more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laguiole_knife

What to buy: So after long discussion and deliberation and looking at about 10 sets of Laguiole steak knives, I decided on a set of 6 with rosewood. Something I wished to own since I was not yet twenty.

I also own an engraved Laguiole pocket knife that I take everywhere I go. Great for picnics, my packed lunch at work and the odd job of cutting stuff.

What to pay: € 200 for a set of six handmade knives.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Caves de Bailly: Buy bubbly

by ATLC Written May 5, 2003

Everyone knows champagne. It's usually a rare treat.
    But outside the Champagne region, very fine bubblies are made too. Exactly the same process, and the same grapes (Chardonnay) but not allowed to be called champagne.
    So it is called crémant.
    For instance Crémant de Bourgogne or d'Alsace.

I get my lovely Crémant by the box full at a cave near Auxerre (see my Bailly page).

• Wine Tasting

Instant Answers: Auxerre

Comments

Auxerre Shopping

Reviews and photos of Auxerre shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Auxerre sightseeing.