Piqu'boeuf, Beaune

2 rue Madeleine, 21200 Beaune 03.80.24.07.52

Piqu'Boeuf grill.
    by breughel
  • breughel's Profile Photo

Piqu'boeuf: Charolais beef from the grill

by breughel Updated Mar 15, 2011

Piqu'Boeuf grill.

I would like to confirm a very positive review here of this restaurant PIQU'BŒUF located on the circular boulevard. From the centre of Beaune it is at about 5 minutes walking.

It is mainly a grill restaurant but not only.
    What is special is that the grill does not burn charcoal but wood on a vertical setting. The live embers are then used on a normal horizontal grill.
    The radiant heat is coming from the flames of the burning wood branches in the back and the embers under the horizontal grill. I must add that it was warm at the tables in the room near the fireplace.

We first had lunch here. Six escargots de Bourgogne as starter followed by chicken "poulet de Bresse" for my wife and "rognons" (kidneys) for me with "pomme de terre en papillotte" a potato from the grill.

We came back in the evening; we did well to reserve because the restaurant (with several rooms) was full.
    There are two menus with four courses one at 20 € (tax and service included) and another at 27 €. Here we started with a "Gratiné d'époisses" (époisses is one of the best French cheeses, creamy, fantastic flavour and stinking from outside. Don't touch with your fingers!) then a "Rumsteak Charolais aux trois poivres" from the grill "saignant" like the meat should be, a plate with two cheeses from Burgundy to end with "Crèpe suzette à l'orange". The portions were generous.
    There is a menu with 5 courses including "Foie gras" and "Noix de St Jacques" at 37 €.

Service was efficient and kind. I don't know if the waitresses speak English, most people were French plus some Belgian tourists.
    Red wine from Burgundy was on the expensive side - as usual in Beaune I would say - average prices between 25 - 40 €. It is possible to get wine by glass. As aperitif I kept to a simple but good Crémant de Bougogne (sparkling wine) at 4 €/flute.

Closed on Tuesday and Wednesday.

• Chickytrick's Profile Photo

PIQU' BOEUF: A restaurant in cow's stile

by Chickytrick Written Oct 26, 2013

Excellent, restaurant specialised on steaks. Honest good food. I'm not actually a meat-eater at all, but I have to admit that my lunch and dinner in this place both were great. Service is good.

Interior is interesting, it is all done in a theme of cows' life. Fun!

And what is also important the food is not expensive.

MIND: the restaurant is popular, you'd better make a reservation.

CLOSED on Tuesdays and Wednesdays

Favorite Dish: steak

• nitrofan's Profile Photo

Piqu,Boeuf: Dont Miss the Charolaise beef steak

by nitrofan Written Aug 4, 2006

I have been going to this restaurant for about 8 years, in this time it has grown from a small single dining room to a superb place on two floors. it is owned and run by a husband and wife team, she runs front of house and he runs the kitchen.

In al my many visits I have NEVER has a duff meal, they simply would not tolerate it! The fact they have many locals as regulars backs up this ongoing commitment to quality.

The restaurant specializes in grills over a wood fire “sur feu de bois” in the restaurant in cooler weather, and a grill in the kitchen when the weather warms up.
    Their speciality is grilling the local Charolaise beef this is the best meat I have ever tasted tender tasty and devine! they also produce a wide range of traditional local dishes.
    The cheese board will be a mixture of traditional favorites and local specialties try it you might not know what you get but Madame will be more than happy to engage in a conversation discussing the merits of each and every mouthful!
    The deserts are numerous, filling and hard to resist!

Their wine list is huge and of the very best quality but I have to recommend their house selection ask the sommelier if you can’t find it amongst their other superb offerings.

As you me be able to tell I love this place I hope you will as well.

Favorite Dish: The Beef