Vézelay Restaurants

La Dente Creuse Restaurant in Vezelay
    Sign on the main street
    by Beausoleil
    Story of the restaurant name on the menu

Most Recent Restaurants in Vézelay

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

La Dente Creuse: Terrace or inside, your choice

by Beausoleil Written Aug 22, 2009

La Dente Creuse Restaurant in Vezelay

We parked near Hotel de la Post where the tour buses had left a few parking places and checked several menus. None suited so we started up into town where we found La Dent Creuse with an upstairs view terrace . . . sunny and empty . . . and a downstairs dining room nearly full of French elders from one of the buses.

Being elders, they were well behaved and reasonably quiet so we settled in a corner by the front window and had a lovely lunch. There was a very young French couple beside us who probably would have been on the terrace upstairs if the weather had been more kind; it was very warm for May.

E-mail the restaurant at dentcreuse-vezelay@wanadoo.fr]

Favorite Dish: The hot goat cheese salad was a fresh local cheese and excellent. The roasted chicken was done to perfection and falling off the bone. There was a half tomato stuffed with farine accompanied by cooked snow peas which were fine. There was also a huge serving of frites we chose to ignore. A nearby lady had potatoes Dauphinois and we were jealous.

Then dessert came . . . tarte au chocolat with vanilla ice cream and Chantilly. Wow! It was fondant-au-chocolat in a tart crust with a delicious dark chocolate sauce. We forgave the fries!

• Architecture
    • Religious Travel

• saracen's Profile Photo

L'Esperance: Great Service and Interesting Food

by saracen Written Oct 29, 2006
    Chicken and Lobster - Surprisingly Tasty

It is not every day I go to a 3 star Michelin restaurant, but as I was invited by a client company, I assumed it would be rude to refuse. Forgive me for being a bit wordy about it…

Service was outstanding – there must have been one member of staff for each diner, although it was surprisingly quiet so maybe that was why we were so well looked after.

We were initially shown into a lounge for drinks (the local beer was very, very good and very, very strong). We were then presented with individual plates of some wonderful canapés plus an explanation of in which order they should be eaten (not a haughty, snooty explanation, more friendly). The chicken in aspic was particularly memorable for the intensity of the flavour.

After 20 minutes or so, we proceeded to the dining room where we were again treated with the utmost hospitality.

The starter of deep fried potato puree filled with caviar cream and served with caviar ice cream was a bit of a surprise to me, an avowed hater of all seafood, as it was actually not too bad. I wouldn’t jump at the chance to have it again, but it was very pleasant and not overpowering.

The main course, chicken and lobster with a asparagus jus and creamy risotto was also very good, although the risotto was a bit too rich for me.

This was followed by numerous other things small and tasty, all the time being accompanied by a never ending series of wines specially picked for each course.

The whole experience was of a luxurious treat that one could not have too often, because of both the price (I assume several hundred euros per head) and the calorific intake, but it does one good now and again.

As it was on a company account, I was tempted to have the special 1830 armangac at 250 euros a shot, but I thought that would just be greedy.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Lunch: Lunch

by ATLC Written Dec 16, 2003

VEZELAY

There are plenty of restaurants in Vezelay. We were a bit late, so there wasn't much choice left. But delicous salad, some chicken and chips and a cool drink are all you need.

Instant Answers: Vézelay

Comments

Vézelay Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Vézelay restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Vézelay sightseeing.