Douarnenez Travel Guide

  • out to sea at Port Rhu
    out to sea at Port Rhu
    by gwened
  • look from island of port Rhu to city of Douarnenez
    look from island of port Rhu to city of...
    by gwened
  • entrance port musée
    entrance port musée
    by gwened

Douarnenez Things to Do

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    by gwened Updated Dec 27, 2013

    a wonderfully rich Church in the neighborhood of Ploaré in city center Douarnenez, before the port and tourist office.

    I have an exterior tip with all the information as well as here in duplicate for the interior.

    a bit of history

    The construction of this Gothic style building began in 1548 the nave, the walls of the bottom and the South porch. But, because of the wars of the League between protestants and Catholics.
    works were interrupted to take on again in 1603 with the completion of the arrow in 1693 and some pinnacles. In 1736. The 65 meeter high tower is inspired by École Saint-Herbot and is one of the highest in Finistére. The building has undergone several times lightning over the centuries
    including in 1751, where two pinnacles have been demolished. The Church Saint-Herle is built on a cross Latin basilica plan: a transept and a nave with low ribs.

    The building is composed of 4 side altarpieces and a
    central altarpiece.
    -The retable of the Rosary, located in the north transept consists of a painted canvas titled "the battle" Lepanto. This painting made in 1640 by the quimperlois painter Rome ranked since 1968. It
    represents the Virgin with the child giving the Rosary Saint Dominic and Saint Catherine of Siena.
    In the background is represented the battle of Lepanto, naval battle which took place in 1571 Against the Turks, won by dom Juan of Austria. The altarpiece is also home to Saint - polychrome wooden statues Dominique and the Virgin Mother.
    -The altarpiece of the south transept, includes "The descent from the cross" canvas that has been
    offered by Napoleon III and two wooden polychrome statues: the Virgin Mary and Mary
    Madeleine.
    -The Sainte-Anne reredos contains Group-Sainte-Anne and the Virgin in the centre and then the
    statues of Saint-Isidore and Saint-Antoine. The statues are separated by columns decorated with plant motifs.
    -The statues Saint-Yves, Saint-Herbot and Saint-Eloi occupy the South side altarpiece.
    -The high altar and reredos: it dates from the 17th century and has a double tabernacle: 1
    has a door decorated with a lamb while a monstrance figure on top. Several
    carved designs (garlands of plants, birds, putti *) are present on all
    all that is surrounded at the ends by 2 angels in polychrome wood.

    In addition to those of the altarpieces, the building houses several other wooden statues
    polychrome.
    -Saint-Herle (17C: located in a niche of the apse. He is wearing the dalmatic
    liturgical garment of deacons. In the left hand, he wears the open Bible and in
    right, a Palm, symbol of the martyrs.
    -Sainte-Trinité (17C): located in a niche of the apse. God the father carries on its
    knees the body of her son. It is surmounted by the dove of the Holy Spirit. God the father is
    wearing the tiara, hair of the Popes. He has the arm lifted as a sign of desperation.
    -Sainte-Anne and Mary (17C): the statue is located above the entrance to the porch
    South.
    St. Joseph (17C): it is a Palm in the right hand.
    -Virgin any Grace (17C): it is located facing Saint-Joseph.
    -Virgin of the Liberation: stone statue present in the Church since the early 1990s.
    Previously, it was located in a chapel at Brehuel.

    From 1864, a gradual replacement of the canopies campaign due to a
    sealing problems will start by setting up in the north transept of stained glass panels of the Virgin and in the south transept of 4 evangelists. The latter has been created by l'Atelier Lusson in Paris. Then in 1889, 2 windows with grisaille * of Lee will be installed in the north transept. Then wait, 1909, to see the installation of stained-glass windows of the workshop Lavergne "Our Lady of comfort appearing to. Michel Le Nobletz» and «farewell of Michel Le Nobletz. Stained glass destroyed during the departure of Nazi troops on August 7, 1944 were replaced by 5 canopies of
    Lagos in 1954, 3 are located in the bedside and the other 2 in the choir.

    Indeed a Worth the detour Church while in town.

    altar of church Saint Herl�� the nave of church St Herl�� the back or front door rosary window the altarpiece of the Child and the Virgin altarpiece of Saint Herl��
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    by gwened Written Dec 27, 2013

    This is a nice Church right in the middle of town main road coming in, on the neighborhood of Ploaré and near the fishing harbor area.

    a bit of history
    The construction of this Gothic style building began in 1548 the nave, the walls of the bottom and the South porch. But, because of the wars of the League between protestants and Catholics.
    works were interrupted to take on again in 1603 with the completion of the arrow in 1693 and some pinnacles. In 1736. The 65 meeter high tower is inspired by École Saint-Herbot and is one of the highest in Finistére. The building has undergone several times lightning over the centuries
    including in 1751, where two pinnacles have been demolished. The Church Saint-Herle is built on a cross Latin basilica plan: a transept and a nave with low ribs.

    The building is composed of 4 side altarpieces and a
    central altarpiece.
    -The retable of the Rosary, located in the north transept consists of a painted canvas titled "the battle" Lepanto. This painting made in 1640 by the quimperlois painter Rome ranked since 1968. It
    represents the Virgin with the child giving the Rosary Saint Dominic and Saint Catherine of Siena.
    In the background is represented the battle of Lepanto, naval battle which took place in 1571 Against the Turks, won by dom Juan of Austria. The altarpiece is also home to Saint - polychrome wooden statues Dominique and the Virgin Mother.
    -The altarpiece of the south transept, includes "The descent from the cross" canvas that has been
    offered by Napoleon III and two wooden polychrome statues: the Virgin Mary and Mary
    Madeleine.
    -The Sainte-Anne reredos contains Group-Sainte-Anne and the Virgin in the centre and then the
    statues of Saint-Isidore and Saint-Antoine. The statues are separated by columns decorated with plant motifs.
    -The statues Saint-Yves, Saint-Herbot and Saint-Eloi occupy the South side altarpiece.
    -The high altar and reredos: it dates from the 17th century and has a double tabernacle: 1
    has a door decorated with a lamb while a monstrance figure on top. Several
    carved designs (garlands of plants, birds, putti *) are present on all
    all that is surrounded at the ends by 2 angels in polychrome wood.

    In addition to those of the altarpieces, the building houses several other wooden statues
    polychrome.
    -Saint-Herle (17C: located in a niche of the apse. He is wearing the dalmatic
    liturgical garment of deacons. In the left hand, he wears the open Bible and in
    right, a Palm, symbol of the martyrs.
    -Sainte-Trinité (17C): located in a niche of the apse. God the father carries on its
    knees the body of her son. It is surmounted by the dove of the Holy Spirit. God the father is
    wearing the tiara, hair of the Popes. He has the arm lifted as a sign of desperation.
    -Sainte-Anne and Mary (17C): the statue is located above the entrance to the porch
    South.
    St. Joseph (17C): it is a Palm in the right hand.
    -Virgin any Grace (17C): it is located facing Saint-Joseph.
    -Virgin of the Liberation: stone statue present in the Church since the early 1990s.
    Previously, it was located in a chapel at Brehuel.

    From 1864, a gradual replacement of the canopies campaign due to a
    sealing problems will start by setting up in the north transept of stained glass panels of the Virgin and in the south transept of 4 evangelists. The latter has been created by l'Atelier Lusson in Paris. Then in 1889, 2 windows with grisaille * of Lee will be installed in the north transept. Then wait, 1909, to see the installation of stained-glass windows of the workshop Lavergne "Our Lady of comfort appearing to. Michel Le Nobletz» and «farewell of Michel Le Nobletz. Stained glass destroyed during the departure of Nazi troops on August 7, 1944 were replaced by 5 canopies of
    Lagos in 1954, 3 are located in the bedside and the other 2 in the choir.

    Indeed a Worth the detour Church while in town.

    Church of Saint Herl�� right side of church of St Herl�� left side of Saint Herl�� side main entrance to Saint Herl�� panel of historic fervor front of St Herl��
    Related to:
    • Religious Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    by gwened Written Dec 27, 2013

    the museum of the harbor or port musée retraces the history of sardine fishing of the town and area, with expositions, paintings, videos and really neat real boats Inside the museum!!!

    it is of course by the port area of port Rhu, signs well posted to it as the Port Musée in town.

    a unique look into the past history of the town and great educational visit by the whole family, admission is about 7,50€ adults.from april to october otherwise is 5,50€

    opening hours
    July and August , everyday from 10h-19h
    April, May, June, and September,October from 10h-12h30 and 14h-18h – Closed Mondays except school vacations
    February to March and Christmas vacations only museum not the boat exhibits from 10h-12h30 and 14h-18h – Closed Mondays except school vacations
    For security the boats are closed during winter periods

    entrance port mus��e inside main hall boats and exhibits double decker passarelle on expositoins and boats the boats in repairs old at expo the side of the museum facing place de l'enfer
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Museum Visits
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

Douarnenez Hotels

Douarnenez Restaurants

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    by gwened Written Dec 27, 2013

    Looking for a place to eat after meandering by car in the region, we finally landed here without knowing the place or reservation. It was a pleasant surprise.

    The Italian family natives owners were very friendly and the food was great , better than home lol!
    The place is decorated in white and red, with nice tables and the kitchen counter right overlooking the tables.

    very airy ,lighted place and nice local ambiance right across the local bus stop and the tourist office.

    Favorite Dish: we had pizzas of course, calabrese, du chef,kebab, and parma hams with a little of red chianti italiano and expresso coffee for 15€ per person, great deal
    pizza sizes were over the large circular plate abundante!! mamma mia!

    resto pizzeria Da Franco inside Da Franco the menu Da Franco my calabrese pizza the pizza du chef!
    Related to:
    • Wine Tasting
    • Food and Dining
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

Douarnenez Transportation

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    by gwened Written Dec 27, 2013

    Is it coastal Finistére and as such the car is king here. the best once on the expressway N165 (no tolls) from Quimper you get off at exit for Quimper Nord, then at signs Park Poullig» (3rd exit/sortie) direction Douarnenez ( for about another 25 km).
    I ,also, go from me on the N165 but get off at the D770 exit direction Locronan/Douarnenez, and get on the D100 and quick on the D765 direction Douarnenez.
    see the route planner
    www.viamichelin.com

    as we came from Locronan, the road D7 takes you there too.see photos

    From long ago it has no train nor bus station as all is centralise in Quimper. bus connection from Quimper here at the dept transport site dept 29
    http://www.viaoo29.fr/
    bus Line 51 - Douarnenez-Quimper Tarifs : 2 € (1,50 € for those Under 25)

    you have the local bus service
    Tud'Bus
    you have the new schedules for 2014, school periods and Saturdays/weekends
    http://www.lecoeur.fr/index.php/urbain_horaire

    you have plenty of taxis in the area,
    Taxi Bariou-Severac
    02.98.74.29.39
    06.99.62.75.82
    29100 Douarnenez

    Allo taxi Lokorn
    02.98.74.71.60
    06.80.30.36.34
    29100 Douarnenez

    Taxi Azur
    02.98.92.93.94
    29100 Douarnenez

    ABC Taxi Douarnenez
    06 07 19 42 08
    contact-abc@neuf.fr
    http://www.abc-taxi-douarnenez.fr
    29100 Douarnenez

    Taxi Peuziat
    02 98 74 14 14
    29100 Douarnenez

    you can rent bikes at
    Etablissement Stéphan -dealer MBK
    Contact
    02.98.92.72.97
    email: stephan-mbk@wanadoo.fr
    Location in town at 87 rue Louis Pasteur - 29100 Douarnenez

    local bus stop at pl Edouard Vaillant fr tourist offce the bus depot pl Edouard Vaillant entering beach kervel on the D7 entering on Douarnenez the beach at Kervel on D7
    Related to:
    • Beaches
    • Trains
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

Douarnenez Off The Beaten Path

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    by gwened Written Dec 27, 2013

    an imposing Church just on the way out of town we caught it. Built from 1873 to 1877 so quite modern for French standards. Located at 10, rue Ernest Renan
    Building of a Latin cross, like a Basilica type, three vessels and six bays. Chorus radiating from the ambulatory flanked by three apses and two sacristies of rectangular plan, South and North.

    Bell Tower, porches South and North, located at the level of the fourth span, off-work. Tower-porch flanked by two octagonal turrets (stairs and weight of l´horloge), with massive topped pink heck listed in a broken arc, openwork Gallery and four gables at the base of the octagonal Spire. High nave with cross d´ogives, lit by registered oculi in a broken arc, above d´un false triforium. Ribs of the vault resting on capitals, at height of the tall windows, brick supported by balusters committed funds. Arcades in arch resting on pillars with engaged columns surmounted by capitals foliage. Collateral covered with vaults d´aretes separated by the timbers in stone. Works in white granite covered d´enduit rubble. Granite stone similar to berries frames and the Western massif. Slabs of granite-covered ground.

    Church of Sacre-Coeur
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Religious Travel
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

Douarnenez Favorites

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    by gwened Written Dec 27, 2013

    Favorite thing: As in any town, walking is the best way to know the city and I do so in every one i go. This one Douarnenez is spread out, from the one end of kervel to the port Rhu ,but is doable, we did it.

    The one we like the most is the fishing port area and the Port Rhu harbor with the harbormaster area and the port musée (see tip) around the corner.

    Fondest memory: walk on the port area around Port Rhu

    the pleasure marina just under the bridge along the pleasure boat marina to the bridge the harbormaster or capitanerie the fleet at harbor
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Fishing

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Douarnenez

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

29 travelers online now

Comments

Douarnenez Travel Guide
Map of Douarnenez

View all Douarnenez hotels