Fougères Favorites

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Gardens with a view

by sue_stone Written Jul 26, 2006

pretty gardens

Favorite thing: There are some lovely public gardens located in the upper town of Fougeres. You will find them just behind the Eglise St-Leonard.

The gardens are beautifully maintained and a great place to relax for a while. From here there are fabulous views down to the lower town and castle.

Fondest memory: You can actually walk down the steep hill, through the gardens, and into the lower town to visit the castle and have a wander amongst the medieval half-timbered houses below.

Fougères - a charming city in Bretagne

by Carmanah Updated Sep 2, 2002

A Foug��res brochure I received

Favorite thing: When you're travelling through France, learn about the towns you visit! Even if you're not a packrat, pick up the free brochures and pamphlets each town and historical site offers to tourists. It usually provides background history on where you're visiting - things that you might not discover if you were to just walk around and explore without any other sources of information. Here's a brochure on Fougeres that the family I stayed with gave to me when I arrived. 'Fougeres - A town of art & history, Fougeres - a varied heritage'.

by Carmanah Updated Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: is getting in the local Fougeres newspaper! When I got back home, I received a postcard and a letter from the Renard family. Apparently our school visiting their school was newsworthy ;) and hey, quite frankly, I completely agree with them! (BTW - click on the picture - I'm in it!)

by Carmanah Updated Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: was just being there! And on a completely other note, here's a picture of the teachers that brought us to France: M. Powell, Mme Tremblay, M. Gaulin, and Mme Leptich (all standing in the parking lot of Terese St.Pierre school)

by Carmanah Written Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: was visiting the school Terese St-Pierre the second full day we were in Fougeres. I was able to sit in during their English class. The teacher assigned us to read parts of a book to her class so her students could hear a 'proper English accent' - of course, once we started to read, the students looked confused and looked up at their teacher with questioning eyes, almost as if to say, 'are you SURE that's a proper accent?!' The teacher then chuckled and told us, 'They're used to hearing accents from England, they're not used to hearing Canadian accents'. It was rather funny all together. We were able to tour around the entire school, and we also had lunch at their cafeteria. Here's a picture of the Canadian students and the students of Terese St-Pierre infront of the school before we left.

by Carmanah Updated Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: staying with the Renard family. Here was the bedroom that I shared with Charline and Morgane. In fact, there's a picture of Morgane on the wall to the left of my bed. I really appreciated how much they made me feel at home. When I arrived, there were even dolls on my pillow. How cute! :)

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

remember that 'A Fougeres, on...

by Carmanah Updated Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: remember that 'A Fougeres, on est comme ca!' This was part of a gift given to me by the Renard family. It's a sticker (though looking a bit more raggedy than I remember). This basically means that, 'In Fougeres, we're like this!' - and the Britanny region in France is shaped like a thumbs up sign, hence the thumbs up! And it really is true! In Fougeres, they ARE like that!

by Carmanah Written Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: is waking up to go to school with Charline, and realizing how beautiful the surroundings really were. (Keep in mind I arrived here first at night after dark, so I had no idea where exactly I was). It was gorgeous, that crisp October morning with the fog rolling ove the hills and the cows munching the grass across the street. It was such a relaxing, comforting environment.

by Carmanah Written Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: was staying with the Renard family in their country-side home nearby Fougeres. They were such a happy, caring family that made me feel like one of their own. Here's Nadine, 4-year-old Coralie, Charline and Yves. Their older daughter Morgane and their baby Lucille aren't in the picture. I stayed with them for 3 nights and it was wonderful! They really made me feel at home.

Exploring Fougeres in Bretagne

by Carmanah Written Aug 24, 2002

Resting in Fougeres with my friends

Fondest memory: was just sitting on the steps infront of the church in Fougeres, waiting to find out our next destination. We had spent the entire day touring the castle in Fougeres, the church and the nearby gardens. We were all exhausted, which explains why we're relaxing and joking around on these steps. These moments were always fun. (By the way, I'm the girl in the white Fougeres t-shirt)

explore the lesser-visited...

by Carmanah Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: explore the lesser-visited towns and the lesser-known buildings. Here's a beautiful church situated at the top of the hill in Fougeres. The gardens surrounding this church were extremely beautiful and well-looked after.

by Carmanah Updated Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: happened the first full day I was in Fougeres. We toured the castle in the morning and afternoon. It was a gorgeous mid-October day, casting a soft orange light on the buildings and plants. The warmth of this part of the country will always be strong in my mind.

Photo: Here I am standing on the wall of the chateau de Fougeres, with the church in the background.

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

learn about the local economy!...

by Carmanah Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: learn about the local economy! Ok, I admit, this really isn't a 'must' - but here's a brochure illustrating Fougeres' main industries! Yes, for those who thrive by stereotypes, France's economy is more than just wine and cheese...

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

learn about all the events...

by Carmanah Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: learn about all the events happening in the towns that you visit. This brochure on Fougeres mentions their major tourist attractions, like their castles, boating activities, their jazz and music festivals, among other things.

• Carmanah's Profile Photo

get an idea for where all the...

by Carmanah Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: get an idea for where all the towns and cities are situated. Here we learn that Fougeres is only a 3 hour drive away from Paris, and only an hour to the coast!

Instant Answers: Fougères

Comments

Fougères Favorites

Reviews and photos of Fougères favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fougères sightseeing.