Unique Places in Bretagne

  • around the St you see the back of the Chapelle
    around the St you see the back of the...
    by gwened
  • chapelle Notre Dame des trois fontaines
    chapelle Notre Dame des trois fontaines
    by gwened
  • right side chapel with calvary to the right
    right side chapel with calvary to the...
    by gwened

Most Viewed Off The Beaten Path in Bretagne

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Chateau de Beauregard, St Avé

    by gwened Written Jun 14, 2014

    This is a private property now use for weddings, events, exhibits, birthdays, all sorts of events that can be rented out. However, it is on my way to work passing next to it and decided to take a look.

    You can come by off the national road N165 take the D779E exit direction /Grand Champ/Plescop/ St Avé, at traffic circle turn right into the D135b direction St Avé and down by the chapel of notre dame turn left direction St Nolff on the next traffic circle bear left and quick right for the castle entrance.

    This is a magnificent property with its flowery cour d’honneur , a majestic French garden of 3000m2 inspire by the master André Le Nôtre (Versailles amongst others), and a green well kept park of 40 hectares. It is a castle done in an L format from the 18-19C done from a former manoir or manor house from 1514. It was rebuilt in the 18C. The history of it of importance was that here the treaty of pacification of Brittany was signed in February 14 1800 between Georges Cadoudal (hero of Brittany) ,and Général Brune,of the French ,ending the chouannerie(the local farmers and country people of the area) in Morbihan.

    It is now use by wedding, events, exhibits, anniversary, family gathering , etc all for rental. You can have as much as 600 seated persons in one activity here. In all a wonderful property and one of the nice ones in the area.

    Chateau de Beauregard entrance arriving at Chateau de Beauregard the park entrance to the castle.private afterward.
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Castles and Palaces

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Chateau de Kerambar'h, Landaul

    by gwened Updated Jun 14, 2014

    this is a nice property near me, and finally stop by ! its like been back in the middle ages and coming to the renaissance in one sweep. For this year the castle is open
    April 19 to July 13 every day from 14h to 18h
    July 14 to August 31 every day from 11h to 18h
    September all days from 14h to 18h and October all days from 14h to 17h30
    you can visit the gardens for 8€ and if like to see the gallery of famous add 2€ adults fares.

    You can see the garden of medicinal plants , the vegetable garden or potager, the apple orchards or verger, the liturgic garden, and the garden of courteous pleasures.

    A bit of history I like
    At the time when Brittany was a sovereign country, the castle of Kerambar'h was a large House, evidenced by the thousand boulins of his loft. Around the Castle, the gardens have been reconstituted from medieval, plotted documents in the symmetry of the cross of St. George and St. Andrew, the geometry done in inches, feet and fathoms. The orchard and vegetable garden allowed to live in isolation. The liturgical Garden was to flourish the altar of the Chapel, the third flower reminder that in the middle ages, flowers symbolized the virtues. The "chapter" was aimed at the establishment of a perfect garden where side-by-side were medicinal plants and vegetables specific to the main organoleptic characters. Finally the garden of courtly pleasures was to uplift the spirit of the people of the places. The capitalary of Charlesmagne and portraits of all the dukes of Brittany from 1000AD to the 16C are Inside.

    These gardens are included in a square of 194 meters by 76 meters or 3 ha. The garden of courtly pleasures, garden for philosophers, poets, artists, including the course of Brittany were their refuge and especially between the 14C and 16C. Service gardens: orchard and vegetable garden, for the isolation of an important House in running order rendered in its image between the 13C and the 15C. Small symbolic gardens: the third flower, the liturgical garden. The medicinal Garden: Capitulary of Charlemagne, in tribute to his Adviser monk Alain and Charles the bald.

    There is lots of events and a popular wedding place for the locals.
    Its tricky to get to it as it is in the country off the N165 road get off at exit Landevant or 36.1 go first direction Landaul and then direction Auray and bear right on the small road running next to the N165; you then see the signs for Château de Kerambar’h on your right hand side. Follow these signs into a narrow road all the way in, with space for one car! and then you reach a sing saying the Jardins de Kerambar’h and turn right on it.

    Chateau de Kerambar'h entrance the road to get to Chateau the walls of chateau, gardens behind the ticket house for admission the side of castle ruins gardens behind
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Tour des Anglais, Penerf,Damgan

    by gwened Written May 10, 2014

    I dare to go to take a closer look at the Tour des Anglais or English tower of historical significance. It is surrounded by major Oyster culitivation now so please respect the environment.

    The Fire Tower built between 1442 and 1450, (ancestors of light houses), it’s is the oldest “fire Tower” standing in its original architecture on the French Atlantic coast!

    The Tour was both Watchtower and beacon: she pointed out the entrance to the Pénerf River and allowed to watch the arrival of enemy privateers: boats of Jersey, Spain and England.

    A brief description is as follows , it is a cylindrical tower 15 meters high, built in coated rubble, on a pan base approximately 8.20 meters in diameter at the base and 1.70 meter in height, consisting of paired, restored and joined stones in 1978 protected by a built in grand Chase, a trunk of 3.80-meters high cone base and a top three levels 9.20 meters high. One meter thick walls are built in ‘stone of the coast’ with the exception of the two deadly round of granite Ashlar. A high parapet of 1 meter supported by Corbels granite based machicolations in console. The Tower, situated about 100 meters from the banks, is one of the few remains of the defence of the coasts of the region.

    Worth a detour.

    The Tour des Anglais or English's Tower plaque on the history of the tour des anglais map of foot fishing and oyster beds in Penerf
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Church of Saint Pierre, Pernef, Damgan

    by gwened Written May 9, 2014

    You have the Church of Saint Pierre, right across from the harbor .
    Its construction dates back to the 17C , first mentioned in 1580, and probably replaces an older church. The place was already inhabited since long and formed an own entity. It is extended by the addition of a chapel dedicated to the Virgin and revamped belfry. The North and South wings are added in 1853 and 1848 then the Church was restored in the 19C . Simple rectangular building, its Western gable served chalk as building material in the 15C and 16C.

    During the creation of the parish of Damgan in 1820, before being common in 1824, heavily populated Pénerf strives to become parish. The Chapelle St Pierre was erected as a branch without ceasing to belong to the parish of Damgan, August 2, 1843.

    Tourist office for this area of Morbihan
    http://www.tourisme-arc-sud-bretagne.com/Infos-pratiques/Contactez-nous/(language)/fre-FR

    Church Saint Pierre front church of Saint Pierre side ,facing harbor
    Related to:
    • Religious Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Church Notre Dame de Bonne Nouvelle, Damgan

    by gwened Written May 9, 2014

    the Church of Notre Dame de Bonne Nouvelle. It was during the first half of the 16C the construction of the chapel dedicated to Notre Dame de Bonne Nouvelle, patron saint of travellers and sailors, begins. Originally, it had the shape of a barn because it had no steeple and soil was clay. Over the years, the building fell into ruins. It was in 1841 that a text refers to the need to rebuild a church. The chapel was demolished and in June 15, 1843 on the Fête de Dieu is the blessing of the foundation stone of the new Church of Damgan.

    Contact information for tourism here
    http://www.tourisme-arc-sud-bretagne.com/Infos-pratiques/Contactez-nous/(language)/fre-FR

    Church Notre Dame de Bonne Nouvelle front Church Notre Dame de Bonne Nouvelle nave church Notre Dame de Bonne Nouvelle side
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Chapelle Saint Antoine de Penesclus, Muzillac

    by gwened Written May 9, 2014

    We went past the chapelle Saint Antoine de Penesclus just before hitting city center, and the story is that the Chapel along the street of the Penesclus, breton term meaning “the tip of the lock”.

    It is written its existance since 1580, but it was moved and rebuilt in 1885 to allow the widening of the route de Vannes to Nantes. The 2 statues of Knights on the facade above the entrance would be Templar and date to the 15C. On the flat chevet of the choir Sainte Apoline and Saint Anthony statues surround the small statue of St. Eloi.

    The modern stained glass of Eric Jégat (end 2003) symbolically recount episodes of the life of Sainte Apoline and Saint Antoine, who lived in Egypt and saved a pig.

    Chapelle Saint Antoine de Penesclus
    Related to:
    • Religious Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Church of Saint-Cyr-Sainte-Julitte,Ambon

    by gwened Written May 9, 2014

    We past by an old Church still Under renovation, église Saint-Cyr-Sainte-Julitte; it is a very old religious site maybe going back to the 3-4C!,

    some of the architectural description is to follow; the western façade is typical of Romanesque Breton. On the north side of the church, at the level of the second and third bays of nave, opens a porch from the 15C. Under the porch is located in arc full-handlebar paired access which may have existed as early as Roman period. The South aisle of the nave retains the trace of primitive period, narrow, arched full-arch, which has been modified subsequently.Inside , the nave, preening, has five spans contacting the aisles by a sequence of arcades full-arches resting on massive square pillars. In the end of the 14C or during the 15C, the choir is completely modified. It is, then, transforms it into flat chevet with two side chapels. The North Chapel of the choir (Chapel of the Rosary) is enlarged, it bears the date of 1636-37. Ten years later about was built between the North arm of the transept and porch, the chapel of our Lady of mercy. The South aisle of the nave is then remade, it lowers its roof by masking the Romanesque bays of the nave. 1636 in 1649, it also realigns the lower parts of the nave, the façade, the south wall and the Bell Tower. In the 19C a new sacristy is done adjacent to the South Chapel.

    A local tourist site on ambon
    http://www.tourisme-arc-sud-bretagne.com/content/search?SearchText=ambon&SearchButton=

    Church of Saint Cyr et Sainte Julitte front church Saint Cyr et Sainte Julitte front side the church St Cyr et Ste Julitte back Church St cyr et ste Julitte back  mon to fallen
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Le Manoir de la Touche Carné,le Roc St André

    by gwened Written May 8, 2014

    Deep into the country, only by car/auto, but historical and nice. This is country Morbihan.

    Le Manoir de la Touche Carné, the Manoir reflects well what life was segneuriale around 1450. It is built by the House of Carné, then moves into the hands of the family of Rogiers in 1638, and then in the 19C to that of the Du Breuil De Pontbriand.

    On the ground floor of the main building is a large room for the exercise of the right of high justice. a function that recalls the name of a nearby field said the “Moor of justice”. Upstairs, reserved for privacy, is divided into two parts with each home. The high rooms in the attic, disappeared in the 17C.

    The house or manoir is done as a square with stair polygonal tower polygonal plan towards the northeast corner on the front facade; It was amputated a wing in return; another wing including pantry and upstairs bedroom is adjacent to the West. A second main building, attached to the left is an add-on of the end of the 15C or the beginning of the 16C. The Court is closed to the North by a farm built in the 15C a barn of the 19C. There is a nice old Breton oven right outside.

    You can have a guided visit with appointment at tel +33 (0) 2 97 74 73 13 (M. Lefèvre), it is free.
    A bit more from the region tourist side Val d'Oust et Malestroit
    http://www.tourisme.ccvol.fr/tourisme_malestroit_accueil_ot/a_visiter_a_malestroit_et_dans_le_val_doust/malestroit_et_le_val_doust_le_patrimoine_remarquable/les_belles_pierres__chateaux_moulins_et_curiosites/TIF_B0032BRE0000006B/manoir_de_la_touche_carne_xve_au_xviie_s

    Le Manoir de la Touche Carn�� entrance the long��re breton attached to manoir the mound oven for Breton goodies Le Manoir de la Touche Carn�� main building outhouse shop now of the Manoir de la Touche Carn��
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Arts and Culture
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Church Notre Dame, La Chapelle Caro

    by gwened Written May 8, 2014

    Some history of this quaint town in the country of Morbihan my dept 56 of Brittany.
    We continue on the road D766A towards La Chapelle-Caro, it takes its name from the family of the Chapelle. This is a break-up of the original parish of Ploërmel. She was nicknamed ‘ the lower-Chapel ‘ or ‘ La Chapelle-sous-Ploërmel’. After having belonged to the great Lordship of Porhoët, La Chapelle-Caro enters the ducal domain in 1168. La Chapelle Caro is elevated to Viscount in 1576, into County in the 17C, and held the lordship of Crévy in 1630. The fief of La Chapelle, parish of La Chapelle-sous-Ploërmel, was held chronologically as the Lord, by the La Chapelle, and Rosmadec, by marriage, February 19, 1505, at the Château de Blois, Jean III de Rosmadec and Jeanne de La Chapelle; as a County, by the Rosmadec, erection, in 1576. This parish took the name of “La Chapelle Caro” in the 20C due to its proximity with Caro.

    And some on the Church, main of the town.
    the Church of Notre Dame, built in 1868 to replace a former treviale Church and parish from the 17C, reworked in 1711. The present Church is in the shape of a Latin cross. A square Tower is located at the bottom of the nave. The stained glass windows are post-1870. The Church houses a statue of saint Fiacre (16tC). A beautiful 16C (1500-1550) processional cross, silver plated on soul of wood, is kept in the sacristy; The façade of the Church was restored in the year 2007 as well as stained glass Windows.

    Church Notre Dame steps to the front entrance church of Notre Dame side Church of Notre Dame front Church of Notre Dame ,belltower
    Related to:
    • Religious Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Church of Saint Bertin, Guillan

    by gwened Written May 8, 2014

    The town of Guillac is very old and some foundations are there even before the Romans time. It is part of the Gallo language even if Breton had been spoken there then. It was part of the war of Succession of Bretagne, and battle was held here in 1351. A big economic boom when the river Oust was canalise into the Canal Nantes-Brest.

    The Church of Saint Bertin is an integral part of the history, built in the first half of the 16C, the parish church was placed under the patronage of Saint Bertin. built in medium and small style, it consisted originally of a single nave and a side chapel to the North with ogival flamboyant mullioned windows. There was placed the high altar from the community of Saint Jean des Prés Génovéfains (currently, altar of the Sacred Heart in the side south chapel). A single steeple was placed in the middle of the nave.

    The Church was then gradually expanded to acquire the current form; 1751: construction of a sacristy behind the north side chapel; 1849-1850: construction of the couch at the bottom of the nave; 1860-1861: construction of the choir and the South side chapel; 1879: construction of a second sacristy to the South of the chancel. During the construction of the choir, the great canopy, formed of 16 panels representing the Ste Famille St Bertin and the 12 Apostles, was completely redone. In the North Chapel, stained glass (1888) represents St Sosthène and Ste Hermine, and, at the top of the nave (1873), right side represents St Louis and St Yves. All the other stained glass windows date from 1999. They are the work of the workshop the Nézet of Le Bono and symbolize the evangelization of all the men of all nations. Above the altar of la Ste Vierge (North side chapel), the table of “gift of the Rosary” is an oil on canvas dating from the 17C.

    Church Saint Bertin Church Saint Bertin closeup side
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Church Saint Nicodéme, Quily

    by gwened Written May 8, 2014

    We continue on to Quily on the road D174 , pure country and wonderful ride; big town of 342 inhabitants, where the main item is the Church of Saint Nicodéme. The Church was originally built as the Church of Notre Dame des Neiges (our lady of snow) but since 1802 it is that of Saint Nicodéme. Done in Latin Cross style. As I said very small country town no mayor’s office just an outpost 1, rue de l’Église, 56800 Quily.

    steps to front of church Saint Nicod��me back church Saint Nicod��me
    Related to:
    • Religious Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Les Halles, market of Saint Brieuc

    by gwened Written May 3, 2014

    They are at the shadows of the great Cathedral of Saint Stephen or Saint-Etienne,at the place du Martray where you will see these magnificent halles or halls of market from the 19C with the style of Baltard.

    Today they hold the market here on Wednesdays and Saturday mornings still! In summer there is concerts in open air with animation in all the bars that encircled them.
    the city has the market days here
    http://www.saint-brieuc.fr/Les-marches.5046.0.html?&L=cmzgeqiqodnx

    les halles outdoor market saint Brieuc Les halles indoor market
    Related to:
    • Food and Dining
    • Arts and Culture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Musée d'art et d'Histoire de Saint Brieuc

    by gwened Written May 3, 2014

    After many sketchy starts and stops and many years of moving around town, the museum is finally found its home ,and when look at it from the front is very nice indeed.

    The Museum exhibits collections relating to the history of Côtes-d'Armor, essentially permanently in the 19C. Several themes are represented: the maritime heritage (underwater archaeology, boating, fishing in Newfoundland and Iceland), agricultural heritage (employed prescribed Burns mimic, cultivation of the Moor...), the textile heritage, the heritage crafts (pottery, clog makers...), as well as social and religious heritage (birth of tourism, pardons, small objects of worship...) and furniture.

    In terms of art collections, the Museum conserves the drawings Mathurin Méheut, and René-Yves Creston, as well as paintings of Breton inspiration, like those of Alfred Guillou, Xavier de Langlais etc...Temporary collections leave the beautiful part for contemporary artists and audiovisual facilities

    Its managed by the city and admission is free. Open Tuesdays to Saturdays from 10h- 18h,closed every mondays. The main permanent galleries closed between 12h and 13h30. Open Sundays and HOlidays from 14h- 18h. Closed Jan 1, May 1, Nov 1 and Dec 25

    webpage of the city of Saint Brieuc in French

    museum of Art and History of Saint Brieuc back walls of museum of art and history
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Museum Visits
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Church St Pierre, Plélan le Grand

    by gwened Written Apr 27, 2014

    The St. Peter’s church or église St Pierre was built from 1850 in a place of a church from the 13C which survives that of chapel of Sainte-Anne . North side, a tower dating from 1620 plays the role of Bell Tower. It has a wonderful calvary on the side, beautifully done.

    The Church Saint Pierre is first mentioned in the 12C. three-quarters destroyed, it was rebuilt between 1850 and 1853. The site of the former building is still the chapel North, remarkable for its frame carved from stone pits that may date back to the 16C. While in the South always rises a tower, built in 1620 with the tinkling of bells.

    Upon entering the Church, one can admire the altar with its representative bas-relief "upgrading to the Tomb by the angels' directed by Jean-Marie Valentin, sculptor in Rennes, in 1858-1859, and the choir stalls due to the sculptor Jean-Julien Hérault in 1852.

    A vey nice Church in a lively country town. The tourism here is all base on the Brocéliande region
    http://tourisme-broceliande.com/

    church of St Pierre, Pl��lan le Grand chapel Sainte Anne church St Pierre from altar to back of church St Pierre towards the altar of church St Pierre the calvary on the side church St Pierre
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Religious Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Church St Malo, St Malo de Beignon

    by gwened Written Apr 27, 2014

    another old wonderful Church in the dépt 56 of Morbihan, my new area. Going along the Brocéliande area of king Arthur and Merlin fame.

    the tourist site tells us there was a Church here from the 11C, roman style made from stone of Roussard. The doors were renovated in the 13C and the roof in the 15C.
    It was Under the bishop of St Malo from 1396, where the bishop home was annexed to the Church and this was burned in 1958. In the 18C, the Church was reduced at the nave and the old choir was put forward.
    Once with more time, you can discover inside :
    a retable ,end 17C
    a portrait desceding on the Cross copy of 19C, lateral chapel, bishops's tribunes from end 18C, baptismal fountain in granite from the 18C, 4 funeral dalles of the bishops from the 15C to the 18C; statues of the Virgin and the Child ,14C; and St Malo and St Vincent from the 18C, Christ on the Cross from the 18C ,and the calvaire behind from the 16C

    department tourist site in French in contact

    Church of St Malo, St Malo de Beignon
    Related to:
    • Religious Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

Bretagne Hotels

See all 664 Hotels in Bretagne

Top Bretagne Hotels

Dinan Hotels
65 Reviews - 234 Photos
Roscoff Hotels
48 Reviews - 151 Photos
Carnac Hotels
72 Reviews - 271 Photos
Saint-Malo Hotels
232 Reviews - 777 Photos
Brest Hotels
136 Reviews - 369 Photos
Rennes Hotels
123 Reviews - 423 Photos
Perros-Guirec Hotels
22 Hotels
Concarneau Hotels
34 Reviews - 120 Photos
Saint-Servan-sur-Mer Hotels
6 Reviews - 20 Photos
Bénodet Hotels
4 Reviews - 15 Photos
Quimper Hotels
53 Reviews - 222 Photos
Ploumanac'h Hotels
11 Reviews - 16 Photos
Dol-de-Bretagne Hotels
20 Reviews - 62 Photos
Cancale Hotels
16 Reviews - 52 Photos
Vannes Hotels
182 Reviews - 664 Photos

Instant Answers: Bretagne

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

72 travelers online now

Comments

Bretagne Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Bretagne off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bretagne sightseeing.
Map of Bretagne