Fontaine de Saint Guigner
the fontaine de St Guigner right in town of Pluvigner, our town. The fontaine Saint Guigner dates from 1526 AD. It is located at the crossing of the rue des Fontaines ,and rue du Tanin. You can go by city center or easier go by the road D768 to rue des Fontaines right and the fountain is immediately on your left. The leyend of this fountain is that Saint Guigner with his sheperds pole had made the water come out from the ground and it became a fountain of deep devotion. The day of the Pardon du Saint martyr ( repent of the martyr saint), the sick with rhumatism will drink the water and walk by the seven relics in the fountain. The octagonal shape of the fountain, raise with a cross is completed with a laundry of 3 fountains. The source of the water is taken from a Stream rounded well of a meter deep that comes at the level of the stones.
The city has other fountains and laundries that I will need to see in person, as seen in the city government page here http://www.pluvigner.fr/module-Contenus-viewpub-tid-2-pid-71.html
- Family Travel
- Historical Travel
Church of Saint Guigner
Pluvigner is a country town small on road D768 amongst others.
It has a nice church or église de Saint Guigner; founder of the town. It is mostly from the 16C as one sable stone on the north side tells you it was in 1545 when built. However, it has been found traces on the building that is even older. The antique tower and bell were done in 1781. Many renovations since 1841 have been carry out .
The inside has stained glass marking the events of famous names of the parrish, like Saint Guigner, Saint Guénaël or the penitent Kériolet. You will see statues of Saint Guigner, Saint Michel,Saint Vincent Ferrier and that one of Notre-Dame de Bon Secours. It ,also, a wonderful painting of the assomption of Mary from 1770. The outside you have vestiges on the north side of the old Chapel Notre-Dame des orties, built in 1426, having survived the cross transept. Surrounding the church you see many monument to the fallen as well as calvary, and a cross.
see it and you will like it too. Some local history from the mayor's office
The Church Saint-Guigner (16th century). The primitive Church of Pluvigner had been repeatedly restored, especially in 1585 and in 1781. At the end of the 19th century, it was almost entirely replaced by a vast modern building, of Gothic style. It kept that door fairly rough south and the great Bell Tower in the style of the pseudo classical Renaissance, orders bunk, which was built in 1781. The tower and the Bell Tower dates back to 1781. The stained-glass Windows, the work of workshops Rault, date from 1932-1933 and represent events from the life of famous characters within the parish, as saint Guénaël, saint Guiguer and penitent Keriolet. A door lintel group of the Crucifixion of Christ surrounded by the Virgin and Saint John. The lectern stands on three legs of griffon and at the top is an Eagle perched on a globe. The Church contains the relics of saint Guiguer and contains a statue of saint Guiguer. The painting entitled "Assumption", artwork by Philippe, dates from 1770. The painting entitled "Gift of the Rosary", work of Charles Milcendeau, date of the 20th century (circa 1900);
The church of Guigner is a vast building, large and medium device, in the form of a Latin cross. It is for the most part of the 16th century, with doors and ogival Windows; a sandpit in the North of the nave bears the Gothic inscription: Faict lan M Vc XLV (1545). The choir is square; in 1740, a decision of the Council prescribed to the arms of the King on the altarpiece of the high altar. Malestroit and Kaer were in the main pane. The side altars are dedicated to the Blessed Virgin and Saint Anne. The square Tower, located at the bottom of the Church and surmounted by a stone Spire, was built in 1781, on the plans of Mr. Noury, Rector of Bignan. In the old cemetery, adjacent to the Church, are several lechs overthrown or displaced. The door of the Town Hall, is a reverse lech, of one meter in length about; It is said that this stone was once on the Mainlievre square, and that the bailiff was raise his hand before it and swear loyalty to the Lord. -At some distance from the village, is the fountain of Saint-guigner, ogival, with traces of coat of arms and Gothic inscription. The chapels of the parish are many:-1 ° Notre-Dame of nettles, to the village, coming to the parish church and communicates with it by the sacristy. It has the shape of a Latin cross; the transepts are shallow and seem older than the rest of the monument. The choir is square; on each side, two semicircular arcades, today blocked, suggest the primitive existence of two collateral. The square of the transept is separated from the nave by three arcades, a large and two small, arched, brought on polygonal pillars. The Windows are pointed, and the mullions to flames and triodes. North of the choir, the Gothic inscription reads: Lan mil CCCC twenty VI. The exterior Gable, and under the Interior arches, we see several patches, namely: 1 ° of ermine, to the Chief of 2 shells; -2 ° a lion; -3 ° at 3 mallets; -4 ° to 3 Marlette, 1, 2, and the franc area. -2 ° Saint-Adrien at the village: it is the chapel of the hospital. Pluvigner had, in ancient times, a hospital which had eventually fall into disrepair. In 1773, an epidemic that ravaged the village, it lifted the House; Mr. Carpenter of Lenvos, Lord of Queronic, provides an endowment; and the Sisters of wisdom, called to lead the establishment, there were installed on 27 January 1774; they are still in 1891. –
More on the church in French from the small heritage sites of France
- Historical Travel
- Religious Travel
Chapel St Guenael
The area has plenty of chapels and this is one of the main one, Chapelle Saint Guénaêl, and very close to my house;
it sits on a hill along the road, surrounded by private homes/properties to keep out, but a nice space with plenty of parking. You need a car to get here. There is a small fountain outside crown with a cross of Jesus.
A bit of history
in 1888, this chapel was ruined. A peasant from the Manor House of the Park took then the initiative to sell one of its seven farms in order to rebuild the chapel . Originally, the building stood on the edge of the "The Pratello" subdivision.Saint Guénaël takes as "away disasters".
This Chapel is composed of six bays. The stained glass windows represent different saints: saint Guénaël is represented on the north side and the South side, saint Guigner (the main saint and for what the city is name in Pluvigner).
In addition to the statues, including that of the saint celebrated here, the building contains a stone altar.The steeple rises to the top of the west gable. It consists of three parts: a square, a House of the bells bounded by two cornices and a short tapered arrow.
lovely in the middle of the corn fields !!
- Family Travel
- Religious Travel
- Historical Travel
Chateau de Rimaison
The Chateau de Rimaison was abandoned in the 18th century, the Castle, then located in Bieuzy-les-Eaux, is gradually dismantled and its stones are reused in the surrounding villages. In the mid-1950s, the ruins are redeemed by Mr. Xavier OLIVIER (sales manager for L'Oreal) and transferred to the current site.
The castle was rebuilt with three main buildings connected in part by a path of two watchtowers round. The Castle has a North Wing, or the guards, from the 14th or 15th century logis, a South Wing, or "House of dog", of a corps de logis of the 16th century and two towers, the Tower of ermine and Tower of records.On the original site, a vestibule is preserved at the entrance to the Golf de Bieuzy - les - Eaux.
it ,also, has a chapel call Notre Dame des Orties. According to tradition, a young mute sheperd, who was guarding his herd at the said place of orties, saw an apparition our Lady asking for a lamb. By some miracle the girl began to talk and replied that she could not give her lamb without the permission of his father who resided in the Casal de Sainte Marie. The young sheperd run to find his father, who was astonished to hear his daughter. Told him to act according to the full will of the Lady and the little girl returned so instead of the appearance to provide the lamb. Marie then asked him to build a chapel in this place. Upon learning this, the father came to place where he found, on a stone and in the middle of the nettles, a statue of our Lady. He reported it to the village, but the statue disappeared to return in the middle of nettles. Were therefore a chapel was built.
This ancient chapel built in 1426 and adjacent to the parish church, there are more than a triple arcade on the side of the nave. Three other arcades from the choir and the transept and the elements of the three flamboyant Gothic bays are currently relocated to the chapel of the Manor of Rimaison. The primitive Chapel disappears in the 1960s due to lack of sufficient funds for the restoration of its frame. It is after you reassemble the Rimaison Castle, following the takeover of the ruins in 1957 that Mr. Xavier OLIVIER that the park was finished in 1975. But the town offers to buy the ruins of the chapel of the centre of the village. It will be remounted with the numbering of the stones and the recoveries of some of its stained glass Windows, to be completed in 1980. Devoted, the chapel remains open to all religious ceremonies.
There is a park of 7000 M2 with nice restoration. A fountain of devotion, a fish, menhirs, a 'round to Apple» pond - ancestor of the press, a greenhouse and a bread oven are the sights of this garden, situated in the heart of Pluvigner.
Finally, there is a créperie restaurant La Créperie du Chateau, nice ,quaint, great ambiance and nice Breton goodies. Here is the crep webpage
I will have the castle in contact, I have eaten and pass in front of it every week ,photos taken for you !
- Arts and Culture
- Castles and Palaces
- Food and Dining