Rennes is a huge university town, and the area of rue St Michel and rue St Malo is packed with restos and bars for a lively ambiance;, the rue St Michel is also known as the rue du soif or street of thirst.
In my many walks in town, came upon this diner Restaurant Back to the 60's (see tip for food), it is loaded with paraphernalia from the USA of the 1960's from music records, road signs, artists,and many symbols including the American flag
Goes to show you, the spirit of America is alive and well here even if we are too reserve to show it a times.
- Family Travel
- Food and Dining
- Arts and Culture
Hôtel-Dieu of Rennes
it serves its purposes as a hospital, and it was from an long time. you come here for geriatrics services now with 120 beds, by public transport ;Métro : station Sainte-Anne, and bus lines 1-5-8-9-31-50-51-71 (arrêt/stop Hôtel-Dieu) at 2 Rue de L'Hotel Dieu
it, also, serves as a retirement home.
the main entrance is on the South side by rue l´hotel-Dieu,. To the North, rue Saint-Martin, is a secondary access to parking areas;East, the rue de la Cochardiere, Finally, to the west, rue Dinan, two entries give access to maternity and convalescent. The building is composed of several building square and parallel of 2-stories, connected by low galleries determining a central rectangular courtyard that opens to the Chapel, which the roofing is made of a frame with metal rods. To the Northwest, the buildings of the Community plan in U, determine a rectangular cloister. The different bodies of building, covered by rooftiles, are built in schist rubble masked by a coating; only the main facade is limestone, paired stone. Southwest and Northeast, three-body building lying in shale rubble masked by a coating are later additions, contemporaries of the constructions carried out at the east, on the side of the street from the rue Cochardiere. the rue de l'hotel-Dieu and rue Saint-Malo, the extensions are built masonry masked by a coating.
a bit of history
The acquisition of the land of the rue Cochardiere succeeded the opening of a competition whose agenda is set, in 1851, by a commission which has neither architect nor doctor. The program shows the surface of the land (24,000 m2), which is used to build a facility with a capacity of 500 beds, the number of buildings for the sick, impose their East/West orientation, a maximum of 30 beds per room, easy communication between the different buildings: administration, general services and housing of the religious but also the chapel open to the public.
The seven selected projects of the Review Board is composed of nine members, the Mayor, two doctors, two engineers from the Bridges and highways dept, a representative of the army and three architects. The winning project offers a device dual-orientation with an inner courtyard and many planted open spaces. The main entrance is placed in the South, where a previous court precedes the administration building. To the North, a secondary access allows access to the Chapel and the accommodation of the religious, finally a service entrance is located east from the rue de la Cochardiere. The works is ok in 1854. The construction is carried out between 1855 and 1858. The sculpted decoration of the façade of the main façade is the work of a Rennais sculpture. The commissary is enlarged once to the east in 1953. In 1952, the plans were done to built the preventive médicine center on the rue de la Cochardiere side.
It replaces that one which is now the tourist office of Rennes (see this tip here)
- Historical Travel
- Family Travel
Lycée Saint Martin
This is a high school secondary level private Catholic school and one of the top rated in France. I put it here because its a wonderful education and my sons followed it at Versailles in another typical school.
Second, here Inside the school there is a wonderful Church of Saint Martin part of the school property,unique because usually you have a chapel but not a full fledge Church in the property.
third unique because part of the separation of state and Church,this institution remains in Church 's hand even if managed by the state.
The school is at 31 Rue Antrain, 35000 Rennes , open door for new admissions is February 8 2014 for next school year.
It is only 850 meters or 11 minutes about on foot from the hotel de ville or mayor"s office.cost is about 619 euros per year and up, and if internat is 937 euros and up depending on the course.
a bit of history
Saint-Martin, has various uses first a Boarding school, institution, college, high school. Must be traced back to the 17C to find the roots: exactly in December 1669, fourteen years after the completion of the Parliament of Brittany. Monsignor de la Vieuville was the Bishop of the city. Eager to revive the faith of his followers, he decided to launch a large mission which he entrusts the preaching to the Father Jean Eudes, a Norman priest, already founder of Caen of a society of priests seminar dedicated to the formation of the clergy, the Eudists. At the same time, in March 1670, the Bishop requested the facilitator to the mission and his disciples to support the Seminary of Rennes.
A beautiful building was built to accommodate future priests and their trainers. It was completed only in 1750. Confiscated by the State as all property of the Church to the French Revolution, In 1791 , the Eudistes fathers are sent to prison or forced into exile. it later became military hospital Ambroise Paré until 1995. the building next to it around the corner.It was transformed today into a building divided into studios and small duplex.
it was occupied by the Nazis in WWII, and later by the Americans,before finally back to its vocation of a high school in October 1945
- Study Abroad
- Historical Travel
Kissing on the cheeks
When people meet, they greet with the typical Breton custom of kissing on the cheeks (se faire la bise). As for what I have seen, they exchange either one or two kisses, the two-kiss option seeming slightly predominant.
Breton is a Celtic language spoken by some of the inhabitants of Brittany in France. Today it is said that some 2 million people speak this language.
Although the Breton language is not universally used in Rennes it can still be seen in places, eg folk songs and some signs are also in Breton.
It is said that the language is becoming more and more popular in Britanny. It is even being taught in some schools.
People are rather friendly...
People are rather friendly here, but you must really try and speak French. English is hardly spoken here.
Shops are closed at noon time and open again afterwards, shops are closed on sunday (the whole day) and monday morning. For buying food, you must go to the Intermarché (huge supermarket with normal prices).
The occupying German forces...
The occupying German forces blew up Rennes' bridges in an attempt to delay the advancing American forces, but to no avail. The first American tank arrived in the Place de la Mairie at 10am on 4 August, thus making Rennes one of the first French cities to be liberated, a fact duly celebrated by its citizens. The people of Rennes also gave a warm welcome to General de Gaulle when he visited the city on 22 August, 1944.
Carnac is a small town of...
Carnac is a small town of 4,000 people and is mostly known for its prehistoric megalithic monuments. A tour of the numerous megalithic monuments(alignments, dolmens etc) makes a fascinating excursion.
There is also The Museum of Prehistory in Carnac which covers prehistory from the lower Paleolithic (450 000 BC) to the early Middle Ages. There are lots of theories but no real proof of how these stone monuments ended up in this area.
Here are the painted signs of two crêperies. You will see many of this decorated signs not only in Rennes, but also in the whole of Bretagne.
Office de Tourisme du Rennes
11, rue Saint Yves - CS 26410,
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Discount Hotel Rooms
- Priceline.com More Ways to Save on Hotels. Save up to 50% on Top Brands.