Saint-Malo Transportation

• petit train in intramuros by rue Broissais
    petit train in intramuros by rue...
    by gwened
    start at quai saint vincent near chateau
    by gwened
    petit train at quai saint vincent

Best Rated Transportation in Saint-Malo

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Driving in France

by sue_stone Updated Apr 4, 2011

driving in St-Malo

In June/July 2006 we had a 9 day driving holiday in France. We caught a car ferry from Dover to Calais, drove down through Normandy, popped into Brittany and then caught the ferry back to Dover from Boulogne-sur-Mer.

We chose to take our own car over, as the cost of the ferry and petrol was significantly cheaper than flying from London and hiring a car in France. I also feel a lot more comfortable travelling in our own car as opposed to a hire car.

The only negative thing about driving our car in France is that it is a right hand drive car, and French cars are left hand drive, which means that tolls/tickets machines etc are on the wrong side of the car for the driver to operate…luckily I was able to assist in these duties from the passenger seat, but I do feel sorry for the solo traveller in these situations.

Driving in France is great. The roads are good and the sign posting is excellent. You can hoon along on the wide tollways/freeways, or travel along pretty coastal roads, soaking up the atmosphere of the French countryside. Just remember which side of the road you have to drive on if you come over from the UK.

• Architecture

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Rent a car

by rexvaughan Written Oct 26, 2004

When I was planning this trip, I investigated rail transportation for going to Mont St. Michel and getting to our next destination, Amboise. It is possible, but required changes in a couple of places, so I decided on a rental car. It was ideal - a Renault Megane which is a large car, but we were meeting another couple in Amboise so needed room. The roads in the area were all excellent and I had no trouble finding my way to Mont St. Michel, Dinan and Dinard because there were signs leading me in excellent fashion.

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Take the ferry

by rexvaughan Written Oct 26, 2004

Fast ferry

How you get to St. Malo probably depends on where you are coming from. We came from the Island of Guernsey, so the ferry was the best option. This is a fairly speedy mode and is quite comfortable. Large comfortable seating area, cafeteria style restaurant, bar are all on board. It took about 2 hours and was a smooth trip. Cost was about $60 each. We used Condor but there is also Emaurade Ferries as well.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Dinard airport...and transport links (or lack of!)

by SWFC_Fan Updated Jul 2, 2008

Taxi stand at Dinard Pleurtuit Airport

I travelled via Aeroport Dinard Pleurtuit St Malo when I visited Saint-Malo for a weekend break in June 2008.

This tiny airport is located 5km south of the town of Dinard and has no public transport links to either Dinard or Saint-Malo. Visitors are therefore required to make their way to their intended destination either by taxi or by hire car.

The first thing I noticed when my Ryanair flight from East Midlands touched down on the runway was how small the terminal building was. Indeed, there is just one luggage belt in the arrivals area, and one officer standing by the door checking passports.

Having passed through the passport control, you will find yourself in the arrivals hall. This consists mainly of hire car company booths, with no sign of even a simple tourist information desk. There are leaflets available, and there is a phone with a list of hotel names and telephone numbers beside it, but there is very little else to assist any new arrivals.

I expected, rather naively, to be able to leave the airport building and jump straight into a waiting taxi. I thought, in common with most airports, that there would be a queue of parked taxis. But there wasn’t. Nor were there any phone numbers of taxi companies displayed in the airport.

It seems that most people on my flight had chosen to hire a car, while others had had the foresight to pre-book an airport pick-up service. That left about twenty of us standing outside the terminal next to a “taxi” sign, wondering when the next taxi would show up. None did so in the first 20-30 minutes and I was starting to contemplate walking to Dinard, even though I didn’t have a map of the area or any idea which direction to head in. That is how desperate I was starting to feel!

Finally, a taxi arrived to drop off passengers who were catching the next outbound flight. The first people in the queue asked the driver to take them to Saint-Malo and others further back in the queue asked if they could share the taxi. The passengers were happy to share, but the driver wouldn’t let them – as that would obviously deprive them of an extra fare! If you’re ever in this position, try to find somebody to share a ride with before the taxi arrives and pretend that you are travelling as one party.

After about an hour’s wait, I finally found myself in the back of a taxi heading for Saint-Malo. The driver spoke English very well, and we chatted during the 20 minute trip to my hotel. The journey cost me 24 Euros.

At the end of my stay, I asked the hotel to arrange for a taxi to pick me up. This seemed to be the best option given my experience upon arrival in Saint-Malo and the fact that I hadn’t noticed any taxis or taxi ranks in Saint-Malo town centre. The taxi arrived bang on time and the journey to the airport cost me 35 Euros. This higher fare may have been due to the fact that it was a Sunday.

As I had checked in for the flight online and I didn’t have any luggage to check in, I had a bit of spare time while waiting for my flight. I made my way upstairs to a rather nice bar/restaurant with an outdoor seating area overlooking the runway. There are no shops at the airport, so most passengers end up in the bar.

As at June 2008, the following routes were operating from Dinard:

Ryanair – to East Midlands, Birmingham, Bristol and London Stansted;

Aurigny – to Guernsey.

A small airport in the heart of Brittany – make sure you have plans on how to get away, or you could be waiting some time for a taxi!

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Fly into nearby Dinard airport

by CatherineReichardt Updated Aug 13, 2012

(work in progress)
    We flew to Dinard airport with Ryanair from Stansted, which was by far the cheapest way of getting to Bretagne over the period when we wanted to travel.

Yes, that means that you have to get your head around Ryanair's draconian baggage restrictions, but so long as you know what to expect, it really isn't bad. First prize is if you're able to 'travel light' as you get a free hand luggage allocation of 10kg, provided that the bag meets their maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm: just be warned that they will check, as excess baggage charges are one of their main income streams. Also bear in mind that you can't combine allowances, so even if your partner's bag is only 7kg, you will still be restricted to 10kg.

As we were travelling with children and it wasn't practical to rely on hand baggage allowances, we booked two items of hold luggage, which can weigh a maximum of 20kg each (again, no combining of allowances allowed). This cost us extra - which we factored into our calculations when we comparing travel options - but gave us peace of mind, and left us some space to bring home a range of wonderful Breton goodies!

Dinard airport is only 14km out of St Malo, and there are car hire facilities at the airport. A taxi to St Malo will take approximately 20 minutes and costs about €20, depending on exactly where you're staying in the city.

• Jasen71's Profile Photo

Catch the Boat

by Jasen71 Written Nov 5, 2005

The Passenger Port

The ferry port has a year round service to and from Portsmouth, daily in the season, operated by Brittany Ferries, and a seasonal service by fast craft to and from Poole via Jersey and/or Guernsey operated by Condor. In addition Emeraude Line operate services to the Channel Islands and the Iles Chausey.

• Cruise

Getting There

by Goner Updated May 23, 2004

Map of France

From Paris's Gare Montparnasse, about nine TGV trains per day make the journey via Rennes, where a transfer is required. Trip time is 3 hours; cost is 50.60? one-way from Paris. The train station is a 10 minutes walk from the Intra-Muros.

If you're driving from Paris, take A13 west to Caen, continuing southwest along N175 to the town of Miniac Morvan. From here, travel north on N137 directly to St-Malo. Driving time is 5 to 6 hours from Paris.

Rennes is about 50 miles away, an hour by train.

Try the Tourist Office

by Goner Updated May 18, 2004

Palm Trees

Stop at St-Malo's tourist office for information on busses and boat rides. It's right in front of the city walls, beside the Bassin Duguay-Trouin in the Port des Yachts.

For Internet access, head to Cop' Imprim, just west of the gare SNCF at 39 bd des Talards

(Mon–Fri 9am–7pm, Sat 9am–noon; tel 02.23.18.08.18, copimprim@wanadoo.fr; 50F/€ 7.62 per hr.

Ferrys to other Countries

by Goner Updated May 18, 2004

The ferry port has a year-round service to and from Portsmouth, daily in the season, operated by Brittany Ferries, and a seasonal service by fast craft to and from Poole via Jersey and/or Guernsey operated by Condor. In addition Emeraude Line operate services to the Channel Islands and the Iles Chausey. In total more than a million passengers a year pass through St. Malo. The Brittany Ferries service is very popular, usually being fully booked for cabins well in advance as not only does the longer crossing give time for good nights sleep but the port is well placed for those heading south.

• annase's Profile Photo

Brittany Ferries from Portsmouth

by annase Written Apr 7, 2010
    Ferry

Brittany Ferries takes you from Portsmouth to Saint-Malo. The boat trip is about 9hrs during the day and almost 11hrs during the night. You can book either a cabin or reclining seats for your journey. The boat leaves at 20.30 (GMT or BST) from Portsmouth and is at 9.15 (CET) in Saint-Malo.

Return journey starts at 10.30 (CET) and the boat arrives at 18.15 (GMT or BST).

If you arrive to Portsmouth by car, the Ferry Terminal is located directly off the M27, and with links to the M3 and M25, it is easily reached from London, the Midlands and the North.

The ship to Saint-Malo is called Bretagne.

• hquittner's Profile Photo

Le Petit Train

by hquittner Written Oct 28, 2007
    Outside the Walls (Start of ride) at Castle

As one gets older, the use of a tourist train to replace or supplement on foot sightseeing becomes more attractive. In selective venues like Washinton, D.C. where distances are prohibitively long, this is a way to see important monuments. We found another way to climb hills by sacrificing part of trip in Dinan. In St. Malo the walking is level but the interior sites of the walled city may seem like a great deal after the ramparts and the ride may be regarded as a dessert to your tourist meal. More so if you have a fatigued youngster with you. (we also included a picture of the Chapel of St. Aaron honoring an ancient monk of the town, not covered in our Tips but on the train route). The train ride duration is 30 min and it leaves from the Porte de St.-Vincent near the tourist office.

• Seniors

• PRIVATE TOURS

by carolinedumant Written Jun 30, 2008

We've travelled with the minibus company "Bellidays".
    We went to the Mont Saint Michel with a very kind driver(it was a woman!!!) who speak english and we could relax during the trip.
    We advise you to go on their website www.bellidays.com, or contact them contact@bellidays.com. They speak english, espagnol, italian and french.

• Luxury Travel
    • Seniors

petit train

by gwened Written Aug 19, 2012
    petit train in intramuros by rue Broissais

a fun way to see the city and put in transportation because it can serve as such inside the city. You can see all the main sights if short on time, and if more time come back to see the ones you like the most.
    The ride is very nice from quai saint vincent near the castle and takes into the intra muros area and out. Nice, it seems very popular. Cost is 6€ for adults.

• Trains

drive a car to St Malo

N137 entering St Malo

well freedom is beautiful and driving a car in France is an experience not to forget. I know been doing it for 22 years,and love more each time.

this time it was St Malo, and from Paris is easy on the A13 or A11 to Rennes, then the N137 to St Malo centre ville intramuros.
    I took a more leisure drive on departementales or D roads, the drive is gorgeous and slower but you see more of the countryside. I took the N165 to the N166 to the D766e, then N164, D125, N176 to N137.
    while viamichelin tells you its 2h40 I took 2h10 normal legal speed so again beat them, and wrote to them again.....

arriving first at Tour Solidor by rue de la Cité for free and then over to the intramuros at quai Saint Vincent underground the rest of afternoon and evening for 8 euros. Its the Q-park parking system in France
    you enter by avenue Louis Martin

• gwened's Profile Photo

passenger boat terminal or gare maritime

by gwened Written Aug 19, 2012
    cale de la bourse gare maritime

Well this is a harbor city and as such great passenger boat service to England, such as

Brittany ferries to Portsmouth,terminal du naye
    www.brittanyferries.com

Condor ferries to Poole et Weymouth,and jersey isles, terminal du naye
    www.condorferries.fr

compagnie Corsaire to Dinan, Saint-Cast le Guildo, Chausey et Cézembre,from cale de Dinan
    as well as cruises to Baie de Saint-Malo et la Baie de Cancale, vers le Cap Fréhel, and fishing trips
    www.compagniecorsaire.com

Taxi de la mer
    takes you taxi service on water to the Côte d'Emeraude, and on demand service maritime. Départs de Saint-Malo, Dinard
    www.taxibateau.fr

and the gare maritime de la bourse to take you in big cruise ships with full service facilities at St Malo

• Cruise
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Fishing

Instant Answers: Saint-Malo

Comments

Saint-Malo Transportation

Reviews and photos of Saint-Malo transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Saint-Malo sightseeing.