Fun things to do in Bretagne

  • Things to Do
    by ranger49
  • Entrance dating from circa 1450.
    Entrance dating from circa 1450.
    by ranger49
  • Things to Do
    by ranger49

Most Viewed Things to Do in Bretagne

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    the beaches of Damgan.Penerf

    by gwened Written May 10, 2014

    a wonderful beach area full of seafood restos, and the center of Oyster cultivation. The beaches are littered with conch shelfs but in summer they are clean. lots of free parking on the road and parking spaces.

    beautiful walkway along the beaches that forms like a semi circular rotation on the bays.

    The first bathers are reported in 1860 and first cabins appear in 1877. These tourists, rare before WWII , undertook the construction of villas (Kerhabert, villa Sainte-Anne, Kerfleuret, etc.) and hotels were built to accommodate this clientele came to the beach. Tourists arrive in numbers in the second half of the 17C thus allowing the municipality take over a new economic boom with his development as a seaside resort.

    There is a bureau du port or harbormaster, with boat ramp and old canon guarding as souvenir of 1759 when two ships fought and came ashore here.And a wonderful part to do foot fishing in low tides and go for the cultivation of oysters, panels tell you to behave

    The large beach of Damgan: Direction Pénerf, you will discover the beach of St Guérin and the plage du Bill, beautiful creeks. Direction Kervoyal, there are two beaches: its grand plage and its petit plage popular beach sheltered from the wind from the West after passing the pointe of Kervoyal.

    The Dumet island (île Dumet) opposite Damgan, the cliffs of Pénestin (gold mine) are a permanent spectacle not to be missed! The lucky ones will have even the opportunity to see Houat and Hoëdic...islands in the Gulf of Morbihan!

    The beaches have showers on the grand plage of Damgan and the petit plage of Kervoyal. Ice cream vendors spend cool sunny afternoons. A beach club, open July and August, offers swimming lessons to children and adults.

    Post emergency (SNSM) on the grand plage of Damgan equipped for disabled
    persons.

    the dept tourist office in French at contact, and here is the city of Damgan on beaches in French
    http://www.damgan.fr/decouvrir-damgan/plages

    beach bay grand plage at Penerf the grand plage at pernerf the harbor petit plage and oyster cultivation afar the bay by the port beach of Penerf the canons rescue from gunbattle in 1759
    Related to:
    • Beaches
    • Water Sports
    • Sailing and Boating

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Church Saint André, le Roc Saint-André

    by gwened Written May 8, 2014

    The Church of Saint André, done in 1901-1903. This church, built under the leadership of Abbot Pirio and following the plans of architect Arthur Regnault, replaces a former treviale of the 16C Church, shaved in 1901, due to aging. The altarpiece is the work of André Le Dréan. The Chair and the high altar are the work of Treguoet and Plédran. The paintings of Saint-Benoît and Saint Romuald, painted by Lhermitais and dated 1738, come from monastery of camaldolese of Roga de Saint Gognard.

    The arcades of the transepts, doors and windows are arched style. Many mutilated crests are indoors and outdoors. There are three paintings by the breton painter L'hermitais, from the convent of Roga. The West stands a square Pinnacle stone with two bays. On this side, the porch is formed by the extension of the nave: unique arrangement of its kind. The side altars are dedicated to the Blessed Virgin and the Sacré-Coeur. Private chapels were Sainte-Anne at the Villeder, and Notre Dame de la Bonne Nouvelle at the Val-Néant; they still exist in 1891. The chapelles of the district were:1 ° Notre Dame de la Bonne Nouvelle , founded in 1695 by Fr. Esmerault, and responsible for a mass every Monday. -2 Chapel of the Hague, founded by a member of this family and served in the Church of le Roc-Saint-André. -3 ° Chapel of Olivier Caret, founded in 1732 at the altar of the Blessed Virgin and to a mass every Saturday. In 1790, the Roc-Saint-André was built in in the canton of sérent () and the district of Ploërmel. His cure, Marc Le Thiec, refused the oath in 1791, and was soon forced into hiding. The property constituting the endowment of the chapelles could not escape confiscation or sale!

    Church Saint Andr�� front church Saint Andre back altar of church Saint Andr�� back wall from altar of church Saint Andr�� the nave of Chuch Saint Andr��
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Cathedral St Etienne, Saint Brieuc , exteriors

    by gwened Updated May 4, 2014

    The city site in French
    http://www.saint-brieuc.fr/Le-patrimoine-briochin.748.0.html

    This is a huge building, solid rock all around it by place du Martray and there is still some renovation going in the chapels but open to the public for most of it.

    a bit of history I like
    The current Cathedral, Gothic style, was built from the 13C -18C. Some relics of saint Brieuc himself, dating from the 6C, are conserved. It was built on a swamp with wooden pillars.
    Some dates:
    1220: plan of the western façade of the Cathedral from the Cathedral of Noyon, Oise. Construction of the North Tower. She became the episcopal keep.
    1431-1436: construction of the South Tower ("Marie") suite to the generous donation of Duke Jean v. 17C construction of corbelets supporting the railing. Completion of the rose window of the nave in 1728. 789-1794: the Cathedral serves as a warehouse and delivery during the French revolution period. 1853: construction of a hourd topped a wooden pyramid. The corbelets are transformed into consoles of machicolations. 1889: construction of the central porch. The six hinges of the so-called north side door «Porte de du Martray» conducted around 1860 by the art ironworker Pierre Boulanger. Four of these hinges have been sawn to allow the opening of two small doors

    a bit of description on the exterior
    The exterior on the western façade has framed by two towers, devoid of ornaments, deadly breakthroughs and which one of them is even topped with a hourd, the western façade presents itself as the entry of a fortress than a religious building. Is that in the history of the city, the Cathedral has indeed repeatedly played the role of Citadel, and there is no doubt that the unknown master of the 15C had that in mind. The north tower or tour nord, known as Tower Brieuc, is equipped with embrasures and slits. The lower part, former porch restored and transformed in the 15C in a chapel dedicated to saint James, dates partly from the 13C; the top was rebuilt in the 15C and is home to the drone.

    The Tower, known as Tower Marie, was built in the 15C. She was once surmounted by a 26 meters spire destroyed by lightning in 1852, time where the current coverage on the plans of the architect Ruprich Robert was rebuilt. Between the two towers, the main, renovated porch largely in 1889, however retains elements of the 13C. The gear recessed that overcomes it pierced a rosary from the 15C.

    The North Facade of the nave, overlooking the Martray and dating from the 18C. Adjacent to the North Wing of the transept, is found the sacristy. It is a building of the 14-15C, partly hidden by a shop, but with some interesting details, among others a stair Tower and a small kiosk topped by a grotesque. The North gable of the transept, which was rebuilt during the episcopate of Jean de Malestroit (1404-1419), has had its fully renovated fenestration in 1852. It is surmounted by a clock mentioned in the 18C as being the only one in the city.

    The apse, flanked by chapels of the 14C and the beginning of the 16C, date from the 14C show the arms of Bishop Guy of Montfort (1335-1357) if curiously filed on the foothills. Bypassing the bedside, you arrive at the door of the Virgin, breakthrough only in 1852.

    You then reach the southern wing of the transept which the wall is still decorated with a cornice with modillions and the gable is decorated with a beautiful fenestration of the 15C restored in 1862-1864. At this wing is adjacent to the chapel of the Annunciation. This charming Chapel, begun by the Bishop Jean Prigent (1462-1472) and completed by Olivier du Chastel (1505-1523), has replaced the Saint-Mathurin chapel built, according to tradition, by the care of saint Guillaume. Elegant turret leads to the room which overcomes it, known as the bookstore. This Chapel and also on the South side of the nave which is where the baptismal chapel was built in the 15C.

    Dimensions: length 74 meters; Width at the transepts: 40 meters; height of the vaults: 10 meters; height of the Tower Brieuc (North): 28 meters; height of the Tower Marie (South): 33 meters.

    Outside, one admires, with a little hindsight, the two towers:
    the Tour Brieuc, on the left (13C, with a Bumblebee of 4,000 kg);
    the tour Marie (or MIDI), right (15C, with a Bumblebee of 2,800 kg); who have served both in the defence of this 'Cathedral-fortress'.

    indeed it looks like a fortress more than a cathedral as you circle it.wonderful.you must see it.

    Cathedral Saint Etienne front entrance the back on rue saint gilles the back side of Cathedral St Etienne the front closeup main entrance to Cathedral
    Related to:
    • Religious Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Cathedral St Etienne, Saint Brieuc, interiors

    by gwened Updated May 4, 2014

    The city on it in French
    http://www.saint-brieuc.fr/Le-patrimoine-briochin.748.0.html

    This is a huge building, solid rock all around it by place du Martray and there is still some renovation going in the chapels but open to the public for most of it.

    a bit of history I like
    The current Cathedral, Gothic style, was built from the 13C -18C. Some relics of saint Brieuc himself, dating from the 6C, are conserved. It was built on a swamp with wooden pillars.
    Some dates:
    1220: plan of the western façade of the Cathedral from the Cathedral of Noyon, Oise. Construction of the North Tower. She became the episcopal keep.
    1431-1436: construction of the South Tower ("Marie") suite to the generous donation of Duke Jean v. 17C construction of corbelets supporting the railing. Completion of the rose window of the nave in 1728. 789-1794: the Cathedral serves as a warehouse and delivery during the French revolution period. 1853: construction of a hourd topped a wooden pyramid. The corbelets are transformed into consoles of machicolations. 1889: construction of the central porch. The six hinges of the so-called north side door «Porte de du Martray» conducted around 1860 by the art ironworker Pierre Boulanger. Four of these hinges have been sawn to allow the opening of two small doors

    bit description of the interior from the diocese
    The nave, rebuilt from 1712 to 1715, gives an impression of great heaviness with its massive pillars and its large high windows, and does not offer the slightest character. It is not the case of the chapel of the Annunciation, opened on the South side and communicating with the southern wing of the transept, which is a remarkable performance.
    Transept. The pillars of the square of the transept have been rolled up in the 14C so that shows it the diversity of the capitals. The pillar Northwest, re-edited a second time in the 18C, during the reconstruction of the nave.

    The vault of the nave was redone in the 15C, then in 1880, as well as those of the wings. Each of these included formerly two-span vaulted on arcs warheads, vaults which were replaced in 1880 by three arches equal and lighter. A square plan, but once circular and forming apsidal Chapel, opens in the wall East of each wing.

    Chorus. -That is, with the chapel of the Annunciation, the most interesting part of the Cathedral. It was built of a single jet by the Bishop Guy of Montfort, after the fire of 1353, and is any Anglo-Norman inspiration. Its polygonal chevet then replaced the circular apse that previously existed. It has elevation three floors: the large arches, triforium and clerestory windows. The large arches, simply epannelees, is based on pillars with circular capitals; the triforium is garnished with a balustrade decorated with quatrefeuilles and it is noted a curious asymmetry on each side of the apse; Finally, the tall windows have their walk a continuous circulation gallery that is fitted with a handrail in 1905.

    The choir is surrounded by a carole on which come open the following chapels starting on the side of the Gospel: chapel Saint-Gilles, founded in the 15C by white D'Avaugour, Lady of Kergroix, and from which a stairway winner the upper floors; Chapelle des morts de la guerre; Montfort Chapel, now destroyed; apsidal chapel dedicated to our Lady , dating from the 14C, but with later rebuilt in 1866; chapels Sainte-Anne and Saint-Yves, dating from the early 16C and due to the Bishop Christophe de Penmarch and his brother Louis, Saint-Brieuc .Finally passing and little cash, converted Chapel of the reliquary in 1896.

    its impressive and if anything Worth stopping by to see it .

    nave to altar of  Cathedral  Saint Etienne Baptismal chapel the Chaire at Cathedral from Altar to back organ the organ
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Les forges de Paimpoint

    by gwened Written Apr 27, 2014

    These are forges or foundaries that long ago extrait coal and metal from the pits nearby. The area is now Under renovation and it hosts many events even marriages. its a quaint picturesques area of Paimpont just along the D224 direction Beignon.

    Les Forges de Paimpont. Open from 14h to 18H cost of 6€ per person, you see a foundary site as it was in the middle ages, with a chapel, and now ok to reserve for events and marriages etc. It is a private property today. This is Worth stopping by indeed.

    I give the description from the site and I translate my best, As early as 1675, Des Forges settled in the heart of the forest of Paimpont / Brocéliande. Forges in wood, they benefit from a good iron ore, and a hydraulic network set up by the monks from the middle age (7 ponds lead to the etang des Forges). Now, the 3 components of a forge are gathered here, the ore, wood and water (we talk about Forges but we could earlier talk of plant iron and cast iron).

    In the 17C, the ironworks begin their activity through a furnace and a refinery. They are placed down the dike to draw hydraulic power generated by the flow of water from the pond. The used fuel is charcoal produced in the forest. In the eighteenth century, Diderot and d’Alembert retain the refinery to illustrate “the encyclopedia”. The production was 500 tons of cast iron and 360 tons of iron. Des Forges ensure orders linked to the war of independence of the United States of America.

    The maison de Maître de Forges, as well as worker homes are built start 18C on a plan or map of the 17C. In the 19C, during the reign of king Louis XVIII, the Forges must modernise; a State of the art made (which gave us a beautiful series of detailed plans visible at the National Archives in Paris). To follow: The construction of a second blast furnace wood, A mill equipped with ovens Puddler powered by coal from Earth or the Coke. A foundry building equipped with the same technology as that of the rolling mill. In 1850, we will be at the height of the production of iron and cast iron. (1500 tons of cast iron and 1000 tons of iron). 250 people will work for these Forges, 1/3 of the workforce is present in the Forges and 2/3 work in the forest to produce charcoal, remove and wash the ore. Wood and ore are brought at the Forges by carts pulled by horses.

    Competitive forces from foreign firms , especially English, made the furnaces stop in 1866 and then resume activity for the war of 1870 to stop permanently in 1880. In the 20C, the Forges buy in the external market of cast iron and iron at lower cost to make agricultural tools, boilers and other equipment to furnished our Region. We can observe some products manufactured in these Forges (screw press, chimney plates, forged… nails) of slag (slag = rejection of the merger of iron ore) are visible in some masonry. This activity will stop in 1954.

    Today, these Forges are registered on the supplementary list of Historic Monuments since 2001 (I.S.M.H.). A restoration program is committed with the assistance of the State, the Council régional de Bretagne, Conseil Général D’ille et Vilaine and the owner.

    the warehouse now maquettes and dance the foundary ovens were here the now welcome house for visitors the Chapel for prayers the lakes provided water to the foundary
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Arts and Culture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Secrets door of Brocéliande, porte des secrets

    by gwened Written Apr 27, 2014

    There are shows every 20 minutes or so and 7,50€ adult for admission. It tells you how the work is done in the forest, forges of metals, cutting the trees, just every day life in the forest of merlin.

    The show is right Inside the tourist office building to the right upon entering it.
    From April to October and during the school holidays: daily (meeting every 20 minutes, from 9:40 at 11:40 and from 2 pm to 4 pm (5 pm from April to September)).
    -From November to March: every day except Monday and Tuesday. Meeting every 20 minutes, from 9:40 at 11:40 and 14: 00 to 16: 00.
    Closed on 25 December and 1 January.

    you have the official site in contact ,and the tourist office is here
    http://tourisme-broceliande.com/spip.php?article427

    and ,also,in French,you have a pdf file that beautifully describe the wonderful show; you can translate it with Google or bing, it is long but it explains it all.
    http://www.coupsdecoeurmorbihan.com/upload/pdf/1360143602.pdf

    le porte des secrets + tourist office of Paimpont back patio of the tourist office/porte des secrets
    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    abbaye de Paimpont

    by gwened Written Apr 27, 2014

    the abbey was Under renovation,and it is heavily tourist invaded, not really my cup of tea ,living here. Again seen from the outside, the abbey of Paimpont is an impressive building.

    There is some treasury visits in the summer months, but not for me. Built in the 13C, on the site of a Priory founded in 645 by Lacy, King of Dumnonia. Benedictine monastery originally, it was the 13C inhabited by canons until the Revolution. Medieval Gothic style (walls, openings, the baptistery and the chapel of St-Sacrement, the vault), the Abbey presents interior decoration (Chair, statue, altars and altarpieces) characteristic of the baroque style of the 17C. The sacristy contains the Treasury of the Abbey Church composed of a beautiful Christ in ivory (17C), a reliquary (15C) offered by the Duchess Margaret of Brittany, mother of Anne of Brittany, which would contain a radius of Saint Luke, a statue in polychrome wood (15C).

    You can contact the tourist office in above link for Brocéaliande or call +33 (0) 2 99 07 83 20. The area tourist office in French
    http://tourisme-broceliande.com/spip.php?article11

    arriving abbey of Paimpont the side of abbey and mon aux morts from abbey to parking and lawn the lake of paimpont from abbey
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Tumulus of Kérnours , Le Bono

    by gwened Written Apr 21, 2014

    the Tumulus de Kérnours, a ceremonial stone burial of Breton heritage that still cause awe amongst many who try to determine where they came from and how here??? This one at Le Bono is great because its in a forest area that once you past by it you descend a steep hill into the bay of the river Bono with spectacular views. You can continue the walk alongside the river banks thru a narrow dirt road.

    More on this from the city site translated. The tumulus or allée couverte of the rock in Kernours is ‘elbow’ type or ‘square ‘. This form is specific to the coastal region of the Gulf of Morbihan, since only seven dolmens of this type, located between the estuaries of the Loire and the river Blavet, are known. Only the tumulus of the rock has retained an important mound that covers the burial chamber. This covered walkway is 4 meters high and has a diameter of about 20 meters. the entrance facing East (towards the winter solstice) provides access to a corridor of approximately 12 meters which leads right angle on a mortuary room extending over 8 meters in length. Kernours, erected in about 3000 BC, consists of an alternation of megalithic stones and masonry panels forming the walls and the vault. Five of the pillars supporting this building are decorated with an idol in the form of “morgate’ (local name for the squid fished in the waters of the Gulf of Morbihan) treated in a style particular, characteristic of these Neolithic buildings. Scientists have speculated that it would be a from a maritime tribe totem. At the beginning of the iron age (8C BC), a half-dozen burial circular with a diameter of 10 to 16 meters and covered with a mound of 0.50 to 1.10 meters height were placed around the tumulus. In these tombs, in fact of small dolmens built more than 2000 years after the Neolithic tumulus, mortuary ash originally contained in rectangular pits were discovered. These buildings bear witness to the persistence of the funerary vocation of this site over many millennia. In the 19C, excavations have led to particularly interesting objects on the archaeological map. In the tumulus was found flints, in other tombs a “situla” (small cup of circled iron copper) 2700 years old, weapons (daggers) and jewelry (bracelets of bronze)

    more in French from the city page
    http://www.lebono.fr/accueil/decouverte/patrimoine/var/lang/FR/rub/3155.html

    tumulus Kernours the sign tells you you are on the right track inside the tumulus de kernours from top of tumulus to river bono bottom at river bono banks
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Archeology
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Notre Dame de la Clarte -Larmor Baden plage

    by gwened Updated Apr 21, 2014

    wonderful old church near the port harbor of a lovely coastal town of the Morbihan Breton
    built from the 6C by mariners, seaman. It is said to have been built by Gildas Wise Saint who came from the isles of Britain.

    church Notre Dame de la Clart�� saints statues inside the church
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    castle of Suscinio

    by gwened Updated Jan 18, 2014

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    one of the hunting residence of the Dukes of Brittany, sitting just by the bay entrance to the gulf at below Sarzeau in the presqu'il de Rhuys. It was begun about 1218AD and continue improvements, until 1798 the French revolution sold it as national property to the viscount of franchevill, who in turn in 1965 gave it the general Council of the Morbihan, the local govt for upkeeps, still is .

    it remained very well maintained, there are many cultural activities are held there now. You need a car to get to it very small village. You can see a tapestry of 30 000 medieval patches showing the man of the middle ages mixing their dreams with dragons and lions.

    admission is 7,50€ adults,and it is open January to November 14h-17h, February,March,and October, 14h-18h, and April to September 10h-19h. Closed dec 24,25, 31, and jan 1; check the site for updates on prices and hours.

    You have a guided tour at 15h every day all year that is open; there are games for kids like treasure hunt, and heritage shops to learn about neat things.

    main entrance to Chateau de Suscinio ent chateau de Suscinio Chateau de Suscinio rear of chateau de Suscinio side walls Chateau de Suscinio
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Arts and Culture
    • Castles and Palaces

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Abbey Church of St Sauveur - Redon

    by gwened Updated Jun 23, 2013

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The abbey of Saint-Sauveur de Redon was founded in 832AD by Conwoïon , and recognise on June 18, 834AD by Nominoë, very old indeed. Richelieu was the commanding abbey here in 1622. The tour or arcade tower is 28 meters high.

    The history is huge going back to the duchy of Brittany,and its one that needs more time, the information is inmense as well on it. You can see
    in summer july and august they have guided tours on Tuesdays and Fridays mornings for just 4€ adults and 1,50€ children, less than 10 are free

    passing abbey of St Sauveur passing abbey of St Sauveur passing belltower abbey of St Sauveur
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Arts and Culture
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    museum of traditions at le Faouêt

    by gwened Written Jun 16, 2013

    Nice museum of traditions and folklore of the region,or Musée du Faouêt.
    The mid-19th century, the richness of the heritage and traditions of le Faouët attract many French and foreign artists in inland Brittany. Inaugurated in 1987 in a former convent of Ursulines of the 17th century, the Museum of le Faouët strives to revive this effervescence passed. Its collection consists of paintings, drawings, prints and sculptures, includes more than 450 works.
    very nice area for a walk too ,quaint old and just wonderful.Admission is 4,50€ adults
    Open April, May, June, September,and October every day except Sunday mornings and mondays from 10h -12h and 14h -18h. July and August open every day from 10h-12h, and 14h-18h. The museum is open on holidays.

    the entrance to museum Beaux Arts museum of fine arts le Faou��t back of museum at le Faou��t facade of museum of Fine arts
    Related to:
    • Museum Visits
    • Arts and Culture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Church of Notre Dame -Kernascléden

    by gwened Written Jun 16, 2013

    THe church of Notre-Dame ,its a building, of flamboyant Gothic architecture, with all the riches of this time. Inside, it is blown away by the magnificence of the frescoes depicting scenes from the life of the Virgin Mary and Jesus. We face the Angel musicians dreaming perhaps of a visitor ; the painter Maurice Denis. Is more worried about hell and its Devils or danse macabre, which reminds us that we are all equal facing death. The Church also contains another “treasure”. A colony of bats is housed in its bell tower! That is why, next to the Church, walkers can visit the House of the bat in order to know everything from the mysterious world of these ladies of the night.

    another side to come back to. the tourist webpage for the region of pays du roi Morvan, http://www.tourismepaysroimorvan.com/accueil/navigation/le-pays/kernascleden.aspx

    church Notre Dame de Kernascl��den side of church Notre Dame side of church Notre Dame back of church Notre Dame main entrance door of church of Notre Dame
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Cartopole - Baud

    by gwened Written Apr 5, 2013

    a wonderful little museum on old post cards. up th road from me on the D768 to the picturesque town of Baud just before reaching the N24 (Brest to Rennes road).

    open from June 15 to September 15, Tuesdays and Sundays from 14h-18h and wednesdays, thursdays ,fridays and saturdays from 10h-12h30 and 14h -18h
    open from September 16 to JUne 14, on Tuesdays and thursdays from 13h30 -18h
    wednesdays from 9h30-12h30 and 13h30 -18h
    saturdays from 9h30 -16h
    admission adults is 5€

    you have exhibitions going on now from April 13 2013 to April 15 2014 : Le monde maritime en Bretagne (the world of maritime brittany)

    What is Cartopole, opened in June 1996, as the showroom of the museum of post cards inside a building of a village from the 20C, it is the history of post cards and the traditional Brittany.

    Actually you see the entire history of Brittany in post cards !!great place. I need to take more photos!!!

    arriving main entrance Cartopole facade museum of post cards or Cartopole inside Cartopole hours of Cartopole main door Cartopole
    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Historical Travel
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    church of Saint Pierre - Arradon

    by gwened Written Feb 2, 2013

    it is of gothic style begun in 1885 and finished in 1888.

    It has inside a painting representing the holy cross or ”Sacré-Coeur de Jésus entouré d’angelots” from the 18C in the south transept, another the deploration of Christ dead or “La Déploration du Christ mort”,dating from 1847 and located in the ambulatory, yet another the virgin taking care of her sons in crucifiction or ”la Vierge tendant son fils aux enfants et une Crucifixion”, located in the baptismal room.

    The church,also, houses a statue in wood from the 17C of Saint Vincent Ferrier (that visited Arradon in 1419 while evangelising the area coming from Valencia Spain, his body lies in the Cathedral Saint Pierre at Vannes) , also the statues of Saint Pierre and Saint Roch. The clock in the south nave dates from 1895

    church Saint Pierre side of church Saint Pierre church Saint Pierre right cross breton back of church of Saint Pierre
    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Religious Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

Bretagne Hotels

See all 664 Hotels in Bretagne

Top Bretagne Hotels

Dinan Hotels
65 Reviews - 234 Photos
Roscoff Hotels
48 Reviews - 151 Photos
Carnac Hotels
72 Reviews - 271 Photos
Saint-Malo Hotels
232 Reviews - 777 Photos
Brest Hotels
136 Reviews - 369 Photos
Rennes Hotels
123 Reviews - 423 Photos
Perros-Guirec Hotels
22 Hotels
Concarneau Hotels
34 Reviews - 120 Photos
Saint-Servan-sur-Mer Hotels
6 Reviews - 20 Photos
Bénodet Hotels
4 Reviews - 15 Photos
Quimper Hotels
53 Reviews - 222 Photos
Ploumanac'h Hotels
11 Reviews - 16 Photos
Dol-de-Bretagne Hotels
20 Reviews - 62 Photos
Cancale Hotels
16 Reviews - 52 Photos
Vannes Hotels
182 Reviews - 664 Photos

Instant Answers: Bretagne

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

101 travelers online now

Comments

Bretagne Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Bretagne things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bretagne sightseeing.
Map of Bretagne