Musée Saint Nicolas
this is an interesting small museum showing the area artifacts found near and lots of silver works as well as religious items. Whatever is not in the castle they put it here, sort of like an annex but not told this way ...
The museum is easily done from the castle at 15 Rue Pasteur, go out left from castle to rue du val left there and right on rue pasteur to museum.
You pay 4€ adult admission,and it is open from May 1 to September 30 from 10h to 12h45 ,and 14h to 18h, and from Oct 1 to April 30 from 10h to 12h15 and 14h to 17h30, closed the Tuesdays, Sunday mornings, all saints day( Toussaint), Dec 25 ,Jan 1, and Easter.
more from tourist office
a collection of religious silversmith of the 17C to the beginning of the 20C. This collection takes its place in the former choir of nuns, sis in the flamboyant Gothic hospital chapel Saint Nicolas. The revival of the art of the Goldsmith, in the middle of the 19C, gives birth to a Gothic-inspired pieces, including Poussielgue-Rusand, pupil of Viollet-le-Duc, is one of the main creators. He is the altar of the Church of Saint Martin on the stained glass windows. Other prestigious pieces come to account for the influence of the Art Nouveau and Art deco in the field of Sacred Art.
tourist office here
in French too Catholic site in contact with more info.
- Historical Travel
- Museum Visits
Le Prés de Lavandiéres
this is a nice circuit along the river Vilaine, that is mark by old laundries and now form part of a nice promenade.
It may look like private property but its not, behind the castle and you go by a small passage in the street of rue du Val, very quaint for a walk.
The wide open on the Vilaine skilfull between bamboos of exotic space through which it passes by a pontoon. The walkway follows the course of the river. The eye focuses on horses, sheep, the wash-houses and the old tannery. Turn around and beyond the Meadow, near the courtyard (former sheepfold), a massif of perennials and many willows the most known the weeping willow rub shoulders. Beyond the orchard, between Apple trees, a few picnic tables to stop and enjoy the scenery even more.
very nice family walk we did.
- Family Travel
- Hiking and Walking
- Castles and Palaces
Champeaux: See the Church Interior
The church has two mausolea of the Espinay family from the late 16C. Both show capable stone carving. There is wood carving of high quality in the choir stalls which extends to the Sacristy doorway and the choir canopies (about 1530).The Tomb of Claude d'Espinay shows an early use of a pyramid decorative form. The stained glass is mostly of the same period (about 1540) and is in various parts of the church.
- Family Travel
Champeaux: Small Town with a Well and a Church
Champeaux is small (300 pop). At its center sits a very old well surrounded by old stone (granite) buildings and a 14-15 C church with an austere old graveyard. .The church was built by the Espinay family who were cousins of Francois I. Their chateau is only 2 km away but we did not visit it. The church has a fine ship-keel ceiling and interesting fittings. A stained glass window (16c) of the Calvary is behind the altar. The Tomb ogf Guy III d'Espinay is to the left. Behind the altar is a statuary setting of 1750 withthe two patron saints (Peter and Madelaine) and an allegory of Faith in the center.
- Family Travel