The capitals of the heavy round pillars are primitive early examples of carving with no clear precedents in other places in this region. Almost all of them are floral or fanciful beings. One is a four legged animal looking like a bird! In recent times stained glass windows have been placed in the clerestory windows.
The altar of the church is centered on the altar. Behind it and around it are thinner round pillars of the apse and ambulatory . Above it is a blind triforium with pairs of arches in each bay and with thin central pillars and thick lateral walls. The clerestory bays are mostly window and those are the highest.
The nave is 5 bays long with very heavy round pillars and has carved capitals. The nave has some sets of three windows on the aisles with small windows in each bay above. A low set of vaults and ceiling were replaced in Gothic style in the 17C after the original top had been destroyed in the 1560's. The capitals in the nave are primitive leaf forms and curves and in one case a double formed pair of birds.
The Church of Notre Dame is a Romanesque building of the 12C with heavy round nave pillars. The eastern end has a rounded end with a lateral chapel on the north and one on the west. The west facade is slightly decorated as is a second entry to the north and a lateral wing with a triple window and a set of fine pillars. On the southwest rises a belfry as tall as the church. The east end of the chancel has large windows at the ground level and the clerestory level with a blind triforium between them.
The church of St. Firman was built in the 16C and was destroyed during the Revolution. All that remains is a fine tall belfry and the adjacent base with an arch which serves as a walkway under the tower. A few pieces remain of a stone emblem and a small angel. Immediately next to the Tower is a statue of Joan of Arc.
A short way up the street leading from the river bank, we came to face the west facade of the church and next to it the chateau built by Count Dunois, that was joined to the keep across the street. Inside the chateau there is a regional museum which we did not enter,but there was a fine view of the building with a well and a garden.
Across the street from the Chateau Dunois is the tall rectangular Tour de Cesar built in the 11C with prominent buttresses. The interior and the roofing have been destroyed in the War of Religion and the Revolution. Window openings are present at each level.
The bridge over Loire river in Beaugency was made in the 13th century and it has 26 spans (arches). The bridge was very important because it was one of only two bridges (the other one in at Meung sur Loire) crossing the Loire on the way from Orleans to Blois. It was restored between 1978-1981 and now serves perfectly as a road bridge.
Beugency had a castle - Chateau Dunois, now all remains is this rather tall 11th century tower - Tour de Cesar - which was part of the castle's walls.
In fact Beaugency was sought after, being occupied by the English four times. On June 16-17 1429 it was the site of the famous Battle of Beaugency which was one of the Joan of Arc's battle . It's interesting that we were there on June 14th 2008 (almost exactly 579 years later).
Beaugency is so small you can walk on every street in a couple of hours. Take the streets along the small water running trough the city. You can find lovely terraces there - as well as in the main square - Place du Martroi.