Fun things to do in Centre

  • Da Vinci Memorial, Amboise, July 2008
    Da Vinci Memorial, Amboise, July 2008
    by von.otter
  • Castles
    by June.b
  • Castles
    by June.b

Most Viewed Things to Do in Centre

  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

    Garden Festival at Chateau Chaumont

    by Beausoleil Updated Jul 12, 2015

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Don't miss the Chateau Chaumont Festival of Gardens. It is great fun, even if you don't care much for gardens. Every year they choose a theme and gardeners create small gardens on that theme. Many are interactive so do take the children. Everyone prepare to have fun!

    One year they had a rectangular garden with bamboo wind chimes (huge ones) suspended over the garden and as you walked through the garden, you knocked the chimes and made your own music. There was a garden with huge rubber balls (4 or 5 feet in diameter) that rolled on suspended wires. You could push them all over the garden. It was fun but it was even more fun watching the children who loved it. Once they had a water hazard where you had to walk a stone path through a pond . . . only the stones weren't stable so you could get dunked if you weren't careful. It's different every year and always great fun. The flowers are spectacular too.

    End of April to the end of October is when the garden festival is held.

    Information for 2015:
    Theme for 2015 is “Extraordinary gardens, collectors’ gardens”
    Gardens open 23rd of April 2015 to 1st of November 2015
    Gardens of Light: 10:00 pm to midnight except Friday.

    In the Chateau 40 panes of stained glass were installed in 2011 and another 32 in 2012

    For those too late for the Garden Festival there are Autumn Splendors. Rare fruits and vegetables, strange-shaped squashes and exhibitions of amazing plants will be on display in the Farmyard during autumn break. Saturday 17 October to Monday 2nd November, 2015

    More information in English at: Chateaux of the Loire Official Site

    Chaumont is easy to visit with Cheverny and Blois . . . or do Amboise, Clos Luce and Chaumont on a day.

    Chateau Chaumont across the Loire River One of the Chaumont Gardens Another Chaumont Garden All the world
    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Festivals
    • Castles and Palaces

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Chateau Chaumont-sur-Loire

    by gwened Updated May 2, 2015

    another wonderful castle and more old photos from my vault.

    Chaumont-sur Loire , the castle is famous for its flower festival, and of course the history. You have great restaurants Inside and a nice boutique for souvenirs.

    My take on these castles is the history behind them, so would like to tell them to you

    In the 10C, Eudes 1, count of Blois, established a fortress to protect Blois from attacks by Foulques Nerra, count of Anjou. The Norman Knight Gelduin receives Chaumont and is consolidating the fortress. His son and successor Geoffroy, childless, chooses to heiress his small niece, Denise de Fougères, married in 1054 Sulpice of Amboise 1. The Castle thus enters the Amboise family for five centuries. king Louis XI made burned and destroyed Chaumont in 1465 to punish Pierre D'amboise's revolted against the royal power during the "League of the public well being". Shortly thereafter, its land are returned to him. Then his son, Charles I, and his grandson, Charles II, rebuild the Castle from 1468 to 1510. Queen Catherine de Medici bought Chaumont in 1550 and sells the castle to Diane de Poitiers on the death of Henry II. At the end of the 16C, the castle became the property of Henri la Tour D'Auvergne and then under Henri IV, the estate escheats to Paul de Beauvilliers, Duke of Saint-Aignan. In 1739, Chaumont was purchased by Nicolas Bertin de Vaugyen, Maître des requêtes to the parlement de Paris. In 1750, Jacques Donatien le Ray, future intendant of Louis XVI disabled, buys Chaumont. He managed to preserve the castle to the revolution and received Benjamin Franklin. In 1810, Germaine de Staël stayed, received by Jacques Donatien , who sold the castle in 1823 to the baron of Etchegoyen. In the 19C, the Castle belonged successively to the count of Aramon, vicomte Joseph Walsh and then the prince and the Princess Henri - Amédée de Broglie.

    In March 1875, Marie-Charlotte Constance Say , with a fortune comparable to that of the Rothschild, acquired the Castle and the area of Chaumont. A few months after, she married prince Henri - Amédée de Broglie. Therefore the princely couple has not ceased to expand and beautify the area. Built in 1877 the stables. In 1884, the park landscape surrounding the Castle is done.
    In 1903, the de Broglie ordered a model farm plans combining rationalization and modernization, work which will last ten years without to be completed. In 1917, the Domaine de Chaumont is multiplied practically by 2.5 passerby so 2500 hectares through acquisition of wood, closed and lands with the creation of a network of forest paths of 33 miles. Many financial setbacks (crack Crosnier in 1905, death of the prince of Broglie in 1917, stock crack of 1929, remarriage of the Princess with the Infante of Spain, Louis Ferdinand of Orleans and Bourbon) oblige the Princess to divide his estate from 1930 and to separate multiple objects of art. In 1938,, ruined, ceded the field reduced to 21 hectares (Castle, stables, a landscaped park ) to the State . Since 2007, the land of Chaumont belongs to Centre regional government.

    admission adult is 10,50€ check the weppage for the latest info on prices and hours. One of the hightlights here is the Festival of gardens now running in its 24th edition. More here
    http://www.domaine-chaumont.fr/en_festival_festival

    Chateau Chaumont-sur-Loire entrance the room salle d' honneur the stair or colimacon of the castle the castle from the garden on flower festival day stables of Chateau
    Related to:
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Historical Travel
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Chateau Meung-sur-Loire

    by gwened Written Mar 26, 2015

    Another wonderful property and needs to be discovered. on my wandering roads and now photos to show. The castle is right in city center about 500 meters north of the righ bank of the Loire and 750 meters south of the train station,near the road D18.

    A must see near the city of Orleans. A first castle, to serve as a residence for the Bishops of Orléans, is built in the middle of the 12C on the site of a cloister attached to the collegiate church Saint-Liphard. It remains today the cored towers flanking the Tower of the Church, say "tours Manasses of Garlande" (Bishop of Orléans from 1146 to 1185). From 1209 began the construction of a new episcopal Palace, more important, about 50 meters from the former which is then transformed into a prison.

    During the hundred years war, the castle became an English fortress, commanded by John Talbot and Thomas Scales, which will be taken over by Jeanne d'Arc and Jean II, Duke of Alençon on 14 June 1429, during the battle of Meung-sur-Loire.

    The poet François Villon is locked in the prison of the castle of Meung in 1461 by order of the Bishop of Orléans. Around 1500, a building is added to the North, with a drawbridge Tower. The castle is left abandoned from the wars of Religion, at the end of the 16C until the early 18C. The castle is taken in hand from 1706 by Bishop Louis-Gaston Fleuriau d'Armenonville who began to turn it into a residence for the approval and redesign the parts dating back to the 13C and the beginning of the 16C.

    From 1771 ,it was the residence of the Bishop Louis-Sextius Jarente of Heather, which continues the work started by Fleuriau d'Armenonville and decorate the castle with pomp. A neoclassical Chapel, decorated with statues of François Delaistre, is added in 1784. The Park is landscaped in English, with an artificial river. A small octagonal music Pavilion, an Orangery and a cooler are built in the Park. During the French Revolution, it is sold as a national asset and acquired by a private owner,but open to the public.

    So lucky it is open to the public, need to get a detour to see it

    Chateau de Meung-sur-Loire back of chateau garden side the tower ramparts inside
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Chateau Sully sur Loire

    by gwened Written Mar 26, 2015

    another wonderful castle on the Loire, centre region of France. The castle is located at city center on the left bank of the river Loire,near the bridge,at an angle on the road chemin de la Salle verte, and the avenue de Béthune , near the promenade des douves. The water surrounding it come from the lake of Marcon.

    It is the second most visited castle in the Loiret department , the description in general is like this
    The castle is surrounded by moats still and consists of two distinct parts: the donjon and the small castle. It is built at the confluence of the Loire and the Chickadee. The Dungeon, rectangular building confined by four circular towers, and equipped with a gate with two towers to the South, corresponds to the campaign by Guy de la Trémoille. On the first floor, the great room with its 17C wooden doors, painting of the Château de Rosny-sur-Seine on the mantel, finally the door railway giving access to the "office" of Sully. The frame under peak is a remarkable work of the 14C in broken cradle. It is doubled by a private dwelling of the same internal structure, but much more intimate, giving the measure of the dichotomy between the public and the private sector in the great princely courts.

    The small castle closed the Court to the South of the Dungeon. It includes a House and two towers, which to the Southeast, was built in the middle of the 15C on one older Tower, then than the other, called "Tower of Bethune", lower and terraced, is a "a canon Tower" built in 1605. The house from the 16C was the residence of the Lords of Sully. The body that joins the small castle to the Dungeon was added in the 18C and rebuilt after a fire in 1918. It has a vast garden.

    The history I like on it is this
    The castle is mentioned as early as 1102, controlling a bridge over the Loire River which disappeared as early as the 14C. It has over the centuries belonged to three families: the first Lords of Sully, the Thom family, and the family of Bethune.

    In 1218, Philippe Auguste had a main tower. In 1396, Gui VI de La Trémoille launches the construction of the present Castle. In 1524, a building is added to the East of the castle. It is acquired in 1602 by Maximilien de Béthune, du grand Sully, first Duke of the name. From 1602 to 1607, transformed the castle to its use, also building a park.

    The young Louis XIV took refuge in the castle in March 1652 during the Fronde of the princes. In 1715, the Castle welcomes Voltaire who fled Paris. In the middle of the 18C, a building was built North of the main body entry. The Castle suffered a fire in 1918 and the bombing of June 1940 and August 1944 during World War II. Some of the tapestries here done in the 17C and were taken by France in 1942 and transferred to buidling of Béthune-Sully in Paris, current seat of the Centre des Monuments Nationaux. The Castle remained in the family of the 1st Duke of Sully until 1962, year in which the general Council of the Loiret Department acquires and restores it.

    wonderful again a castle of the Loire

    bridge over Loire at chateau de Sully-sur-Loire side shot over the lake macon arriving Chateau de Sully-sur-Loire
    Related to:
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Chateau museum St Jean, Nogent-le-Rotrou

    by gwened Written Nov 13, 2014

    This is a great property and many times overlook. It is in the Centre region of France, dept No 28 Eure-et-Loir.

    Overlooking the Valley of the Huisne, an ancient fort of the 10C gave way to the 11C to the powerful rectangular keep surrounded by a deep ditch from which rises a circular enclosure, reinforced by seven round towers which both keep the entry. The castle is invested during the hundred years war and in 1428 the donjon was burned by Salisbury.

    Relieved of its ruins to Renaissance, the Châtelet and housing two storeys, overlooking a stair Tower supported keep, are rebuilt. Erected in Duchy-Peerage, the Castle returned in 1624 to Sully who built a small house of style Louis XIII. Transformed into prison during the French revolution and then doomed to abandonment, the castle is saved in 1843.

    Château musée Saint Jean houses a museum that allows to discover the architecture and the artistic style in the 19C such as Louis Moullin paintings, by Clara Filleul, pupil of Mehra, sculptures by Camille Gaté etc,a social and economic history of the region since 1959. The second floor houses the Museum on the life of the Perché in the 19C. The permanent collections relating to the history of the Castle (documents, engravings), economic history (stamens, tanneries, chapelleries), to life rural (agriculture, everyday life, furniture) and industrial boom (ceramics, glassware).
    The first room evokes the activities of everyday rural life. The second room displays artisanal and industrial productions related to iron, wood, glass,etc. In the two towers are exposed to one of the objects related to the breeding of the percheron horse, for other objects constituting a percheron Interior.

    The first floor is reserved for important temporary exhibitions of artistic, historical and ethnographic character. just wonderful in a medieval setting.

    I come by car but bus transbus, and train even TGV from Paris is available.

    castle St Jean entrance courtyard back of castle
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Chapelle Royale de Saint Louis,Dreux

    by gwened Written Jul 25, 2014

    a wonderful chapel that must be seen in Dreux, a town close to me before moving and one I had visited several times.
    First the basic info

    Opening hours:
    From 01 April to 30 June:
    -Open every day from 09:30 to 12:00 and 13:30 to 17 h 30, closed (s) Tuesday
    From 01 July to 31 August:
    -Open everyday from 09 h 30 to 12 h 30 and 13 h 30 to 18:00, closed the Tuesday
    From 01 September to 30 September:
    -Open every day from 09:30 to 12:00 and 13:30 to 17 h 30, closed (s) Tuesday.
    Admission adults is 8,20€

    the tourist office info in French is here
    http://www.ot-dreux.fr/en-pratique/110-chapelle-royale-saint-louis.html?code=7#.U9Ig2eN_vZc
    in contact is the official site of the Chapel,in English

    It belongs to the Orléans descendants and the fondation Saint Louis of France, with many nobles enterred there. A solemn place and wonderful for those interested in history like me. It is much to write as to who is here and how it came; I just concentrate on the general history and let you come in and dig more, it will be worth it.

    A bit of history I like
    Originally, Louis Jean Marie de Bourbon, duc de Penthièvre, forced to leave Rambouillet to Louis XVI, his cousin, who gave him the County of Dreux in 1775, is transfer of the Rambouillet Church on November 25, 1783 the nine coffins containing the bodies of his parents, the count Louis Alexandre de Bourbon and his wife Marie Victoire de Noaillesthe comte and comtesse de Toulouse, his wife Marie - Félicité of Este, Princess of Modena, of their son the prince of Lamballe and their five other dead downstairs children age. He chose as burial place for his family the collegiate church Saint-Étienne of the castle of Dreux.

    On 1793 Bizy the body of the Duke, who died March 4, is transported and buried clandestinely to Dreux between the count of Toulouse and his wife. November 21, 1793, in the French revolution perios the burials are retrieve , the tomb is violated, bodies are extracted and "thrown in a deep pit of six feet" in the cemetery of the canons, whose location will be later recognised by Lefebvre and Cholet, former servants of the Bourbon-Penthièvre.

    In September 1797, four years after having been imprisoned in the prison of Luxembourg, Louise Marie Adélaïde de Bourbon, Duchess of Orléans, daughter of the Duke, is expelled from France; the Castle and the collegiate church, property sequestered since the death of his father, are forfeited to the benefit of the Nation and sold 2 April 1798, a lumber merchant Chan who demolished the roof of the Church to recover materials and resells in 1801 the estate in François Belois, macon to Dreux, which remained there until 1816.

    February 14, 1816, the Duchess buys the land, built a chapel by Charles-Philippe Cramail, Parisian architect, given the project on October 1814 . It opens the site beginning May 1816 at the location of the mass grave and the first stone was laid on 19 September. Some materials come from the demolition of the former benedictine Abbey of Coulombs, near Nogent, and the ruins of the Château de la Ferté-Vidame.

    Royal Chapel
    From the spring of 1839, this neo-Gothic chapel was enlarged by his son, King Louis-Philippe, who made the necropolis of his family and his descendants, hence the nickname "Saint-Denis of the Orleans", in reference to the necropolis of the Bourbon. Victor Hugo narrated the translation of the remains of the ancestors of the family on April 23, 1844, in which the King himself contributed.

    The primitive chapel from 1816 was then completed by additions of neo-Gothic style, and from 1843 to 1845 its many windows were topped with magnificent stained-glass windows run at the manufactory of Sèvres, using the technique of manufacture of glasses dyed in the mass. The twelve large ogival windows of the transept are decorated with stained glass representative of the saints on "Sèvres blue" background, whose cards have been drawn by Ingres, which reproduced on this occasion four stained-glass windows that he executed for the funerary chapel of Neuilly in memory of prince Ferdinand, eldest son of Louis-Philippe, killed in an accident in 1842. Viollet-le-Duc has designed the Gothic pinnacles framing each of the twelve characters. Five other stained glass windows depicting the life of Saint-Louis adorn the chapel of the Virgin; three have disappeared. The drawings are by Eugène Delacroix, Hippolyte Flandrin, Georges Rouget, Claudius-Jacquand, Horace Vernet, Charles-Marie button and Walid.

    The arrow of the chapel of the Virgin which housed a Bell was destroyed by lightning in July 1875, and never rebuilt. On 15 August 1944, German shells damaged the ambulatory, destroyed three of the eight stained glass windows on the life of Saint-Louis placed in 1843, as well as sculptures and recumbent.

    Bequeathed with the Château de Dreux by Henri d ' Orléans (1908-1999), count of Paris ", the chapel now belongs to the Saint-Louis Foundation.

    Royal Chapel of Saint Louis Ste Ad��la��de,queen of Lombardy given food to poor the cupola or dome at the Chapel arriving at the Royal Chapel of St Louis from the ramparts of chapel the city Dreux
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Chateau de Châteaudun

    by gwened Written Jun 4, 2014

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    here is another jewel in the valley of the king, region Centre of France. This one pull from the vault is not descriptive of the beauty you find in the castle but worth to give you an idea.

    The Château de Châteaudun was built around the 12C and even later to the 16C on a rocky hill overlooking the river Loir below it. The oldes part now existing is the donjon where it shows built by 1180AD by Thibaut V, count of Blois.

    The one Jean de Dunois (1402-1468), the bastard of Louis Ier d'Orléans and companion of Jeanne d'Arc had lived in the castle as prize for helping free his half brother Charles d’Orléans,prisioner of the English. He renovated the place into his residence adding other buildings such as the logis of gothic style and the chapel. A second wing was added or renaissance style in the 17C. The castle if greatly well preserve.

    See the donjon, chapel and aile (wing)Dunois, Longueville,and the tapestries.

    arriving Chateau de Ch��teaudun Front with stairs at Chateau
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Chateau de Serrant

    by gwened Written Apr 28, 2014

    a wonderful property that needs more visitors, missing a good one if passing by here.You will fall in love...

    It was a medieval fortress here now only ruins near the douves of the present castle, belongs to Françoise de Serrant and Jean de Brie at the 15C. All started in 1546; with Jean de Brie and then continues with Hercule de Rohan, Duke of Montbazon in 1596; then Guillaume Bautru in 1636, which daughter marries the Marquis de Vauban, lt gen of the army of the king. In the 18C the property passes to Antoine Walsh, Irish noble that follows James II Stuart in exile to France. One of the descendant marries the duke de la Trémoille in 1830, to enter into the family for good still theirs.

    It has a magnificent renaissance stairs with sculpture shields on it, , the apartments are wonderfully furnished and decorated. Before a grand cour d'honneur grill door and parvis. Wonderful paintings , a great Library with 12000 books; including first edition of the Fables of La Fontaine and L'Encyclopédie of Diderot.
    A wonderful chapel overlooking the cour d'honneur entrance done by Jules Hardouin-Mansart. you see a wonderful tombstone in white marble designed by Lebrun and sculpture by Coysevox et Collignon, of the marquis de Vauban killed at the battle of Altenheim in 1673.

    A must if in the area, Worth a détour, see it

    Chateau de Serrant entrance arriving Chateau de Serrant side of Chateau de Serrant along the moat and oldest tower, Serrant
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Chateau Montreuil-Bellay

    by gwened Written Apr 28, 2014

    another wonderful castle of the loire region centre.
    At the entrance to the castle you have the place des ormeaux with the ruins of the original castle. You see the barbacane with douves to protect the entry to the castle. The interior is known for its medieval chimney of the same style than at Fontevraud, renovated in the 15C. The logis des chanoines from the 15C has four tour stairs in conical shape that leads tothe four rooms of the canons . The castle as we see it is from the 15C.

    you are good to follow Inside to the rooms of the chambre de la duchesse de Longueville, Grand Salon (with great tapestries), and the petit salon de Musique.

    Inside you see the chapel Notre Dame, built from 1472 to 1484 with a chapter of 14 canons brothers.
    In the gardens you can see ruins of the Church of St Pierre ,11C, burned by the protestants in the 16C right Under the trees, you can see the two wings of the cloister of Nobis ,17C:

    the city site in French on the castle
    http://www.ville-montreuil-bellay.com/web/p115-histoire_de_la_ville.html

    Chateau de Montreuil-Bellay entrance gardens and park of Chateau Montreuil Bellay
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Chateau de Villandry

    by gwened Written Apr 20, 2014

    One of the tops castles to visit in the loire valley,région centre of France. Easy to get from Tours on the Routes de Vallées ,D7,later route de Tours, reaching Villandry. Trains from Paris to Tours then a taxi to Villandry is easiest.
    check the official site for times and prices now 10€ adults here
    http://www.chateauvillandry.fr/en/pratical-informations/opening-times/

    You come to a Cinderella castle beautically done. It has 6 gardens, a donjon tower, overlooking a potager or vegetable garden section, a flower garden , water garden, sun garden done in 2008, a labyrinth of charmilles, , and the garden of medieval inspirations. A lawn tennis section was added in 2010. The interior dates from the 18C.

    After going thru several owners beginning with a fortress that was here name Colombiers (name of Villandry in the middle ages) in the year 1189,to signt the peace of Colombiers , when king Henry II Plantagenêt,of England comes before king Philippe Auguste of France to recognise his defeat. It finally goes in the end of 1906,to be owned by Doctor Joachim Carvallo,born in Spain in 869, and his wife Ann Coleman, a rich family of metal empire from the USA and great great grand parents of the current owner of Villandry.

    The main attraction here are the gardens, and a bit description follows;
    The gardens of the chateau are the replenishment from ancient texts to a French garden of the 14C. These gardens are divided into four terraces: an upper terrace with the garden of the Sun (first in 2008), then a terrace with the garden of water surrounded by a cloister of lime trees and a terrace allowing ornamental garden or garden of embroidery of boxwood and yew in Topiary and finally a bottom with decorative garden terrace,also forming a design of embroidery.

    Located above the ornamental garden extends the salons of the Castle. A Mount allows to have a magnificent view on the whole. It consists of the gardens of love divided into 4 sets:
    The set includes also a maze planted Charmilles, whose purpose is to rise spiritually to the central platform, a garden of simples, i.e. of aromatic and medicinal plants, traditional in the middle ages, the forest with some flowery terraces around a greenhouse and a beautiful Pavilion of the 18C, the Pavilion of the hearing, finally the garden of the Sun, the latest addition, with 3 green spaces. House of clouds in shades of blue and white, the House of the Sun dominated the yellow-orange and the House of children with his Apple trees.

    The fountains and gazebos in the Garden have been restored from 1994. The gardens are bordered to the North by towers, in the route de Tours, on the West by the wall of fence along the plant labyrinth.

    The tourist site of the Tours region in English here
    http://www.tours-tourisme.fr/destinations/villandry/chateau-de-villandry

    Chateau de Villandry view from gardens to castle the all��e du potager in gardens the petit canal from castle to gardens the cour d'honneur out to gardens
    Related to:
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    The Faience of Gien

    by gwened Written Apr 17, 2014

    One of the best in the world and right in castle country, its a must if only to see their museum. Boutique store on site. a bit of history

    It is in 18212 that English industrialist Thomas Edme Hulm, said "Hall" as his father, having sold the manufacture of Montereau run by his family since 1774, acquires the land and buildings of the former convent of the Minimes to install a new factory of faience, English style,regaining world fame. Gien faïence developed the technique of cloisonné enamels, born at Longwy in Lorraine, around 1870.

    The most famous inspirations, include many decorations:
    • those so-called "Gien" bottomed brown black or blue majolica decor 'Italian Renaissance' with its tendrils, his loves and his chimeras, etc. inspired particularly by productions of Faenza, Urbino or Savona;
    • those so-called ' way, inspired by the porcelain of Saxony, in the form of floral decorations, musical attributes, loves or cherubs finely drawn in medallions foliage, in a cameo of pink or purple but also enhanced with Parma lavender blue;
    • those so-called "the horn", "mantling" and "ironwork", inspired by the productions of the earthenware of Rouen auxviiie century;
    • rural or maritime landscapes inspired earthenware of Marseilles;
    • The so-called China "English" inspired by Wedgwood earthenware, in the form of models to the tone of bluish white and purple blue.
    • Blue and white, shades inspired earthenware of Delft on the theme of large open flowers, peacocks, branches, or Chinese scenes.
    • the lavish polychrome from the far East.

    The company has a museum situated inside de la Faïencerie. You can admire a collection of fine earthenware pieces made by the factory between 1820 and 1920, as well as the reconstitution of a dining room dating from the 19C. Wonderful!!

    The tourist info on the city page of Gien in French
    http://www.gien.fr/decouvrir-gien.php?page=62

    faience manuf of Hall et Guyon in Gien
    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Historical Travel
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Chateau de Langeais

    by gwened Written Apr 3, 2014

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    one of the most emblematic castles in the Loire valley and one very much attach to my new home of Brittany.
    Anne de Bretagne, duchess of Brittany and two times queen of France,500 anniversary of her birth exhibition from April 11 to December 31 2014 for free with the price of admission to the castle,now at 9€ adult.

    The costumes and decorations are wonderful as Anne really dressed up and added many touches, see separate entry on her on my Bretagne page here.

    The site will tell you the basic info on admission,hours, events, collections, there, I am into the history of these wonderful properties and like to tell you about this one here

    The castle was built between 1465 and 1470, it presents an exemplary architectural coherence. Severe and imposing façade hides however a courtyard more refined that heralds the Renaissance. But its main attraction is the historical consistency of its interior. Far from wearing an abundant wealth, it makes us penetrate in a living world where luxury is synonymous with sobriety.

    Back in the park, ruins on 12 meters attract the eye of the visitor, giving us a glimpse of the historical importance of the castle since the 15C. it's the Dungeon of Foulques Nerra, one of the oldest remains of medieval fortifications in France. Outpost to defend the city of Tours, it dates from the end of the 10C, and takes its name from its sponsor, the count of Anjou Foulques Nerra III. It was destroyed by the English during the hundred years war, 1428.The construction of the present Castle began in 1465 on order of Louis XI. One of its functions is to monitor the Loire and defend the Touraine against attacks that would come from the West.

    However, on this side, the greatest threat is embodied in the person of the Duke of Brittany. From 6 December 1491, the Château de Langeais is found in the heart of the conflict between the Crown of France and the Duchy of Brittany. However, a war does not take place. Instead, Charles VIII marries Anne of Brittany, making the union of the Duchy and the realm of France.

    Businessman Jacques Siegfried bought it in 1886 and renovated the Interior to the taste of the 15C. In 1904, he confided to the Institut de France, which has always owned it. Located in a compact and imposing block in the heart of the small town of Langeais, the castle can be accessed through a drawbridge still in condition, framed by two massive towers. Punctuated by towers, with few openings, the fortress provides a sense of rigour to the military use of the middle ages. However, windows and skylights, the Interior façade give the site a lightness and finesse that better befits a place of residence.

    Beyond architecture, it is above all interior that holds the attention. Amazing work allows us to penetrate into the stately world of 15C. Period furnishings, woodwork and especially tapestries give each room or rooms amazing richness and consistency. Wandering freely from one room to another, the visitor has the feeling that these parts still welcome their guests regularly. They still contain rarities and treasures: one of the first wardrobes rebirth of one side, a Virgin and child from the 15C on the other at the ground floor, banquet room, flanked with a monumental fireplace, has particularly attracted attention. Just above, the the Wedding Hall or salle de marriages offers a re-enactment of the marriage of Charles VIII and Anne of Brittany.The third floor (4fl) give us a theme of this living environment to present two themed areas: the cabinet of sacred art brings together religious works including a 13C reliquary chasse. Finally, the valiant Knights room crowns the exceptional collection of tapestry of the Castle: under a beautiful frame keel-vaulted, a unique suite of 16C presents each of the Neuf Preux, symbols of the great chivalrous values. Finally, the chemin de ronde, who has the distinction of being covered, offers, along the facade, a beautiful view of the Loire Valley.

    description translated from the site of the loire chateaux
    http://loire-chateaux.org/Les-19-Chateaux-De-La-Loire/Chateau-De-Langeais/Acces-Et-Informations-Pratiques-Chateau-De-Langeais.html

    a wonderful beautiful castle with an intriguing history of Brittany. Go see it

    Chateau de Langeais entrance tower door entr Charles VII and Anne de Bretagne back fo castle the gardens
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Castles and Palaces

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Fortress castle of Chinon

    by gwened Updated Apr 3, 2014

    a historic castle of France with ties to England. A great encounter of Jeanne d'Arc with the heir later Charles VII in 1429 ,that gave the impetus to secure the expulsion of the English and the solidification of the French crown. Older photos before the renovation.

    The castle fortress is hanging literally over the city of Chinon, built by the count of Blois Thibaut Ier.

    A huge renovation project just finished giving it a wonderful look , the castle has 4 royal rooms or logis royaux, as representing four periods of the history of it such as Foulques IV, "le Réchin", Henri II Plantagenêt, Philippe Auguste , and Jeanne d’Arc. Each with projections and motifs of the period, beautifully done.

    A first floor (2nd) has two rooms showing the old museum of Jeanne d'Arc in the tour de l’Horloge. The history of the Saint from Domrémy to the burning at the cross passing by Chinon with objects of arts from the 18,19,20C, statues, bronzes, embroidery, etc as well.

    The exterior shows the towers or tours such as Boissy, le Coudray, Argenton and Chiens. They are fill with selected themes such as Joan of Arc, the Templars, the construction in the middle ages. The Royal rooms or logis house ...it houses the exhibition halls, ticket office and shop. The facade is treated in the continuity of the ramparts.

    a bit of history
    A castle is built no later than the 10C. Henri II Plantagenêt, count of Anjou and King of England from 1154, that will give the fortress its present silhouette by including a Palace out of fort St. George.In 1205, after a long siege, the King of France Philippe Auguste is master of the fortress and built several towers.In 1308, the site was the scene of a milestone in the history of the order of the Temple. Grand master Jacques de Molay and some high dignitaries of the order are incarcerated there, before being tried and burned in Paris.

    wonderful place now better than ever, with a salon de thé and boutique.admission is 8,5€ but see the official site for updates, as well as hours and dates. The tourist office
    http://www.ot-saumur.fr/FORTERESSE-ROYALE-DE-CHINON_a12141.html

    from the banks of the Vienne up to Chinon out to river Vienne from chateau de Chinon
    Related to:
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Historical Travel
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Chateau de Valençay

    by gwened Written Apr 2, 2014

    2 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This one been long time ago,and can't find enough photos but just to show it must be visited when in the area.

    The castle has a very nice architecture style from renaissance to classical, and it was the property of the one and only Charles-Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord for 30 years.
    Valençay has very nice decoration in marble, portraits, and arts as well as a rich furniture. The rooms or salons and private apartments offers you a rich diverse look at the splendor of the castles of the Loire, and the Château de Valençay is certaintly one.

    a bit of history I like to tell
    There is history of a castle here since 1026AD ; the castle or château de Valençay is in the town of Valençay, and it was the property of the house or Maison d'Estampes from 1451 to 1747, then the prince of Talleyrand.
    In 1803 the sale is done to Talleyrand,in 1902 the last of the dukes of Talleyrand-Valençay had closed the windows of the gallery of arcades in the court of honor, where the portraits of the ancestors of Talleyrand,were done in 1810 by the painter Joseph Chabord (1786-1848), student of Regnault, and author of two other equestrian paintings of Napoleon 1er.

    From 1808 to December 1813, Ferdinand VII of Spain his brother don Carlos, his uncle don Antonio, were assigned to residence under the supervision of the Berthemy Knights. The Treaty of Valençay, which was signed on the night of 10 to 11 December 1813, then gave him the Crown of Spain and the three princes returned to their country on 12 March 1814. Their memory is evoked by "the House of the King of Spain", maison du roi d'Espagne a covered Alley near the Castle, and one act of baptism dated June 23, 1810, kept in the parish archives that bears their signatures and imprecise date in the 19C, in the parish church by a Saint-Ferdinand surrounded in the arms of Castile and León ,given by the King to the priest during his departure but who, burned by a candle placed too close, was then replaced by a copy of the painter Jobbé-Duval.

    Talleyrand, who returned to live there from 1816, was Councillor Alderman and Mayor of Valençay. did many things to help the castle and the local town. Including a house to help the poor,and sick, Talleyrand, who was interested in the work of the nuns, frequently visited what was called "the House of charity", and there led its guests, including David Bishop, Archbishop of Bourges, the Duke of Orléans. By a codicil to his will of March 9, 1837, Talleyrand, who died a year later, ensured the perpetuity of the establishment, and expressed the desire to be buried and to this effect had a large crypt under the choir of the chapel of the free school.

    During World War II, the Castle houses a part of the works of the Museum of the Louvre, including the ancient statuary, the Cabinet of drawings and the Crown jewels. They escaped the destruction on August 16, 1944, where the 2nd SS division Das Reich invests the city in retaliation for the killing by the rebels, two nazis soldiers on the edge of the forest surrounding the Castle.The Duke of Talleyrand, availing itself of its German title of Duke of Sagan, and especially Gérald Van der Kemp, future Chief Curator of Versailles, talk with the Nazis so that they save the Castle and its irreplaceable artistic content, which they came to realise. Without direct descendents, the last Duke of Valençay, Boson, bequeathed his possessions to Jean Morel, son of his third wife, who sold the castle in 1979 to an association including the Department of Indre and the commune of Valençay. The former Orangery (1785) has long housed a Talleyrand Museum today disappeared, the objects and furniture have been relocated to the Castle. At the same time, the former manege, where Boson de Talleyrand-Valençay parked his personal plane, hosted a car Museum. The ride was dismantled to be replaced by the Grand labyrinth of Napoleon and the automobile Museum is now situated avenue de la Résistance, in a former supermarket located near Valençay train station on land donated by the Talleyrand. Many books from the library, acquired before 1935 by Count Moïse de Camondo, are preserved at the Musée Nissim de Camondo in Paris.

    The area of the Park, which has a cooler, is a forty hectares.The French garden dates from the beginning of the 20C and a part of the land has been transformed into a wildlife park. Just lovely, another castle. Admission is about 12€ but check the site for the current update as well as hours it can be read in English as well. Inside it has a restaurant and a boutique store for souvenirs.

    this is their old webpage as they are working on a new one I have in contact section
    http://www.chateau-valencay.fr/index.php/fr/

    the garden and castle of Valen��ay back garden at Valen��ay from the park backside of Valen��ay the gardens at Valen��ay
    Related to:
    • Museum Visits
    • Historical Travel
    • Castles and Palaces

    Was this review helpful?

  • gwened's Profile Photo

    Chateau de Chambord

    by gwened Written Mar 30, 2014

    this is the beauty in oversize proportions, sitting like a city in the middle of a vast park. It even has a village attached not far as Chambord ville.

    The counts of Blois built a small cottage here in the forest of Boulogne and François I from 1518 ask to erase this cottage and built a bigger one. Even Leonardo De Vinci had something to do with the designs. even in periods of little money, wars and ransom o fhis two son, the project continue. They briefly stop in 1524-25 when the defeat at Pavia, Italy. the initial building has 117 by 156 meters.It was finally finished in 1545.

    Henri II added the west wing and the tour of the chapel,even after his death in 1559,the work is still unfinished. François II and Charles IX come here for hunting trips, then Louis XIII starts the habits of Kings coming here, and Louis XIV had nine visits between 1660 and 1685.

    Moliére does the work of "Monsieur de Pourceaugnac" here that finally conquered Louis XIV liking the work.

    In 1809, Napoléon I gave it to Berthier, prince of Wagram but he does not take care of the property and left it abandoned. The sale is by public auction in 1821 and the buyer is the duke of Bordeaux, heir to the Crown.

    The biggest even in France history happened here on the affair of the chapeau blanc or white flag (1871-1873) ;Henri, count of chambord and heir to the throne of France after the death of his grandfather Charles X try to get the crown of France from here. ON July 5 1871 he proclaimed his convictions of doing this as never to abandoned the white flag of Henri IV. After these declaration the count of Chambord is force to leave to Austria, therefore Henri V never ruled France, died in 1883. the castle passes to his nephew ,the duke of Parma. IN 1932, the State of France buys from the heritageowners for the sum of 11 millions francs. It is still managed by the regional government.

    You can visit its vast domaine but prinicipaly do not missed the Cour d'honneur, escalier or stairs of double revolution, creation of Leonard de Vinci, the appartments in street level and first floor with its huge collection of tapestries Flemish and French. IN the first floor, you see the apartment of François I by the north tower of the building,his cabinet, room of the queen, apartment of the king, ,salle de gardes or troop of the king room, apartment of the dauphin or son heir, these full of arms , trophies, paintings, engravings and tapestries.

    It has a gorgeous terrace, similar to that of Saumur, underneath the terrace you see the stairs or escalier in one direction, ending with a spacious room of 32 sqmeters. The parc is inmense, it has been name a hunting ground preserve from 1948, the biggest wall of France 32 kms around it with five archdoors that gives way to the automobile routes. As well as the stables of the marshal Saxe, in its ruins there is now a beautiful specacle retracing the history of the castle, the renaissance, and the counts of Chambord.

    Its one of the must to visit castles in the loire, region Centre. In addition this is the region tourism office
    http://www.bloischambord.co.uk/discover/our-castles/domaine-national-de-chambord-en

    the détails on prices, hours etc better to check the links for the latest news.the bus 18 takes you from Blois from April to September ,otherwise is a taxi about 30 minutes but never taken it. I come by car.
    http://www.transports-du-loir-et-cher.com/telechargement/H%20Ligne%2018.pdf

    Chateau de Chambord the gallery of hunters with trophies the room foot of stairs circular 32m2 space the gardens from castle back the parvis to escalier in two directions
    Related to:
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

Centre Hotels

See all 543 Hotels in Centre

Top Centre Hotels

Tours Hotels
200 Reviews - 619 Photos
Orléans Hotels
66 Reviews - 223 Photos
Bourges Hotels
60 Reviews - 169 Photos
Sancerre Hotels
36 Reviews - 102 Photos
Amboise Hotels
142 Reviews - 406 Photos
Chinon Hotels
18 Reviews - 59 Photos
Beaugency Hotels
19 Reviews - 56 Photos
Villandry Hotels
90 Reviews - 302 Photos
Chartres Hotels
252 Reviews - 952 Photos
Blois Hotels
101 Reviews - 333 Photos
Montargis Hotels
2 Reviews - 4 Photos
Loches Hotels
31 Reviews - 79 Photos
Vouzon Hotels
1 Hotel
Vouvray Hotels
3 Hotels
Vouvray Hotels
1 Hotel

Instant Answers: Centre

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

23 travelers online now

Comments

Centre Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Centre things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Centre sightseeing.
Map of Centre