Old town, Tours

• codrutz's Profile Photo

Place Plumereau

by codrutz Written Sep 29, 2008

Place Plumereau is the central square of Tours. It is the most picturesque and busiest place in Tours. Restaurants here are affordable, contrary to the habit of raising the price like hell in central squares.

Therefore my advice is to take a table and enjoy a meal, a wine the view and the buzz.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Tour Charlemagne

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Nov 11, 2006

Tour Charlemagne

The medieval district of the old town is well restored. Small Place Plumereau is surrounded by ensemble of fahverque houses of the XV century.

Walking through labyrinthes of narrow streets gives a really great pleasure. The fahverque house Tour Charlemagne is the most remarkable in the city centre.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Plumroe Square

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Nov 11, 2006

Tours - Old Town - Plumroe Square

Picturesque Place Plumerau and Place du Grand Marche are the center of the Old town.
    Walking along the old city is rather pleasant.
    It is possible to find there a cosy cafe and to drink a cup of coffee, enjoying an atmosphere of the medieval city.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo

Enjoy Place Plumereau

by tiabunna Written Jun 21, 2006

Open air relaxation in place Plumerau

Place Plumerau is the main square of the ‘old town’. With tourism the main business in the district these days, it is hardly surprising that it is well served with a choice of eating and drinking opportunities. I didn’t stop here, but I rather fancy that sitting in this square with a group of friends on a sunny day, with its mediaeval buildings surrounding, would have to be very pleasant. Even wandering through was enjoyable.

If you wander westwards along rue de Commerce from the Cathedral, it is not a long walk to find yourself here. Alternatively, head up rue Nationale (the main street) from place Jean Jaurès, then left via rue du Maréchal Foch or rue de Commerce - either way, the streets in this area become fairly tangled, so it is nice just to wander and find your destination almost by luck!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo

Walk the old town.

by tiabunna Updated Jun 20, 2006

Facade of old building, Tours

The ”Vieille Ville” part of Tours has a goodly number of buildings dating from the 14th and 15th centuries. Incredibly, I have read that there were moves in 1957 to ‘do a Haussmann’ and replace much of the old part with ‘new’ buildings. Fortunately, sanity took over and instead the old buildings were repaired and renovated.

To make it easier to appreciate the old town, its streets have now been ‘pedestrianised’, to make walking about it more pleasant. It is, and I am happy to recommend it: my suggestion though, is that you first visit the Office de Tourisme and pick up a copy of their excellent brochure "Tours - Capitale des Chateaux de la Loire" which has a good map (and English translations of the main points). You may have to ask at the counter for it, as I did.

• FinElina's Profile Photo

The little alleys and streets of old town

by FinElina Written May 10, 2006

The old town of Tours is very beautiful and lively. I enjoyed walking along the little streets and alleys and popping into some shops every now and then. There's also a nice ice-cream bar in the old town, try it!

Rue Gd Marche

by Sharrie Updated Jun 1, 2003

Another charming sight. As I delved into the Old City, the layers of familiarity began to unfold & I began to feel a sense of belonging here. It's almost as if I had been here before. A most unusual feeling...

Rue du Commerce

by Sharrie Updated Jun 1, 2003

One of the main streets of the old town.

Tours is a very safe city to walk in. No beggars like in Paris & no pickpocketers. Well, at least as I've experienced it! Perhaps I'm dressed too poorly to be pickpocketed? ;-)

Guyon warned me about pickpocketing operations in Paris. Fact is, I only have a digital camera which I'm itching to replace. If I'm sooo "lucky", then my travel insurance will get me a new toy in no time. Wouldn't that be great? ;-)

Remember, travel insurance!!!
    Also, keep all your documents in the hotel safe. Just bring along a xerox copy & carry that in your bag.

Place Anatole?

by Sharrie Updated May 31, 2003

This is not a tip. It's not a must-see.

It's something I saw which I've no idea what it's all about.

It's something I thought interesting despite not knowing anything.

It's just something I wish to share with anyone who wish to see. That's all.

Exploring the Old Town

by Sharrie Updated May 31, 2003

Just a short walk away from St. Gathien is the old town of the city. The atmosphere is a little touristy, like most of the old towns. It has nice architecture though & it's here that I found the French attitudes towards tourists have changed for the better in the last few years!

I was looking for the internet cafe just to check if the 2 VTers I'm supposed to meet in Paris had any change of plans. It turned out there was. Looking for one with a French address on hand wasn't quite easy since I don't speak a single word of French, or may be I do. Just "bonjour" & "merci" which get me almost everywhere, lol... Oh well, I found this pub finally, it has the same street number but I knew it wasn't what I was looking for. Had to ask someone afterall... since I don't believe in breaking my legs just to find an internet cafe! Surprise, surprise! There was quite a few of them there but none could speak English. Anyhow, they finally understood what I was looking for & were helpful enough to show me the way. & one even came out of the pub to show me the direction! So, one person does make all the difference in this world! Demi, remember this!!!

• Pierre_Rouss's Profile Photo

The city of Loches

by Pierre_Rouss Updated Nov 21, 2002

The city of Loches.
    Nice mediaval city. Visit the funny church with square shaped towers.
    One of numerous place where Jeanne d'Arc have stopped in her life (it's funny how everybody in France wants to tell you somebody famous stepped or slept here and there).
    Classification: Photography , Site Seeing

Wooden Shophouses

by Sharrie Updated Jun 1, 2003

These wooden shophouses are said to be from the 16th & 17th century. Anyone can verify that? It's not that important to me, but you know, some people are very particular about the century!

The Old Town

by Sharrie Updated May 31, 2003

The Old Town is charming... a good break away from the newer part of the city.

Shophouses, cafes & taverns...

Streets for walking...

Nice!

Orientation

by Sharrie Updated May 28, 2003

Walking around & checking out the "vibes". It feels safe & looks like some place I'd like. At that time, I had no idea how much!

• Castles and Palaces

• Pierre_Rouss's Profile Photo

The whole city of Amboise

by Pierre_Rouss Updated Nov 21, 2002

The whole city of Amboise.
    Nice mediaval city with fortification and the castle.
    Classification: Photography , Site Seeing

Instant Answers: Tours

Comments

Other Things to Do in Tours