Other than the large number of stained glass windows and its architecture, the church has little that is noteworthy as furnishings. The Altar has a miniature baldachin. There are old capitals on the columns in the chancel that are figurated and more severe ones in the nave that are foliated in keeping with the large amount of sculptural talent available at the time. Also around the chancel is a 12-13C tomb slab from the grave of an early bishops. The Rose window on the West Front is more modern (19C).
Unless one has a very detailed guide or is very knowledgeable about the development of stained glass technic, it is hard to date church windows. So adept are modern workers that perfect imitations of ancient styles can be produced. Only pigment colors and aging effects are clues for critics. The windows are 16C and quite fine, especially on the South side. Our illustrations cover windows dealing with the Compassion and Dormition of the Virgin and the Life of Christ. A fine example of 19C simulation of earlier style is the West Front (including the Rose; by Didron 1863).
The interior is long and this is emphasized by a considerable height. The four levels give it that height which continues around the choir area. The elevation is of 4 levels as is typical of the Parisian type of early Gothic with a tall tribune gallery and a small blind triforium under the small clerestory windows. The arched bays are each quite large, with supporting large compound piers. The stonework filling the vaults is clearly visible. The builders incorporated all the recent innovations such as flying buttresses outside. Thus this structure is a good example of the transition from Romanesque to Gothic typical of the late 12C and thereafter
Favorite thing: Gothic (meaning originally barbaric) Art was belittled until the mid-19C or later. In 1759 the Canons of Notre-dame-en-Vaux decided to demolish the church's cloister in order to build themselves new homes. They used some of the stonework in their foundations and walls. Their comfortable existence suddenly terminated with the Revolution and their buildings deteriorated. In 1960 with a 1752 set of drawings in hand, careful removal and archeological recovery disclosed large amounts of stonework from the late 12C that is so beautiful it brings tears to ones eyes. These items have been cleaned, reassembled to a degree, and lovingly displayed in a new gallery on the site, which tries to give a feeling of the original. Many of the pieces are the finest of the period and any of them would be proudly exhibited in any Art Museum in the world. (There are two additional Tips in the Things to Do Section)